Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone have a red velvet cupcake recipe they swear by? I want to practice buttercream frosting decorating, figure I should learn a new cupcake in the process.

https://www.livewellbakeoften.com/red-velvet-cupcakes/

This is a decent recipe I like to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Hey cookie thread, I'm looking at a shortbread recipe that calls for just egg yolks versus the whole egg. What difference would this make in the cookie?
Crumblier texture?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Shortbread is only supposed to have butter/sugar/flour, no eggs at all

edit: but here's a write up about what happens - https://www.leaf.tv/articles/why-add-egg-yolks-to-shortbread-cookies/

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 15, 2019

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hi. I'm doing some Christmas baking, and am going to do a mini effor post digression into Central/Eastern European baking etymology that may or may not have any good answers.

What the gently caress do you call cookies that look like this? Cream cheese dough, jam (or nut) filling, powdered sugar on top.

I'm a Canadian, who grew up with a Hungarian grandma and kinda Hungarian (born in Canada but didn't speak english till she went to Elementary school) mom. They force fed me Hungarian food as a child so I learned to highly value it, but I never learned to speak the language and was never great at remembering the names of food. I've since confirmed that we called these kifli.

However, Hungarian kifli can also be rolled instead of folded (these ones seem to have nut fillings more commonly and are shaped similar to rugelach)

Kifli can also refer to a type of crescent shaped bread roll - Wikipedia independently says this is the most common thing referred to by the name, but I never heard of this from any of my relatives. This might have just been because my relatives make a hell of a lot more cookies than bread, though.

It can also refer to a small crescent cookie covered in powdered sugar.

Meanwhile, the original cookie at the top seems to be most commonly referred to as kolach/kolachky/kolachee in Czech/Slovakia/Poland/....and in the midwest where they're also popular apparently. This seems to refer to just cookies with jam fillings and cream cheese dough, no matter the shape.

I've never seen this shape of them in Hungarian baking, but also I'm a pretty fake Hungarian so it's possible that it's a thing that I just don't know about.

To make things more confusing, there's the Hungarian "kalacs" which is pronounced very close to the above "kolach" and I assume comes from the same root word, but refers to an entirely different kind of braided sweet bread.

But wait: nothing's ever quite that easy, because Hungarian "kalacs" can also be a sweet rolled bread with a filling like a poppyseed or walnut paste, in which case it usually includes the filling in the name (makos kalacs, dios kalacs).

There's even kurtoskalacs, aka a chimney cake, which is a common Romanian/Hungarian street food that apart from the name and being a sweet dough doesn't have much in common with the previous two kalacs -- it's dough is lighter and it's roasted on a spit instead of baked in an oven.

So, basically where I'm at with this is:

1) Though I called these cookies kifli, there are many other Hungarian baked goods called kifli.

2) In other places, these same cookies are called kolach.

3) In Hungary, kolach transliterates to kalacs, but this refers to another entirely different wide variety of baked goods.

I'd imagine if I dug into what these words meant in Poland/Slovakia/Czech/wherever, I'd find a whole bunch more cookies and breads that may or may not resemble these at all.

Basically, I'm just kinda amazed at this level of linguistic confusion between countries that are right next to each other, and also that the words "kifli" and "kalacs" can mean so many different things even within the same language.

Anyways, gently caress it. I'm gonna go make the stuff in the top picture, whatever you want to call it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Looks tasty

The Hungarian "kalacs" remind me of Rugulach or babka.

I love both of those, so i bet the kalac would be stellar

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
What's a good substitute for sugar in a recipe? I wanna bake some cookies as a christmas gift for me grandma and she wont eat em unless I dont use sugar or honey or whatever else someone with diabetes would object to. Can I use stevia or some other kind of sugar alternative?

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Macksy posted:

What's a good substitute for sugar in a recipe? I wanna bake some cookies as a christmas gift for me grandma and she wont eat em unless I dont use sugar or honey or whatever else someone with diabetes would object to. Can I use stevia or some other kind of sugar alternative?

Why not make some savory shortbreads? I think you'd be more likely to end up with something tasty.

Substituting sugar in a recipe usually affects the structure as well as the taste. I don't have any experience with no-sugar sweets, but if I were going to do it, I'd look at recipes written for alternative sweeteners, or maybe no-bake cookies.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Splenda and erythritol sub in pretty easily into baked goods.

