Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sadly this is a parody article.

e: here is a cat getting a haircut to make up for it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Necrothatcher posted:

Sadly this is a parody article.

https://twitter.com/jennylandreth/status/1253240848487153665?s=20

https://twitter.com/LeonardEctric1/status/1253241824099143681?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Who was it who said that they could never be a teacher because they'd 'shag all the children'?

Strong 'ironic' nonce vibes there too, but I'm thinking Liddle rather than Young.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I’m not overstating things when I say that the media and therefore public acceptance of austerity can, in large part, be attributed to thr Hon Robert Peston. His complete lack of understanding of macroeconomics, his career in financial and right-wing newspapers, and his excessive closeness to the finance industry combined with his incuriosity meant that the BBC never asked difficult questions to the Coalition.

I can only assume that he was allowed to move from finance journalism to economics because editors don’t know how huge the difference is, and because of who his Dad was.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Was out doing the necessary things and on my drive home got caught in traffic headed to the seafront complete with inflatables that were for whatever reason inflated while in the vehicle but I suppose when you have a landbarge why the gently caress not

Many others just out for a walk along the front and then failing at socially distant passing because the pavement is barely wide enough for two to walk abreast anyway. Go past the b&q and it's open for foot traffic again and the car park is loving full

Get good at surfing cause we gonna have so many waves we won't know what to do with them

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1253261695331565568?s=20

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
B&Q reopening is just the dumbest loving thing, it really is.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hey once you've got your DIY equipment and new decking then you can stay at home more!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah honestly that's probably a pretty low risk shop cos the space inside is massive and it's specifically for poo poo that keeps you at home.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I'm morbidly curious as to what the worst impact of opening B&Q up again is: More Coronavirus cases, or more 1st time DIYers putting a drill bit through their hands. After working in DIY stores for years, I wouldn't trust the majority of customers there with a screwdriver, let alone powertools.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah honestly that's probably a pretty low risk shop cos the space inside is massive and it's specifically for poo poo that keeps you at home.

Until the dumbshits injure themselves and trot off to A&E.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Is he dead?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not that I'm aware of but the past tense is a bit odd yes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nettle Soup posted:

Is he dead?
No, he's just resting (in the photo that tweet is about).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nettle Soup posted:

Is he dead?

dead excited to go to itchy and scratchy land

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Corbyn is the drat good boy who always gets his dinner egg

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the next door but one neighbors are doing some DIY, there's been drilling and hammering all morning (and all yesterday, maybe the day before too) and it's starting to get very annoying, but I can't close the windows or it gets too hot

not sure exactly what they're doing, but I think they might be making their fence higher because I heard them having an argument last week with our mutual neighbour in the middle about him apparently looking in their garden? idk but they were threatening to call the police on each other in the middle of the day

still beats working from work

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

A friend of mine shared this, and I found myself wondering what the thread’s take on it would be. Anyone who understands the law/legislative procedure better than me willing to comment?

https://davidallengreen.com/2020/04/the-significant-extension-of-the-coronavirus-restriction-on-movement-and-why-it-is-concerning/

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Failed Imagineer posted:

I just imagined a world where a centrist dril did a Rowling-style denunciation of Corbyn. "please stop telling me that jeremy corbyn is a drat good boy. owen smith gets the dinner egg. owen smith."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

And a non-zero number of people will be there because B&Q sell dust masks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

now and forever

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jedit posted:

And a non-zero number of people will be there because B&Q sell dust masks.

Good luck finding any there. They usually don't stock that many of them, and were cleared out way before the lockdown. Anything in their distribution network will have long gone with online and click & collect orders.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That probably won't stop the public, however.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
They will just buy substitutes instead. A car windscreen chamois and a bit of string maybe

Those cheap disposable overalls that i've never seen a real decorator wear are probably going to sell because they look the part

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm wearing a thick cloth ski snood around these days. If the main benefit is limiting exposure to others then I don't see the point in getting medical grade protection unless you're high risk.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Camrath posted:

A friend of mine shared this, and I found myself wondering what the thread’s take on it would be. Anyone who understands the law/legislative procedure better than me willing to comment?

https://davidallengreen.com/2020/04/the-significant-extension-of-the-coronavirus-restriction-on-movement-and-why-it-is-concerning/

This doesn't change the likelihood of the fash choosing to gently caress with you in the first place or give them any additional ability to do so, it just makes it easier for them to actually hit you with the book afterwards when they throw it at you.

e/ IANAL, that's just my read. When we've got video evidence that rank and file coppers are happy to just make up charges to stick you with, I don't think we're in a position where the letter of the law is all that important.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 23, 2020

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Not linking to it, but apparently Tweetman's on the grift again, with some website called "We Are Lit"
@wariotifo got the details, but it's another scam where she runs off with a load of donated money from thirsty centrist dads.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not linking to it, but apparently Tweetman's on the grift again, with some website called "We Are Lit"
@wariotifo got the details, but it's another scam where she runs off with a load of donated money from thirsty centrist dads.

we are lit seems to have been extinguished

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We Are LOS

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/pollycurtis/status/1253018227225083906?s=19

