Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

4Kids has already conclusively settled this pronounciation question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uolplWjANiQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ApeHawk posted:

I pronounce it Mack-o.
Mack-O Reactor sounds like the perfect cheesy 80s action movie hero.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Regarding the ads, you missed one important one.

Barret refers to Cloud as "Stamp" several times during this mission and asks if he'll "bite the hand that feeds him." IE, SOLDIERs are Shinra's dogs.

You can see him shilling the Icicle Water too.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 20, 2020

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Andyzero posted:

Barret refers to Cloud as "Stamp" several times during this mission and asks if he'll "bite the hand that feeds him." IE, SOLDIERs are Shinra's dogs.

I was really confused by this until I think the corkscrew tunnel chapter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm french-canadian, so it's always been Mako.

Japanese syllables are pronounced pretty close to french, despite the two languages sounding nothing alike.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That's because one day English stood up and decided to pronounce all of the vowels wrong.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
English is a beautiful gem of a language. The Great Vowel Shift included.

Mako, mako, and mako are all correct imo.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Reading through the original LP now because I'm on a huge Final Fantasy kick as of April 10th and I can't get enough of all the times you see

Elentor posted:

you can just perfectly imagine this floor rendered in, say, Unreal Engine 4. You know, in the FFVII remake. That's never gonna happen.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got the engine right :colbert:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elentor posted:

I got the engine right :colbert:

And the name.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi everyone.
First of all I'm very sorry that this is something you're reading. Personal life issues are not fun. So out of respect for your time, I'll make it as short as possible.

I'll be homeless in a few days. Being jobless + homophobia is not a great combo. This means my LP is on a very indefinite hiatus. Since I have no idea how I'll deal with Covid in that situation, normally I'd leave you with spoilers but... I only got to Chapter 3 in the FFVIIR. So there is not much to say. I was hoping to catch up on the LP before playing again for a more authentic blind play experience.

* Thank you to the goon who donated a ps4 and ff7r for me to play this.
* I thought the whole Aeris scene was super bizarre.
* My theory so far is that the dementors look too much like langoliers and I think they're some reference to them. I think they're either souls of cetras or literal langoliers going mad because sephiroth changed time with some materia or something silly like that and this is why the remake is different.
* My favorite scene so far is Cloud going back miserable to his apartment. The low camera angle is just perfect and the whole thing has a nice contrast of gritty realism with the super anime character.

If any of you follow my CYOA, I left spoilers for it here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894977&pagenumber=73#post504298330

I'm sorry that this is such a short lived LP and that it ends on such a down note. I really am.

Thank you all for your love and support over the past 10 years. Never in my life would I have thought that writing a LP could have resulted in so much love and warmth from people from all around the globe. I have no words to express how much that meant for me. I really don't.

Please stay safe during such hard times, and apologies once again for the disappointment. I know some of you have expecting this for a while. I have no words to how much I'm sorry.

Best regards friends.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 26, 2020

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh golly, i can't do much but i can add a bit to your patreon, being homeless is not fun time.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry to hear that Elentor.

I can only speak for myself but having read your old FFVII LP and your Let's Gamedev thread I feel like supporting you a little for the time and effort put into both of those is no big deal because they're honestly both novel-length content which takes time, creativity, and energy. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.

I'm gonna link your Patreon here in case others would like to do the same but if you feel particularly uncomfortable with accepting help from the internet then I'll remove the link.
[modedit: per forumwide policy, link to patreon removed... grudgingly]

e: of course no pressure here to continue to produce content of any sort. Life comes first.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 29, 2020

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
There's a thread/patreon dedicated to helping goons out here and there in tough times, check in there if you can.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oh man this sucks. I've thrown some money at your Patreon but don't feel under any pressure to produce anything, just happy to throw a few bucks your way in payment for past awesome posts and insights.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm signing up for your patreon but do you have a cashapp/venmo if you need a chuck of cash?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Oh man this sucks. I've thrown some money at your Patreon but don't feel under any pressure to produce anything, just happy to throw a few bucks your way in payment for past awesome posts and insights.

:same:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

I'm signing up for your patreon but do you have a cashapp/venmo if you need a chuck of cash?

If this is a serious inquiry, their PayPal can be found at (scrubbed)

Elentor I'm sorry to hear that, I hope things work out for you. Best of luck :/

e; I quoted the wrong post
e2; removed Elentor's PayPal at her request, if anyone still wants to help feel free to pm myself, reclaimer or elentor themselves

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 23, 2020

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Oh man Elentor is doing an LP of the remake, this is going to be : kickin-

Oh drat. That's a nightmare Elentor. I joined the forums for your LP, so I signed up for your Patreon. Be safe.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I hope things get better.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Please post your cashapp/venmo/whatever info if it's more reliable than paypal, I don't think anyone wants to send you funds that get locked up by some paypal idiocy (or if you've had no issues with pp, let us know).

