Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

OMFG FURRY posted:

that bump is in line when the protests started, good job freedom.

That's way too soon, symptoms take about a week on average to show and there's a lag before the test results get processed and returned. It's probably the fallout from Easter, the protest bump will start next Monday/Tuesday.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

This page is terrible

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is that JHU jump an incorrect data entry? The other trackers I follow are both sitting at ~26k new cases for yesterday

code:
Google: 4-20: 24.5k // 4-21: 25.5k // 2 day total: 49,897
Bing:   4-20: 31.5k // 4-21: 28.0k // 2 day total: 59,433
JHU:    4-20: 25.2k // 4-21: 39.5k // 2 day total: 64,700
v:confused:v I'd still trust Johns Hopkins since they've been tracking since the very beginning. There's certainly a bump though.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 22, 2020

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/ChrisGiles_/status/1252841436317315072
https://twitter.com/pranesh/status/1252886640063729668

And the numbers are very similar to what the UK Institute and Faculty of Actuaries Continuous Mortality Investigation are estimating for the same value.

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/news-and-insights/news/cmi-calculates-deaths-attributable-covid-19

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

shovelbum posted:

Lol 20% and rising hospitalization rate and I'm guessing you're not getting to the hospital without being well into lasting damage

20% of the people sick enough to get tested which are only the sickest.
Based on the fact that 3% of the population has had this virus over here (half a million people) but only 10k hospitalizations it's closer to 2%.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

this virus seems like it's just tearing through the immune system pressing random buttons like a kid in an elevator

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
gently caress
I quit smoking after 30 loving years right before a pandemic where somehow
SOMEHOW
smoking is mf protective
Just kill me fast God the irony is too much.

The insane part is I can't now, my mother would absolutely blow a loving gasket and I am at her house. Spare me the antismoking posts, I KNOW how bad it is. Let's all hope they figure out how to make what is protective from cig smoking into a pill or treatment or something. Jc I'm so pissed. 😑

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Spinz posted:

gently caress
SOMEHOW
smoking is mf protective

The insane part is I can't now, my mother would absolutely blow a loving gasket and I am at her house. Spare me the antismoking posts, I KNOW how bad it is. Let's all hope they figure out how to make what is protective from cig smoking into a pill or treatment or something. Jc I'm so pissed. 😑

This is....the opposite of true?

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Spinz posted:

gently caress
SOMEHOW
smoking is mf protective

Is your source for this a single unverified guy on twitter from a few pages back?
So less evidence than trump pills had (which were at least being trialed by actual medical professionals).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Spinz posted:

gently caress
SOMEHOW
smoking is mf protective

In what world do you think smoking cigarettes in general is ever good for you or in any way will help, just smoke weed like a normal person

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Spinz posted:

gently caress
SOMEHOW
smoking is mf protective

too much cspam spin

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
https://www.qeios.com/read/article/571

tl;dr medical study: "the Covid-19 population exhibited a significantly weaker current daily smoker rate by 80.3 % for outpatients and by 75.4 % for inpatients. Thus, current smoking status appears to be a protective factor against the infection by SARS-CoV-2"

"Smoking has severe pathological consequences and remains a serious danger for health. Yet under controlled settings, Nicotinic agents could provide an efficient treatment for an acute infection such as Covid-19."

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 22, 2020

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Spinz posted:

gently caress
SOMEHOW
smoking is mf protective

Smoking is bad for your immune system, lungs, and so many other vital parts. Yore in a better spot than I, spin.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

NihilismNow posted:

Is your source for this a single unverified guy on twitter from a few pages back?
So less evidence than trump pills had (which were at least being trialed by actual medical professionals).

Hey
There have been lots of studies- LOTS
I'm not going to get into it, I know it's v counterintuitive
I'm also not afraid to post about it
The irony of it for me in particular is insane

Again, let's hope it leads the way to something efficacious for all of us.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Has anyone correlated the effects of long term angel dust usage against Covid-19? Asking for a friend.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I posted the same in UKMT but the lockdown most likely reduced overall mortality as fewer people are getting killed in car accidents etc and other infectious diseases are also being impacted by it amongst other things. Yet you still see that "the lockdown is killing people" rhetoric being trotted out.

