Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ChocNitty posted:

How is information transmitted in evolution? Information like, humans dont need wisdom teeth anymore because we don’t eat raw, tough foods that utilize wisdom teeth. Information like plants starting to bear fruit so animals will eat it and distribute the seeds.

It's not. The animals that are more successful at breeding will breed more. That's it.

Each individual is born with some combination of their parents' traits and whatever random mutations have occurred. If that combination of traits leads to them having offspring then some of those traits will be passed down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I mean genetic information is a type of information, it's transmitted by a haploid sample of your DNA being mixed with a haploid sample of someone else's. The stuff with a positive or neutral effect on your ability to produce offspring perpetuates, and the stuff with a negative effect usually disappears eventually.

Classon Ave. Robot fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 22, 2020

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ChocNitty posted:

Information like, humans dont need wisdom teeth anymore because we don’t eat raw, tough foods that utilize wisdom teeth.

You picked a pretty weird example since we do, in fact, have wisdom teeth

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ras Het posted:

I think they were wondering how evolution will at some point realise we don't need them and stop us having them. To which the answer is it won't as long as people with wisdom teeth keep having kids instead of letting superior non-wisdom-teeth mutants be the only kid-havers!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ras Het posted:

A significant fraction of adults do not.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

A significant fraction of adults do not.

Significant? I'm under the impression that it's a very very small number of people who don't have them at all, almost everyone has at least a couple, even if they get removed or never come in.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lawnie posted:

Is there a thread for home office furniture? I need a new desk, and I know I really should invest in something convertible, but I'm having a hard time justifying the expense on even the lowest-tier adjustable desks available.

Thread here has had discussion on that in the past.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Significant? I'm under the impression that it's a very very small number of people who don't have them at all, almost everyone has at least a couple, even if they get removed or never come in.

It varies widely with ancestry, but if I may cherry‐pick one of the places with the highest rates…

quote:

9.5% of the males and 12.0% of the females had no third molars at all

Here’s how wide that variation is across the world:

from “The Evolution of Third Molar Agenesis and Impaction”

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Huh, that's interesting.

I dunno if it's been long enough evolutionary to use that to say anything, but it kinda goes to show that a neutral mutation like lack of wisdom teeth neither perpetuates through the population nor does it dies out.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I am currently reading the Silmarillion. Are any of the other Tolkien books worth reading? I was eyeing doing the histories next but after looking at their contents I am not so sure it's worth actually doing. Any comments on them or any of the other texts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Read another author.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

nesbit37 posted:

I've read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I am currently reading the Silmarillion. Are any of the other Tolkien books worth reading? I was eyeing doing the histories next but after looking at their contents I am not so sure it's worth actually doing. Any comments on them or any of the other texts?

Finish the Silmarillion, then decide if you want more/behind the scenes stuff.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jjack229 posted:

I sometimes see Amazon FAQ answers that are "I don't know" and I always thought it was odd that someone would go out of their way to post that. Then someone pointed out the Amazon probably sends out automated emails with a FAQ for to people who had purchased that product. It then made more sense to me that people were responding "I don't know" to Amazon and not to the person asking the question.

They do send out those emails, I've gotten them a few times.

They're very confusing for people who are not hip with computers or know how reviews work because the body of the email is something like this:

quote:

Mary has a question about an item you just bought, can you help them out?

"Does this have dual-band wifi support?"

Click here to answer this question!

If you're not a very savvy user, or just like helping people, you would think that the reviewer is trying to contact you, directly, for the answer so you would inclined to try and help them out or at least let them know that you don't know the answer.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
is there anything OTC to treat arthritis pain that's not anti-inflammatory?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
CBD

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

FCKGW posted:

They do send out those emails, I've gotten them a few times.

They're very confusing for people who are not hipe with computers or know how reviews work because the body of the email is something like this:

If you're not a very savvy user, or just like helping people, you would think that the reviewer is trying to contact you, directly, for the answer so you would inclined to try and help them out or at least let them know that you don't know the answer.

Thanks, for confirming my theory. I have never received one of those e-mails, and didn't realize they were written to feel as personal and targeted.

jjack229 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 23, 2020

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

NotNut posted:

is there anything OTC to treat arthritis pain that's not anti-inflammatory?
Tylenol.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I'm in the US and have a US netflix account, and I want to watch something that's only available on the 'international' version of Netflix. Anyone have any advice on ways to watch the show without resorting to full on :filez: ? Would a VPN work, or changing the billable address?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Tenik posted:

Would a VPN work

Yes that's what a lot of people do. However people have gotten banned from Netflix for doing this, so be warned.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Anyone know where to buy some a hair clipper set? I’ve tried in-store at Walmart and Target, and online at Amazon, but everything is sold out. I’m in the U.S.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

My favorite subspecies of this type are the ones who do it in the Q&A section of an Amazon listing.