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

victrix posted:

Please post your cashapp/venmo/whatever info if it's more reliable than paypal, I don't think anyone wants to send you funds that get locked up by some paypal idiocy (or if you've had no issues with pp, let us know).

yeah, i don't care about LPs or whatever but i'm in, post whether you want it over paypal/venmo/w-u/whatever

also check out the c-spam goon fund here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903318

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah same, hope you're okay Elentor :ohdear:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I'm Elentor's girlfriend and if you'll forgive me being a little sappy, thank you so much for all the support. I'll try and keep everyone posted if she can't get on SA in the near term.

victrix posted:

Unfortunately most options aren't compatible with Brazilian banks. Paypal seems to be the method of least evil for her.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Thank you so much, Elentor. You’ve made what I consider an important piece of archival knowledge. I hope safety and happiness find you.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Reclaimer posted:

Unfortunately most options aren't compatible with Brazilian banks. Paypal seems to be the method of least evil for her.

yeah according to her the paypal arrived so that seems like the best course of action. pro tip though, get it out of that account asap because you really don't want half your cash stuck in there when rent's due.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Elentor Update:

She is blown away by the support and wants me to pass along that she has no words to express her gratitude - now she finally has enough to afford a Sephiroth watch! (This is a joke, they still cost more than a Ferrari)

She's in a safe place tonight and has some breathing room. We're figuring out next steps for now. I've retyped this very sentence like ten times; turns out I don't have the words either.

Thank you so loving much for all the love. This isn't goodbye, it's just see you later.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Reclaimer posted:

No sweat, sent some bucks :glomp:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Quote from Elentor: "You know if you think about it, this whole thing technically counts as content because its basically just a Sector 7 Sidequest"

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey folks, thank you for your support.

Honestly, I never expected to receive this much support. What could have been a life-threatening situation or at best a situation that would take months to deal with, I managed to brute force out of it and be safe. I don't think I can express my gratitude easily.

I'm safe, back at my place, still sorting things out for a few days. Haven't played FF7R since, I'm still early in the game, just where I was before. Somehow, I'm still unspoiled of the FF7R stuff (all I know is that they exist). There's a certain poetry in that this time I'm the one avoiding spoilers.

You are all the best. I thanked you for your patience multiple times in the original for my irregular updates (now you sorta know why :V) and the likes, and I thank you for your patience again. I read the comment in every donation, and I'm proud that some of the things I wrote had so much value to you. SA is the best community of which I've been part, and you're all the reason.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's good to hear that you're safe and doing well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yes. I can't relate to everything you're going through, but I do remember going through the "have no money and no place to live" thing in my early 20s and it sucks.

Please keep us updated.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Glad to hear everything is turning around for you, Elentor.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I super hate having to be the bad guy when it comes to stuff like this, but I've removed the link to Elentor's Patreon a few posts back in accordance with forum-wide rules against linking personal fundraisers... even when, frankly, they're completely justified.

...Of course, just because it can't be linked from here doesn't mean you can't very easily seek it out yourself, if you're so inclined.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fair enough, but much like Nintendo C&D'ing AM2R days later, the "damage" is done.

And of course like Fedule says, it can always be found elsewhere. Like if there's any more youtube videos used as supplemental details. Or just searching patreon, if that's your idea of fun.

I'm really looking forward to when you can update again. I've got about halfway through the game. Loving it so far, only 2 or 3 parts of the game seem to be baldfaced padding, compared to most of it being a natural extension of the plot.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it's understandable - people could easily spin a story to tug on heartstrings and justify a link to a patreon, or ask a friend to post one etc. Not that I think that's what's happening at all, don't get me wrong.

Glad you're safe and somewhat sound, Elentor!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Elentor is cool and good, and FF7 Remake and FF7 classic are cool and good, and I think y'all should search out the patreon and support it like I just did.

Hope things go well for you, Elentor, and I hope this LP adds as much enjoyment to FF7R for me as your original LP did for FF7.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Fedule posted:

I super hate having to be the bad guy when it comes to stuff like this, but I've removed the link to Elentor's Patreon a few posts back in accordance with forum-wide rules against linking personal fundraisers... even when, frankly, they're completely justified.

...Of course, just because it can't be linked from here doesn't mean you can't very easily seek it out yourself, if you're so inclined.

Can you explain this one, specifically the bolded part? It's not mentioned anywhere in the rules, and there are several notable high traffic threads that feature either direct links to a patreon or some other form of goon made merchandise, such as the kill 6 billion demons thread, the nail thread, or several goon game projects whenever those pop up in Games? Why are Patreons not allowed here when they're seemingly allowed everywhere else?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

From what I understand its a classy/pushy thing: your'e discouraged to put it everywhere to the point where its gets annoying, but its acceptable to like, throw it in an op somewhere and let people go there if they want to. The difference being hawking vs unobtrusiveness, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
there's a longer answer! i am phone posting atm and will pop in with a better answer in a bit.