Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I'm not going in to work I don't care how much cleaning they said they did.

gently caress that and gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... Snohomish county is full of CHUDs and NIMBYs, this isn't really surprising. The residents there are probably loving this.

There are, like, Texas-levels of churches up there.

As someone who’s lived in the area for over 30 years, it’s a lot more complicated than that. I don’t know what NIMBYs have to do with wanting to open up early, but this County has been solidly blue for a long time now. The church comment is rather bizarre as well.

Even the last congressional race here was between a Democrat and a Libertarian.

gohuskies posted:

The Snohomish law enforcement community is going to be super weird now because their county prosecuting attorney is a really good guy, he got elected in 2017 or 18 on a platform of restorative justice and alternatives to incarceration, then in 2019 they elect a batshit MAGA dude as the sheriff to work with him. I don't know how much of it will go public but there is going to be some really weird courthouse internal politics happening in criminal justice up there.

Yeah, it’s really the fact that the sheriff was elected in an odd numbered year. I mean hell, voter turnout was so low that Tim Eyman won for once.

Also it’s great to hear Inslee trashing the sheriff right now, as well as the prosecuting attorney.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I think we're gonna see more counties break from states on this stuff. Closures that make sense in Seattle are being forced on places where it is not warranted, and $1200 each is a literal joke if your entire family becomes unemployed. I'd love to see the safety net infrastructure be created to ACTUALLY keep everyone afloat, I just have zero faith in that happening in the next decade, let alone during the duration of the immediate crisis.

The determination for what is and isn't essential is a literal loving joke, which isn't helping. I personally know at least two people currently stuck in severe pain because somebody NOT in severe pain decided their medically prescribed surgeries were "elective"; blanket rules need to give way to actual human oversight or poo poo is going to continue to get ugly wrt big open protests

Javid fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 23, 2020

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Javid posted:

I think we're gonna see more counties break from states on this stuff. Closures that make sense in Seattle are being forced on places where it is not warranted, and $1200 each is a literal joke if your entire family becomes unemployed. I'd love to see the safety net infrastructure be created to ACTUALLY keep everyone afloat, I just have zero faith in that happening in the next decade, let alone during the duration of the immediate crisis.

The determination for what is and isn't essential is a literal loving joke, which isn't helping. I personally know at least two people currently stuck in severe pain because somebody NOT in severe pain decided their medically prescribed surgeries were "elective"; blanket rules need to give way to actual human oversight or poo poo is going to continue to get ugly wrt big open protests

I've got some bad news for ya

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Going to be funny when Idaho opens back up waaay too soon and two weeks later there's a massive jump in cross-border transmissions.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Javid posted:

“For example, doctors can perform an elective surgery if delaying the surgery would cause harm to the patient within the next three months.
For example, the prohibition would not apply to ... a patient who needs their dentist to relieve pain or manage an infection.”

It does not seem as though there is any order preventing a person in severe pain from getting surgery that would relieve said pain.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... Snohomish county is full of CHUDs and NIMBYs, this isn't really surprising. The residents there are probably loving this.

More hottakes from the hottake machine.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It sure does say that, but people are still being refused procedures on that basis, because ????

At least attempt to meet people's needs halfway, OR actually fund the kind of relief that is required for everyone to be unemployed for however long. I'd sure rather see some states lead by example in loosening SOME restrictions and letting businesses who can safely do so return to normal operation. The most bullshit "essential" business that's open here is a store that sells bong parts and weed stuff, and their net total protective measures are some tape on the floor, and a lot of wiping of surfaces with chemicals sprayed from things. I figure anyplace that can meet those truly lofty standards should be able to be open if they want to be, without somebody whose income is secure forever bravely deciding that their income is an acceptable sacrifice

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Javid posted:

It sure does say that, but people are still being refused procedures on that basis, because ????

