Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
London young labour definitely had their weetabix this morning:

https://twitter.com/LDNYoungLabour/status/1253052854681710598

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Something about that Peston tweet has really, really hosed me off. Usually I manage just to cover myself in wry apathy at how stitched up society is, but the sheer loving gall of it... it's just bullying. Smug, self-congratulatory, bullying.

You won. You got your way. Why do you need to keep rubbing the salt in? It's not as if it's a slow news month.

Utter, utter, oval office.

Sorry, had to get it off my chest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's the sort of person who gets ahead in society, because we live in a society based on victimization and exploitation and the people at the top exist in spheres composed entirely of other people who do the same thing, which further reinforces and normalizes that behaviour.

And as with many abusive people they're quite capable of masking it with performative declarations of their own goodness and co-opting of the language of actually good people, but to them it's only ever a vehicle to further self glorification and power, which is why they'll drop it the minute it's inconvenient for them. See: response to joe biden being a sex pest from people who went ballistic over trump doing it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

StarkingBarfish posted:

London young labour definitely had their weetabix this morning:

https://twitter.com/LDNYoungLabour/status/1253052854681710598

Gone already. I saw one last night they did about Simon Danczuk, was this it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It was telling people to block danczuk on twitter if you're underage cos he's a creep, aye.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Perfect Element posted:

Something about that Peston tweet has really, really hosed me off. Usually I manage just to cover myself in wry apathy at how stitched up society is, but the sheer loving gall of it... it's just bullying. Smug, self-congratulatory, bullying.

You won. You got your way. Why do you need to keep rubbing the salt in? It's not as if it's a slow news month.

Utter, utter, oval office.

Sorry, had to get it off my chest.

When covid fully kicked off here the thing I noticed about Peston was how useless he was. He did nothing but repeat what he was told. Isn't he supposed to be an investigative journalist? He tried less than Kuenssberg.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Andrew Adonis's twitter feed just gets funnier and funnier, ngl

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1253243649523167232

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
This was the now deleted London young labour tweet:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Regarde Aduck posted:

When covid fully kicked off here the thing I noticed about Peston was how useless he was. He did nothing but repeat what he was told. Isn't he supposed to be an investigative journalist? He tried less than Kuenssberg.

Yeah, in general he seems thoroughly out of his depth - repeating things that are demonstrably false, stammering and stuttering and in general being quite incoherent. I know, to an extent, a certain awkwardness is kind of his 'thing', but he at least seemed vaguely intelligent before.

It was amusing when the govt started allowing follow-up questions during the briefing... because for a few days, until they had time to prepare them, it turned out that our nation's leading journalists were completely unable to come up with anything on the cuff, or properly challenge obfuscations and lies.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Regarde Aduck posted:

I only really became aware of him last election, but seeing him on the recent coronavirus briefings he has that mix of being utterly clueless yet absolutely confident.

The one strange trick to get ahead in life the middle class don't want you to know about.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Shocking how just last year, we could freely hold a parade about being english:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87feW1-a7N8
But if you tried that these days you'd be arrested and thrown in jail.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You could not make it up Stu

He's racist against the English, that's the worst kind of racist.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
English is a religion not a race so actually it's just anglophobia.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Guavanaut posted:

You could not make it up Stu

He's racist against the English, that's the worst kind of racist.

Is this real or parody? Is that question dumb? I really can't tell anymore.

Being perceived to be racist against the English, or rather not racist enough for them, was a big factor in what happened to Corbyn imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly I'm tired of this forced diversity being stuffed down everyone's throats, these politically correct identity politics weirdos would try to tell me that I have to be friends with the earl of bumfuck on avon just because we're both "english" even though he grew up in a weird culture where they do sex crimes all the time. And they don't even try to integrate, they all go to secret parties with other aristos in weird houses out in the country with funny shaped towers all over them, what are they hiding eh? That's what I want to know.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

English is a religion not a race so actually it's just anglophobia.

