Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My favourites are (excluding FF7R idk how to slot it in, maybe alongside VII)

1. XV
2. VII
3. XII

XV is a joyful, beautiful game and the closest thing to real friendship I will ever experience. The lead-up to the end is pretty poor, but ifrit is loving incredible and one of history's greatest anime battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I absolutely hate 12 despite having tried to play it no fewer than three times. Every single time it just bores the poo poo out of me, even at 4x speed on the remaster.

I think FF8 is great if you ignore its oddities because the world itself is neat (although in a lot of ways it feels more bare than 7's world, and definitely more bare than 9's) and the junction system is neat despite the leveling system going against what you want to actually do. I'd have normally said it has the best soundtrack in the series but 7R may actually take that title back at this point.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Harrow posted:

Well poo poo if we're gonna have the "rank your favorite FFs" discussion I'm not going to not participate.

Same. For reference my first FF game was 4

1. X
2. Tactics
3. V
4. IX
5. VI
6. IV
7. VII
8. XII
9. I
10. Mystic Quest
11. VIII
12. XV
13. XIII
14. III
15. II

XIV could be anywhere on this list depending on what year of the game we're talking about (Currently i'd put it above Tactics, although release would be right above II).

X and V were games that I didn't really have good first impressions of, but grew a lot on me over time. Four Job Fiestas really make V a great game (plus blue magic being... blue magic). While X I love simply because of the progression system and the focus on turn based/party swap combat. I really need to get around to playing X-2, because i've been on a FF kick after this remake and will probably get around to that after I finish IX again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

triple sulk posted:

I absolutely hate 12 despite having tried to play it no fewer than three times. Every single time it just bores the poo poo out of me, even at 4x speed on the remaster.

It's been talked about at length I know, but honestly what kills XII for me is deciding that Vaan instead of Ashe or Basch or Balthier should be our POV. It is shocking how quickly he becomes irrelevant.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
god please let me see red XIII come back home

please let me see him quietly die inside as bugenhagen greets him with scritches behind the ears and he's unable to hide how much he likes it

my biggest concern with the sudden overdose of nomura's trademark metaphysics is that it often gives characters no time to do anything but exposit about the convoluted soul/heart/time poo poo that's strangling the plot

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Now that I've finished the game, I wonder how necessary the whispers even are. Considering how many people I've seen play hoping/convinced that Biggs, Wedge and Jessie would be spared this go around, I honestly feel they could just... change things in the plot, and if those changes were compelling people might just accept them. Or at least accept them more than they'd accept 'Plot Ghosts did it.'

Oh well, one consequence of all this is that I DESPERATELY want part II now, just to see what the hell they do. If it was a straight remake I'd just be 'that was great' and then I wouldn't think about it again until the next one came out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Doomhammer posted:

Now that I've finished the game, I wonder how necessary the whispers even are. Considering how many people I've seen play hoping/convinced that Biggs, Wedge and Jessie would be spared this go around, I honestly feel they could just... change things in the plot, and if those changes were compelling people might just accept them. Or at least accept them more than they'd accept 'Plot Ghosts did it.'

Oh well, one consequence of all this is that I DESPERATELY want part II now, just to see what the hell they do. If it was a straight remake I'd just be 'that was great' and then I wouldn't think about it again until the next one came out.

i think that final fantasy vii has become as intimidatingly monolithic to its creators as it has for much of the public, and nomura especially has lately gotten pretty blatant about textualizing his own creative struggles and frustrations - just look at the poo poo he pulled with the KH3 epilogue

so he wrote in this giant metaphysical antagonist that symbolizes the efforts of himself and the development team to overcome the sanctity of the original game, so that in order for cloud and co. to leave midgar - itself maybe the most iconic location in jrpg's - they need to literally kill the past of their own franchise

suda51 would probably approve

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

edit2: gently caress now I'm gonna put them in order from best to worst. Judge me, I care not
FF7
Tactics
FF12
FF5
FF10
FF6
FF14 (maybe doesn't count???)
FF9
Tactics Advance
FF3 (DS re-release)
FF4
FF15
FF8
FF
FF13
FF2

I didn't play FF11 or Tactics Advance 2. Dirge of Cerberus and Crisis Core are omitted but if I had to add them I'd say DoC is the worst poo poo ever and CC is, like, right around Tactics Advance level. Maybe a bit lower.

this is an extremely good list even if ff9 is by far my favourite simply because you are giving ff5 the props it deserves. even if ff1 is getting snubbed. where would you put ff7r?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

triple sulk posted:

I think FF8 is great if you ignore its oddities because the world itself is neat (although in a lot of ways it feels more bare than 7's world, and definitely more bare than 9's) and the junction system is neat despite the leveling system going against what you want to actually do. I'd have normally said it has the best soundtrack in the series but 7R may actually take that title back at this point.