So glad this guys faction are back in control of labour

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1253300625284177921
:lol:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apparently:

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1253304313499324418?s=20

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

OwlFancier posted:

I hope so, I certainly pity the staff who have to try and stop folk from using it for the main before plaguetimes use of any DIY store- as a social hotspot and daycare centre for people who needed a break from leaving their chelsea tractors double parked somewhere awkward

Ratjaculation posted:

That's a dark-edged bee-fly, very under recorded so if you have time you should add it to iRecord or Naturewatch

I have had a few different ID's but yours seems most accurate- I should probably report a bunch of stuff I have down there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdWhWkRshvQ

Stay safe goons

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I can see why they're calling Keir Starmer forensic, because he's loving about with a corpse.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

That's the sort of person who gets ahead in society, because we live in a society based on victimization and exploitation and the people at the top exist in spheres composed entirely of other people who do the same thing, which further reinforces and normalizes that behaviour.

And as with many abusive people they're quite capable of masking it with performative declarations of their own goodness and co-opting of the language of actually good people, but to them it's only ever a vehicle to further self glorification and power, which is why they'll drop it the minute it's inconvenient for them. See: response to joe biden being a sex pest from people who went ballistic over trump doing it.

It’s hard to overstate how deeply British elite culture is built around displays of dominance and cruelty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean my assumption (having, blessedly, never met an elite) is that they're basically orks, or skaven, or druchii, or tomb kings or... actually yeah maybe there's a reason why warhammer has so many hosed up civilizations in it.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean my assumption (having, blessedly, never met an elite) is that they're basically orks, or skaven, or druchii, or tomb kings or... actually yeah maybe there's a reason why warhammer has so many hosed up civilizations in it.

I'm pretty sure that the humans of Warhammer are the humans, don't need to look to the made up races for a dark reflection of our stupid monkey brained heirarchies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'm pretty sure that the humans of Warhammer are the humans, don't need to look to the made up races for a dark reflection of our stupid monkey brained heirarchies.

The Tomb Kings are human too. Just... ehh... vitally-challenged.

In other news, behold:

https://twitter.com/dreamboatslim/status/1253309842539896832?s=21

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
more bizarre do-nothing bullshit, it boggles the mind

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/public-can-choose-scarves-instead-of-masks-say-uk-scientists

like not a single one of these statements makes any real sense

quote:

England’s deputy chief medical officer, Dr Jenny Harries, said the fact the issue was being debated means “the evidence either isn’t clear or is weak”.

Asked on ITV’s Good Morning Britain whether face coverings could have an effect on the London underground, she said it was possible there could be “a very, very small potential beneficial effect in some enclosed environments”.

She continued: “But the evidence is really very, very difficult to tease out. It is not a simple yes or no, unfortunately.”

Countries insisting people use masks when they are out in public are usually coupling the instruction with very strict physical distancing, which makes it hard to tell which is making a difference.
hmm yess now is the perfect time to wait for a strong evidence base before advising people to do a minor thing with a clear rationale and only speculative downsides, wouldn't want to take any unnecessary precautions!

What difference does it make whether countries telling people to wear masks are also physically distancing, why do you need to quantify the specific effect of each individual intervention that someone else has taken? If other countries are seeing a reduction in infection rates after telling people to wear masks and socially distance then clearly the hypothetical increase in transmission from people touching their face isn't actually turning out to be a huge effect.

quote:

The health secretary, Matt Hancock, has said it would be unlikely the government could provide free face masks to the public and the priority would remain giving medical masks to health staff.

The Northern Ireland secretary, Brandon Lewis, said the government would take a view on Sage’s advice on face masks but the core message continued to be that people should be physical distancing.

He said it was not right to compare the UK’s stance on face masks with other countries’ because each nation was at a different stages of the virus cycle.

lol like what the gently caress does that even mean? what stage of the virus cycle? why would masks potentially reduce transmission later but not now? suspect its probably exactly the same horseshit that led them to believe that locking down later is actually better because people might not follow the rules after a while

quote:

Martin Marshall, chair of the Royal College of General Practitioners, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme there was no research to support wearing a mask if you were fit and well, and there was even a risk of picking up the infection if people were constantly adjusting it and touching their face.

He said: “However, it’s common sense that if someone is coughing and spluttering then it makes complete sense to wear masks in order to protect other people and I think that’s what this is about.
we're loving months into this thing and the head of the rcgp is still conflating "fit and well" with "not coughing and spluttering", it is just beyond belief.

also, the government advice is not to leave your house if you're coughing and spluttering so it actually does not make complete sense to only start wearing a mask at that point

Like, OK they don't want the public using up even basic medical masks because they're struggling to find enough PPE for hospitals, but there are other sorts of masks and ad far as I'm aware no country is mandating you wear an N95 to the shops.

It just seems like an ideological opposition to masks for some reason, and I can't guess what. Maybe it's because they've made all these statements about how masks will give you the disease because you'll touch your face (cf Austria where millions have died as a result of compulsory mask-related infections) and they don't want to back down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's one way to renationalize the NHS.