Zalakwe posted:

It's real that St George's Day parades and pub nights are banned due to the novel Coronavirus, which likely originated in China.

It's also real that Boris Johnson did Chinese New Year stuff instead of attending critical pandemic meetings. He also did engagement stuff and writing his book in the country stuff, not because he is anti-English, but because he is a lazy fucker and just wanted a nice easy life as PM.

But no, the meme is a dumb joke because the consent that Boris bad is not something that would take hold in the right wing until it's useful to do so.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Zalakwe posted:

Being perceived to be racist against the English, or rather not racist enough for them, was a big factor in what happened to Corbyn imo.

There were a few articles mentioning that he attended a Chinese new year event instead of going to an emergency meeting about the epidemic. It was presumably not the only thing unrelated to the epidemic he did at the time, but this is what they chose to mention.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's also true that we might have been able to have some small St. George's Day festivities if Whitehall had locked down right away and done aggressive testing and contact tracing.

I don't particularly care about that either way, but it's telling that the party of the common Englishman cared more about posh people hors dance going ahead than Palestinian dragon man day (or a few thousand deaths).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Starmer is poo poo

https://twitter.com/LabourList/status/1252955842736869377?s=19

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/marcusjdl/status/1253238983955546119?s=21

Lmao

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

It's also true that if you so much as say you were english (which I am)...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's more people stuck in his house with him than came to his stag do (feel sorry for them).

Of course he's taking fish tank cleaner.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The article headline is a touch misleading as the article states more

quote:

Asked about the proposal following the Labour leader’s first PMQs this afternoon, a spokesperson said: “We agree that the Covid crisis has confirmed that the current social security system isn’t fit for purpose.”

However, the spokesperson added: “Creating an entirely new social security system is unlikely to be possible during the crisis.”

Labour MPs supportive of UBI include former shadow Treasury team member Clive Lewis, who said: “Covid-19 has shone a spotlight on the frayed, tattered and neglected ‘safety net’ of welfare provision…

“Now, as we edge further into the challenges of the 21st century – where automation, climate collapse and pandemics are already upon us – it’s time build a solid floor under everyone. That’s something only a basic income can give.”

Jonathan Reynolds, recently appointed by Starmer as Labour’s new Shadow Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, is also known to be a supporter of UBI.

Bit of a laugh them saying that implementing UBI would be too complicated when even IDS said they could just flick some switch with Universal Credit and make it happen. Also the countries favourite period, World War 2, showed that you can make massive changes to pretty much any aspect of society.

If you just believe in yourself.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

his commitment to being the shittiest, stupidest person alive is almost endearing

if he wasn't also the shittiest, stupidest person alive

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
fwiw, that's from a parody article

if you ever need evidence that the "I'm such an awful, outrageous person, please very definitely forward my articles that enrage you so" shtick is intentional, here's the very definite effort to construct the persona: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/spectator-writers-in-lockdown-by-the-people-stuck-with-them

ronya fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 23, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As someone itt once said, being a oval office is performative.

If he's spending that much time and effort constructing an identity as an utterly unlikable poo poo then that's what he is.

Also he's in the Yiannopoulos 'ironic nonce' camp.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

justcola posted:

Bit of a laugh them saying that implementing UBI would be too complicated when even IDS said they could just flick some switch with Universal Credit and make it happen. Also the countries favourite period, World War 2, showed that you can make massive changes to pretty much any aspect of society.

I imagine there must be others in the thread, but I am on JSA and have not had to attend my JobCentre+ to sign on for 6 weeks? 8 weeks?

For ages.

Still getting my money every fortnight.