:j: "Is this item compatible with the DDG-62?"
:downs: "No idea, sorry"

Aren't the ones on Amazon answered by the seller? I'd rather have him just give that answer honestly

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

My favorite subspecies of this type are the ones who do it in the Q&A section of an Amazon listing.

:j: "Is this item compatible with the DDG-62?"
:downs: "No idea, sorry"

I think this happens cause if someone buys a product and later on someone asks a question on it, amazon will email the person who purchased it to answer the question for whatever reason.

Lord Garmadon
Jul 17, 2018
What is the deal with popcorn? Like, why does it happen? Nothing else turns into popcorn, I mean, or does it? I like roasted almonds and sunflower seeds.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Lord Garmadon posted:

What is the deal with popcorn? Like, why does it happen? Nothing else turns into popcorn, I mean, or does it? I like roasted almonds and sunflower seeds.

Rice does (in rice krispies or genmaicha), as can most other grains - they just tend to be mostly used in cereals or health foods.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Rice does (in rice krispies or genmaicha), as can most other grains - they just tend to be mostly used in cereals or health foods.

Popcorn is perfectly healthy until you drench it in butter and salt

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Anyone know where to buy some a hair clipper set? I’ve tried in-store at Walmart and Target, and online at Amazon, but everything is sold out. I’m in the U.S.

BarberSupply.com, or on eBay.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And remember to disinfect any second-hand packages you get delivered from ebay. Or wait 72 hours. I mean you really should for anything you receive but second-hand stuff is worth being more paranoid about in the age of covid19.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve received solid metal objects that reeked of cigarette smoke, which is kind of impressive.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Platystemon posted:

I’ve received solid metal objects that reeked of cigarette smoke, which is kind of impressive.

I bought a new watch direct from the Ukrainian factory which smelt of cigarette smoke. Which I felt was appropriate.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Lord Garmadon posted:

You need a combination of an interior with a certain amount of water in it, and a shell that’s strong enough to keep the water contained as it turns to steam, but that’ll still give way at some point.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I need some packaging material for ebay auctions.

Think a loose video card or beer bottle in terms of the size of things to protect inside a larger cardboard box

I was thinking of getting a straight-cut paper shredder and using that as filler: anyone got experience of that?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Shut up Meg posted:

I need some packaging material for ebay auctions.

Think a loose video card or beer bottle in terms of the size of things to protect inside a larger cardboard box

I was thinking of getting a straight-cut paper shredder and using that as filler: anyone got experience of that?

It works, but it was annoying to receive because of how messy it is. If you are going to do a lot of shipping and you don't already have a shredder, go for it. I also would recommend not using newspaper as the inks tend to run or bleed

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I want a thing and can't buy it. Why in the world don't companies respond to huge demand for their product by selling more of that product? Like if I owned a business that sold X (where X is not a physically scarce resource) and the entire world were beating down my door to throw money at me, why wouldn't I call up shenzen and tell them to make more of X instead of just saying "lol I guess it's gone forever enjoy trawling ebay for the next year to get one from a scalper"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Manager Hoyden posted:

I want a thing and can't buy it. Why in the world don't companies respond to huge demand for their product by selling more of that product? Like if I owned a business that sold X (where X is not a physically scarce resource) and the entire world were beating down my door to throw money at me, why wouldn't I call up shenzen and tell them to make more of X instead of just saying "lol I guess it's gone forever enjoy trawling ebay for the next year to get one from a scalper"

Could be that forcing people to make the product to meet your demand will spread a deadly, highly contagious disease. Hypothetically. Not sure if this has ever happened.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

CzarChasm posted:

It works, but it was annoying to receive because of how messy it is. If you are going to do a lot of shipping and you don't already have a shredder, go for it. I also would recommend not using newspaper as the inks tend to run or bleed
Thanks.

I have a crosscut that I use to shred by personal docs, but it is far too messy to be used as packaging material. Of course, now I think about it, I don't have a lot of paper to shred if I were to get one.....

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are you trying to buy people?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Manager Hoyden posted:

You don't have to say what it is, but depending on the product there can be a myriad of reasons.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Manager Hoyden posted:

Extra factories are big, expensive, and take a long time to bring online. By the time you’re ready to start making more stuff, the temporary demand could be gone forever.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
There can also be long term benefits to limiting production of certain products, where it creates prestige for the brand and hype for upcoming releases and the feeling that you have to run and buy it now while you still have the chance.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

China, the entire world production center, effectively shut down for 2 months and is just now slowly ramping production back up.

Is this a serious question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is also impossible to answer in a generic sense without knowing at least a little bit about what the thing is. If it’s some “collectible” poo poo like a funko pop or anime statue and you don’t already know the answer then there’s no hope of explaining it to you. If it’s, like, RAM or something, see the answer about China.

Also there’s the very real possibility that there just aren’t that many people beating down the door to buy whatever it is, but you’ve found an effective enough echo chamber that you’ve convinced yourself that you and the ten other nutjobs on that niche forum or subreddit or whatever are somehow representative of anything.

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 26, 2020