Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i hope cloud gets climhazzard as a weapon ability in the next game, thatd do a lot to help him with flying enemies. blizzard and aero need some rebalancing also, the idea of them being bombs is cool but they just arent very practical against most enemies compared to how useful fire and thunder are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Replaying the game now. The time from start to Reactor 5 is like, an hour, and this is for somebody who hasn't played the original in two decades. The remake is a shitload bigger.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Replaying the game now. The time from start to Reactor 5 is like, an hour, and this is for somebody who hasn't played the original in two decades. The remake is a shitload bigger.

Yeah I blew through Midgar in like 3-4 hours on my original game replay I started yesterday, it was hilarious. It goes by so much faster than I remember. I think like 15 minutes of that was just me repeatedly loving up the little stealth minigame in Shinra Tower, too.

sharrrk posted:

blizzard and aero need some rebalancing also, the idea of them being bombs is cool but they just arent very practical against most enemies compared to how useful fire and thunder are

Maybe that could be a way to differentiate different levels of spells and maybe give them all a niche, rather than having the third-level spells kinda never be worth casting because they take so long and cost so much MP. Like the first-level spells all just hit one enemy immediately, second-level spells lay a bomb that is delayed but does AoE, stuff like that. That way that kind of spell still exists but it isn't element-specific and doesn't make using those specific elements more of a pain to use.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 23, 2020

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Harrow posted:

Yeah I blew through Midgar in like 3-4 hours on my original game replay I started yesterday, it was hilarious. It goes by so much faster than I remember. I think like 15 minutes of that was just me repeatedly loving up the little stealth minigame in Shinra Tower, too.

Maybe that could be a way to differentiate different levels of spells and maybe give them all a niche, rather than having the third-level spells kinda never be worth casting because they take so long and cost so much MP. Like the first-level spells all just hit one enemy immediately, second-level spells lay a bomb that is delayed but does AoE, stuff like that. That way that kind of spell still exists but it isn't element-specific and doesn't make using those specific elements more of a pain to use.

See, I got a shitload of utility out of -aga spells. Aeraga was the trickiest. Blizzaga had some utility because generally stuff that was weak to it got stunned by the initial hit and it's range is big. Firaga and Thundaga are essentially the same. And the damage difference between -aga and -ara is actually substantial. I punked Hell House pretty handily with a full element complement on Aerith. So I don't agree that they're never worth using but I do agree that you have to put more work in order to use them.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i always liked how the magic in 358/2 days changed in function with the different levels instead of just being straight upgrades. like, fire was the traditional homing fireball, fira didn't home but would explode on contact, and firaga was a big fireball that shot in an arc and would explode when it hits the ground. it was a cool way to keep every spell relevant

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

See, I got a shitload of utility out of -aga spells. Aeraga was the trickiest. Blizzaga had some utility because generally stuff that was weak to it got stunned by the initial hit and it's range is big. Firaga and Thundaga are essentially the same. And the damage difference between -aga and -ara is actually substantial. I punked Hell House pretty handily with a full element complement on Aerith. So I don't agree that they're never worth using but I do agree that you have to put more work in order to use them.

Yeah, you're right, I'm exaggerating a bit. It's more that the -aga spells are really situational and risky to use while the level 1 spells never stop being useful for putting pressure on. There are definitely times when Aerith standing in an Arcane Ward raining down -aga spell death can be very powerful. It's just that, for general use and without the setup, they're sorta traps. If you're used to always graduating from one spell level to the next in FF games, you're going to burn your MP like crazy trying to use -aga spells as your primary elemental spells, when in actuality the level 1 spells are still very useful and probably better for the thing you need in the moment (hitting a weakness to make an enemy pressured).

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Harrow posted:

Yeah, you're right, I'm exaggerating a bit. It's more that the -aga spells are really situational and risky to use while the level 1 spells never stop being useful for putting pressure on. There are definitely times when Aerith standing in an Arcane Ward raining down -aga spell death can be very powerful. It's just that, for general use and without the setup, they're sorta traps. If you're used to always graduating from one spell level to the next in FF games, you're going to burn your MP like crazy trying to use -aga spells as your primary elemental spells, when in actuality the level 1 spells are still very useful and probably better for the thing you need in the moment (hitting a weakness to make an enemy pressured).

