Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

gourdcaptain posted:

That's a shame. The Qubeley's pretty much universally considered by everyone I know (including me) to be like the coolest suit in Zeta Gundam. And ZZ Gundam.

ZZ Gundam also has the absolute ridiculousness of the Quin Mantha, the Qubeley/Psycho Gundam mashup that I'm pretty sure you can see in the show parts of it that are from the model kits the design is mashed up out of and painted over weirdly. Also the thing is so ridiculously OP it's only defeated by one of the pilots being an absolute dumbass who stands up in a popped cockpit and gets sniped by the Zeta Gundam. Which is the most unexpected and funniest thing. Roux Louka stealth MVP of ZZ Gundam.

Well, there was a Qubeley kit when Zeta came out. It's just that the Zeta line had all the bigger suits like the Qubeley and the Byarlant released in 1/220 scale instead of 1/144.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
There's also the MG Qubeley, but that's gagging for a 2.0.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I mean, Roux IS absolutely a solid pilot and asset to the Gundam Team, unlike Beecha and Oleg. Or Puru.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So apparently Gundam Seed is getting a full redub for the HD remaster by Nozomi Entertainment? They've been dropping clips on Facebook and... it seems we're getting a 0079 Movie Dub treatment?

It's a hard bar to trip over to make Seed worse, but given the baffling pronunciation choices on display, they seem to be going for gold.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
Elle soloing Neo Zeon off screen puts her above Roux for me, personally.

Also because I love the Mk. II.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

I mean, Roux IS absolutely a solid pilot and asset to the Gundam Team, unlike Beecha and Oleg. Or Puru.

She's also the only member of the team who's a trained combat pilot at the start, so her actually being useful is, if not expected given some of the precedent, at least reasonable.

Beecha, meanwhile, is an active liability. And unlike Kai or Eugene Sevenstark, he doesn't make up for being unreliable by being really good at his job when he's actually doing it.

(Also, I just wanted to say again, for the record, Eugene's constant failure in his attempts to be cool is one of my favorite running gags in Gundam.)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

From what I remember of ZZ, Roux tends to be the most reasonable, and therefore most put upon, teenager on the Nahel Argama. Her attempts at getting the Shangri-La kids to behave was like herding cats. Hell, I think the Shangri-La kids being lovely towards her was the reason she left the ship and went to that desert city where she stumbled upon Glemy again.

super-redguy posted:

Elle soloing Neo Zeon off screen puts her above Roux for me, personally.

Also because I love the Mk. II.

During last week's episode of ReRise, Par was searching for information about Eldora on the GBN wiki and one of the search results was a link to the article about Elle Vianno. That small reference made me happier more than it should. :v:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

Ple at least has the excuse of being a literal small child with problems due to being raised by Glemmy Toto. All Beccha has going for him is the inherent comedy of the Captain Beecha title and the amazingness of his desert arc outfit where he's wearing an olive jacket, camo tank top, and a very loosely tied yellow tie all at the same time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beecha and Mondo should have been executed by Bright immediately upon their return to the Argama.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can live with Mondo at least.

Beecha on the other hand can never and should never be forgiven.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
In retrospect it's kinda funny how minimal the toyetic aspects are on the protagonists side in ZZ Gundam, you basically only have the titular suit and one or two upgrades it gets, pretty much everything else is fairly bland leftovers from the previous series

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

drrockso20 posted:

In retrospect it's kinda funny how minimal the toyetic aspects are on the protagonists side in ZZ Gundam, you basically only have the titular suit and one or two upgrades it gets, pretty much everything else is fairly bland leftovers from the previous series

There’s the Mega Rider, I suppose. Really no comparison to Neo Zeon’s whole deal.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Who designed the uniforms for Neo Zeon? Who designed the FEMALE uniforms? I don't think Haman did it, or else their tits wouldn't be out constantly.