The economic impact has been huge and that might drive people to desperate measures. That needs to be mitigated. So would the type of breakdown that would ensue after a pandemic ran wild though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The tar in cigarettes holds your bones together stronger plus smoking makes you look cool which reduces depression by making you 7% more likely to get your penis sucked upon

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Spinz posted:

Hey

idea: tell your mom you're a big grown boy and can smoke cigs if you want to, because it's your allowance money and you earned it... I believe in you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Munin posted:

I posted the same in UKMT but the lockdown most likely reduced overall mortality as fewer people are getting killed in car accidents etc[...]

In Wisconsin in the US traffic was down 50% but fatalities were up 50% because only the absolute stupidest people are on the road apparently

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
second hand smoke: it's now good, folks

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

is this one of those times where spreading a research paper as gospel might just be a wee bit irresponsible?

quote:

Until recently [39], no firm conclusions could be drawn from studies evaluating the rates of current smokers in Covid-19. All these studies [40-48], although reporting low rates of current smokers, ranging from 1.4% to 12.5%, did not take into account the main potential confounders of smoking including age and sex. In the study that two of us are reporting [1], the rates of current smoking remain below 5 % even when main confounders for tobacco consumption, i.e. age and sex, in- or outpatient status, were considered. Compared to the French general population, the Covid-19 population exhibited a significantly weaker current daily smoker rate by 80.3 % for outpatients and by 75.4 % for inpatients. Thus, current smoking status appears to be a protective factor against the infection by SARS-CoV-2. Although the chemistry of tobacco smoke is complex, these data are consistent with the hypothesis that its protective role takes place through direct action on various types of nAChRs expressed in neurons, immune cells (including macrophages), cardiac tissue, lungs, and blood vessels.

I'm all for trying nicotinic agents as a way to combat infection pathways (with actual testing behind it), but you know that's not what this thing going viral will do. People will just chain smoke cigs thinking they are protecting themselves while doing irreparable damage

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Louisgod posted:

second hand smoke: it's now good, folks

Well duh. Everyone knows that cancer is the top dog and won't let some weak rear end virus take you once it's laid claim to you.

It's basic prison rules.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Spinz posted:

Hey

There's "lots" of studies but you can't post any links. OK.
So far i see one preprint hypothesis without any reviews. I'm not knowledgeable enough to determine if what they are saying makes sense but i do know that it's a bit early for you to be so certain that smoking is for sure protective. A few weeks ago we all had to run out to get hydroxychloroquine and anti HIV medication based on similar studies.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that smokers presented at a lower rate was noticed way back in the beginning in wuhan

i also can't cite sources but this oddity/curiosity has been known about for a while

if it does turn out that slapping on a nicotine patch reduces your chances of needing to be hospitalized five-fold - i'll take it. not running out to buy them in the meantime of course

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Barudak posted:

In Wisconsin in the US traffic was down 50% but fatalities were up 50% because only the absolute stupidest people are on the road apparently

welp

That is so stupid.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Smoking is also good because you can gather closely with your fellow addicts and watch the virus particles travel amongst the group via clouds of smoke

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

bird with big dick posted:

The tar in cigarettes holds your bones together stronger plus smoking makes you look cool which reduces depression by making you 7% more likely to get your penis sucked upon

did i miss the sign up window for the follow up study?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Munin posted:

I posted the same in UKMT but the lockdown most likely reduced overall mortality as fewer people are getting killed in car accidents etc and other infectious diseases are also being impacted by it amongst other things. Yet you still see that "the lockdown is killing people" rhetoric being trotted out.

The economic impact has been huge and that might drive people to desperate measures. That needs to be mitigated. So would the type of breakdown that would ensue after a pandemic ran wild though.

I don't believe the lockdown is killing people, but I do suspect that some of those deaths come from folks waiting to come to the ER until it's too late. Doctors have been reporting that ER heart issues are surprisingly low, and I'm afraid that folks are dying at home, too scared to come to the ER. But that would have happened anyway with or without the lockdown. It's a matter of fear and hospital capacity, not lockdown policy.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Looks like De Blasio’s social distancing snitch line was flooded with penis photos and Hitler memes.

https://t.co/lZaLcZnULm?amp=1

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I'm not going to post a whole bunch of studies- because I'm not saying anyone should start smoking. You all are younger so dying from smoking (which is common as hell) to not catch this when you overwhelmingly likely would be fine is pretty stupid, huh? Besides it's gross and smelly and you could be miserable before you die from COPD or we.

This is GBS though, and discussing interesting poo poo is what we do here, I hope that the absolutely correct antismoking paradigm doesn't stifle potentially productive research. Maybe it won't, stakes are too high. I'll drop it for now, yikes.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

I know I've seen speculation it might also be related to drunk driving by people who are just drinking constantly with all their new found spare time.