Yeah, that's one thing Remake does really well. The risk/reward system it sets up when it comes to casting higher spells helps make the lower tier ones still useful unlike the original game with casting time being the other lynchpin to making it all work.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speed should govern cast time and magic projectile speed

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

morallyobjected posted:

I know this was from a couple pages back, but why do people actively seek out reasons to poo poo on Nomura? like "I don't know what happened with FFXV but it was probably his fault"? what. this is a company who made him director of a project and didn't bother to tell him about it. he had like nothing to do with FFXV's final product--that was all Tabata, who they brought in to work on it to free up Nomura for KH3, probably. Nomura was never in a main story role for FF7 (that was Nojima and Kitase), so it's weird to think that he was going to somehow come in and ruin this.

Like I love Square-Enix, but their development cycles and project management are hosed and little to none of that is Nomura's fault, but he always gets the blame for it.

I... laid out the reasons for why I don't like Tetsuya Nomura in the post you quoted. Advent Children lies on his doorstep, and FFXV was at least partially turbo-hosed as a result of his team's inability to do loving anything of value with the budget and time they were allotted for Final Fantasy Versus XIII. His pet franchise is Kingdom Hearts, and I paid for the third game and played it. I'm not suggesting that Tetsuya Nomura is walking cancer who ruins everything he touches, because I also referenced works he's been credited as a writer for which I enjoyed. But to pretend that, like, oh man Tetsuya Nomura is just this really cool dude and there's no reason to be suspicious that he's diving way into excess on a videogame project that he runs, it's all Square-Enix's fault and the suits and poo poo -- that's pretty disingenuous.

I'm not sure what part of that was unclear from what I wrote.

sharrrk posted:

i hope cloud gets climhazzard as a weapon ability in the next game, thatd do a lot to help him with flying enemies. blizzard and aero need some rebalancing also, the idea of them being bombs is cool but they just arent very practical against most enemies compared to how useful fire and thunder are

Climhazzard is explicitly already in this game as his second Limit, Ascension. If what you're saying is that you wish they tune that back down into an anti-air weapon skill then that could be cool, but it would require a little retroactive removal or changing of what qualifies as a Limit Break for our Good Boy.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

guts and bolts posted:

But to pretend that, like, oh man Tetsuya Nomura is just this really cool dude and there's no reason to be suspicious that he's diving way into excess on a videogame project that he runs, it's all Square-Enix's fault and the suits and poo poo -- that's pretty disingenuous.

I'm not sure what part of that was unclear from what I wrote.

every individual thing you're complaining about is the result of the work if hundreds if not thousands of people and the idea that this one single person is responsible for how offensively bad you think all of these video games are (in reality they range from okay to pretty good) is a very Online opinion bereft of value among adults

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bleck posted:

every individual thing you're complaining about is the result of the work if hundreds if not thousands of people and the idea that this one single person is responsible for how offensively bad you think all of these video games are (in reality they range from okay to pretty good) is a very Online opinion bereft of value among adults

Nah. He's credited as director, concept design, main story, and character designer of Kingdom Hearts III, which is not "okay to pretty good," it is almost insultingly terrible. FFXV is a mediocre mess at best, and is the direct result of Versus XIII being a mismanaged disaster; Nomura was attached to that project as director, concept designer, and scenario writer before being removed from Final Fantasy XV entirely so that he could finish KH3 and they could find a way to ship the drat thing. He is the director, character designer, and story writer for Advent Children, which is not "okay to pretty good," I'm not even sure how to respond to that. Of course there were teams that worked on each title, but the buck stops with the guy in charge. Your desperate attempt to trivialize my opinion as something ~cool adults don't have~ is ridiculous, so I'd probably cool it with that, thanks.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
allow me to be more direct; nobody is interested in or impressed with how much you personally dislike this guy

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Would you call Tetsuya Nomura an auteur

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bleck posted:

allow me to be more direct; nobody is interested in or impressed with how much you personally dislike this guy

Cool, allow me to be more direct - people care about your posting about my posting even less. You have nothing of substance to add other than being defensive about Tetsuya Nomura. Which, cool, I guess.

homeless snail posted:

Would you call Tetsuya Nomura an auteur

Well yeah. Projects he's attached to seem to have a pretty distinct voice, like it or not; like The World Ends With You is pretty emphatically a Nomura game to me. I guess you'd measure who is an auteur and who isn't based on pretty subjective criteria, but my personal litmus test is if you can guess who's attached to a project based on limited information or at a glance. Zone of the Enders was obviously a Kojima game, as was Death Stranding. Bayonetta you could probably see Hideki Kamiya's fingerprints on that from orbit. I think Nomura's certainly in that category.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Apr 23, 2020

