Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
i love how much felix loves his mom's labradoodle :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Percelus posted:

gladiator won the loving oscar for best picture, took home 5 oscars total and nominated for 12. it was the biggest movie of 2000 hands down. i don't think saying it is held in high esteem relative to it's actual quality is a meaningless observation

"Dances With Wolves" beat "Goodfellas".

Also, "Annie Hall" beat "Star Wars", but that's not the same kind of situation. :D

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I hope we get more of Felix's sister. And by "Felix's sister" I do mean "Felix recording himself talking to himself and going to insane, laborious effort to isolate one half of the conversation and pitch it slightly up to live out an idealistic fantasy of a healthy family dynamic".

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Also, "Annie Hall" beat "Star Wars", but that's not the same kind of situation. :D

Good.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the dark knight is 20 minutes of quality and the rest is the stuff without heath ledger

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

prefect posted:

Yeah I think we can guess why the Academy likes Woody Allen

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

gh0stpinballa posted:

the dark knight is 20 minutes of quality and the rest is the stuff without heath ledger

I like the part where Alfred admits that he and his rich buddies burned forests down just to stop a jewel thief. It drives home even before the surveillance scene that Batman is a sad wish-fulfillment fantasy and that if he existed in real life he'd be just as corrupt as the crime lords that he fights.

(in before Thought Slime rebuttal)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

prefect posted:

black hawk down beat memento for best editing

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That new True Anon episode on the Labour leaks is brilliant, particularly towards the end where they go off topic a bit and start discussing ways in which the left can move that don't require party in-fighting with liberals. Quite a few good book recommendations in there.

Its also worth listening with We Don't Talk About the Weather on the leaks as well, because they go into a lot more detail on just how damning it is.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Nobody should let the oscars bother them to much. Hollywood is a bunch of coked up old socal residents, they can sometimes be right, but mostly follow their own manic logic and you shouldn't let it bother.

Ridley Scott is one of the few mainstream directors that will make historical dramas where the characters actually have emotions and philosophies conveyed with a modicum of sublety. Most historical films now are biopics, where they just film an overdramatized chronology because the filmmakers are afraid to actually jump into the head of somebody from the past.

Mousepractice posted:

The Duellists is his best film + all about how to have and maintain posters energy (Harvey Keitel)

It's really good. There's some fun historical context too, Keitel's character is a lower/middle class guy who owes his rank to Napoleon, and so his obsession with defending his honor becomes sort of pre-ideological too.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

the oscars, box office, they are metrics you can measure impact by in a way but they don't determine the quality of the film

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Perhaps the value of an artistic piece or of an artist's oeuvre is mostly subjective and putting too much stock into other peoples opinions is a mug's game?????

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's really good. There's some fun historical context too, Keitel's character is a lower/middle class guy who owes his rank to Napoleon, and so his obsession with defending his honor becomes sort of pre-ideological too.

Chapo had a good premium episode a long time ago with the Age of Napoleon guy that talked a fair bit about the social implications of the French Revolution as reflected in The Duellists. That was one of the points that came up! The Revolution broke the old ways of establishing military hierarchy and Napoleon consolidated it, so you had an entire new breed of people who owed their careers to the liberatory drive of the French Revolution. Pretty interesting stuff, I just wish there were a written piece I could cite whenever I want to bring it up in a more academic context

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ridley scott sucks rear end, made one good movie

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bunch of gamers eyeballs bug out when they see a set

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm not arguing you should care what other people think that's why i said it doesn't make a film good or bad, it's a measurement of wake the film left behind though

how many people saw it, what people thought about it - box office, oscars, critic reviews, there are other things too but these are easy to go by

i even said one of my favorite ridley scott films is legend which did terrible in both categories

but by every metric imaginable gladiator was a cultural event, stop being daft goons :rolleye:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cultural events suck rear end

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

also aesthesticaly and stylistically bladerunner is not a bad movie but ridley took a chainsaw to the world building parts of the book

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Cultural events suck rear end

a lot do but then again alien was a cultural event and quite good

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Blade Runner is good. The Duellists is good. The Oscars are boring.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Mantis42 posted:

2049 had a better plot anyways

Okay assuming you remove all of the plot elements that connect it to the first one and its just a story about a lonely android who loves a VR girl that's almost true

