Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Ad by Khad posted:

lmao 5 groups can collude to 51% attack the network and change the entire rules of the game entirely
Do you even understand what a mining pool is? It's tens or hundreds of thousands of people pooling their resources together and sharing the rewards. No individual controls a pool in the way that Bezos controls amazon.

If any one mining pool becomes too big, miners can just switch their hash power on the fly to a different pool to balance things out. This has happened in the past.

Ad by Khad posted:

imagine if gates+bezos+slim+buffett+zuckerberg could just meet up somewhere and decide nah money works this way now and you actually don't own any anymore
You mean like the seven members of the Fed's board, who recently injected 10 trillion dollars to prop up wall street for the rich while only spending 1/20th of that amount on stimulus checks for every day Americans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
no i mean private citizens, not actual lawmakers and people experienced with fiscal policy

edit: also those lawmakers didnt decide to take money away from the poor, which a 51% attack sure could (and has)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can't change your pool on the fly. It's a partially administrative process because at bare minimum there's terms and conditions to accept on your way in, small differences in the wrappers and method of validating your hashing. At it's worst membership can get political and there's real paranoia about transparency of hash amounts and pool overall income.

You see a commune you can freely join and find new ones when it's just another corporation that locks you in with your dependence on the income and then extracts every pennie it can.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

zedprime posted:

You can't change your pool on the fly. It's a partially administrative process because at bare minimum there's terms and conditions to accept on your way in, small differences in the wrappers and method of validating your hashing. At it's worst membership can get political and there's real paranoia about transparency of hash amounts and pool overall income.

You see a commune you can freely join and find new ones when it's just another corporation that locks you in with your dependence on the income and then extracts every pennie it can.
How do you explain what happened here, than?

https://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-miners-ditch-ghash-io-pool-51-attack

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
51% attacks are also dramatic which makes them the thread favorite, but the game theory discourages them enough for subtler alternatives that I think Bitcoin really is burning enough coal to avoid it. A 51% attack is an existential threat so if you already own half the pie, why throw it at the clown when you can reap benefits just holding on to it.

The real reason to worry about organization of mining is traffic shaping. If half the miners have a problem with labor unions and they blacklist their wallets, now they are waiting 2 weeks and paying increased fees to settle their books.

I didn't say you can't. But notice there's no accounting of lost revenue, no accounting of what pool they ended up at instead. You can quit a mining pool. You can quit a job at Amazon. Can everybody? Not usually.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Distributed mining pools as the alternative to government is the dumbest part of Bitcoin. It's giving monetary power directly to capital in the way morons without money decry the Fed and inflationary policy. "It makes my money worth less!" They cry, despite not having any. Gee who has all the money and would face disproportionate loss of wealth from the inflation Boogeyman? Why it's concentrations of capital and the lending class, not me penniless wage slave with static debts. I should cede monetary policy completely to capital with the idea of driving even harder at non inflationary targets!

Then, Kramer into the thread, and suggest we take money from people who have it and give it to the poor in times of crisis. You know, the exact process of printing money and distributing it to the poor via government action.

This thread keeps delivering.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
It's been weeks and you're still arguing with Fleetwood Crack over stupid nonsense
Is this how little you value your life

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The cabin fever part of me says yes, but the pedantic shitlord part of me says of course, yes.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Goodpancakes posted:

Distributed mining pools as the alternative to government is the dumbest part of Bitcoin. It's giving monetary power directly to capital in the way morons without money decry the Fed and inflationary policy. "It makes my money worth less!" They cry, despite not having any. Gee who has all the money and would face disproportionate loss of wealth from the inflation Boogeyman? Why it's concentrations of capital and the lending class, not me penniless wage slave with static debts. I should cede monetary policy completely to capital with the idea of driving even harder at non inflationary targets!
You'd be right, except for two important facts. When the government prints money they provide it first and disproportionately to the extremely wealthy, by giving it directly to banks and injecting it into the stock market. The richest 1% of Americans own half the country's stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. While the poorest 50% own only half a percent of them.

