Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Two Kings posted:

What’s the best airline in the world that isn’t subsidized by their government? (Care act notwithstanding)

And don’t say Southwest you low expectation having motherfu*kers.

Delta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Is Korean subsidized? If not that's the one I'd pick. Biz class on a 380 was fukkin niiiiiiiice.

Edit: if we're going for an American airline then it's Hawaiian hands down.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pryor on Fire posted:

The last person you want to be when corporations are collapsing left and right is the guy who owns vouchers, gift cards, miles, etc from said corporations.
Well, they did say it would be smart for airlines to do it, not that it'd be a great deal for the people who accepted the offer. Anyone who might have otherwise refunded that accepts a voucher offer is a win for the airline.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Desi posted:

The job of a Class 3 instructor is an order of magnitude better than Class 4, albeit still pretty lovely. By now you have a reasonable idea of how to teach and don't need someone constantly micromanaging your poo poo, so its nice to have the powers-that-be back off a bit. That being said, don't be afraid to keep using those resources. I did some time as a Class 2 and was always more than happy to have frank closed-door conversations, offer second opinions, or even go on non-required supervisory flights if and when the situation warranted - but it would be up to the Class 3 to ask, I wasn't going to insert myself into your business the same way as I did with the Class 4s. Plus you're a shitton more marketable if you do get laid off.

Yeah, apart from the legally required supervision, I got advice and second opinions more often from class 3 instructors I trust (some of whom had way more experience but hadn't upgraded to class 2) than our handful of class 2s who were always overworked as poo poo because we had too many class 4s.

Regardless of what class you are, the good instructors are the ones who talk to other instructors, care about self-improvement, and don't mind having a second pair of eyes on their work. The bad ones are the ones who think they're perfect and heaven forbid you ever question them about anything or fly with one of their students.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

the good instructors are the ones who talk to other instructors, care about self-improvement, and don't mind having a second pair of eyes on their work. The bad ones are the ones who think they're perfect and heaven forbid you ever question them about anything or fly with one of their students.

:hmmyes:

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta is fine which is the highest compliment a US carrier can receive.

New thread title tbh

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Southwest is the best US carrier. Maybe Jetblue is close but I haven't flown enough with them to know for sure.

Why?

-No regional network means no tiny airplanes flown by regional tier pilots (sorry)
-No bag fees minimizes over-utilization of overhead bins
-Fare change rules are extremely flexible. They don't sell use it or lose it tickets even at the lowest fare tier.
-Single class cabin layout improves passenger morale. The seats have 1-3 more inches of pitch than United Economy, which is a miserable experience basically forcing an upgrade to Economy+
-Anecdotally, I am charged for booze less than 50% of the time and have been given vouchers by other passengers more than once. It's still a bus but not Spirit tier.
-I live close to a massive SWA hub (BWI) and can fly pretty much anywhere nonstop

I love them so much we don't typically price shop domestic airfare at all unless the SWA price seems outrageous for some reason.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 21, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Fly Delta Jets. Delta at least attempts to give a poo poo.

Southwest buying AirTran just to kill them off should never have been allowed to happen.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

hobbesmaster posted:

This rules tbh. Should be standard phraseology.

Yes.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

New thread title tbh

:hmmyes:

sanchez posted:

Southwest is the best US carrier. Maybe Jetblue is close but I haven't flown enough with them to know for sure.

Why?

-No regional network means no tiny airplanes flown by regional tier pilots (sorry)
-No bag fees minimizes over-utilization of overhead bins
-Fare change rules are extremely flexible. They don't sell use it or lose it tickets even at the lowest fare tier.
-Single class cabin layout improves passenger morale. The seats have 1-3 more inches of pitch than United Economy, which is a miserable experience basically forcing an upgrade to Economy+
-Anecdotally, I am charged for booze less than 50% of the time and have been given vouchers by other passengers more than once. It's still a bus but not Spirit tier.
-I live close to a massive SWA hub (BWI) and can fly pretty much anywhere nonstop

I love them so much we don't typically price shop domestic airfare at all unless the SWA price seems outrageous for some reason.