But then jared leto rambles at an annoyed Harrison ford for 20 minutes and boy what a mess

It looks pretty though!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
For some reason my mind immediately associates tony scott with domino and the taking of pelham 123 remake which were absolutely garbage before anything good hes made

I didnt see the other Denzel train one

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Percelus posted:

also aesthesticaly and stylistically bladerunner is not a bad movie but ridley took a chainsaw to the world building parts of the book

:qq: :qq: why isn't movie a visual copy of its source material :qq: :qq:

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice meltdown

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I wonder how lucky/hard they worked to get that last shot for The Duelists. Unless it was a composite shot?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Victory Position posted:

crap, all crap

bring on the real poo poo, bring on VALIS

gently caress yes, i have a genuine need to see how someone puts VALIS onscreen (and then bankrupts the studio). have nicolas winding refn do it. or terry gilliam!

the milk machine has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Apr 22, 2020

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Dreylad posted:

I wonder how lucky/hard they worked to get that last shot for The Duelists. Unless it was a composite shot?

Luck and hard work both. No composite. It's dolly shot in a '77 movie and star wars motion control systems were busy being invented by star wars, and anyway wouldn't have worked for a sky replacement.

Most likely they had whatever limited time the Dordogne was flooded (was it mentioned that the river was flooded in the movie? I can't remember. maybe the flooding is incidental) to head over to the clifftop each afternoon, and got lucky with a good sky/sunburst in that shot and went "that's as good as it's gonna get". Like, Scott probably didn't insist on a certain specific cloud/light/sun, but you can at least research your shot's situation re: sun position and time of day and try it a few times each evening for however long your budget holds out

source: I have shot movies outside

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Thought about the ultimate pleasure drug post while I was driving today

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i spent the afternoon searching for puppy parade videos

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ok listened to this is sus special with felix's sister lucy and that was great

so felix, just go big already and set up The Biederman Critique, the finest culture leftist analysis and review podcast that you know deep in your heart that is your calling

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

oh my loving god HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHA

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1253148165127041025

LOCAL ZIONIST AGITATOR AND IMPERIALIST MERCENARY BRACE BELDEN

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The Goys Are Back in Town

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

How do they keep managing to make Brace sound even cooler

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i think for whatever reason -- being a weird, myopic, out-of-touch shut-in etc. -- gwen snyder has this idea that fascism = being a bummed out bohemian because some of the alt-right guys, incidentally, also happened to be bummed out bohemians (sam hyde). so she's constantly looking around at this surface stuff that doesn't matter and spinning out big conspiracy webs

edit: lol i didn't know anything about gwen snyder what a grift she's got

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Apr 23, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Crane Fist posted:

How do they keep managing to make Brace sound even cooler

on the stream tonight he was holding up old photos of himself to 8-mile his way in front of that tweet. he called himself a loser for shaving his head and getting girls to pinch his nipples for an album cover when he was 15

i'm like no, brace, i spent age 15 on jrpgs

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

dead gay comedy forums posted:

that jacket owns

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i say swears online posted:

on the stream tonight he was holding up old photos of himself to 8-mile his way in front of that tweet. he called himself a loser for shaving his head and getting girls to pinch his nipples for an album cover when he was 15

i'm like no, brace, i spent age 15 on jrpgs

i wish i had been cool enough to do heroin as a teen

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ah yes 15 years old when I was probably playing Everquest or some stupid poo poo

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Luck and hard work both. No composite. It's dolly shot in a '77 movie and star wars motion control systems were busy being invented by star wars, and anyway wouldn't have worked for a sky replacement.

Most likely they had whatever limited time the Dordogne was flooded (was it mentioned that the river was flooded in the movie? I can't remember. maybe the flooding is incidental) to head over to the clifftop each afternoon, and got lucky with a good sky/sunburst in that shot and went "that's as good as it's gonna get". Like, Scott probably didn't insist on a certain specific cloud/light/sun, but you can at least research your shot's situation re: sun position and time of day and try it a few times each evening for however long your budget holds out

source: I have shot movies outside

great info thanks for commenting, I had no idea, anyway I love it as a final scene in a pretty cool movie.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao new this is sus

felix had all his riffs this episode planned out around friday night lights jokes and welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
is Gwen also. the pettycartography person or are there just that many nut jobs on twitter?