.. Did Chara design them?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Look, they spent all that time in Axis in the outer reaches of space with nothing better to do. They had to do something just to stave off the boredom.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
So Mineva Zabi has kept the same haircut since she was a toddler? That's commitment

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Reset Smith posted:

So Mineva Zabi has kept the same haircut since she was a toddler? That's commitment

Hey, when you find something that works, you stick with it.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Reset Smith posted:

She's more of a brand than a person, gotta protect the image!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Reset Smith posted:

I think it was probably a decision to help the audience connect Audrey in Unicorn with Mineva in ZZ. She'd had a relatively small role in ZZ and in Unicorn she was ten years older and wearing different clothes and appearing in a different context and also going by a different name. So they keep the hair the same because that's like the one visual cue available to tell the audience, "hey, this is that little girl from ZZ"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
In this episode of GBD:RR, the sacred beast is an actual sacred beast, and the flying mountain is an actual flying mountain.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

In this episode of GBD:RR, the sacred beast is an actual sacred beast, and the flying mountain is an actual flying mountain.

And Captain Fuckboy realizes he’s a fuckboy for about thirty seconds but probably won’t actually change because of it. Also GBN is a strong-AI factory as well as an interstellar stargate, how the hell does it keep going as a public entertainment enterprise after all this?

They showed a little more of the end credits and Hiroto running through the sprues reminded me that for having the word “build” in the title there has been very little building in this series, even less so than in Build Divers.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

If ReRise was going for an evil rival, having Alus copy Hiroto's tactics and Core Change mechanic was a great choice. It also makes a lot of sense, since an AI would try and study the most skilled fighter out of the Build Divers. I also like how they presented the sniper as a huge threat. May having to use hers, Par's and Kazami's shields just to protect herself from a fatal blow helped sell the power of each blast.

As for the Eldorans, Cuadorn calling Freddie one of the New People suggests that the furries aren't native to the planet. Alus probably considers them invaders, despite being programmed to protect all of Eldora. It also explains why they've been fairly low-tech and don't know how to use mobile suits even though there's MS factories around.

Midjack posted:

And Captain Fuckboy realizes he’s a fuckboy for about thirty seconds but probably won’t actually change because of it.

Did you mean Kazami apologizing to Maiya for how he blabbed to Alus? I thought he's changed for the better now. Kazami from S1 wouldn't have cared for the plight of the people in the refugee camp, but now he's in the frontlines shouting at Alus that they'll protect the Eldorans, even at the risk of getting hit by the beam rifle.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Did you mean Kazami apologizing to Maiya for how he blabbed to Alus? I thought he's changed for the better now. Kazami from S1 wouldn't have cared for the plight of the people in the refugee camp, but now he's in the frontlines shouting at Alus that they'll protect the Eldorans, even at the risk of getting hit by the beam rifle.

I’m going to have to see him do something besides talk before he sheds the Captain Fuckboy title.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If Re:Rise had just cut half the s01 episodes out, it would be a genuinely solid show. This s02 stuff is so much more interesting now that there's actual stakes and dramatic tension.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

One thing that I've just realized regarding Tomino's works is that in most of them while the mecha get top billing, the other vehicles are usually still quite important

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently Alus' Gundam is just called the Alus Earthree Gundam. I thought it would have been clever if it had been the Nemesis Gundam.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

Apparently Alus' Gundam is just called the Alus Earthree Gundam. I thought it would have been clever if it had been the Nemesis Gundam.

He's an AI with zero sense of originality. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

It's actually kind of funny that May seems more sophisticated than he is in several important ways.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Droyer posted:

I wonder if he has the other Core Armors as well. It'd make sense considering otherwise there's no point to the Core Change gimmick, but the opening only shows the Earthree, while it shows every armour of the actual Core Gundam.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

He may only copy the ones he's seen. Did any of the others get used on the moon?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I wonder if he has the other Core Armors as well. It'd make sense considering otherwise there's no point to the Core Change gimmick, but the opening only shows the Earthree, while it shows every armour of the actual Core Gundam.

There's been models announced for some other armors, including an evil Nu Gundam, so we're probably getting more.

Speaking of evil Amuro, I've been playing through the second season of 00 in Cross Generations, and I'm definitely seeing what people mean about the decline. One thing that stands out, though, is how Setsuna's role is kind of hurt by the timeskip.

Setsuna's supposed to be the unlikely messiah to contrast with Ribbons and his certainty that he's the only one who can guide humanity. The thing is, the unlikely angle works so much better with season 1 Setsuna. He's still fresh off his trauma, he's a socially awkward weirdo, and his character design looks much less like the heroic lead and much more like a kid who doesn't know what he's doing.