I have this thing with FF8 where I can see all of the ways that it could be great and that makes me really want to love it, but then it just doesn't quite work for me. I really like the setting, the music is fantastic, and I think the idea of the junction system is rad as hell, but something about putting it all together just doesn't hit home when I try to play it.

I've had a bunch of thoughts about how I'd rebalance the junction/leveling system if I was going to mod it or something, but I'm not too sure what would work.

Arrrthritis posted:

I really need to get around to playing X-2, because i've been on a FF kick after this remake and will probably get around to that after I finish IX again.

X-2 is a really good time. IMO it has the best iteration of the classic ATB system--it's really fast-paced and fluid, which I appreciate--and its take on the job system, with on-the-fly job changing in battle, is great. Just a fun game all around.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

9, 7r, 5, tactics, 6, 10, 7, 8, 14, 10-2, 1, 3, tactics advanced, 13, 4, 12, 2

have not played 15 or 11, mystic quest doesnt count but if it did it would be in the shame zone with 12 and 2. i think 4 was mediocre, tactics advanced was fun but kinda flawed, and everything above 3 is a good game

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
What are the best weapons at level 6?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
FFVII Remake SPOILER THREAD - Lots of speculation for everyone!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'll admit the same thing jumped to my mind too, but part of what made ME3's awful ending so explosive was that the developers fully intended to end the series on all those questions

FF7R doesn't, and even if the rest of the series doesn't get made (which is likely!) its own bananas conclusion is still a neat metaphor about the creators of a seminal work trying to break away from that work's influence

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Beefstew posted:

I do like how folks have responded so sincerely to the character moments in this game, even when they hate the stupid ghost poo poo.
Vinny (Vinesauce) has been streaming through it and you can tell from his voice that he was crying during Tifa's Chapter 14 scene. :(
That scene almost got to me as well. After all the buildup of Tifa's increasing despair over the pillar situation to her "gently caress it, just leave me to die" look that she gives when she's just sitting there while the others try to escape, they really give you a sense of how broken she is in this game.

It's rare that you see Vinny get emotional over something in a video game. I think, in recent history, only Mother 3 had the same effect.

I don't care if the ending is a bit dorky, I still love the rest of the game to bits.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tactics is by far the best FF game but if we are going down the mainline only then I'm a super weirdo who likes 8/6/7 in that order before getting to X/XV

Shadowbringers was also probably the best FF story we've gotten since X though but I don't think it's fair to put 1.0, ARR, and Stormblood into that when compared to other mainline titles.

I'm really like 9 as I'm playing through it, but still a little bit put off about the sudden halt to the hype train that happened, I only played a little bit past that part and turned it off to go to bed so maybe it doesn't last long and it picks up quickly and I haven't seen it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I still feel that the most emotionally impactful moment in the whole game was Barret going completely out of character with dread about what happened to Marlene, even though the audience knows she's fine. It's a good demonstration of the fact that you don't actually need to kill anybody to tug at the audience's heart strings.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Doomhammer posted:

Yeah, the intent of introducing and subsequently killing the Plot Ghosts was to explicitly give the devs permission to freely make changes. What you're thinking of is the point of having them at all.

Oxxidation posted:

i think that final fantasy vii has become as intimidatingly monolithic to its creators as it has for much of the public, and nomura especially has lately gotten pretty blatant about textualizing his own creative struggles and frustrations - just look at the poo poo he pulled with the KH3 epilogue

so he wrote in this giant metaphysical antagonist that symbolizes the efforts of himself and the development team to overcome the sanctity of the original game, so that in order for cloud and co. to leave midgar - itself maybe the most iconic location in jrpg's - they need to literally kill the past of their own franchise

suda51 would probably approve

I really, really loving love this interpretation of the ending. It's both hilarious and awesome.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

I still feel that the most emotionally impactful moment in the whole game was Barret going completely out of character with dread about what happened to Marlene, even though the audience knows she's fine. It's a good demonstration of the fact that you don't actually need to kill anybody to tug at the audience's heart strings.

I really loved the part where he went up to Cloud and was like "just lie to me and tell me you know she's okay, I promise I won't be mad if you're wrong...Oh who am I kidding, we both know I'd rip your head off."

