Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

memory 32GB
network 1Gbps
gpu RTX 2080
cpu temperature 3,600°C
hdd 2TB NVMe

someone who is good at hardware design please help. my computer is dying

macs use amd gpus. fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i wonder if repasting the macbooks helps at all

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

me: tim can you please make a laptop with a working keyboard that isn't for giants. tim, I'd like to purchase such a computer from you. tim
tim:
https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1253040450170228737

the new MacBook Air is calling your name

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Unfortunately I also require that the laptop be made for a pro, not made to be as though it was made of air. I understand these are a lot of requirements for tim to handle

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

me: tim can you please make a laptop with a working keyboard that isn't for giants. tim, I'd like to purchase such a computer from you. tim
tim:
https://twitter.com/MarketWatch/status/1253040450170228737

im literally a 4 year old encephalaemia

what do buy backs do

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

im literally a 4 year old encephalaemia

what do buy backs do

It's just another way of giving money to shareholders like dividends. There are some tax advantages/differences but imo people are kind of missing the point when they get upset about them (wealthy people having all the money is the problem, not the minor differences between the technical ways they move it around)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its a more emotional dividend op

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's a way for old tim b. apple and crew to goose the stock price and cash out some. This is the best use for 100 billion for the company that struggles to make working keyboards during the onset of the mega depression

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
making a different laptop would be exactly as useful as a stock buy back

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

buybacks are also a way to pay for the stock grants you're flowing to your key employees that is somehow vastly less objectionable to investors than raising their salary/bonus by the same amount instead

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

It's a way for old tim b. apple and crew to goose the stock price and cash out some. This is the best use for 100 billion for the company that struggles to make working keyboards during the onset of the mega depression

the keyboards seem to work p good for making 100 billion dollars. im not sure what else you’re gonna expect from a publicly traded company

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok remember I said I was 4

so.. stocks exist.. and apple buys their own stocks.. does that take them out or circulation? is it an attempt to “undo” going public? at least to some extent?

if a company didn’t need money while staying private be beneficial?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

forget it, it's money town

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat it.

it’s like knowing that 66 levels of mormons exist but you’re not even allowed to know that in level 1 they’re undies are dyed brown so you can’t see poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

echinopsis posted:

so.. stocks exist.. and apple buys their own stocks.. does that take them out or circulation? is it an attempt to “undo” going public? at least to some extent?

yeah, pretty much. for a company equally owned by three people the company buying one persons share means the remaining two people now own half each. but the company they own has of course spent some money in the process.

in this instance apple grabs shares being sold anyway, but it amounts to getting rid of some cash to grow the share of the company the remaining owners have.

there's a lot of rules around being publicly traded, but really it is just a matter of enabling companies having a lot of owners without having to have vast organization between them.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

its really a matter of pump and dump for the executives

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

if a company didn’t need money while staying private be beneficial?

It’s a way to attempt to increase the value of a stock by just simply reducing the supply and executives love it because it’s easy

It’s also another reason to hang them all because it basically produces no new economic activity and purely benefits shareholders magical number go up

It’s why you should never let companies have tax jubilees because it’s entirely likely that they’ll do that instead of any kind of capital investments

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
when a company issues stock, it dilutes the shares and the stock price will drop. when they buy back stock, it reduces shares and the price goes up. many executives receive bonuses based upon stock price.

it isn’t paid as a dividend because that actually causes stock prices to drop after it is paid.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

It’s also another reason to hang them all because it basically produces no new economic activity and purely benefits shareholders magical number go up

nah, it is actually kind of good from this perspective, as it removes one level of fake numbers from the world. i.e. the fake idea of a huge pile of imaginary generic value ("money") owned through a bunch of shares goes away, making the shares an ever so slightly less fake idea of owning a bit of a business which, presumably, does some things (gets iphones built and sold).

cash should really only exist in a transitory state. if at all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bloomberg confirms it: mac on arm rumours refuse to die

i love when an ostensibly reputable business news outlet starts quoting "people familiar with the matter"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

infernal machines posted:

ostensibly reputable

did they ever follow up or reflect on that "big hack" story?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nope.

they did submit it for award consideration though. surprisingly, in the year and a half since it was published no evidence of this massive vendor wide supply chain attack has surfaced. anywhere.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gruber is still so salty about it besmirching the good name of his favorite company that any time he posts a bloomberg link the post is followed the a page-high asterisk about that article. of course at no point does he just...stop linking to bloomberg.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this Bloomberg article is the first arm mac rumor I actually believe.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i still believe the big hack story. everything plays out the same way if it's true than if it's false. no way do apple and amazon say 'oh yeah china totally pwned us' when they have no way to break free from their dependence on chinese manufacturing. even more hilarious would be if it was a us operation and the public responses were just the result of national security letters. it's not like the nsa haven't pulled that exact thing before