Maybe I'll go out for a spin and see how terrifying the roads are with only morons on them.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

zer0spunk posted:

is this one of those times where spreading a research paper as gospel might just be a wee bit irresponsible?

I'm all for trying nicotinic agents as a way to combat infection pathways (with actual testing behind it), but you know that's not what this thing going viral will do. People will just chain smoke cigs thinking they are protecting themselves while doing irreparable damage
I'm not ~spreading it as gospel~

People were like "lol there's nothing behind that except one weirdo's tweet," but there are actually studies being done on it, so I linked one

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I live in the pacific northwest myself. As it gets dry and warm here, we are probably going to see a lot of forest fires, it happens every year, but lately its been especially bad due to Trump getting rid of all of the people that help prevent that sort of thing. I am expecting the pacific northwest will be double covered in smoke and smog this summer due to the virus making even less people available for fighting wild fires and forest clean up.

Its worse than that, I assure you. I work in fire management in the Southeast and have a little bit of professional tie in with the federal folks down here and elsewhere in the country. Our federal partners have been shut down for I think about a month now, barely any prescribed fire and precious little fuel management. That alone means this coming summer has the potential to be nasty. The state folks are a little bit better, but a lot of them have gotten pulled into Covid-related logistics and so have slowed down their fire ops. My own organization has been reduced to about half capacity and honestly I'm surprised we've been as effective as we have been this year. It helps that our crews live deep in the woods and we can run our own poo poo without needing much in the way of assistance.

I've heard much much worse things from friends who work out west and that's ignoring what the future is going to look like. On the direct infection side, Camp crud is already a huge issue during fires and the nature of fire camps make it drat hard to effectively isolate teams. Unless some serious changes are made to the way fire logistics works it is entirely possible that whole crews will just get dropped / quarantined. While a lot of firefighters are young, the highly skilled overhead is typically not and everyone breathes in way too much smoke. Having crews just get quarantined is almost the best case scenario.

Living in the southeast though I'm also super not excited about the oncoming Hurricane season. Basically none of my neighbors are taking social distancing particularly seriously down here, so I imagine the second people have to start evacuating they'll start ignoring even the small lifestyle changes that have been made.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Barudak posted:

Tickets for driving 100+ mph given out over the prior year that month rose by 130% in my state lol. Empty roads!

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

wilderthanmild posted:

Maybe I'll go out for a spin and see how terrifying the roads are with only morons on them.
Turn on you’re windshield.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yeah speaking of hurricanes i wonder how people are supposed to stay at home when their home's roof is ripped off and there's four feet of water

so... go to a shelter? and preserve distancing?

seems impossible

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Mozi posted:

that smokers presented at a lower rate was noticed way back in the beginning in wuhan

i also can't cite sources but this oddity/curiosity has been known about for a while

if it does turn out that slapping on a nicotine patch reduces your chances of needing to be hospitalized five-fold - i'll take it. not running out to buy them in the meantime of course

I don't think that will help. Fact check me if I'm wrong, but from what I've heard covid lung issues is more due to an over response of the immune system to fight the virus, and this over response (build up of fluids) is what causes people to need to go on ventilators. It's sort of like an allergic reaction.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/07/828091467/why-some-covid-19-patients-crash-the-bodys-immune-system-might-be-to-blame

But smokers don't have this reaction because their lungs are so used to the abuse. So a nicotine patch won't have the same effect as smoking when it comes to building a resistance to the over-reaction of your immune system.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 22, 2020

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Mozi posted:

yeah speaking of hurricanes i wonder how people are supposed to stay at home when their home's roof is ripped off and there's four feet of water

so... go to a shelter? and preserve distancing?

seems impossible

Basically, yeah. I've helped with Red Cross shelters before and depending on the space allotment I guess it'd be perfectly possible to set up beds more than 6 feet apart, but then you'd be asking for people to just stay inside their little six foot bubble for days on end. You might as well just treat them like hospitals and assume that everyone inside is going to be infectious basically immediately. I'd guess that given the risk, governors down here would be more hesitant to call for mandatory evacuations, but then I look at Kamp/DeSantis/McMaster and realize that critical thinking isn't exactly a strength.

It does seem like another thing that maybe could work if there was a super-abundance of fast acting tests available, but those seem like literal pipe dreams still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
covid is pretty nerdy and is intimated by cool smokers