Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Well, there's me biting my tongue. Not like I hadn't already preordered it. :v: 2 days remain

Bogart fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Your strategic game-over bar will now represent how loose of a cannon the Chief thinks you are

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

But what if you're also a drat good xcop?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Chronojam posted:

But what if you're also a drat good xcop?

That’s for the expac Chimera Vice where you hunt down illicit advent burgers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are they sending out review codes or nothing until after launch?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Mordja posted:

Are they sending out review codes or nothing until after launch?
Embargo lifts tomorrow, probably after the devs' stream.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

from the article seems like you can switch to permadeath in hardcore mode.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Eej posted:

It's hard to emote with glowing, iris-less eyes and if they're going for the approach of "the Aliens were enslaved and are people too just like us" it makes sense

Mutons were canonically on heroic amounts of combat drugs whenever they met XCOM. Maybe their original look was the alien equivalent of the crackhead stare.

What I want to know is where the hell “City 31” came from. ADVENT had nice naming schemes for their cities, so if we weren’t going to keep those we could at least choose something less sterile than a drat number.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm starting to wonder if ordering through their website was a mistake in terms of being able to preload or not.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Probably a Half Life 2 nod in some inscrutable way

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Is the game unlocking at midnight on steam?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So I have never preordered anything before as I usually find it to be a bad idea, but I bought it on Steam. Will the game preload automatically or do I have to make a setting change somewhere?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

There’s a button specifically for it on the game’s page in your library when it’s enabled.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is the game unlocking at midnight on steam?

Steam says 23 something hours, so midnight tomorrow?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Chairchucker posted:

I'm starting to wonder if ordering through their website was a mistake in terms of being able to preload or not.

Orders through Steam can't preload either.

I'm gradually growing in confidence that the timer that says it isn't going to unlock until like 20:00 PDT tomorrow isn't lying.

Semisomnum
Aug 22, 2006

Half Asleep

so uh what the gently caress is going on here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Midnight is a magical time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It'll come when it's ready, I'm sure.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cuntellectual posted:

Warning: This game is canon.
if you hadn't made the joke i would have

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Now for them to combine Disco Elysium and Chimera Squad to make the best game of all time.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Following the adventures of a drunken amnesiac muton that loves to disco.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'm all for interleved turns, especially if the player gets access to abilities that lets them manipulate it. As long as Firaxis avoids anything like a "speed" stat determining turn order this is cool. I'm less cool on fixed characters. A smattering of them that I can use or ignore? Sure. I understand what they want to do with more story elements but one of the biggest allures of the XCOMs, new and old and off-brand (xenonauts) is creating your own characters/inserting your friends. Also I'm still bitter about some of the custom characters they shoved into Enemy Within (Zhang, you just merced a sectoid with a 9mm. Why did you throw it away?)

That being said I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this game and hope XCOM 3/Apocalypse of the Deeps will have the old roster of "whatever you want" though.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Following the adventures of a drunken amnesiac muton that loves to disco.

Ngl, I would play the poo poo out of a game where you are a pectiod police officer who has become addicted to our lovely earth vices and you have to try to do police work while your psychic powers are having a field day over the unknowable effects of human drugs on your system.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, I just wanna say, as much as Grimy's Loot mod can really clutter up loot tables, my god but it can produce some fun toys.

My Sniper in my current run has been nicknamed "Death Touch" because of her Sniper Rifle that came out of an Ethereal Reliquary. It cannot Crit, and it only has one shot per clip, but in exchange for that, it deals 230% damage. As a Gauss Rifle, this weapon is currently dealing 19-25 damage in the hands of my Brigadier-rank LW2-classes Sharpshooter. (She took the Brig-rank talent that increases primary weapon damage by 4)

With Deadeye, this turns into 28-38 damage. She is my "delete" button, and thanks to Death From Above, as long as I can find her height elevation, after she deletes something, I can use the bonus action to reload for next turn!

Just for a bit of overkill, I replaced one of the dead slots (crit-enhancing mods on a weapon that can't crit) with a Repeater, and the other dead slot with an Autoloader. So far, she has Executed a Custodian, and a Berserker Omega.

