Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I thought Scholtz would come by and do some sort of commemorative speech but oh well :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

was putting blackberries in my yogurt and suddenly remembered this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8jMn2Kcgs

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

was putting blackberries in my yogurt and suddenly remembered this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j8jMn2Kcgs

Whenever I hear the theme song I sing the “don’t pick swimming because it’s fairly useless” bit in my head every drat time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/paullicino/status/1250011319203295233

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

https://twitter.com/KinoFabino/status/1252488408154411008

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I pick swimming and will defend that decision.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'd like to hear it. :colbert:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nooooo you cant pick swimming it's a waste of valuable experiencerino

haha aqualung go brrrrrrr

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It's good for getting to that car wreck in the flooded part of Hong Kong :shrug:

Given that some (incredibly stupid) people are now calling COVID-19 an invisible enemy I think we've shot right past all of Deus Ex and gone straight into Invisible War territory in terms of sheer ridiculousness.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Angry_Ed posted:

It's good for getting to that car wreck in the flooded part of Hong Kong :shrug:

Given that some (incredibly stupid) people are now calling COVID-19 an invisible enemy I think we've shot right past all of Deus Ex and gone straight into Invisible War territory in terms of sheer ridiculousness.

Sadly the only way to stop the spread of covid-19 was to nano-bomb Chicago

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Angry_Ed posted:

Truly the darkest timeline

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

One level is alright for the move speed since the first upgrade is so cheap. Anything past that, though? Hellll no.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

making a bad build choice isn't a sin, only providing one

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Angry_Ed posted:

A past adventure...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Serephina is not the only swimming weirdo. I don't usually take it super early, but usually at some point I just sort of run out of things I want to put points in, and swimming is very cheap and can make a few sections way more interesting or easier.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
You can totally pay for the experience cost of swimming by downgrading pistol to “untrained” when you’re picking a face for JC. The game will bump it up to trained when you hit start but you keep the XP. Yeah it’s cheesy using a bug but the movement speed for trained should have been the default.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Swimming 1 and maybe 2, Environmental 2 and first aid 2 are completely OK since aside from that you only upgrade pistol anyway and complete the game with 10mm only, using GEP gun instead of lockpicks.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Also enviroment 4 and bulletproof vest gets you like 97% bullet resistance which is hilarious

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I never find that I need to upgrade first aid at all because I play like a coward, so I guess that's what funds my swimming skill.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Trained in swimming is legit when you look at cost vs benefit, it makes navigating a good amount of areas much more painless

Anything higher than that is redundant and occasional longer forays into the depths can be dealt with via health regen

I place a high premium on any skills in games like this that improve your map traversal capabilities. Obviously the most valuable are ones that open up otherwise inaccessible routes but after that anything that makes movement easier is worth it over the course of however many hours you'll spend navigating the game.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Trained in swimming is legit when you look at cost vs benefit, it makes navigating a good amount of areas much more painless

Anything higher than that is redundant and occasional longer forays into the depths can be dealt with via health regen

I place a high premium on any skills in games like this that improve your map traversal capabilities. Obviously the most valuable are ones that open up otherwise inaccessible routes but after that anything that makes movement easier is worth it over the course of however many hours you'll spend navigating the game.

Half the skills in the game are negated by regen. Environmental resistance? Regen. Drowning? Regen. Jumping from a large height? Regen.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah it's more the 50% improvement to movement speed that gives general qol benefits. But between that and the 50% improvement in lung capacity, going trained means you can travel 2.25 times as far as untrained before you start losing health, which is a big bonus in the early stages of the game before you have regen at godly levels

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm just gonna stay out of the canals at night.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

I'm just gonna stay out of the canals at night.

Come back in the morning. Sampan rides, five credits.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Wait you can have GMDX and Revision at the same time?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gyshall posted:

Wait you can have GMDX and Revision at the same time?

ya they live in different folders

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Always get trained in swimming and medicine. Having medkits heal 60 hp instead of 30 is a huge improvement. And I really hate JC's drowning sounds, so I'll take swimming just for the drowned barge on liberty island.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Why the gently caress isn't everyone just using biomod so that skill is actually useful and fun

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Why the gently caress isn't everyone just using biomod so that skill is actually useful and fun

Never play vanilla Deus Ex.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

ya they live in different folders

but meaning you can't play both at the same time?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SCheeseman posted:

What does that do to swimming? I haven’t played modded DX in... ten years, I think?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What does that do to swimming? I haven’t played modded DX in... ten years, I think?
Athletics. Faster running + jumping.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Athletics. Faster running + jumping.

Oh, neat! I’ll have to install biomod, I’m about to do another playthrough so it’ll be interesting to have something to mix it up.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thief-style mantling too. If there was ever to be a remake of Deus Ex the creators should really take influence from Biomod/Shifter, they're great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SCheeseman posted:

Thief-style mantling too. If there was ever to be a remake of Deus Ex the creators should really take influence from Biomod/Shifter, they're great.

If it was remade I’d like to see them avoid what I see as the one really glaring flaw in the game- so many skills basically go obsolete. You can master pistols or you can put a laser sight on the 10mm and click heads. You can master swimming or aqualung it up. Medicine stops mattering once you have regen (and why you would ever pick anything else for that slot, it’s so much better than energy shield). Stuff like that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Skills and progression is mostly what Biomod and Shifter (which Biomod is based on) reworks. That said it's pretty typical for immersive sims to give more than one solution to a problem. The redundancies between skills and items in the original game aren't an accident, they're by design, though they could be better balanced.

eg: In the case of health regen, Biomod actually nerfs it by adding a delay and greatly reducing it's effectiveness. It's still useful, but only in a longer term tactical sense, medkits are more useful during active combat.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 23, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

1.0 regen is the best. don’t need to upgrade it ever just slam the button as fast as you can and it triggers everytime it turn on/off. Swam down to the underwater base my first game that way.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Shifter had a problem where unless you put at least one point in athletics it was possible to get stuck. I think that was fixed at some point though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Two Owls posted:

Shifter had a problem where unless you put at least one point in athletics it was possible to get stuck. I think that was fixed at some point though.

That's one of the things Biomod fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I honestly couldn't be hosed with the DX mods when I hear poo poo like that. So there's one really huge mod that changes everything, but it's bad. So there's another mod that builds on the first [?] that also changes everything. And there's a third mod that changes everything but it compatible with the first two I think? And I swear I must be dylexic cause I keep mixing up which is which; but as you can tell I no longer care about what some random nerd's interpretation of the "Intended Experience" from a professional studio is.

Stuff like that has made me wary of mods for a very long time, and only in the past year or so have I discovered the joy of tiny, modular, well-supported mods that do pleasant things like change a tiny UI element and nothing else.