Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hardcore gamer strat of every Final Fantasy game is about grinding to max level

(Or in the case of FF8, grinding while remaining at minimum level :getin: )
Hello, ulillillia, welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hardcore gamer strat of every Final Fantasy game is about grinding to max level

(Or in the case of FF8, grinding while remaining at minimum level :getin: )

Flashbacks to reading guides apparently all written by power levelers.

“Okay so for Airbuster, you should be at about level 35 at this point.”

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

exquisite tea posted:

As far as I know getting anyone other than Aeris for the dream sequence means you have to NOT do all the extra quests the moment they're available, which is simply an impossibility for me.

I didn't do the third set of side quests, because every side quest is garbage trash and I couldn't stand to do a third miserable awful round of them, and still got Aeris first. Then Barret them Tifa

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
tbh grinding at temple of the ancients is just stalling aeris' permanent removal from my party rather than make gil go brr

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

homeless snail posted:

Hello, ulillillia, welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCYBxYuX6mI

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got the switch version :( is it a bad version?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm old. My first FF was FF1 on the NES when it first came out. I still think it's a good game and one of the best in the series but it isn't my favorite. My favorite is FFT and will take one absolute motherfucker of a game to ever surpass it.

FFT Remake when.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't get the hate for side quests when most of them are combat and combat in this game is fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm old. My first FF was FF1 on the NES when it first came out. I still think it's a good game and one of the best in the series but it isn't my favorite. My favorite is FFT and will take one absolute motherfucker of a game to ever surpass it.

FFT Remake when.

lol gently caress I remember the min-max grinding in FFT, keeping one enemy alive while everyone else Accumulates over and over

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The side quests are cool. They substitute what you would normally spend your time in FF7 doing (grinding monsters in random encounters) with a little bit of narrative, some of which are pretty good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also FFT is definitely one of my faves so when I got to the FFT raid in FF14 it was pretty magical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgcwJ4jSgj0

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The raids in FFXIV are incredible.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pollyanna posted:

nah you got portable jrpg which is great, but the mods are fun as heck imo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

It's not

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I got sucked into a chain of final fantasy videos and stumbled on an in depth look at cait sith made by a very nerdy person. enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VMC01M-wbE&t=69s

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Arrrthritis posted:

For my final fight I had Barret join in first, then Tifa 2nd.

I think it may have to do with how much you use party members? Because I used Barret a fuckton whenever I could.

So he can show up first? THat's cool.

I got Tifa first, then Aerith. Her coming in like 'bitch please' when Sephi tried to squash Cloud and Tifa was pretty great.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

triple sulk posted:

I think FF8 is great if you ignore its oddities

FF8 is more oddity than game. Where you might have to think carefully about how to break FF7 or FF9, and even do poo poo that is unintuitive to get the results you're after, FF8 breaks itself if you engage the game on its own terms. Junction is horrifyingly stupid and makes the actual act of casting a spell feel terrible, because you'll now have to go find more copies to Draw from an enemy or a fountain in the field map to keep your stats intact, and the rarer the spell the more headache-inducing a proposition this becomes. Because your first introduction to acquiring spells (and thus bonus stats when you Junction those spells to your parameters) is Drawing from enemies, if you are a completionist or the type who is trying to gain power, on first play you will think "Okay, I'll just Draw spells from enemies until I have a full stock of that spell." Many enemies have more than one spell to Draw. Drawing gives you an incredibly paltry amount of magic early on and can even fail to give you anything at all, making the act of acquiring magic to actually Junction incredibly tedious at first.

What's more, the primary tool you need to break the game in half from the word "go" is given to you... err, at the word "go." Quezacotl is one of the two GFs you begin the game with, and it is ludicrously busted. As you and Quezacotl level up, you will very quickly find out that Quezacotl can do things like refine spells from items, which is significantly more expedient than trying to Draw them from enemies, and just as quickly find out that Quezacotl can both turn enemies into cards and that those cards turn into items that you can turn into magic. This means that, in rapid succession, young me realized that Draw was terrible, that the free cards I got in the Garden could be used to win even better cards that turned into even better items that turned into even better magic, and that I'd rather have the extra 3000 HP than ever cast Thundaga or Curaga or whatever. The system invalidates half of itself. I'm not a genius level intellect or some wizard video gamer. I was like... 12? when FF8 came out. The only reason FF8 presented any challenge to me at all was because I reached level 100 incredibly fast (which is actually bad, as normal encounters scale with your average party level, and funnier still is that bosses do not scale with you so it creates this weird dichotomy where the bosses are trivially easy and Adamantoise is an unkillable random monster that puts you on the fast track to a Game Over). Both the battle system and the character progression system are equal turns of boring and easy to abuse to the point of comedy, and that's by playing the game as it is apparently intended to be played.