Perhaps there is just a DWP Monkey clicking a button every 2 weeks to ensure I get paid.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

ronya posted:

fwiw, that's from a parody article

if you ever need evidence that the "I'm such an awful, outrageous person, please very definitely forward my articles that enrage you so" shtick is intentional, here's the very definite effort to construct the persona: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/spectator-writers-in-lockdown-by-the-people-stuck-with-them

He has a memoir called "How To Lose Friends And Alienate People". It's a honed skill in which by turning the fact that people dislike you into something you actively chase, you can pass your own interpersonal failings off as successes. I suppose you can kid yourself that yes everyone hates you but only because you're trying to be hated? Which is entirely on brand for "I got here through my own hard work" boomer conservatism, it's worth periodically reminding people like him that in fact it was something he was born into.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Bah, don't give em air. You can read some bit of nonsense from Toby Young or Katie Hopkins or whoever, but it's just trolling for the kind of people who sign text messages. The stag party story is funny, as is Hopkins doing ketamine, but anything they're writing recently should go towards helping the toilet paper shortage.

Is there any sort of timeline for what's happening with coronavirus in the United States? I've been a bit busy with stuff happening here, but from what I can piece together from here and there it seems the whole country is quite fragile.

Dead Goon posted:

I imagine there must be others in the thread, but I am on JSA and have not had to attend my JobCentre+ to sign on for 6 weeks? 8 weeks?

For ages.

Still getting my money every fortnight.

Perhaps there is just a DWP Monkey clicking a button every 2 weeks to ensure I get paid.

Aye I got my payment through the other day

Cheers to all the organisations that didn't pay my invoices on time back in February. (I earned too much in one go, the famine or feast of self-employment)

Fingers crossed for June.

justcola fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 23, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

As someone itt once said, being a oval office is performative.

If he's spending that much time and effort constructing an identity as an utterly unlikable poo poo then that's what he is.

Also he's in the Yiannopoulos 'ironic nonce' camp.

I doubt there's anything ironic about Milo the Pedofilo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

Is there any sort of timeline for what's happening with coronavirus in the United States?
Armed protesters entered the Kentucky State Capitol, Trump called for insurrection against Virginia and Michigan, survivalists blocked a hospital because they wanted a haircut, the usual.
https://twitter.com/Joe_Gerth/status/1223278777045856257

https://twitter.com/HoosierMamaTags/status/1253097713408847872

Similar protests in PA.

Also :lol:
https://twitter.com/KhakiJorts/status/1252750713169510400

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

justcola posted:

Bah, don't give em air. You can read some bit of nonsense from Toby Young or Katie Hopkins or whoever, but it's just trolling for the kind of people who sign text messages. The stag party story is funny, as is Hopkins doing ketamine, but anything they're writing recently should go towards helping the toilet paper shortage.

Is there any sort of timeline for what's happening with coronavirus in the United States? I've been a bit busy with stuff happening here, but from what I can piece together from here and there it seems the whole country is quite fragile.

Aye I got my payment through the other day

Cheers to all the organisations that didn't pay my invoices on time back in February. (I earned too much in one go, the famine or feast of self-employment)

Fingers crossed for June.

America is going to poo poo, they have almost as many deaths per capita as us!
More mask wearing tho

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Joe biden is going to destroy you with his heart laser like a sex offending care bear.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

justcola posted:

They're top of the list in terms of overall deaths, but their confirmed deaths as a % of population is about half ours. Their statistics are a mess however, as they have 50 different state administrations testing at different rates to different criteria. There's definitely some political fudging of figures going on, so there are probably some states that are mostly coronavirus-free but experiencing an uptick in completely unrelated pneumonia deaths.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

What happened to put Belgium at the top of the list? More accurate and honest reporting, or have they actually been hit the hardest?

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 23, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol

https://twitter.com/PhilosophyTube/status/1253269817731186689?s=19

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

justcola posted:

the universal credit implementation does not work properly and cannot cope for the pre-crisis workload. this is well documented.
I think "even IDS” is lying if he says it’d be as simple as flicking a switch to hugely expand it in scope. talking bullshit he knows he’ll never have to follow up on for his own aggrandisement not out of any genuine interest in welfare reform.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It might work a bit better if they stopped the means testing.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

that’s the verdict not the sentence

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Labour about to be extremely antisemitic again

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1253257498649395200?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998