Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Picked up the game after about 6 years away from it. Was really enjoying it until I got into hardmode again. The spread of corruption plus the jacked up damage is just too stressful for me. :negative: Is there a mod that would, like. Just plop in a nice hallow worldsection when I beat the Wall? I can take the hosed up damage increase, it's just a bummer to try and fight back when I know it's on a timer and the altar destruction can add little dots of corruption I'll never find in time. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Bogart posted:

Picked up the game after about 6 years away from it. Was really enjoying it until I got into hardmode again. The spread of corruption plus the jacked up damage is just too stressful for me. :negative: Is there a mod that would, like. Just plop in a nice hallow worldsection when I beat the Wall? I can take the hosed up damage increase, it's just a bummer to try and fight back when I know it's on a timer and the altar destruction can add little dots of corruption I'll never find in time. :saddowns:

Relax and embrace the chaos :getin:

In all seriousness, I'm a bit OCD like that and also hated the idea of my nice idyllic little world I'd spent all those hours in pre-Hardmode getting overrun by gross Crimson. My recommendations:
  • If you really want to minimise the spread, farm a crapload of iron/gold crates from the Angler quests pre-Hardmore and open them all as soon as you start Hardmore. You may get enough ore/bars that you don't need to smash any of the altars, and just move on to Chlorophyte or whatever it is that's next when ready. IIRC this is what I did in my main world - find a good podcast/audiobook and don't forget to stockpile like 5 of each biome specific quest fish in chests to save you time later. Note you still get some Crimson/Corruption automatically after killing WoF but it's going to be less without the additional altar spawn.
  • This was beyond my threshhold of what I consider "fair play" (nevermind how I beat Moon Lord the first time..., but as an alternative to farming Angler quests for crates, you could just start a new world where you go hog wild smashing altars and use that one for mining, leave them all unsmashed on your original world.

Otherwise...
  • Only break three altars (one set). They add progressively fewer of the hardmode ores the more you smash, but the same amount of outbreaks.
  • Dig a 6 block wide trench on either side of your base - can make dual hellevators or join them horizontally (also make this 6 blocks in height) if you don't want to go all the way down. The corruption/crimson can't "jump" a gap this wide. If you do get an outbreak inside your quarantine zone, you just gotta seek and destroy.
  • Consider a 6 block wide trench around both sides of existing Crimson or Corruption biome (I think it starts spreading from there too?)
  • Play on as normal and save for the Clentaminator, which makes managing biome spread very manageable (as long as you have money).

Basically it gets better the further you get into Hardmode - the nasties in the Corruption/Crimson become no more annoying than the generic mobs elsewhere, you can often just fly over it if you want, and with the Clentaminator and faster mining tools it becomes much more easy to manage.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Bogart posted:

There's a mod called Begone, Evil that will stop the spread: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/begone-evil-disable-corruption-spread.72285/ If you use that, you'd be able to use the clentaminator to clear out any areas you wanted to be pure and have the rest stay in place.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

And the easiest way to make hellevators of a decent size is dynamite. It won't even take all that long.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

these days I make hellevators by opening cheat sheet and spawning a "instantly make a hellevator" item added by one of the mods i'm using

Also unless it's actually threatening your base (tip: build it right in the middle of the world where you initially spawned) corruption spreading isn't actually a problem, because you're going to want materials that only drop in the new "corrupted whatever" biomes.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

biome spreading is just an excuse to make a baller obsidian sky fortress

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Zereth posted:

(tip: build it right in the middle of the world where you initially spawned)

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I usually just hose down the area with clentaminator whenever i feel like its getting to close myself, and i think there's a mod that lets you do that for a few screens with a bottle and some solution.

Edit: ah it's fargos mutant mod, I recommend it for a lot of QoL stuff.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 22, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I believe it used to spread faster, but these days if you just build in the middle of the world, away from where the stripes of hallow and corruption happen, you've got plenty of time to go spelunking, work your way up through the new tiers of altar ore, make some gear, build some holy arrows or something with a lot of piercing, and fight the Destroyer and now that you've beaten a mechanical boss the spread rate goes way down.

If you're really worried about it overtaking your base, you can buy some hallow seeds form the dryad and plant them around your base, which should prevent the corruption from overtaking it and rendering it non-suitable housing.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Once you kill Plantera, the spread slows down a lot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, it slows down when you kill a mechanical boss, then slows down even more when you kill Plantera. Once you kill Plantera it barely spreads at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I believe it used to spread faster, but these days if you just build in the middle of the world, away from where the stripes of hallow and corruption happen, you've got plenty of time to go spelunking, work your way up through the new tiers of altar ore, make some gear, build some holy arrows or something with a lot of piercing, and fight the Destroyer and now that you've beaten a mechanical boss the spread rate goes way down.

If you're really worried about it overtaking your base, you can buy some hallow seeds form the dryad and plant them around your base, which should prevent the corruption from overtaking it and rendering it non-suitable housing.

Yeah, on my 1.3 expert run I got stuck forever on the mechanical bosses and got stuck again on Plantera but the spread still wasn't really very noticeable.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It bugs me if too much of the map is contaminated in hardmode. Last playthrough, I filled my inventory with sticky bombs and went on an epic mining spree to dig trenches around all the corruption and hallow.

It was pretty tense and challenging as it was my first time encountering Thorium and Spirit mod spawns in hardmode and I could see more and more of the world succumbing as time passed.