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

Climhazzard is explicitly already in this game as his second Limit, Ascension. If what you're saying is that you wish they tune that back down into an anti-air weapon skill then that could be cool, but it would require a little retroactive removal or changing of what qualifies as a Limit Break for our Good Boy.

ascension is a whole lot more than just climhazzard my guy. they even changed the name for it so theres no reason they cant have both. and that's assuming they dont just change up the limit breaks completely with each game anyway

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

sharrrk posted:

ascension is a whole lot more than just climhazzard my guy. they even changed the name for it so theres no reason they cant have both. and that's assuming they dont just change up the limit breaks completely with each game anyway

I mean, there's like a cool auto-combo beforehand, but he does the iconic Climhazzard liftoff complete with the pretty color trail on his sword when he finishes the Limit Break. it's pretty obviously the New Climhazzard. I think it would be cool to give him something for better contending with aerial enemies, for sure, and if they scaled Climhazzard back into a weapon skill instead that could be pretty cool. I mostly think they should just improve his air combo. Like, Tifa, if you get her chi level up, it extends her air combo and increases the damage it does. Her air combo goes on for a pretty long time if she's got charges. Cloud just three-hits no matter what, AFAIK.

edit: I think Ascension is just a way to sex up the originally-intended name. In Japanese I'm pretty sure that Limit literally translates to "Climb Hazard" or "Climbing Hazard" or some such, loosely it would be like "Dangerous Climb" maybe? Ascension communicates that more cleanly is all.

I'm curious what you think will happen with the Limits in the sequel. What everyone thinks, really. Do you think they just start you off with Ascension and ignore Cross Slash, or you keep Cross Slash and your new Limits will be other stuff, or just revamp the system entirely? I think I kinda like the "some of the old Limits are still Limits, but some of them are just weapon skills now" thing they did, particularly with Cloud where Braver and Blade Beam/Burst are just things he can do with ATB, and making Climhazzard a weapon skill instead of Limit could fit that bill nicely.

VVVVVVVV

morallyobjected posted:

replaying chapter 3 on hard and I hate this loving dog so much

I think he's a good candidate for just blasting with ice magic and whaling on him with Elemental-Ice in Cloud's weapon. You can get away with saving MP elsewhere, so just blow him up and make it easier on yourself.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 23, 2020

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

e: complaining worked. got him next try

^^^^^^^^ my problem was he kept dodging the ice magic

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 23, 2020

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

morallyobjected posted:

e: complaining worked. got him next try

^^^^^^^^ my problem was he kept dodging the ice magic

Yeah, he's a prick. The good news is that if you killed Wrath Hound you can kill basically anything up to, like, Eligor, probably, so it should be smoother sailing at least.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dolphin Flurry already looks more awesome than original Final Heaven, wonder what Tifa's next limit break will be

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Dolphin Flurry already looks more awesome than original Final Heaven, wonder what Tifa's next limit break will be

I thought they'd keep a pattern going where they would do, like, one Limit from each tier stays a Limit, and the other is a weapon skill. Braver is a skill, Cross Slash is a Limit. Blade Beam is a skill, Climhazzard/Ascension is a Limit. I also kinda thought we'd get more Limits than we did based on how early Cloud and Aerith get their Legacy unlocks, but you don't, so that was a bummer. And they totally broke what I imagined the pattern was because Barret's Legacy is loving Catastrophe and both Tifa and Aerith's Legacy unlocks a Limit that was traditionally a tier 3 attack, not 2.

So honestly I have no idea if they're gonna even hew as closely to the original Limit Breaks anymore in the sequel. I feel pretty confident that Cloud, Tifa, and Aerith's final Limits will stay the same, more or less, because of how they're named and how iconic they are (Omnislash has gotta be the last one we'll ever get, right?) but everything else feels like it's on the table.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Omnislash is going to trigger a five minute prerender/realtime sequence

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
My wife got the “Sauce” quest. Is this a reference to something from one of the side games or are we too loving old because neither of us get why “sauce” is supposed to be funny.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

Zone of the Enders was obviously a Kojima game

Kojima had very little to do with ZOE. The fact his name is so attached to it at all is a marketing tool as he was red hot after MGS. He gave a few notes here and there and advised on the music style and that's it.