Because the doctors can't assure their own safety, nor the patients, because they don't have access to the PPE required. The human oversight is already in place, and they're making the kinds of painful but necessary decisions required.

https://www.governor.wa.gov/news-media/inslee-orders-halt-elective-surgeries-and-dental-services-reserve-critical-equipment

https://www.wsna.org/news/2020/wsna-calls-for-ppe-solution-before-elective-procedures-restart

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Javid posted:

At least attempt to meet people's needs halfway, OR actually fund the kind of relief that is required for everyone to be unemployed for however long. I'd sure rather see some states lead by example in loosening SOME restrictions and letting businesses who can safely do so return to normal operation. The most bullshit "essential" business that's open here is a store that sells bong parts and weed stuff, and their net total protective measures are some tape on the floor, and a lot of wiping of surfaces with chemicals sprayed from things. I figure anyplace that can meet those truly lofty standards should be able to be open if they want to be, without somebody whose income is secure forever bravely deciding that their income is an acceptable sacrifice

They are trying to do these things. When you try to enact policy on a society-wide basis there are always unfairnesses and people who are hurt by it. The idea they'd be able to magically actually determine what is essential on a granular is kind of loving stupid.

If we really wanted things that like we'd have to fund agencies that make plans these kind of contingency scenarios, then enact those plans.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

They are trying to do these things. When you try to enact policy on a society-wide basis there are always unfairnesses and people who are hurt by it. The idea they'd be able to magically actually determine what is essential on a granular is kind of loving stupid.

If we really wanted things that like we'd have to fund agencies that make plans these kind of contingency scenarios, then enact those plans.

Probably also need to make sure people feel safe and not at the whims of ever shifting half measures. Like yeah sure shut it all down, but you need to account for rent/mortgage and power and all the other expenses folks have beyond half measure stimulus and weird forgivable loan programs to pay people to come to jobs where there’s nothing to do and eviction moratoriums where you still have to come up with the cash once it’s lifted oh good luck to that person whose been unemployed for however long. Shutting down was the right call, but nobody seems to have the imagination or the initiative to make it feasible. loving half measures are just going to poison the whole thing. Worst of all possible worlds.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Javid posted:

Lmao people are being forced to buy masks from loving web cam vendors because there isn’t enough to go around but yeah we’re totes ready for more businesses to open

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

xrunner posted:

Worst of all possible worlds.

Holy poo poo, no it isn’t. The one where tens of thousands in the city die is worse. It’s even worse economically.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

Holy poo poo, no it isn’t. The one where tens of thousands in the city die is worse. It’s even worse economically.

I mean, if that was the eventual outcome of no counter measures, it’s the same outcome as inadequate measures. Support for quarantine is going to fall apart fast once it becomes apparent the only bailouts are for airlines and hotels and Boeing. So you’ll just get haphazard reopening as the economic pain becomes too dire, and now you have your worst case anyway but with complete breakdown of trust in institutions on top of it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

xrunner posted:

I mean, if that was the eventual outcome of no counter measures, it’s the same outcome as inadequate measures. Support for quarantine is going to fall apart fast once it becomes apparent the only bailouts are for airlines and hotels and Boeing. So you’ll just get haphazard reopening as the economic pain becomes too dire, and now you have your worst case anyway but with complete breakdown of trust in institutions on top of it.

Pretty much. The one-size-fits-all blanket restrictions are not sustainable without an actual emergency, which doesn't actually exist in big chunks of the PNW. One county is just the beginning.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

xrunner posted:

It's really not the same outcome. The curve is bending down, what we're doing is working to slow the virus. The vast majority of the public still supports the lockdowns even despite losing their jobs and incomes. And in places like Sweden where they didn't institute lockdowns, people basically have locked themselves down from non-essential activity voluntarily, only they did it two weeks later in the curve and so the outcome is going to be much worse.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

It's really not the same outcome. The curve is bending down, what we're doing is working to slow the virus. The vast majority of the public still supports the lockdowns even despite losing their jobs and incomes. And in places like Sweden where they didn't institute lockdowns, people basically have locked themselves down from non-essential activity voluntarily, only they did it two weeks later in the curve and so the outcome is going to be much worse.