Thinking back, it would have been a lot easier (and much less fun) if I had killed Plantera first.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

At the very launch of hardmode I believe the flying surface corruption enemies' spit would corrupt blocks it hit, too, and they could follow you a very long way, which certainly didn't help.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Way back in 1.1 the spread was fairly quick in hardmode and once it got kinda close there was an enemy whose projectiles were basically the same as unholy water. 1.2 nerfed the spread quite hard and also made it so monsters no longer affect blocks

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The most memorable base me and my group ever built was entirely due to those "issues", which is amusing. We had a fairly typical village situation going on, which got quickly wrecked by clowns (back when they could break blocks) and the hallow eventually took it over, so we built a floating tower fortress above the ruins of our old village which was just rad as hell.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Building in the Hallow is fine, unlike the Crimson/Corruption it doesn't break housing and you even get some unique critters.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You won't get an enemies because the "lots of town NPCs around turns off spawns" effects still works, too.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I built a ton of hellevators separating every biome, too. I just didn't think about the big V of corruption and hallowing. :negative:

Also, losing buffs on death is The Worst.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Infinity Gaia posted:

The most memorable base me and my group ever built was entirely due to those "issues", which is amusing. We had a fairly typical village situation going on, which got quickly wrecked by clowns (back when they could break blocks) and the hallow eventually took it over, so we built a floating tower fortress above the ruins of our old village which was just rad as hell.

This is word for word my most memorable base as well. I was even too lazy to move everything in my chests to my floating fortress, so I occasionally had to go down into the bombed, hallowed, vine-covered ruins of my old base to get some random item or another.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m currently paying for a server slot on Nodecraft that I’m not using now winter’s over. I was gonna shut it off, but with the new release not far away, I’m thinking maybe I’ll hop back on there, anyone interested in a goon server?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Infinity Gaia posted:

Why abandon your village? Hallow doesn't drive out npcs like corruption does.

Honestly, deliberately planting Hallow on either side of my town is how I protect it from spreading corruption.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

One time my friend and I killed the WoF only for its corruption beam to hit our homebase head-on, so we started off hardmode with having to launch an evacuation effort and building up a new home, as the old one was 100% invalid housing

Added some fun drama, even if it was kind of a huge pain

New Base never really stopped being a huge floating box...

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
My group's base building strats changed dramatically once we realized the Wormhold Mirror from Thorium allowed you to teleport to npcs. Now we're planning on making smaller themed npc clusters and not running a thousand platinum worth of teleport lines everywhere (only 900 plat now probably). Magic Storage also helps so much with not having to build one giant box over and over again.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

SirSamVimes posted:

Honestly, deliberately planting Hallow on either side of my town is how I protect it from spreading corruption.

For me it wasn't the hallow (which crept in later) it was clown damage. Having to repair walls and tiles every blood moon was a pain.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Zereth posted:

which should prevent the corruption from overtaking it and rendering it non-suitable housing.

ooooooh so that's why everyone always seemed concerned about biome spread.

Anyway I can't remember the last time I had the impulse to build houses on the ground. It's just so easy to tower up with wood plaforms a tiny bit at the start of building, and now you have a giant flat surface that you don't need to terraform the ground pits and bumps flat for. All the better for being too high up for mobs to jump in during invasion events.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SirSamVimes posted:

Like Nighthand said, it was mostly the clown damage. The Hallow just sorta came in later, but it did make things look a lot more dramatic.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Like Nighthand said, it was mostly the clown damage. The Hallow just sorta came in later, but it did make things look a lot more dramatic.

After my first clown encounter all my buildings are built in the air. It also stopped corruption, but that turned out to be a non-issue while the clowns were real.

Later I just started to use the start-with-base mod for a pre-built (if fugly) jail for my NPCs.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I want to make sure everyone reading knows that clowns no longer damage blocks, in case that's why you don't want to play the game again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The hard part of base building is the first couple nights. You just don't have enough NPCs to stop the undead from spawning and have to waste your time waiting until morning.

Once you get over that hump you can go spelunking at night without too much interruption.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I usually build a giant tower of pedguin's ecohouse floating off the ground with a rope to get in and call it a day til I feel like getting fancy. Sometimes eyes get in on the first night but it doubles as a massive platform arena with npc fire support.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ThaumPenguin posted:

One time my friend and I killed the WoF only for its corruption beam to hit our homebase head-on, so we started off hardmode with having to launch an evacuation effort and building up a new home, as the old one was 100% invalid housing

Added some fun drama, even if it was kind of a huge pain

New Base never really stopped being a huge floating box...
Another reason to build your home base in the middle of the world, the corruption beam will never hit it there.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018
I really like the control scheme on ps4, where i could use a button to "tab targets" and my character would flip sides when i moved him left or right vs how he stays side locked on PC and the mouse determines which side he is facing. Did they ever get around to making something similar to this on pc, so i could play with a controller? I can already play with Xpadder but without the monster lock and direction switch its just not cutting it

bij
Feb 24, 2007

They ended up choosing 5 submissions for the Vanity Contest.

The flower spacesuit is adorable.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Potential BFF posted:

They ended up choosing 5 submissions for the Vanity Contest.

The flower spacesuit is adorable.

The Flower and Ronin are cool, I found the others a bit samey (snake legs aside)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

That sure is an interesting design, a samurai, and three different "skull for a head" designs. Meh.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I voted for the flower, the fish in a bowl head, and the TV head myself.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I don't know if this has been posted here yet BUUUUTT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEQrTnWTz8

item dupe exploit.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

SugarAddict posted:

I don't know if this has been posted here yet BUUUUTT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmEQrTnWTz8

item dupe exploit.

Just from the preview it looks like the standard item frame dupe. Which has been know for a while and used in speed runs.

Other exploits, slime mount on target dummies for invincibility (doesn’t work against calamity mod bosses if you use that mod). You can also use a trick to cast multiple fishing lines, but I don’t remember it off the top of my head because fishing.

Though I did instantly know that it was the new Spiffing Brit video just from the timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

i just install the cheat sheet mod if I wan to dupe items