Where it gets extra funny is that I have the "More Bondmate Benefits" mod that adds back some of the Bond benefits that got cut out, like Bondmate Return Fire. I've paired her with my Stormrider (the recent melee-only class by Iridar), which results in entertaining moments where my Stormrider will get shot, then the camera will zoom out just a little bit, but not quite enough, as a shot flies in from off-screen a mile away and erase the poor shmuck who dared to attack her best buddy. Extra funny because I always forget it's a thing, until it happens.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tellaris posted:

Ngl, I would play the poo poo out of a game where you are a pectiod police officer who has become addicted to our lovely earth vices and you have to try to do police work while your psychic powers are having a field day over the unknowable effects of human drugs on your system.

Your various powers argue with you like Disco Elysium skills.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Yeah Chimera for $10 was a no brainier for me: that's like a single coffee order for me. Even if it sucks I'll like it for another dose of XCOM. I'm also interested in how the character dynamics are gonna work. Like, my soldiers have always had little stories I've made in my head, but having them play out with voice work could be cool. I wouldn't say no to some light RPG elements either!

In other news I'm fully into my newest WotC playthrough. I set it on Commander cause it's been a little while, but so far (at the risk of jinxing myself) it's kinda....easy? I remember why I stopped playing my last playthrough though: it was the Chosen assault mission. All the adds overwhelmed me, I missed a few key shots, so I quit and stopped caring haha. I'm sure I'll get slapped down like that again sooner than later.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Hwurmp posted:

Your strategic game-over bar will now represent how loose of a cannon the Chief thinks you are

"Damnit Chimera Squad you went too far when you were breaking up that illegal Elerium trade ring!"
"I guess you had a pretty good view of it from the strategic layer, Chief."

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Did they say anything if the missions are procedurally generated or are all of the encounters hand crafted?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't talk to me about procedure I've got scumbags to bust :clint:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Samovar posted:

Now for them to combine Disco Elysium and Chimera Squad to make the best game of all time.

“Cuno gets a plasma rifle”.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Alkydere posted:

I'm less cool on fixed characters. A smattering of them that I can use or ignore? Sure. I understand what they want to do with more story elements but one of the biggest allures of the XCOMs, new and old and off-brand (xenonauts) is creating your own characters/inserting your friends. Also I'm still bitter about some of the custom characters they shoved into Enemy Within (Zhang, you just merced a sectoid with a 9mm. Why did you throw it away?)

Same. It's fine for a spinoff, but preset characters would ruin the franchise for me if it wound up in a mainline XCOM 3.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“Cuno gets a plasma rifle”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idoYCVLh2qI

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

beautiful :five:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

BlazetheInferno posted:

Where it gets extra funny is that I have the "More Bondmate Benefits" mod that adds back some of the Bond benefits that got cut out, like Bondmate Return Fire. I've paired her with my Stormrider (the recent melee-only class by Iridar), which results in entertaining moments where my Stormrider will get shot, then the camera will zoom out just a little bit, but not quite enough, as a shot flies in from off-screen a mile away and erase the poor shmuck who dared to attack her best buddy. Extra funny because I always forget it's a thing, until it happens.

The Avenging Angel.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Review embargo is up.

ChristopherOdd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkP4XmHASi0

RPS:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/04/23/xcom-chimera-squad-review/

Beaglerush is uploading his video right now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm not reading/watching those because I'm going to be patient and wait for the game to drop, but from a cursory look at the RPS article it sounds like yep, it's a 20$ game with some weird stuff to it, and not a perfect experience. I'm cool with that, and need the game to drop RIGHT NOW

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Fintilgin posted:

Same. It's fine for a spinoff, but preset characters would ruin the franchise for me if it wound up in a mainline XCOM 3.

It won't? I don't know why people think they are. It's following the same rules as the legacy pack from xcom 2 and that was received in a positive light as a light side thing to do.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not reading/watching those because I'm going to be patient and wait for the game to drop, but from a cursory look at the RPS article it sounds like yep, it's a 20$ game with some weird stuff to it, and not a perfect experience. I'm cool with that, and need the game to drop RIGHT NOW
I'm pretty happy to try a streamlined XCOM, especially since I've been stalling on starting my WotC game. Something to dip my toe back into the water for <£10 and try some new ideas is pretty much all I'm after. I thought it was out today and was very sad when I couldn't download it earlier.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
More reviews coming in, scores mostly ranging between 7s and 8s. Sounds like some changes work, some don't but for :10bux:...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Game seems tight, like XCOM: Into The Breach.

It's not where I want the series going overall, but it seems awesome.