Now, either because of the power of nostalgia or because teenage me (and, hell, adult me, even) empathizes with prickly, socially awkward losers with superiority complexes and shades of misanthropy, I actually like Squall quite a bit, for similar-ish reasons as to why I like Cloud, though I prefer our Good Blonde Boy. But other than Squall, FF8's cast is rounded out by Quistis, who admittedly I thought was written well; Zell, who is shockingly annoying on replay and incompetent to the point of deep frustration; Selphie, whose genki girl tendencies inspire love or hate in most people I've spoken with about FF8 (I fall in the "not into it" camp); Rinoa, who is infantilized to such an extent that it makes the central thrust of the narrative profoundly concerning; and Irvine, who is Irvine. There are fewer characters than in VI or VII, which means you have fewer shots in the proverbial gun to land a solid hit; you can't afford to have too many misses if your crew is just six people for the entire game. This is wholly subjective but I basically hated everyone who wasn't Squall and Quistis (and Laguna, who owns, but is not really a party member per se). Their problems seem equal turns melodramatic and completely meaningless. Compared with the sheer emotional weight of Aerith dying in FF7, basically every single thing that happens in FF8 causing our characters to angst feels trivial and childish. I've often wondered if FF8 would have been improved as a game if the half of your party you send to the missile base actually died, and brought to bear the point that Squall-as-military-leader must contend with grievous losses in pursuit of a greater goal, and sometimes he will make mistakes that will cost people their lives.

This is an awful lot of words about Final Fantasy VIII for the FF7R spoiler thread, so I'll stop here, but I wanted to love FF8 really bad and I super duper didn't. I don't begrudge people who love it despite its weirdness but, like, how I describe FFXV to my friends when they ask is "I kinda love it but it is really bad."

pog boyfriend posted:

this is an extremely good list even if ff9 is by far my favourite simply because you are giving ff5 the props it deserves. even if ff1 is getting snubbed. where would you put ff7r?

I don't understand how anybody who loves Final Fantasy as a franchise can not rate FF5 extremely highly. That game loving owns, and it establishes a lot of the hallmarks and idioms that shape the rest of the series. It's mechanically sound, features a fun main cast who are all pretty likable, and has a kickin' rad soundtrack. "Ahead On Our Way" is probably the best title track in an FF game, and you get the first iteration of "Clash On The Big Bridge." C'mon.

Where I'd put FF7R is complicated because I like to let things settle before running off half-cocked and sticking it into a list, but lists are inherently stupid fun anyway, so gently caress it. I'd say it's ahead of FF12 but probably behind FF7 and Tactics, with the potential over time to wind up even higher. Game owns.

SpazmasterX posted:

What are the best weapons at level 6?

For Cloud it's the Buster Sword, statistically (and for bonuses to Punisher mode and Limit damage and blah blah), but Twin Stinger is the safer pick for Hard until you get a grip on how it works. Twin Stinger has both Reprieve and MP Saver for curative magic, which makes it a good default choice. For Tifa it's Sonic Strikers or Purple Pain; Purple Pain's crit build can get patently hilarious, but Sonic Strikers is Tifa's Twin Stinger (Reprieve, MP Saver for curative). For Barret it's Light Machine Gun because it's his Twin Stinger, or imo EKG Cannon for similar reasons to Purple Pain because so good. For Aerith it's Reinforced Staff because no matter what difficulty you're on, MP Saver for curative magic and Reprieve for our healer is better than virtually anything else you can give her.

exquisite tea posted:

As far as I know getting anyone other than Aeris for the dream sequence means you have to NOT do all the extra quests the moment they're available, which is simply an impossibility for me.

If you do all the sidequests in chapters 3 and 8, who you get for the resolution sequence is effectively guaranteed to be a lock between either Tifa or Aerith; Barret is DQ'd because your affection rating will be too high among the girls for doing all the optional stuff. I think just doing Tifa's Discovery event at all immediately makes it impossible for you to get Barret in chapter 14, though I could be wrong.

