Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I feel like that's a lot of game locked behind exclusives. 13 decrees, which apparently are not even a part of the regular game, and 4 boards, it seems like, with a few more days to unlock more.

gently caress exclusives.

Welcome to literally every CMON kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Worked on this game personally, but I think it's quite neat: Defence of Procyon III. It's a two side wargame with two distinct factions per side, one controlling the fighting on the ground and the other one in space around the planet where the fighting is occurring. Each faction plays completely differently, each involving a different card mechanism, so there's a lot of scope for different experiences in the game. The kickstarter has some rules video and the game is intended to play quite fast as well. It also has systems to play with just 2 players as well.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Canvas looks absolutely lovely.

This looks great. I've forwarded it onto a few of my more artsy friends to see if they're interested in backing it.

I suppose my only issue with it would be scratching of the transparency in a few years, but you'd probably get enough mileage out of it before that happens.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

The_Doctor posted:

Canvas looks absolutely lovely.

I backed R2i's previous two games and am very happy with them.
This looks like a step up for them from the lighter games they offered before, but I am not entirely convinced it is what I am interested in.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Tekopo posted:

Worked on this game personally, but I think it's quite neat: Defence of Procyon III. It's a two side wargame with two distinct factions per side, one controlling the fighting on the ground and the other one in space around the planet where the fighting is occurring. Each faction plays completely differently, each involving a different card mechanism, so there's a lot of scope for different experiences in the game. The kickstarter has some rules video and the game is intended to play quite fast as well. It also has systems to play with just 2 players as well.
This looks great, I'm all for some UK centric delivery prices and the assymetry is intriguing. I will check out some videos because £90 is a chunk of change right now but it all looks very cool.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Hopefully Canvas will have better quality transparent cards than Gloom did

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HJE-Cobra posted:

Well, I've backed the kickstarter for the Wolfenstein board game, the same week that my Reichbusters board game has arrived in my hands. Now I'm going to wind up with two dungeon crawl board games about battling super-Nazis that I'm probably like never going to actually play. Feels kinda silly to back both of these, but I can't stop myself!

I keep looking at picking up Nemesis when it reprints, even though I KSed Lifeform, which is thematically identical (Alien with the serial numbers filed off), but Nemesis has nice miniatures...

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

The original announcement was pretty "...unless you just happen to put it back in, wink wink nudge", and the old editions were pretty ugly in the "glorious and noble southern gentlemen fighting the Evil North who are so evil they never win anything ever" sense. So I'll be interested to know how they drop the CSA and what they replace it with.

The current statement, and here's the relevant excerpt:

quote:

I’m a fiscal conservative and social liberal, have an MA in Military History, and am well-versed in the Civil War, the West, and the 19th century in general. I stand by the original decision to use the war to create the fear and terror of Deadlands (the same theme we explore in our Weird Wars line), and I stand by the decision now to change course.

Here’s why. Having characters loyal to the CSA…not just “Southerners” but actual loyalists to the cause, even if anti-slavery but loyal for some reason, can be *incredibly* uncomfortable for others at the table. Imagine the GM having to roleplay those voices. That’s not fun. That’s not what our game’s about. We want you to laugh and smile and roll Aces and get excited about your next session. And if you and your group want to explore heavier themes, go for it! But that’s something you and your friends can handle better than we can do in print where we deal with players and Marshals all over the world.

Mixed bag IMHO. He's not saying that the original usage was a mistake, but he does seem to be aware of why it's a bad idea to some degree. Obviously if it's uncomfortable for some players now, it was uncomfortable for them a decade ago, so he's not being consistent.

They don't really replace it with anything -- they just retconned fictional history and ended the CSA in 1871.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The_Doctor posted:

I keep looking at picking up Nemesis when it reprints, even though I KSed Lifeform, which is thematically identical (Alien with the serial numbers filed off), but Nemesis has nice miniatures...

I have both, and the game mechanics are different enough to be worthwhile having both if you are a fan of Alien / Intruder style games.

That reminds me, I was going to re-write Intruder rules to be compatible with Nemesis.... hmmmm. Weekend project maybe.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LOL “fiscally conservative / socially liberal,” the ol’ “society’s problems are bad but the causes are very good” trope.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

HJE-Cobra posted:

Well, I've backed the kickstarter for the Wolfenstein board game

Didn't know this was something. Been playing through the video games again and I was leaning towards going all in on the ks but fortunately slept on it and have decided otherwise since it'll get played once and never again.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe
For anyone backing the Wolfenstein kickstarter, I would be very wary of backing them. The company has a history of not delivering and shadiness:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/g26tpw/if_youre_thinking_of_backing_the_wolfenstein/

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2407629/anybody-know-designers

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

I feel like having the backing of Bethesda/Machine Games would keep them on the level especially since it appears that this game is canon and clears up why everyone in Wolfensisters: Youngblood keeps referring to BJ as the guy who killed Hitler.

on the other hand prodos lol

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tekopo posted:

Out of curiosity, what sort of work did you do on it? I've got my eye on it and I've always enjoyed reading your opinions here.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tekopo posted:

That looks really interesting. The art design is a swing and a miss for me, but I love the ideas of:

a) Team-based play
and
b) Air support / Ground forces teams, with each playing very differently.