SWA does have the best economy seat pitch in the US fwiw.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Southwest is great if you're only ever traveling to NFL cities.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta is fine which is the highest compliment a US carrier can receive.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Speaking of Delta

quote:

Delta Air Lines reported a loss of $607 million between January and March, its first quarterly loss in five years, as the travel industry started to collapse in the wake of the pandemic.

The airline said it ended March with about $6 billion in cash on hand, but added that it was also burning through $100 million in cash per day by the end of that month. After cutting costs and expenses, Delta expects to slow that rate to $50 million per day by the end of June.

“The decade of work we put into the balance sheet to lower debt and build unencumbered assets has been critical to our success in raising capital and we expect to end the June quarter with approximately $10 billion in liquidity,” said Paul Jacobson, the chief financial officer, in a statement. On Tuesday, Delta announced that Mr. Jacobson had reversed his decision to retire in order to help guide the airline through the crisis.

Under the stimulus passed last month, Delta received $5.4 billion in grants and loans to pay its employees. It said it is also eligible for a $4.6 billion loan under the law, should it decide to take it. The airline also said it plans to cut schedules by 85 percent in the second quarter, in line with competitors like United Airlines, which reported a $2.1 billion quarterly loss on Monday.

I think I was wrong and they are actually in a better spot financially speaking than United right now.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 22, 2020

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
UAL has the most exposure to Asia flying and thus has been hit the longest and hardest.

That being said, DAL loves fudging their numbers, and a lot is coming to light as ALPA is able to examine their books.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delta chose the right time to close out NRT and transfer all intrasia stuff to KAL I guess?

Too bad I couldn’t get flights to HND before I stopped working somewhere that had me going to japan 4 times a year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Our full-time program coordinator ragequit (I'm assuming) and hosed off to another company, leaving behind all of the flight school management work. Looks like I'm getting about two-thirds of it. :suicide:

I think it's time to ask for some sweetener to take it on.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 22, 2020

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

Pryor on Fire posted:

Speaking of Delta

I think I was wrong and they are actually in a better spot financially speaking than United right now.

Don't forget that Delta owns stakes in multiple joint ventures that are absolutely losing their rear end right now.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Rekinom posted:

Don't forget that Delta owns stakes in multiple joint ventures that are absolutely losing their rear end right now.

At least they sold their stake in that oil refinery a while back.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Paramotor vs Ultralight:

Has anybody done both? Has anybody done either?

I'm interested in starting. Get training, obviously, and thankfully I'm in a place where schools are reasonably convenient.

It seems like the benefits of paramotor over ultralight are "WOOO TAKE OFF FROM THE PARK!" "is the most like being a bird including motor-off gliding," and "is small enough to fit in the garage or in the trunk of the car," and just general, "WOOOOO FUN!"

While the benefits of ultralight over paramotor are "wing doesn't collapse," "structural members don't get tangled or snag on prop," "instructor can fly with you in a light sport two-seater," "faster," and "same control surfaces as a real airplane, so can help eventually get a license."

My plan, if I'm still interested when the schools reopen, is to take an introductory flight with the ultralight instructor just to see if being up in the sky without a windshield makes me freeze or panic before I spend the big bucks.

I'd like to read anything you have to say about one vs the other or just any experience you have.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
After 6,000 consecutive hours of flying transport category jets I've been looking at getting back into some casual flying for fun. A co-worker mentioned paramotor a few months ago and after some poking around on the internet it seems exactly like what I'm looking for. The ease of storage, portability, and turning pretty much any open space into a runway is super appealing. Ultralights really don't appeal to me as much. As a licensed pilot if I was going to fly something with a fixed wing I'd just go get checked out in a Cessna. I was starting to look at taking a paramotor course before everything shut down and losing my job became a real possibility.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I also think that the paramotor thing looks more fun than the (American) ultralight path. You just stick it in the trunk of your car and go cruise around at 0-30mph a hundred feet up and do whatever you want, flying like a bird. If the engine fails, you're already under a parachute.

I wouldn't imagine that flying an (American) ultralight would be much of a step to getting a real pilot's license either. I think PT6A had a PPL student who had come from ultralights and he wasn't even aware of what an approach speed was, or something like that? A full size plane is a lot more complex than a hang glider with a tricycle underneath.