The deciding factors if you do all of the sidequests are surprisingly simple: it's one choice in chapter 2 when speaking with Aerith, one choice in chapter 3 when Tifa asks you what you want to drink, three choices in Wall Market during chapter 9, and then who you check on first in the sewers in chapter 10. Just take the flower right away from Aerith to gain points and don't to lose some. Ask Tifa for something hard to gain points or say you're not interested to lose them. If you say "She's in great shape" when describing Tifa to Chocobo Sam, "How much?" when the love motel barker accosts you, and "It matter what I think?" when Aerith asks you about her dress, even if you pick Aerith in the sewer you'll probably still get Tifa. Say anything else when describing Tifa, tell the barker to get hosed, and compliment Aerith's dress and you'll probably get her even if you pick Tifa in the sewer. Alternatively, if you provide some mix of responses during chapter 10 (my first run through I did every sidequest/Discovery, then picked "She's in great shape," "Back off," and "It's alright," which are actually mostly pro-Aerith choices), who you pick in the sewer is gonna be the decider for you.

It is both easier to gain points for Aerith and easier to lose them, but ultimately I think most of the time on your first playthrough, whomever you pick in the sewers will be your vignette/resolution in chapter 14, the rest of the mechanics of affection be damned. You'd have to be kind of deliberately alienating one of the girls for that not to be the case, and you'd have to intentionally ignore/neg both of them to get Barret.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 22, 2020

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't get the hate for side quests when most of them are combat and combat in this game is fun

I'm not as won over by the combat as others are, it's fine for me but eh. My big problems with the sidequest is the stories are boring, the characters are boring, I wish the UI showed where the quest was at, not where the quest giver was at, and the animation on every single NPC sucks. I wasn't opposed to sidequests, but the way they are done here is really bad.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FF8 is great because you can spend all your time playing Triple Triad and this actively advances your position because you can refine the cards into magic.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

For Aerith it's Reinforced Staff because no matter what difficulty you're on, MP Saver for curative magic and Reprieve for our healer is better than virtually anything else you can give her.

That's Guard Stick, Reinforced Staff doesn't have the healing MP reduction

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FF8 is great because it just dumps a pile of stuff on you and tells you to figure it out. Some of that stuff resembles a normal JRPG, most doesn't, and some of it is a kickass card game. If you want a straightforward JRPG that tells you how to play it, it's probably the worst FF for that. But I enjoy the weird gameplay of figuring out where the broken stuff is. I'd probably have way less fun on a replay because I already know where it is.

As for FF5, I put it low mid or so in my rankings because you're teased with infinite freedom but there just isn't quite enough flexibility. Only getting one passive/active from outside your current job frustrates the promise of the system. Fortunately the Bravely series exists and does it right

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

SettingSun posted:

FF8 is great because you can spend all your time playing Triple Triad and this actively advances your position because you can refine the cards into magic.

Except Triple Triad sucks! The rules are explained hilariously badly in the English localization, and unless you are super great at manipulating the method of how game rules spread (which on your first play, you just will not be), you can quickly wind up with a Triple Triad that is unplayable trash and not have any idea how to unfuck it. "Whoops, I don't have Open anymore, but I do have Same Wall, Combo, and Random, and the trading rule is Direct" is basically longhand for "never attempt to play this bullshit"

Veib posted:

That's Guard Stick, Reinforced Staff doesn't have the healing MP reduction

Wow, I must have just straight up forgotten. Reprieve is still my favorite choice to give Aerith, but yeah Guard Stick owns as well if you just don't ever die.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 22, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

FF8 is great because it just dumps a pile of stuff on you and tells you to figure it out. Some of that stuff resembles a normal JRPG, most doesn't, and some of it is a kickass card game. If you want a straightforward JRPG that tells you how to play it, it's probably the worst FF for that. But I enjoy the weird gameplay of figuring out where the broken stuff is. I'd probably have way less fun on a replay because I already know where it is.