The other thing you're forgetting is that bitcoin changes nothing in terms of the rich's ability to escape from the negative impacts of inflation. Most of their wealth is in stocks, bonds, and real estate. Even if the dollar were to start suffering dramatic inflation, they will be the first to know that's going to happen and can already exchange it for any other foreign currency of their choice. Bitcoin is simply one more option for the rich.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

the 10 richest americans own an amount of money equal to 17% of all the USD in the entire money supply. this is bad.

the 10 richest coiners own an amount of btc equal to 12% of all the btc that has ever been mined. this is... oh word? also bad
fun fact: two of those coiners own them because they had a connection that allowed them to buy up ross's confiscated bitcoins for cheap

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Ad by Khad posted:

the 10 richest americans own an amount of money equal to 17% of all the USD in the entire money supply. this is bad.

the 10 richest coiners own an amount of btc equal to 12% of all the btc that has ever been mined. this is... oh word? also bad
fun fact: two of those coiners own them because they had a connection that allowed them to buy up ross's confiscated bitcoins for cheap
So what you're saying is that bitcoin's wealth distribution is less unequal than the dollar's? Cool. Thanks for the info.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

that sure is a weird reading of me saying btc has the exact same problems, both with inequality and with the government allowing specific wealthy individuals first crack at very large amounts of btc, which in that case was confiscated from a murderous criminal

hmm yes btc is 5 grand each right now, how bout we sell you this fifty thousand of them at 300 bucks a pop

if your hope was that switching to a different currency would change this game in any way you'd be pretty wrong

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ad by Khad posted:

Does the 12% factor in all the coins that are sinkholed and can't be spent? If not it's probably way higher.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

nope, also there's no way to know if they don't own a hundred more hidden wallets somewhere the way mark did (does)

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Shumagorath posted:

Does the 12% factor in all the coins that are sinkholed and can't be spent? If not it's probably way higher.
Why would you include destroyed / irrecoverable coins in that? Do I get to count every destroyed dollar as part of Bezos's net worth?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Do you ever shut the gently caress up?

Bitcoin was one of my favourite threads in the BFL days now it's just this clown 24/7.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Bitcoin was one of my favourite threads in the BFL days now it's just this clown 24/7.
This isn't the only bitcoin thread on these forums, but it is the only one I post in. More importantly, this forum doesn't exist solely to entertain SilvergunSuperman.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Why would you include destroyed / irrecoverable coins in that? Do I get to count every destroyed dollar as part of Bezos's net worth?
What an amazing way to demonstrate a lack of understanding of the concept.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm no fan of billionaires but it's still preferable to have the biggest ones be people who started highly productive companies rather than speculators who knew when to trade out their tulips or, worse yet, just inherited everything. If you look at how those types spend their money or god forbid go on to make large conglomerates / private equity firms they're a hundred times worse (see: Trump, ION group).

Think of how much grief we must be saving his wife / housemates now stuck living with a COIN-SPAMer :laugh:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

it's also preferable for those billionaires to not actually have a lot of power in terms of regulation and rulemaking. buffett could throw some investment money around and could maybe pay for some lobbying, bezos could use the power of the newspaper he owns to influence the media (he claims not to, but he could)

compare that to some of the biggest coinholders like charlie shrem and the winkleshits, who in comparison are on the board of the fed and NYSE respectively, and who are also not breaking the law if they use their powers on these boards to make number go up and down at a time that suits them

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
51% attacks are impossible. Hmm, looks at Amazon Cloud costs for an hour. iirc someone itt said it cost about ~$10k an hour to 51%.

Also this

It was either this thread that gave me divabot's(?) site or was it the other way round. Not that it matter as I came out ahead either way.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

I feel the same way, just tedious arguments now. Perhaps this is good for bitcoin though?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

oohhboy posted:

51% attacks are impossible. Hmm, looks at Amazon Cloud costs for an hour. iirc someone itt said it cost about ~$10k an hour to 51%.

I've thrown a lot of poo poo in this thread, but I'm just going to tell you that public cloud service providers do not have that capacity available for some random buyer. It can be arranged after a history of being a profitable customer, but lol at just thinking you can spin up $10k an hour on your credit card. You are DEEP into multi year "I have a dedicated technical account manager" and a lot of meaningful spend to get there.