If you're in a country with real ultralight rules, like Canada, then scratch the above because then you're just flying a very smol airplane with all the normal systems. But that isn't in the same category as a paramotor at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

I also think that the paramotor thing looks more fun than the (American) ultralight path. You just stick it in the trunk of your car and go cruise around at 0-30mph a hundred feet up and do whatever you want, flying like a bird. If the engine fails, you're already under a parachute.

I wouldn't imagine that flying an (American) ultralight would be much of a step to getting a real pilot's license either. I think PT6A had a PPL student who had come from ultralights and he wasn't even aware of what an approach speed was, or something like that? A full size plane is a lot more complex than a hang glider with a tricycle underneath.

If you're in a country with real ultralight rules, like Canada, then scratch the above because then you're just flying a very smol airplane with all the normal systems. But that isn't in the same category as a paramotor at all.

To be fair to ultralight pilots, that guy's problem was that he was a weird, stupid, racist, sexist moron. It was just a coincidence that he also flew ultralights, and you can certainly fly ultralights in a safe and knowledgeable way that will serve you well if you plan to get a PPL at some point. But, that guy was an ultralight instructor so absolutely do your research if you plan to learn to fly ultralights, because even morons can somehow manage to instruct on them. It seems a big part of the ultralight community exists because it's a fun and cheap way to go flying, and the other big part exists because they don't want to manage with bullshit like "knowing things" and "following procedures."

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

PT6A posted:

To be fair to ultralight pilots, that guy's problem was that he was a weird, stupid, racist, sexist moron. It was just a coincidence that he also flew ultralights, and you can certainly fly ultralights in a safe and knowledgeable way that will serve you well if you plan to get a PPL at some point. But, that guy was an ultralight instructor so absolutely do your research if you plan to learn to fly ultralights, because even morons can somehow manage to instruct on them. It seems a big part of the ultralight community exists because it's a fun and cheap way to go flying, and the other big part exists because they don't want to manage with bullshit like "knowing things" and "following procedures."

Those pesky regulations always getting in the way.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Got my GTN 650 and GTX 345 in today.

Scheduled for my shop to order the Dual G5s and I am going in for surgery on May 1st.

IN OTHER NEWS

I want an iPad. Anybody flying GA with the 11inch iPad Pro? PIREP

I have had the iPad mini since it came out, and am thinking about the Gen 5 iPad mini, but I really wish it had Apple Pencil 2 support. I guess I could wait until September on an update for the mini but the 11inch already has pencil 2 support.

I also need a new iPad for online teaching so the Pro might scratch two itches for me....

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

Got my GTN 650 and GTX 345 in today.

Scheduled for my shop to order the Dual G5s and I am going in for surgery on May 1st.

IN OTHER NEWS

I want an iPad. Anybody flying GA with the 11inch iPad Pro? PIREP

I have had the iPad mini since it came out, and am thinking about the Gen 5 iPad mini, but I really wish it had Apple Pencil 2 support. I guess I could wait until September on an update for the mini but the 11inch already has pencil 2 support.

I also need a new iPad for online teaching so the Pro might scratch two itches for me....

You have an advantage in that you fly your own plane and can set up proper mounting for whatever you choose. I don't think you'd regret going with a large iPad, provided you can find a place to mount it. If you're looking for something that's going to go on a kneeboard, I can only advise the Mini. Even that tiny little fucker seems to be in the way at times.

Also, in personal news: I finally said gently caress it to staying at home and decided to rent a plane (in a thoroughly socially distanced way, I might add) and it was great. Sadly it did not have a PTT on the instructor side so I got to have an adventure with flying from the left side for the first time in probably two years or so, but minus one dodgy crosswind touch-and-go, it went well. I don't know if this will mean anything to anyone who hasn't flown in the Calgary area, but I did the loop from Springbank to Banff and through Lake Minnewanka (then elsewhere to do some circuits) and it was an absolutely gorgeous flight. Though I must say, even on a beautiful day, the mountains don't let you take a second off. Two seconds not paying attention and you're up or down 300 feet...