As for FF5, I put it low mid or so in my rankings because you're teased with infinite freedom but there just isn't quite enough flexibility. Only getting one passive/active from outside your current job frustrates the promise of the system. Fortunately the Bravely series exists and does it right

FF8 was way too easy to break for it to be satisfying imo

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FF8 was the perfect challenge for those who never learned how to junction properly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

FF8 is more oddity than game. Where you might have to think carefully about how to break FF7 or FF9, and even do poo poo that is unintuitive to get the results you're after, FF8 breaks itself if you engage the game on its own terms. Junction is horrifyingly stupid and makes the actual act of casting a spell feel terrible, because you'll now have to go find more copies to Draw from an enemy or a fountain in the field map to keep your stats intact, and the rarer the spell the more headache-inducing a proposition this becomes. Because your first introduction to acquiring spells (and thus bonus stats when you Junction those spells to your parameters) is Drawing from enemies, if you are a completionist or the type who is trying to gain power, on first play you will think "Okay, I'll just Draw spells from enemies until I have a full stock of that spell." Many enemies have more than one spell to Draw. Drawing gives you an incredibly paltry amount of magic early on and can even fail to give you anything at all, making the act of acquiring magic to actually Junction incredibly tedious at first.

What's more, the primary tool you need to break the game in half from the word "go" is given to you... err, at the word "go." Quezacotl is one of the two GFs you begin the game with, and it is ludicrously busted. As you and Quezacotl level up, you will very quickly find out that Quezacotl can do things like refine spells from items, which is significantly more expedient than trying to Draw them from enemies, and just as quickly find out that Quezacotl can both turn enemies into cards and that those cards turn into items that you can turn into magic. This means that, in rapid succession, young me realized that Draw was terrible, that the free cards I got in the Garden could be used to win even better cards that turned into even better items that turned into even better magic, and that I'd rather have the extra 3000 HP than ever cast Thundaga or Curaga or whatever. The system invalidates half of itself. I'm not a genius level intellect or some wizard video gamer. I was like... 12? when FF8 came out. The only reason FF8 presented any challenge to me at all was because I reached level 100 incredibly fast (which is actually bad, as normal encounters scale with your average party level, and funnier still is that bosses do not scale with you so it creates this weird dichotomy where the bosses are trivially easy and Adamantoise is an unkillable random monster that puts you on the fast track to a Game Over). Both the battle system and the character progression system are equal turns of boring and easy to abuse to the point of comedy, and that's by playing the game as it is apparently intended to be played.

Now, either because of the power of nostalgia or because teenage me (and, hell, adult me, even) empathizes with prickly, socially awkward losers with superiority complexes and shades of misanthropy, I actually like Squall quite a bit, for similar-ish reasons as to why I like Cloud, though I prefer our Good Blonde Boy. But other than Squall, FF8's cast is rounded out by Quistis, who admittedly I thought was written well; Zell, who is shockingly annoying on replay and incompetent to the point of deep frustration; Selphie, whose genki girl tendencies inspire love or hate in most people I've spoken with about FF8 (I fall in the "not into it" camp); Rinoa, who is infantilized to such an extent that it makes the central thrust of the narrative profoundly concerning; and Irvine, who is Irvine. There are fewer characters than in VI or VII, which means you have fewer shots in the proverbial gun to land a solid hit; you can't afford to have too many misses if your crew is just six people for the entire game. This is wholly subjective but I basically hated everyone who wasn't Squall and Quistis (and Laguna, who owns, but is not really a party member per se). Their problems seem equal turns melodramatic and completely meaningless. Compared with the sheer emotional weight of Aerith dying in FF7, basically every single thing that happens in FF8 causing our characters to angst feels trivial and childish. I've often wondered if FF8 would have been improved as a game if the half of your party you send to the missile base actually died, and brought to bear the point that Squall-as-military-leader must contend with grievous losses in pursuit of a greater goal, and sometimes he will make mistakes that will cost people their lives.

Imagine I posted this but with "and it owns" at the end

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I guess. All I ever did as a kid was spread All into Balamb then steal cards from Zell's mom for 8 hours.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm glad people are talking about FF8 because it's a game I really want to love, especially because I respect a lot of the wacky things it tries. I probably spent way too much time in like college imagining what to me would've been a better version of the junction system, and there are a lot of things I'd love to try if I could because the idea of spells being equipment and summons being almost like jobs is kind of rad.