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Pollyanna posted:

It's rare that you see Vinny get emotional over something in a video game. I think, in recent history, only Mother 3 had the same effect.

I don't care if the ending is a bit dorky, I still love the rest of the game to bits.

He cries at the ending of Chrono Trigger (which he does like once a year, lol). He was also clearly crying at the end of Silent Hill 2.
But yeah, you could tell the Tifa scene hit him really hard. It made my roommate cry. She had also lost family in 9/11, so it hit close to home for her.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

After watching them all I definitely wish I'd gotten the Tifa scene in Chapter 14 instead of the Aerith one. The Aerith one has some nice mystery and teasing at something larger, but Tifa's scene is just so real and human.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I watched the other two immediately on youtube anyway

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh sure, I just wish I'd seen that one in-context as part of going through the main story.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I got the Tifa one because Tifa is the best, always and forever, and I didn't even know it was a mutually exclusive scene because it just fit so well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The affection level also determines the order characters jump into the final battle right?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The affection level also determines the order characters jump into the final battle right?

Yep.

One advantage to having the highest affection with Aerith is that her line when she jumps in first in the final battle is :discourse:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As far as I know getting anyone other than Aeris for the dream sequence means you have to NOT do all the extra quests the moment they're available, which is simply an impossibility for me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I got tifa the first time and I did every possible first run sidequest, so its not just that.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I did all of the quests and got Tifa, AND Aeris was the first to show up during the final battle. So what actually affects the order in the final battle, and can you get Barret there?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Beefstew posted:

I did all of the quests and got Tifa, AND Aeris was the first to show up during the final battle.

Yes this was my situation too, I accidentally picked all the anti-Aerith options without thinking lol (just like in the original)

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Beefstew posted:

I did all of the quests and got Tifa, AND Aeris was the first to show up during the final battle. So what actually affects the order in the final battle, and can you get Barret there?

All the videos I've seen have Barret joining 2nd in the final fight. Tifa and Aerith I've seen them either joining 1st or 2nd.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

lezard_valeth posted:

All the videos I've seen have Barret joining 2nd in the final fight. Tifa and Aerith I've seen them either joining 1st or 2nd.

For my final fight I had Barret join in first, then Tifa 2nd.

I think it may have to do with how much you use party members? Because I used Barret a fuckton whenever I could.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes this was my situation too, I accidentally picked all the anti-Aerith options without thinking lol (just like in the original)

I picked "How much?" because I didn't realize what kind of inn it was :shepface:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I picked it because I figured Cloud wouldn't know what kind of inn it was :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's been...goddamn, 20 years since I last played OG Final Fantasy 7. I'm starting a new playthrough once it finishes downloading, and I never learned any of the deep secrets or hardcore gamer strats. Is there a video series out there that summarizes them or something?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

It's been...goddamn, 20 years since I last played OG Final Fantasy 7. I'm starting a new playthrough once it finishes downloading, and I never learned any of the deep secrets or hardcore gamer strats. Is there a video series out there that summarizes them or something?

if you are down for reading I'm sure there's a gamefaqs somewhere (Also download New Threat!)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

the hardcore gamer strat is to play the video game, it's not a hard game

except for some of the maps being kind of hard to tell where you're supposed to go

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know how linking to mods are since it's another forum but FF7 New Threat is a really really good mod and you should play with it combined with like the HD mod since the power of the computer allows us to do so

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Pollyanna posted:

I've been using this guide to sperg hard on all the secret poo poo: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-VII/Walkthrough/Disc-1/

I was trying out The Reunion mod and the game soft locks permanently at the end of Temple of the Ancients and I needed to restart my run, after I spent several days dicking around with the Tiny Bronco farming up the sandworms near Mideel. I've been watching Moonmoon play through New Threat and tried it out myself, it's quite a difference having to actually manage materia in the early game and the mod encourages plenty of barrier usage early on. Super easy to install with 7th Heaven and IRO installer as well.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Kill All Cops posted:

I've been using this guide to sperg hard on all the secret poo poo: https://jegged.com/Games/Final-Fantasy-VII/Walkthrough/Disc-1/

I also used this as a checklist when I replayed it earlier this year, their guides seem pretty good overall

Also imo FF7 graphics mods look like poo poo, the "improved" models always look completely out of place. It's an old game, let it look like one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The hardcore gamer strat of every Final Fantasy game is about grinding to max level

(Or in the case of FF8, grinding while remaining at minimum level :getin: )