And, boy howdy, does a 172 not want to loving descend worth a poo poo with just one person on board. It's been so long since I've flown alone and VFR, flying a tight circuit and even with a decent forward slip, I had to overshoot on my first landing attempt.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 25, 2020

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Actual part 103 ultralights are not much more than a paramotor with a fixed wing instead of a canopy.

That said, in the US, probably 90% of things that would be an ultralight in most of the rest of the world is actually Light Sport. Part 103 is really, really restrictive.

I really wanna go paramotoring, but money and time keep getting in the way. :(

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Captain Apollo posted:

I upgraded from the mini 4 to the mini 5 and is a massive speed upgrade and it can use the Pencil 1. I doubt they’ll ever add Pencil 2 support since the 2 needs to attach to the side of the iPad to charge and that seems unlikely with the smaller size and width of the mini and the Pencil 1 being available 90+% of the 2 lacking only the button and side charging/storing

I wouldn’t want to discourage you from the pro but I wouldn’t let lack of Pencil 2 support stop you if the mini is the better form factor

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

fordan posted:

I upgraded from the mini 4 to the mini 5 and is a massive speed upgrade and it can use the Pencil 1. I doubt they’ll ever add Pencil 2 support since the 2 needs to attach to the side of the iPad to charge and that seems unlikely with the smaller size and width of the mini and the Pencil 1 being available 90+% of the 2 lacking only the button and side charging/storing

I wouldn’t want to discourage you from the pro but I wouldn’t let lack of Pencil 2 support stop you if the mini is the better form factor

Thanks! I’ll just grab the latest mini then :)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
It works well on the yoke of a Cherokee.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have experience in small and large cockpits with the mini, 9.7 and 10.5 and I recommend the mini.

Anything smaller than the 11” pro has to use the Apple Pencil 1 regardless, which is a great accessory, it just charges via lightning port. It’s kind of a pain to charge it that way compared to snapping it to the side of a pro but it charges fast and stays charged.

A yoke-mounted mini is great.

Edit: I didn’t see all the new posts but my points stand.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

helno posted:

It works well on the yoke of a Cherokee.

Can confirm, I use the same setup

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

dupersaurus posted:

Can confirm, I use the same setup

What mount? I have a ram mount when I would keep the iPad on the windshield but with all my upgrades I’ll mount it to the yoke. Any mount you prefer to mention?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Got a mini 5 as well and love it. Getting into the first days of high heat + direct sunlight and so I have to dedicate one of my AC vents to keep this thing cool.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Captain Apollo posted:

What mount? I have a ram mount when I would keep the iPad on the windshield but with all my upgrades I’ll mount it to the yoke. Any mount you prefer to mention?

I have the cheaper ram yoke mount

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is getting deep into obscure airplane nonsense, but a lot of pre-jet/early jet age instrument panels were all made with the same black material, like this guy:

I can't imagine that's plastic on account of wartime rationing, so is it painted aluminium? Or plywood with a lacquer over top?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Omi no Kami posted:

This is getting deep into obscure airplane nonsense, but a lot of pre-jet/early jet age instrument panels were all made with the same black material, like this guy:

I can't imagine that's plastic on account of wartime rationing, so is it painted aluminium? Or plywood with a lacquer over top?

It's usually just painted or anodized aluminum sheet, there's nothing much to read into it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

MrChips posted:

It's usually just painted or anodized aluminum sheet, there's nothing much to read into it.

Ooh the anodization is what I was missing, thanks! (I'm making airplane cockpits for fun in 3d, and getting the material properties of the panels right was driving me nuts- I've been using polymer toolgrips as the closest visual equivalent I could find.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It is much more likely that the panels were just painted black, not anodized. Anodization is tougher than paint but in this context who cares, and anodization is a complex electrochemical process while painting requires a can of paint and a brush.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

While we're on the subject: why did Russia decide "Bright teal! Yes, that's the colour cockpits ought to be!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

While we're on the subject: why did Russia decide "Bright teal! Yes, that's the colour cockpits ought to be!"?

Because Russia