Season 2 Setsuna is taller, less wide eyed, older, and generally better suited visually to the hero role. It loses some of the punch that, ironically enough, you got in the original Gundam. There, Amuro grew from a brat to the embodiment of the Newtype ideal in a way that highlighted his contrast with Char, who initially seems so much more cool and together than the panicky and uncertain Amuro before being revealed in all his damaged, petty, uncertain glory.

It's just another problem on the pile, but... it's interesting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I've said it before but 00 works better if you treat it as having only one season

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I've said it before but 00 works better if you treat it as having only one season
The second season is nearly as good as the first. If you skip out on the second season you miss out on all the cool 70's sci fi goodness, one of the best villians in the entire franchise, and the best gundam.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Midjack posted:

He may only copy the ones he's seen. Did any of the others get used on the moon?

If that was the case, we'd have gotten Alus Jupitive, since that was Core Gundam's space configuration.

chiasaur11 posted:

There's been models announced for some other armors, including an evil Nu Gundam, so we're probably getting more.

Speaking of evil Amuro, I've been playing through the second season of 00 in Cross Generations, and I'm definitely seeing what people mean about the decline. One thing that stands out, though, is how Setsuna's role is kind of hurt by the timeskip.

Setsuna's supposed to be the unlikely messiah to contrast with Ribbons and his certainty that he's the only one who can guide humanity. The thing is, the unlikely angle works so much better with season 1 Setsuna. He's still fresh off his trauma, he's a socially awkward weirdo, and his character design looks much less like the heroic lead and much more like a kid who doesn't know what he's doing.

Season 2 Setsuna is taller, less wide eyed, older, and generally better suited visually to the hero role. It loses some of the punch that, ironically enough, you got in the original Gundam. There, Amuro grew from a brat to the embodiment of the Newtype ideal in a way that highlighted his contrast with Char, who initially seems so much more cool and together than the panicky and uncertain Amuro before being revealed in all his damaged, petty, uncertain glory.

It's just another problem on the pile, but... it's interesting.

On the other hand, dropping True Innovator Setsuna and the QAN[T] into Seed Destiny improbably makes a lot of Destiny better, because you can mentally sub out Kira for Setsuna and have a more compelling time. Setsuna quantum teleporting all over Junius Seven and chopping up Zala's zealots while yelling about changing humanity and ripping out the root of war is just :discourse:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I didn't expect to see someone to use MS balloons as a decoy again. What was even the last Gundam series that used this?

Midjack posted:

Judging from this shot where Hiroto's still in his old guild, Alus has access to video logs in GBN so it's safe to assume they've copied the other armors.

I'm also guessing that Masaki going to Eldora somehow gave Alus the ability to tap into GBN's video feeds. It'd explain why the small One-Eyes started using Gunpla to attack the Eldorans.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I have fewer issues with season 2 of 00 compared to most but Setsuna (and Marina's whole loving plot line) is a negative for me. He was excellent as a weirdo who also makes mistakes and in season 2 he looses a bit of the vulnerabilty that made him more compelling in season 1. Season 2 Setsuna would probably not have come off and done the confrontation about being in Ali's terrorist org with Lockon 1 in Season 1. A side note to this is Feldt's romantic interest in Setsuna in Season 2 seems really weird to me and out of place. That's probably just a preference thing though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

amigolupus posted:

I didn't expect to see someone to use MS balloons as a decoy again. What was even the last Gundam series that used this?

Judging from this shot where Hiroto's still in his old guild, Alus has access to video logs in GBN so it's safe to assume they've copied the other armors.

I'm also guessing that Masaki going to Eldora somehow gave Alus the ability to tap into GBN's video feeds. It'd explain why the small One-Eyes started using Gunpla to attack the Eldorans.

Pretty sure Dummy Balloons showed up in Unicorn

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

drrockso20 posted:

G Reco had a dummy balloon ship too

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
First episode of Build Fighters Try has them too.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

They did. When the Argama's MS teams tried to hold off the Banshee, a ReZEL pops a poo poo ton out before getting smoked.

I don't remember seeing any in Narrative--they were too busy having flashy fights with the dumb gold Gundam.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

First episode of Build Fighters Try has them too.

As did the last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

If you skip out on the second season you miss out on all the cool 70's sci fi goodness,

part of the reason s1 is so liked is that it doesn't really follow tradition so i'm not sure "it has not-newtypes" is an upside in this context

Gaius Marius posted:

one of the best villians in the entire franchise

...who?

Gaius Marius posted:

and the best gundam.

???