I made some cookies with them recently and they came out a bit more cake like, but that could also have been the flour blend I made that day.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Made some impromptu cookies with the wife this weekend, with the new stand mixer i got her for Christmas. "We-a not berry good at dis yet!"
But practice makes perfect.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Someone posted this recipe and now I hate them.

Great loving cookies imo, and it's a problem. I hope I lose this recipe. The recipe says to roll 1/4 cup cookies but it only landed me 2 dozen instead of 3. You can definitely go smaller on the cookie size. Also this can be an expensive recipe.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I made runebergs tarts. It's a traditional cake served around this time.

From an actual bakery:

I think they use real tins wereas I use silicone molds. Also a lot of different recipes, variations on the central theme of almonds. The original 1800s recipe is a pound of flour and butter, 1/4 pound each of sweet and bitter almonds, 2 egs, no sugar which all modern recipes seem to use.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They look lovely!

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

We had a cookie fest at work last week and I made the Black Pepper, Rosemary and Cornmeal cookies I saw mentioned in this thread and they are a fantastic butter shortbread plus fresh ground black pepper. Also made Broen Butter Ricotta cookies and of course some chocolate chip. I was using a new stand mixer, so the ricotta cookies weren't fully incorporated, something that was masked by all the ingredients being white. Some stood up too tall to really be "lacy" and some were spread out as big as saucers and stupidly lacy. I also somehow forgot the eggs and egg yolks in the chocolate chip, so they're still good (this is Tasty's "Perfect Chocolate Chip" recipe) but the texture is way off. Batting .333 but they were all tasty, and even the saucer-sized ones were excellent, I called them beautiful disasters.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
I really don't like how Splenda creams, or more accurately, doesn't cream for poo poo.

I'll play some more with straight erithritol and see how that goes.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Paging Sex Hobbit

There were some double chocolate chip cinnamon cookies you made a while back by the pretend baker . They taste amazing and I know they have cocoa powder in them, but that’s all I know for sure.

The website is down. You didn’t happen to save the recipe in paprika or something, did you?

https://www.thepretendbaker.com/double-chocolate-cinnamon-cookies/

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

nwin posted:

Paging Sex Hobbit

There were some double chocolate chip cinnamon cookies you made a while back by the pretend baker . They taste amazing and I know they have cocoa powder in them, but that’s all I know for sure.

The website is down. You didn’t happen to save the recipe in paprika or something, did you?

https://www.thepretendbaker.com/double-chocolate-cinnamon-cookies/

1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cane sugar
1 large egg, room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup AP flour
5 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp milk (I use heavy cream)
1 cup chocolate chips/chunks/whatever
2 tbsp cane sugar + 1/4 tsp cinnamon for rolling

1. In bowl of stand mixer w/ paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar, scraping bowl as necessary.
2. Add egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, again scraping the bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture slowly with paddle running on low, until just combined.
5. Add milk and mix until combined.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill 3 hours to 3 days.
8. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F.
9. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat
10. Roll cookies into 12-16 balls, roll in cinnamon/sugar mix, place on baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges have started to set.
11. The cookies will appear underdone but it's very important to not overbake. Allow cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet and they will continue to cook and set.
12. Eat warm and store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 7 days.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sex Hobbit posted:

1/2 cup soft butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cane sugar
1 large egg, room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup AP flour
5 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp milk (I use heavy cream)
1 cup chocolate chips/chunks/whatever
2 tbsp cane sugar + 1/4 tsp cinnamon for rolling

1. In bowl of stand mixer w/ paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar, scraping bowl as necessary.
2. Add egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy, again scraping the bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture slowly with paddle running on low, until just combined.
5. Add milk and mix until combined.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill 3 hours to 3 days.
8. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350F.
9. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat
10. Roll cookies into 12-16 balls, roll in cinnamon/sugar mix, place on baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges have started to set.
11. The cookies will appear underdone but it's very important to not overbake. Allow cookies to cool completely on the baking sheet and they will continue to cook and set.
12. Eat warm and store leftover cookies in an airtight container for up to 7 days.

YES!!!! Thank you!!!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m grabbing that for sure. I’ve traveled for work again, and continue to get stopped cause of my passion for bringing fresh cookies on my carry-on. Also, I’ve gotten real good at browned butter. Shout out Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie!

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Welp, my city's in lockdown! Time to make snickerdoodles!

I used the smitten kitchen recipe and got exactly 36 cookies out of it, which will keep us going for a while.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Picayune posted:

got exactly 36 cookies out of it, which will keep us going for a while.