He had even less involvement than that in ZOE2.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Necrothatcher posted:

Kojima had very little to do with ZOE. The fact his name is so attached to it at all is a marketing tool as he was red hot after MGS. He gave a few notes here and there and advised on the music style and that's it.

He had even less involvement than that in ZOE2.

I think he's only credited as a producer? Maybe? But those games still feel like Kojima games to me. There's a lot of overwrought plotting going on in the background of both ZOE and ZOE2 that you can dig into if you want, but the games are fundamentally just fun (if sometimes experimental) and the characters are cool, which tends to be true in most games he's behind (MGS as a series has some pretty revolutionary and entertaining gameplay, even when the overarching plot goes deep into geopolitics and poo poo). ZOE2 even features indulgent references to other Konami works, with Leo's LEV being just straight up named the Vic Viper from Gradius, IIRC? If he really had so little involvement I'm surprised he apparently cared so much about trying to create a third, because that was definitely a thing for a while.

You definitely know more than I do. I happen to really like ZOE2 especially, so any reason why he wanted to do ZOE3 and then just kinda... didn't? Or is that not real

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

I think he's only credited as a producer? Maybe? But those games still feel like Kojima games to me. There's a lot of overwrought plotting going on in the background of both ZOE and ZOE2 that you can dig into if you want, but the games are fundamentally just fun (if sometimes experimental) and the characters are cool, which tends to be true in most games he's behind (MGS as a series has some pretty revolutionary and entertaining gameplay, even when the overarching plot goes deep into geopolitics and poo poo). ZOE2 even features indulgent references to other Konami works, with Leo's LEV being just straight up named the Vic Viper from Gradius, IIRC? If he really had so little involvement I'm surprised he apparently cared so much about trying to create a third, because that was definitely a thing for a while.

You definitely know more than I do. I happen to really like ZOE2 especially, so any reason why he wanted to do ZOE3 and then just kinda... didn't? Or is that not real

Director, writer and scenario design is Noriaki Okamura. Kojima was 100% focused on MGS2 after MGS1 wrapped and didn't have time for much else, so Konami figured they could boost sales of their new mech title by billing it as the "next game from Hideo Kojima" and everyone just kinda went with it. Here's an interview with Okamura from before the first game's release talking about its development: https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/12/13/zoe-in-the-directors-seat

quote:

""Has Kojima-san had much influence into the game's design?

Okamura: Mr. Kojima is the producer. He's created the perfect environment where our team can create the best game we can. Nowadays, he's been giving us a lot of useful hints and tips regarding the actual development of the game."

It's not like he had nothing to do with it but it's almost 100% an Okamura game. But 'Okamura' doesn't shift units like 'Kojima' does.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Necrothatcher posted:

Director, writer and scenario design is Noriaki Okamura. Kojima was 100% focused on MGS2 after MGS1 wrapped and didn't have time for much else, so Konami figured they could boost sales of their new mech title by billing it as the "next game from Hideo Kojima" and everyone just kinda went with it. Here's an interview with Okamura from before the first game's release talking about its development: https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/12/13/zoe-in-the-directors-seat

It's not like he had nothing to do with it but it's almost 100% an Okamura game. But 'Okamura' doesn't shift units like 'Kojima' does.

For sure. In fairness I'm not above that kind of marketing bullshit, apparently - I wholly believed Kojima was involved a decent amount with the game, and I pretty much only bought ZOE because it came with an MGS2 demo disc. I wonder then how much of my perception of ZOE being "a Kojima game" is tied to, like, nostalgia or memories just wrapping it all up in a Metal Gear Solid/Zone of the Enders/Boktai stretch of Konami games I enjoyed. That was a pretty great run right at the turn of the millennium. I think MGS2, Boktai, and ZOE2 were all in the same, like, three year period.

e: I assume now that Kojima also had his name just stuck on Boktai to move units? He's similarly only listed as having a producer/designer role on wikipedia

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

e: I assume now that Kojima also had his name just stuck on Boktai to move units? He's similarly only listed as having a producer/designer role on wikipedia

I don't know that much about Boktai's development, but I think it's the same sort of deal.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Yeesh. Well I'm a sheep

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I was playing a bit of FF12zodiac before this (I thought "hey maybe the jobs will be kinda cool?") and it makes me realise that FF7 8 9 and 10 all had really strong character stuff (well, OK, 8 is a bit... eh) and 12 has like none of that.