Oh sorry I didn’t realize this poo poo was like a week from ending, because yeah the lockdowns become untenable after a lot less time than you’d think, especially given the complete failure of our state or national government to provide assurances of economic security. Is there any reason to think opening early will be less bad than closing late? Especially given that in the former scenario quarantine has already been discredited when the second wave comes along? I’m not even opposed to quarantine, but how the gently caress is it supposed to work if everyone thinks they’re hosed on the other side?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Thanatosian posted:

As a former Snohomish County resident, I never saw anyone driving a truck with a big gadsden flag flying from the back, like I do in the city of Everett, the truck owner living only a few blocks from me.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Javid posted:

I assume availability of personnel or safety equipment. No matter the reason, since there is no order in place preventing those procedures, it does not seem as though a county ignoring the order would do much to fix the problem.

Javid posted:

The most bullshit "essential" business that's open here is a store that sells bong parts and weed stuff, and their net total protective measures are some tape on the floor, and a lot of wiping of surfaces with chemicals sprayed from things. I figure anyplace that can meet those truly lofty standards should be able to be open if they want to be, without somebody whose income is secure forever bravely deciding that their income is an acceptable sacrifice

That does sound like nonsense, and you’ve managed to point out exactly why we shouldn’t leave it up to business owners to open when they want to. It shouldn’t be up to the owner of random small shop 16 to put their employees at risk because they couldn’t put some effort into safety measures.

Liquor and weed stores are open because people will be more willing to stay home if they have access to their vices. The headshop should probably be closed to. But the solution to “hey this place that’s allowed to be open isn’t doing a good job” is not “okay now everybody go open and not do a good job”.

tk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 23, 2020

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

xrunner posted:

Oh sorry I didn’t realize this poo poo was like a week from ending, because yeah the lockdowns become untenable after a lot less time than you’d think, especially given the complete failure of our state or national government to provide assurances of economic security. Is there any reason to think opening early will be less bad than closing late? Especially given that in the former scenario quarantine has already been discredited when the second wave comes along? I’m not even opposed to quarantine, but how the gently caress is it supposed to work if everyone thinks they’re hosed on the other side?

I mean you seem fairly convinced without evidence that everyone is just going to walk out of their home one day because they need money and work at jobs that no longer exist. I also agree that the country and state could do more and need to do more to alleviate the impact on people, but it’s not really the lockdown order creating that impact, it’s the virus. The economy would be hosed either way. It would be way more hosed if the virus was uncontrolled.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Basically the only choice here is between government sponsored economic shutdown after hundreds of deaths or non-government sponsored economic shutdown after tens of thousands. We can pretend there is another option for a while longer, hide the bodies to pretend the problem isn't so bad, pray for god to make the virus go away, pretend it's no worse than the flu or will go away in hot weather, and put our faith in miracle cures that turn out to kill you more rapidly than the disease does on its own, but delaying the extreme response that is needed until people do it on their own will just raise the body count by an order of magnitude. That's literally why NY is putting people in mass graves right now - they decided to punt the decision until the corpse pile became impossible to ignore. Turns out that was about two weeks.

It's economic Armageddon on top of a small pile of corpses or economic Armageddon on top of a massive one. Wishing there was a "no economic Armageddon" option available right now is just going to get more people killed.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Eggnogium posted:

I mean you seem fairly convinced without evidence that everyone is just going to walk out of their home one day because they need money and work at jobs that no longer exist. I also agree that the country and state could do more and need to do more to alleviate the impact on people, but it’s not really the lockdown order creating that impact, it’s the virus. The economy would be hosed either way. It would be way more hosed if the virus was uncontrolled.

You seem fairly convinced that people will just sit at home indefinitely with no relief in site as their situation becomes more and more unstable. I doubt it. The recent reopen protests were astroturfed but the ones that happen in a month won’t be. Especially if curve flattening works and the risk feels abstract, like it does currently in most of Oregon and the majority of Washington outside greater Seattle.