Story-wise, I really, really like discs 1 and 2. Really my only issue with the story in that portion of the game is the orphanage twist, but everything else is great. Last time I played it I remember thinking, "Huh, this is way better than I remember, and Squall has way more depth than I remember. Maybe I like FF8!" And then it felt like as soon as disc 3 started I just stopped caring almost immediately. But that sort of makes me want to try it again, just because I don't clearly remember why and I'm just so curious.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

guts and bolts posted:

Wow, I must have just straight up forgotten. Reprieve is still my favorite choice to give Aerith, but yeah Guard Stick owns as well if you just don't ever die.

No I mean Guard Stick is the one that has both, that's why it's the best

e: I fully agree with your reasoning, you just had the wrong weapon listed is all

Veib fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 22, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FF8 was my first jrpg and I hated it.

Good thing I gave the genre another chance

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also Rinoa is probably my fave FF character, or close to it. Maybe Emet-Selch beats her out idk. I like Squall too, and the other four are there too I guess

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FFVIII is great because the story derails so hard it loving noclips out of reality.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I appreciate how batshit the story is in FF8, which is why all the "time ghosts :supaburn: " stuff in 7R sloughs off my back.

Disc 1 ends with a sorceress who is possessed by another sorceress enacting a one-woman coup d'etat of a superpower while deflecting a teen sniper assassin's bullet

e:f,b

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HD DAD posted:

FFVIII is great because the story derails so hard it loving noclips out of reality.

squall is dead, ultimecia is rinoa, zell got his hotdog

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Veib posted:

No I mean Guard Stick is the one that has both, that's why it's the best

Wait... it does? Hang on

*I am typing this in real time, imagine for this period that I have stepped away from my PC to boot up FF7R.*

Holy poo poo you are 100% correct. Why the gently caress have I been recommending Reinforced Staff, then? I think you wind up with like... 40-some-odd points of Attack and Magic Attack missing, but Guard Stick is better in basically every way.

Huh.

Good catch my man. I'm an idiot.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
FF8 always looks like it's being played through a VHS, even on modern screens and on modern consoles

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Anyway the number one reason for an 8R is so that we can get another 8-disc OST (or should it be 9 discs) of Hamauzu arrangements
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HD DAD posted:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I appreciate how batshit the story is in FF8, which is why all the "time ghosts :supaburn: " stuff in 7R sloughs off my back.

Disc 1 ends with a sorceress who is possessed by another sorceress enacting a one-woman coup d'etat of a superpower while deflecting a teen sniper assassin's bullet

Yeah, I think this is why I keep wanting to give it another shot. Maybe I'm finally at a point in my taste in stories where I can just sit back and let myself get swept away on a wild ride. If I can find a way to enjoy the gameplay more I'll probably have a good time.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Harrow posted:

I'm glad people are talking about FF8 because it's a game I really want to love, especially because I respect a lot of the wacky things it tries. I probably spent way too much time in like college imagining what to me would've been a better version of the junction system, and there are a lot of things I'd love to try if I could because the idea of spells being equipment and summons being almost like jobs is kind of rad.

Story-wise, I really, really like discs 1 and 2. Really my only issue with the story in that portion of the game is the orphanage twist, but everything else is great. Last time I played it I remember thinking, "Huh, this is way better than I remember, and Squall has way more depth than I remember. Maybe I like FF8!" And then it felt like as soon as disc 3 started I just stopped caring almost immediately. But that sort of makes me want to try it again, just because I don't clearly remember why and I'm just so curious.

Don't do it broh. I bought it for the Switch and replayed it for almost the exact same reason. "I remember wanting to like this game," I said. "It's probably better than I remember, and now that I have a slightly better handle on how to intuit my way through rough localizations I think I can work this one out. Squall is cool, anyway, I think."

And then I played it and my man it is horrible. Like, if you already have a copy then have at it. I don't regret re-buying FF9 for Switch at all; spend your dosh on that. FF8 is rough

Harrow posted:

If I can find a way to enjoy the gameplay more
AND THEREIN LIES THE RUB

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 22, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

mass drivers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMJxralBTNg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Easy Allies has their Spoiler Mode podcast up about FF7R with Maximilian Dood as a guest. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet but they're having a pretty good discussion about things like, what's the point of the Whispers, where are we going from here, is it the original story actually a bad thing (from an in-universe perspective) and derailing it is for the best even if in the original the planet is saved at the end, and how this isn't anything at all like Kingdom Hearts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfgw7iDZ-bo&t=1746s