A couple hours at least.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Made pink lemonade cookies but forgot I used all my pink food coloring. Tried a bit of purple and got lavender instead.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Makin some basic choco-chip and pecan cookies while waiting on my bread dough to rise. The plus side of being all quarantined is that I have ample time to bake now.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I guess I'm just going to stay home and keep baking. How terrible.

I found the King Arthur Flour recipe for almond flour brownies - incidentally gluten-free! - and I had some almond flour that needed using up, so I gave those a try. They're really good! They're properly gooey and have a nice almond-y undertaste, which suits them well. The batter was kinda grainy-looking, unsurprisingly, but I couldn't see or taste graininess at all once they were baked.

I'd definitely recommend letting them cool for longer than the recipe calls for, though. Maybe half an hour.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I will be making chocolate mint chip cookies momentarily and giving my 5-year-old her first baking lesson.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Results: it was COOkies

Daughter mostly helped with measuring and stirring. Cookies are excellent. Wife cannot abide chocolate so it's up to me and the kiddo to finish off all of these. :kiddo:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Whole wheat oatmeal cardamom blueberry.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

Results: it was COOkies

Daughter mostly helped with measuring and stirring. Cookies are excellent. Wife cannot abide chocolate so it's up to me and the kiddo to finish off all of these. :kiddo:

Sadly I do not live near you so I cannot help you finish off those cookies.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gonna revive this thread with "pot" brownies

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have a good recipe for palmiers? I can't seem to find one that's not just "buy puff pastry dough." Is it really that much of a hassle otherwise?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for palmiers? I can't seem to find one that's not just "buy puff pastry dough." Is it really that much of a hassle otherwise?

Watch a video of someone making puff pastry and see if you want to bother.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hello I just started baking bread a week ago and it inspired me to bake some more stuff so I made cookies for the first time. They turned out amazing, so much better than store bought that I'll probably freeze a bunch of dough to have whenever I want.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Copycat Berger's cookies for my Baltimore-raised husband. I need to make twice as much fudge next time to get the cookie/frosting ratio right.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

cocoavalley posted:

Copycat Berger's cookies for my Baltimore-raised husband. I need to make twice as much fudge next time to get the cookie/frosting ratio right.

Oh wow, that looks divine

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (with added peanut butter chips, because if you're going all out, might as well go all out).

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

cocoavalley posted:

I love Berger's, and seriously miss them. What recipe did you use? Outside of the ratio, this looks about right.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Whalley posted:

I love Berger's, and seriously miss them. What recipe did you use? Outside of the ratio, this looks about right.

The recipes I found online have fudge that is made with chocolate chips and doesn't taste like Berger's. So I ended up picking the recipe with the cookie we liked the best and using a never-fail fudge as the topping. I'm sure actual fudge would be better, but looking at the ingredients on a package of Berger's, I don't think they make real fudge either.

Anyway, here's my cobbled together recipe (may want to scale up the fudge 1.5 or 2x):

Makes 24

Cookie ingredients:
⅓ cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup sugar
1 large egg
1½ cups all purpose flour
⅓ cup milk

Fudge frosting ingredients:
4 cups confectioners' sugar
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons butter
¼ cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt

For the cookies:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cream butter and sugar, add egg and vanilla. Add baking powder to flour, then alternate the flour mixture and milk into the butter mixture. Use small cookie scoop (2 tbsp capacity) to dish out portions. Use a small spatula or spoon sprayed with non-stick to smooth and slightly flatten the dough. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely before adding fudge.

For the fudge:
Melt the butter, stir in the milk and vanilla. Sift the cocoa powder, salt, and sugar together into the butter mixture, stir until combined. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until the mixture is bubbly. Let it cool for 10 minutes or so, then stir constantly until it loses gloss and starts to set (it should stop flowing easily back into itself and be able to be scooped into a mound that is still soft, but won't run off the cookies).

Assembly:
Flip the cookies so the flat bottom is facing up. Use the 2 tbsp cookie scoop to put a generous glob of fudge on each, spreading if necessary. Let fudge cool until it is completely set, refrigerating if needed.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Funnel cakes, traditional to make them for may 1st, and Sima as well (sorta like small beer or ginger beer)

First time I've ever made funnel cakes myself, I make sima every year though.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone made the internet famous "The Cookie"? https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/salted-butter-and-chocolate-chunk-shortbread

How is it?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I made smitten kitchen's version a couple years ago. It was good. It's butter, chocolate, and sugar, it's hard for it not to taste good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
It's shortbread with chocolate chunks, that's what it tastes like.