Turns out the cloud isn't just magic. It' actually using other people's hardware. Who knew?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Lmao

Nah it's fine actually, if there's a 51% attack the mining pools will balance themselves out and self-regulate. It's only trustless when convenient

It's not like one person with $20k to burn could bring down the whole network right?

$10 transaction fees are fine and good if someone just spams transactions, they just deserve to have those transactions more than my rent payment because I only added a $9 tip but now my money is stuck in limbo for hours until I can be sure it didn't go through (no, fees)

The halvening is actually good because transaction fees and libertarianism or something. Also look at the patterns in this 10 year log-scale chart of a non-exponential function I found on cryptobillionaire2day.biz

The economy is too volatile right now, too risky to buy stocks. Better buy crypto instead, much less volatile and less risky

Oh by the way, I have no actual BTC, just $800 locked in an exchange balance. But I'll crow anyway about bitcoins being the future of money and/or a great store of value. See? the website even says that it's safe in their TOS

Charities should use smart contracts on the blockchain also I huff farts

Bitcoins are good for preventing financial crimes like money laundering and fraud

There have I caught up to the thread now?

Edit: but really which rereg? Too slow of a burn to be seraph

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

I've thrown a lot of poo poo in this thread, but I'm just going to tell you that public cloud service providers do not have that capacity available for some random buyer

Uh yes they definitely do, that isn't really near high-roller territory

They'll take your money if it's good (can't speak to aws but for gcp anyway)

Either way though, if someone wants to do it they can find a way. Look at what that stress test did to the network and transaction fees in a day for like $10k total or something

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

$10 transaction fees are a thing of the past, noted criminal-in-exile Roger Ver recently released some data showing 28000 different btc transactions where the sender paid more than $1000 as fees

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Shitcoin

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motronic posted:

I've thrown a lot of poo poo in this thread, but I'm just going to tell you that public cloud service providers do not have that capacity available for some random buyer. It can be arranged after a history of being a profitable customer, but lol at just thinking you can spin up $10k an hour on your credit card. You are DEEP into multi year "I have a dedicated technical account manager" and a lot of meaningful spend to get there.

Turns out the cloud isn't just magic. It' actually using other people's hardware. Who knew?

It was a theoretical napkin math exercise by whoever it was. It clearly wasn't meant to be a dive into business contracts nor say the cloud was magic. Take it easy there mate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tak posted:

Either way though, if someone wants to do it they can find a way. Look at what that stress test did to the network and transaction fees in a day for like $10k total or something

I'm sure you know better than me. Let's roll with that.

oohhboy posted:

It was a theoretical napkin math exercise by whoever it was. It clearly wasn't meant to be a dive into business contracts nor say the cloud was magic. Take it easy there mate.

Oh no no....not at all, your thing was fine, I was just adding some reality to it. It's not just that easy to decide you want to do this.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Ad by Khad posted:

$10 transaction fees are a thing of the past, noted criminal-in-exile Roger Ver recently released some data showing 28000 different btc transactions where the sender paid more than $1000 as fees

Lol seriously? Wow I'm behind the times

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Just so you know, if you enter a digit wrong it doesn't go through. It's not like the money gets sent somewhere else, it simply doesn't get sent. Bitcoin is very resistant to typos because the addresses contain a built-in check code. So if you had simply mistyped a few of the letters or numbers in the address, it's extremely unlikely the client would let you complete a transaction with an incorrect address. You'd have to paste in another working address.

This is a fundamental misunderstanding about the blockchain. It is is no way anonymous.

What if I try to send some BTC to an altcoin address like bitcoin cash? One dropdown entered wrong, the checksum is fine, but whoops it's gone forever. That's been a really efficient way of decreasing the total supply though so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not

Also wallet QR codes being stickered over in restaurants/stores and website hacks that change wallet addresses are pretty funny. You can even easily have it show the correct address visually but make it copy a malicious one to clipboard! Neat! Be your own bank!

Although I guess the business world has moved on from accepting payment with bitcoins because why would a rational investor ever spend a deflationary asset. So maybe those are outdated attacks and it actually is fine, actually

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motronic posted:

I'm sure you know better than me. Let's roll with that.