I'm a wee bit concerned about the result looking a bit like 4 different games in one but could be really nice if it's pulled off. Gamplay chain is only as good as its weakest link, etc.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I have found that in Root, each player needs complete knowledge of all factions to have a reasonable game. In COINs, this factor is still there but not by as much, and the factions being simpler and in general buckets helps. How would you say this game handles that? Turczi's comment about each player not needing to know the details of opponents' rules is a little scary.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

I feel like having the backing of Bethesda/Machine Games would keep them on the level especially since it appears that this game is canon and clears up why everyone in Wolfensisters: Youngblood keeps referring to BJ as the guy who killed Hitler.
Having seen the Fallout 76 debacle unfold I would be less than confident in Bethesda's oversight of the project. They don't give a poo poo about quality control on their own products and are happy to poo poo out subpar spinoff merch, why should they be trusted to hold someone to a higher standard than they hold themselves?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Warthur posted:

Having seen the Fallout 76 debacle unfold I would be less than confident in Bethesda's oversight of the project. They don't give a poo poo about quality control on their own products and are happy to poo poo out subpar spinoff merch, why should they be trusted to hold someone to a higher standard than they hold themselves?

Actually the fallout branded board games are pretty good and good quality. Hell, even the non game stuff tends to be pretty high quality

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Zero posted:

Actually the fallout branded board games are pretty good and good quality. Hell, even the non game stuff tends to be pretty high quality

I picked up the Fallout base game for $20 from a Target the other week, but haven’t opened it yet, so that’s good news. :toot:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanlis posted:

Mixed bag IMHO. He's not saying that the original usage was a mistake, but he does seem to be aware of why it's a bad idea to some degree. Obviously if it's uncomfortable for some players now, it was uncomfortable for them a decade ago, so he's not being consistent.

They don't really replace it with anything -- they just retconned fictional history and ended the CSA in 1871.

I think it's now at least harder to ignore people have a problem with it. Nobody's sticking to a single mailing list like when the game first dropped. Certainly I have some friends who are both black and game and are interested in Deadlands as a concept... until they hit you know what and wonder if Shane is for real in TYOOL 2020.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Memnaelar posted:

Out of curiosity, what sort of work did you do on it? I've got my eye on it and I've always enjoyed reading your opinions here.
I was an early play tester and did enough work on it to be considered a developer. The game developed quite radically through the play test cycle, it’s honestly quite weird to see where it is now considering where it started.

rchandra posted:

I have found that in Root, each player needs complete knowledge of all factions to have a reasonable game. In COINs, this factor is still there but not by as much, and the factions being simpler and in general buckets helps. How would you say this game handles that? Turczi's comment about each player not needing to know the details of opponents' rules is a little scary.
The game is more robust than Root because you only realistically need to know your direct opponent in order to play. So if I’m playing space the only rules that I would need to know to play at a decent level are my rules and the one of the other space player. In Root you are directly competing against several distinct factions, in Procyon you are only really competing against one, while helping your team mate in various ways. There was quite a lot of work done in other to encourage cross-board interaction.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Just want to plug the project Curators because I mentored them during a game design contest for this particular project they ended up winning. The game looks to be a lot of fun and has diverse elements and I know they've worked hard on it as well. Subject is also close to me since I work in libraries and museums.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/worldshapers/curators

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Thanlis posted:

He's been doing a bit of white-washing since the very beginning. The original CSA sourcebook has a blurb about Jefferson Davis intending to end slavery over the objections of the plantation owners but oops eaten by a doppelganger. Though up until 2016 a lot of people were willing to romanticize certain concepts of the CSA in a way that only works when something like that is way in the past and it had been like that for a while. Wild west fiction is full of it, one of the bigger nerd franchises of the last 20 years is predicated entirely on a Quantrill's Raiders analog fighting the good fight against the evil North and one of the best movies of '07 painted one of the more vicious CSA raiders as a romantic , tragic figure.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Firefly was always bad and Whedon is a hack who doesn't realise that if you keep the witty banter dial cranked to 11 all the time all you do is make everyone jaded with witty banter.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

It's telling that Whedon produced an entire passion-project show based on Westerns without actually understanding the context of the genre.

"Mal & Zoe fought for independence against tyranny!"

*three episodes later* oh look it's the reconstruction American South

*two episodes after that* oh look slaves. some worlds actually have slaves.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Zurui posted:

It's telling that Whedon produced an entire passion-project show based on Westerns without actually understanding the context of the genre.

Whole hell of a lot of self-professed nerds in media don't actually understand the poo poo they're emulating. See also: Abrams, J.J.; Kurtzman, Alex; et.al.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Firefly was always bad and Whedon is a hack who doesn't realise that if you keep the witty banter dial cranked to 11 all the time all you do is make everyone jaded with witty banter.