Lol I’m not even arguing against taking drastic measures. I’m just telling you that the folks who run our government are so bereft of ideas and so eager to line the pockets of their buddies that they’ll spend the whole thing sniping at each other until public support is completely undermined.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

xrunner posted:

You seem fairly convinced that people will just sit at home indefinitely with no relief in site as their situation becomes more and more unstable. I doubt it. The recent reopen protests were astroturfed but the ones that happen in a month won’t be. Especially if curve flattening works and the risk feels abstract, like it does currently in most of Oregon and the majority of Washington outside greater Seattle.

Lol I’m not even arguing against taking drastic measures. I’m just telling you that the folks who run our government are so bereft of ideas and so eager to line the pockets of their buddies that they’ll spend the whole thing sniping at each other until public support is completely undermined.

I think the corpse pile in Georgia a month from now will probably convince people that OPEN ER UP is not going to be a viable economic recovery plan on the midst of a pandemic. Let's hope.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

I think the corpse pile in Georgia a month from now will probably convince people that OPEN ER UP is not going to be a viable economic recovery plan on the midst of a pandemic. Let's hope.

Let's hope for a pile of bodies to coerce buy-in rather than effective assurances from our elected leaders to promote buy-in?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

xrunner posted:

at least Bernie got us 600 bux a week

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

at least Bernie got us 600 bux a week

Until the state unemployment funds dry up.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

xrunner posted:

Until the state unemployment funds dry up.

but inslee said it was solvent?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Friend in Seattle said Amazon Corporate is calling in people to start working as of next week. I thought poo poo was staying on ice until May?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

but inslee said it was solvent?

For now. How long it will stay that way? :shrug:

Reene posted:

Friend in Seattle said Amazon Corporate is calling in people to start working as of next week. I thought poo poo was staying on ice until May?

I promise you that amazon corporate has better information about what Washington’s plans are than the general public. But it could just be a pressure thing. Hard to know.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

xrunner posted:

I promise you that amazon corporate has better information about what Washington’s plans are than the general public. But it could just be a pressure thing. Hard to know.

I promise you that amazon does not care if their employees live or die

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Varinn posted:

I promise you that amazon does not care if their employees live or die

You say that but they’ll write you up on a final written really drat quick if you have the audacity to die on the job.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Reene posted:

Boeing went back on Tuesday. Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Inslee is holding a press conference tomorrow with leaders from the building industry association and the construction trades union, he's definitely authorizing private construction projects to resume work really soon.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

xrunner posted:

Let's hope for a pile of bodies to coerce buy-in rather than effective assurances from our elected leaders to promote buy-in?

"Better them than us" is not very ethical but right now I think it's the best we can hope for.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

xrunner posted:

For a disturbingly large proportion of people, there is no assurance any elected leader could give that would be effective.

I think the hope is less "I hope they do die" and more "I hope their eventual deaths (which are assumed to happen, rather than hoped-for) will convince others of their folly."

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Real loving tired of people from Seattle driving out here to buy groceries.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Okay cool dude

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Reene posted:

I heard Amazon corporate was basically following whatever the state's rule was at this point.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Real loving tired of people from Seattle driving out here to buy groceries.

Real loving tired of people from outside Seattle taking our loving tax money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Sorry it’s a pretty small town, the people buying for whatever apps always stand out because they are always looking at the app. Then they get in line with a minimal number of items and aren’t ever wearing gloves or masks. Many of the cashiers are old ladies who over the last four years have had ongoing conversations with my sons (and live in town so we see them when they walk) and I’m really just tired of being angry at people unnecessarily endangering their health because it’s easier to shop out here. My dad worked retail grocery for nearly four decades (in FL)and we got him to retire early to keep him safe and I’m just so loving angry these people I care about are still having goto work and risk their lives.