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was always possible, but i think something that scale staying secret with the exception of a single report by bloomberg corroborated by no one, with no further evidence or leaks from insiders, is unlikely.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 23, 2020

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nah, it is actually kind of good from this perspective, as it removes one level of fake numbers from the world. i.e. the fake idea of a huge pile of imaginary generic value ("money") owned through a bunch of shares goes away, making the shares an ever so slightly less fake idea of owning a bit of a business which, presumably, does some things (gets iphones built and sold).

cash should really only exist in a transitory state. if at all.

you’re right, using that pile of money for this possible one degree of separation from useful economic activity is totally better then using it for actual economic activity like developing and building another product or something

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lots of bad postings about share buybacks. many people don’t understand them. the reason a company exists is to make money for its owners. when it’s a private company that’s obvious, the owner keeps the profits.

when it’s a public company things are more complicated. in general there are two mechanisms for giving profits to owners. the first is dividends, the second is stock buybacks. stock buybacks are indirect methods of giving owners money. the company purchases shares on the open market at market prices and retires them. this means there are fewer shares out there, making each one more valuable. while the share price goes up, the total value of the company should remain the same. the value of the company as a whole is not pumped up.

management likes buybacks for several reasons. one, if they think the stock is undervalued, they can purchase it then and gain a disproportionate advantage versus the price paid. two, buybacks help owners of options (typically employees compensated with stock), who wouldn’t see payments from dividends on invested shares. three, it increases management’s ownership share in the company. in a company like Apple the third one doesn’t matter as there are far too many shares for anyone to hold a controlling stake.

Apple has two hundred billion dollars in the bank, and that’s after spending hundreds of billions on buyback. they’re not doing them because they are out of ideas of how to use it, they literally have way more money than they need for anything they want to do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
my statement about them pumping the price was about management's incentives to pump the price because of the way bonuses are structured. there is a larger bump in the stock price when a buyback is announced than would be caused just by the retirement of outstanding stock alone. likewise, there is an extended negative effect on stock price that is more than the amount of dilution when a company issues stock.

juicing stock price to get themselves more money is the primary reason management wants to do buybacks in any firm. also, apple isn't at all an egregious offender. they have, as you have said, more money than they know what to do with. the proper way to pay that to investors is through dividends.

airlines are the best example right now of a bad time to do buybacks. they did them entirely to pump stock prices.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

you’re right, using that pile of money for this possible one degree of separation from useful economic activity is totally better then using it for actual economic activity like developing and building another product or something

it is vastly superior that the money disappears into stock value than that it is used to film another incredibly mediocre apple tv show, used to try to invent another self-driving car, or design more expensive wheels for that mac pro. invoking private stimulation of "economic activity" as a general good no matter what is actually done is austrian nonsense.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the root flaw of capitalism isn't that there's money and stocks and shareholders and the like it's that the needs of these investors are more important than the needs of the company's employees, customers, the well being of the community, country, planet, etc.

capital wins by default and any time it doesn't is a hard fought exception

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the root flaw of apple is that it's run by an accounting/operations nerd and all the executives ahve been so successful in the past nobody can challenge their position even though most of them are slipping and spending their own brand equity they spent decades building by releasing half baked products on a strict schedule

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

qirex posted:

the root flaw of apple is that it's run by an accounting/operations nerd and all the executives ahve been so successful in the past nobody can challenge their position even though most of them are slipping and spending their own brand equity they spent decades building by releasing half baked products on a strict schedule

:hmmyes:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is vastly superior that the money disappears into stock value than that it is used to film another incredibly mediocre apple tv show, used to try to invent another self-driving car, or design more expensive wheels for that mac pro. invoking private stimulation of "economic activity" as a general good no matter what is actually done is austrian nonsense.
i was about to say - the last time apple spent money on things other than goosing the stock price, it bought $3bn worth of tv shows that nobody watched

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol all these posters falling on their knees for making owners richer vs Anything Else

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
anyway arm macs. shut up and take my money timb.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the problem is that apple has no effective competition. partly this is due to laws designed to stifle competition, and partly it's that apple is really good at using those laws. aside from obscene profit with nowhere to go, products go to poo poo because quality isn't why people are buying them! it doesn't really matter what apple produces. the next phone just has to be slightly better than the competition, switching costs included. make switching costs high enough and you can ship dogshit that sells like hotcakes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

apples competition is all of their 2015 products

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

anyway arm macs. shut up and take my money timb.

we know that techbloggers, if no one else, absolutely want their ipad to be a macbook, so why not give it to them?