I think the greatest blow to Whedon creatively was that terrible Wonder Woman script that was mostly about how much Steve wanted to bang her.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Warthur posted:

They've absolutely lost control of Fallout but all of the Wolf & Stein games have been good to go day one so I'd hope they'd want to follow with the success of that ip. Of course it'll be a marketing manager at Bethesda and not MG so who knows. Anyway though like I said, prodos lol

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Dawgstar posted:

I think the greatest blow to Whedon creatively was Whedon.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

A fun pub quiz game would be to grab some of the less widely-quoted lines from a Whedon script and file off all the story-specific names and references, and have people guess which Whedon project it was from. It'll be incredibly difficult because all Whedon characters basically sound the same.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He's been doing a bit of white-washing since the very beginning. The original CSA sourcebook has a blurb about Jefferson Davis intending to end slavery over the objections of the plantation owners but oops eaten by a doppelganger. Though up until 2016 a lot of people were willing to romanticize certain concepts of the CSA in a way that only works when something like that is way in the past and it had been like that for a while. Wild west fiction is full of it, one of the bigger nerd franchises of the last 20 years is predicated entirely on a Quantrill's Raiders analog fighting the good fight against the evil North and one of the best movies of '07 painted one of the more vicious CSA raiders as a romantic , tragic figure.

Yeah, it's the "make Hitler a demon" mistake. Shane doesn't get that by assigning supernatural explanations to real world evil, you absolve the humans involved. "I stand by the original decision to use the war to create the fear and terror of Deadlands."

I mean, I may still back this; I like the Weird West conceptually. Or I may remember that I have Haunted West coming.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Just wanted to drop in and mention that my slice-of-life tabletop RPG Tiny Taverns is now in its final 40 hours on Kickstarter. If you're interested in backing, we've actually unlocked a stretch goal for additional content (DLC style, it'll be a free PDF).

I'm absolutely floored by the support we've received. Our funding goal was $1000, and we tried to keep the backing tiers low and affordable. As of right now, we're at $8,593 and over 725 backers. We added a stretch goal that was unlocked in two days, and we're just about $400 away from unlocking a second stretch goal. I never thought we'd see this much support. I am super grateful. Thank you, guys!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

A fun pub quiz game would be to grab some of the less widely-quoted lines from a Whedon script and file off all the story-specific names and references, and have people guess which Whedon project it was from. It'll be incredibly difficult because all Whedon characters basically sound the same.

It was Age of Ultron when I realized he just couldn't let a dramatic moment hang for just, like, a minute before deflating it with some quip. And then once I noticed it there I couldn't stop.

Not that it's really good to go revisit his old stuff. Even if I thought Firefly was great, and I didn't, there's still all that Adam Baldwin all over it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Dawgstar posted:

Even if I thought Firefly was great, and I didn't, there's still all that Adam Baldwin all over it.

This was... Jayne's actor? What did he do, did he milkshake duck or did he assault someone?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

This was... Jayne's actor? What did he do, did he milkshake duck or did he assault someone?
He was a big name in Gamergate and might be the person who first used the corresponding hashtag. "Milkshake duck" is an understatement.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also I'm pretty sure he's some sort of right-winger beyond just the gamergate thing.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kai Tave posted:

Also I'm pretty sure he's some sort of right-winger beyond just the gamergate thing.

Well poo poo, that's disappointing. I saw him at a con once and he was really fun. I also kinda enjoyed Firefly in a very noncritical "funny fake western in space" way, but was never part of the "greatest show ever, bring it back CANT STOP THE SIGNAL" crowd.

Then again, I've also avoided rewatching any of it since I know it won't hold up now that I'm more aware of the problematic influences it draws on. I am content with leaving it a fond dumb college years memory

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cat Face Joe posted:

Bethesda is famous for not exercising any quality control on stuff they subcontract. Like the physical rewards for the top-tier Fallout 76 pre-orders.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

Well poo poo, that's disappointing. I saw him at a con once and he was really fun. I also kinda enjoyed Firefly in a very noncritical "funny fake western in space" way, but was never part of the "greatest show ever, bring it back CANT STOP THE SIGNAL" crowd.

Then again, I've also avoided rewatching any of it since I know it won't hold up now that I'm more aware of the problematic influences it draws on. I am content with leaving it a fond dumb college years memory

As far as I've heard it, it sounds like he was a reasonably cool dude back in the Firefly days and then he drank some really gross kool-aid and reconsidered his beliefs in entirely the wrong direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

That's a whole lot more milkshake duck than I expected, good to know.

I too am of the 'haven't watched Firefly in like a decade and that's probably for the best' camp. I still really have a soft spot for 'space series where you have a small, junky ship flying around' like Firefly or Cowboy Bebop and I don't want it spoiled by Retroactive Whedon Reality Recognition.