None of the characters in 12 even seem like they enjoy each other's presence very much, other than Balthier and Fran being Han and Chewie. Nobody talks to each other. How do Basch and Penelo feel about each other? Who loving knows, they barely speak to each other.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Wow, there was a shitload of vile vomit about KH while I was out. I thought about saying something but yeesh.

So on actual topic. I'm still thinking about how Cait, Red, Vincent and Yuffie will be playing in the next game. I've seen arguments that Cait should remain a gambler but like... I have never enjoyed this archetype in any game, and I don't see it being fun in 7R. That said, I don't know if you just go full Bard for him, or maybe take him down the Astrologian path with the whole 'Fortuneteller' gimmick at the start. Mostly I'm trying to see how they don't step on existing archetypes from this game, while also not being unfun/unplayable drek.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

quote:

I was playing a bit of FF12zodiac before this (I thought "hey maybe the jobs will be kinda cool?") and it makes me realise that FF7 8 9 and 10 all had really strong character stuff (well, OK, 8 is a bit... eh) and 12 has like none of that.

None of the characters in 12 even seem like they enjoy each other's presence very much, other than Balthier and Fran being Han and Chewie. Nobody talks to each other. How do Basch and Penelo feel about each other? Who loving knows, they barely speak to each other.

I think they kept the interactions lower than other games to avoid the whole one-guy-goes-on-an-epiphany thing where they leave the party for a bit. As far as I can tell, FFXII seems to be the only one where the entire party stays together all game once each character is introduced properly. So they can be rotated in and out at will.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Wasn't there some weird thing where Vaan and Penelo were added at the last minute because Square didn't think a game with older adults as the main characters would work

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wasn't there some weird thing where Vaan and Penelo were added at the last minute because Square didn't think a game with older adults as the main characters would work

Yeah that's my understanding lol. I think you were originally playing as Balthier. I wish you played as Balthier.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
That is untrue, that has never been the case. I have had to spend years of my life loving debunking this bullshit, please don't continue to spread it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If they did it came back to bite them, since everyone was all "Vaan is the worst main character!" when the plot was like 90% Ashe's story to tell

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Onmi posted:

That is untrue, that has never been the case. I have had to spend years of my life loving debunking this bullshit, please don't continue to spread it.

Oh ok. I said that's my understanding. I've just heard it so many times, but I'll take your work for it. It makes sense given the loving boring starting pair.

I still wish you played as Balthier.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

bewilderment posted:

The core three characters in 12 as I see them are Ashe, Basch, and then soooorta Balthier, where Fran is cool as yeah the Chewie to Balthier's Han Solo, and even Vaan I'm kinda okay with to serve as like a sounding board for Ashe? Penelo just feels wholly pointless. Would've been cool to have Larsa or Reddas in that spot or something.

Onmi posted:

I've seen arguments that Cait should remain a gambler but like... I have never enjoyed this archetype in any game, and I don't see it being fun in 7R. That said, I don't know if you just go full Bard for him, or maybe take him down the Astrologian path with the whole 'Fortuneteller' gimmick at the start. Mostly I'm trying to see how they don't step on existing archetypes from this game, while also not being unfun/unplayable drek.

Cait Sith as a bard archetype makes a lot of sense, and slots are kinda his thing. It would seem jarring if they just straight removed them from his toolkit, even as Limit Breaks, but he's the character they have the most room to improve upon, because he only has two Limit Breaks in OG FF7 anyway. Who knows what they do with him next I guess.

JBP posted:

I still wish you played as Balthier.

This is the correct take.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Onmi posted:

So on actual topic. I'm still thinking about how Cait, Red, Vincent and Yuffie will be playing in the next game. I've seen arguments that Cait should remain a gambler but like... I have never enjoyed this archetype in any game, and I don't see it being fun in 7R. That said, I don't know if you just go full Bard for him, or maybe take him down the Astrologian path with the whole 'Fortuneteller' gimmick at the start. Mostly I'm trying to see how they don't step on existing archetypes from this game, while also not being unfun/unplayable drek.

Cait Sith should play like the Hunting Horn from Monster Hunter.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It wasn't even Balthier that the rumor was about, it was Basch, and that change was super early. Vaan was more masculine originally before they made him more of a pretty boy due to demo and the dude they cast to play him. Those two things kinda get conflated into "Vaan was added last minute"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have tried twice in my life to play FF12 and both times I got bored around the "I'm Captain Basch Von Ronsenburg of Dalmasca" quest and ended up falling off and playing something else