Oh no no....not at all, your thing was fine, I was just adding some reality to it. It's not just that easy to decide you want to do this.

"I've thrown a lot of poo poo in this thread" came off a bit hostile yeah?. Also no I don't know more than you about the workings of hiring $10k an hour of server time nor did I ever say I did. I was simply relaying what was posted itt at one point when it came to the plausibility of a 51% attack.

tak has very helpfully elaborated on.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

tak posted:

Oh by the way, I have no actual BTC, just $800 locked in an exchange balance. But I'll crow anyway about bitcoins being the future of money and/or a great store of value. See? the website even says that it's safe in their TOS

I find this part the most funny and ironic

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

tak posted:

:stadia:

tak posted:

Although I guess the business world has moved on from accepting payment with bitcoins because why would a rational investor ever spend a deflationary asset. So maybe those are outdated attacks and it actually is fine, actually
It was especially hilarious when Valve backed away from accepting bitcoin because the volatility over a typical transaction wait was causing them significant settlement risk. This is the famously libertarian "we'll host any game that doesn't outright break local laws" Valve.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 23, 2020

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

This isn't the only bitcoin thread on these forums, but it is the only one I post in. More importantly, this forum doesn't exist solely to entertain SilvergunSuperman.

Even more importantly this thread doesn't exist solely to entertain Fleetwood Crack, though you seem to think it does.
:frogout:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Motronic posted:

The point is if a state really wanted to kill a cryptocurrency they could cross out "one (1) tank" on a random line budget and replace it with a year of loving with the ledger

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

buttcoin

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shumagorath posted:

:stadia:

It was especially hilarious when Valve backed away from accepting bitcoin because the volatility over a typical transaction wait was causing them significant settlement risk. This is the famously libertarian "we'll host any game that doesn't outright break local laws" Valve.
Valve stopped accepting Bitcoin because volatility and high fees made for a terrible customer experience.

quote:

As of today, Steam will no longer support Bitcoin as a payment method on our platform due to high fees and volatility in the value of Bitcoin.

In the past few months we've seen an increase in the volatility in the value of Bitcoin and a significant increase in the fees to process transactions on the Bitcoin network. For example, transaction fees that are charged to the customer by the Bitcoin network have skyrocketed this year, topping out at close to $20 a transaction last week (compared to roughly $0.20 when we initially enabled Bitcoin). Unfortunately, Valve has no control over the amount of the fee. These fees result in unreasonably high costs for purchasing games when paying with Bitcoin. The high transaction fees cause even greater problems when the value of Bitcoin itself drops dramatically.

Historically, the value of Bitcoin has been volatile, but the degree of volatility has become extreme in the last few months, losing as much as 25% in value over a period of days. This creates a problem for customers trying to purchase games with Bitcoin. When checking out on Steam, a customer will transfer x amount of Bitcoin for the cost of the game, plus y amount of Bitcoin to cover the transaction fee charged by the Bitcoin network. The value of Bitcoin is only guaranteed for a certain period of time so if the transaction doesn’t complete within that window of time, then the amount of Bitcoin needed to cover the transaction can change. The amount it can change has been increasing recently to a point where it can be significantly different.

The normal resolution for this is to either refund the original payment to the user, or ask the user to transfer additional funds to cover the remaining balance. In both these cases, the user is hit with the Bitcoin network transaction fee again. This year, we’ve seen increasing number of customers get into this state. With the transaction fee being so high right now, it is not feasible to refund or ask the customer to transfer the missing balance (which itself runs the risk of underpayment again, depending on how much the value of Bitcoin changes while the Bitcoin network processes the additional transfer).

At this point, it has become untenable to support Bitcoin as a payment option. We may re-evaluate whether Bitcoin makes sense for us and for the Steam community at a later date.

We will continue working to resolve any pending issues for customers who are impacted by existing underpayments or transaction fees.

-- The Steam Team

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gobbeldygook posted:

Valve stopped accepting Bitcoin because volatility and high fees made for a terrible customer experience.

That was hard to predict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Can someone in here explain to me what bitcoins is and how it works?