Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

That's one way to defy the Gender binary, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/wIRHvUX.mp4

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

:golfclap:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

I laughed

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When everyone but you knows it’s Opposite Day.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

MisterOblivious posted:

He's a right wing shithead
Didn’t bigclive also turn out to be a shithead too? Man, where does one go for ethically-sourced electronics-based entertainment these days?

//Edit: oh right, electroboom

Artemis J Brassnuts fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 23, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bigclive is a bit grognardy but he seems fine to me?

electroboom is bae tho

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I think you're thinking of that other guy who put forward some good analyses of why solar roadways are a complete waste of time, but whose personal politics made you wish he got hit by a truck whilst standing on one.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

nexus6 posted:

Would like to know what you come up with. Personally I have 2 windows 10 machines both connected via ethernet to the same router but I can't use RDP without buying another Win 10 Pro license.

VNC. You want VNC. We have some use cases where VNC is going to be the best solution (one vendor's software simply doesn't work over RDP), so we're going to do a formal Security Risk Assessment and buy some licenses for RealVNC.

What you want is, the cheap option, a TightVNC server on the remote machine and use RealVNCs Viewer app to connect to it. I've tested both Tight and Real for connecting to my headless media Mac; TightVNC is seconds per frame while Real Viewer is almost real time.

Or, RealVNC server Professional tier is $40/year. For businesses they have an interesting helpdesk option. You pay for named technicians who can then connect to any of your devices to handle use support. It's more expensive than a device license, but vastly cheaper than whatever Bomgar is called now.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Can you talk about what the problem(s) are with TeamViewer?

Unattended access is bad enough, the security holes just make it worse. The protocols we're working on explicitly include one of our employees opening the "door" for the vendor or other 3rd party, then explicitly calling for them to stop sharing and end the WebEx/Zoom session at the end.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

I think you're thinking of that other guy who put forward some good analyses of why solar roadways are a complete waste of time, but whose personal politics made you wish he got hit by a truck whilst standing on one.

That would be Thunderf00t.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Lurking Haro posted:

Thanks to DoNotEat, we know his name is actually pronounced thunderffff zero zero tee. That guy is so far up his own rear end. Not DoNotEat, he's cool as hell and people in this thread should look up the "Well there's your problem" podcasts if you haven't.

Also, Alice's inconsistent nihilism is my spirit animal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Lurking Haro posted:

Him or Dave

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Him or Dave

Thunderf00t has the backlog of anti-feminism videos, unless Dave has a secret channel were he vents.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

Thunderf00t has the backlog of anti-feminism videos, unless Dave has a secret channel were he vents.

With Dave it's mostly his live streams where he'll go off on how Trump is good because people voted for him or why Brexit is good because they voted for it. I don't think he's entirely ingrained in the beliefs, but he's onboard with what's going on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mllaneza posted:

VNC. You want VNC. We have some use cases where VNC is going to be the best solution (one vendor's software simply doesn't work over RDP), so we're going to do a formal Security Risk Assessment and buy some licenses for RealVNC.

What you want is, the cheap option, a TightVNC server on the remote machine and use RealVNCs Viewer app to connect to it. I've tested both Tight and Real for connecting to my headless media Mac; TightVNC is seconds per frame while Real Viewer is almost real time.

I have the opposite situation where I use TightVNC server to control about 100 windows boxes and it's quick and fluid with the TightVNC client but if anyone is using RealVNC to connect it's dogshit slow.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

install gentoo linux

e: the number of mission critical apps running on some guy’s workstation never ceases to amaze me. small businesses, never again

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 23, 2020

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

d3lness posted:

Thanks to DoNotEat, we know his name is actually pronounced thunderffff zero zero tee. That guy is so far up his own rear end. Not DoNotEat, he's cool as hell and people in this thread should look up the "Well there's your problem" podcasts if you haven't.

lol at using the term "spirit animal" while talking about a podcast woke enough that it opens with the announcing of pronouns.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

KoRMaK posted:

lol at using the term "spirit animal" while talking about a podcast woke enough that it opens with the announcing of pronouns.

A spirit animal that shits on the carpet and roots through the trash cans for treats?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

d3lness posted:

A coworker of mine interviewed him for a podcast awhile back and said he's a nice guy and way younger than his voice suggests.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

A coworker of mine interviewed him for a podcast awhile back and said he's a nice guy and way younger than his voice suggests.
dont watch if you dont wanna ruin the mystiq

of course he's a goon :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lskXJ3_Jybo (un-embedded to save those that want to be saved)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

The video he deleted was linked in the prior reply. It takes him less than 2 minutes to start bitching about a women abusing social services.

Keep in mind that people provide the absolute best one-sided version of the story when they tell it, and he comes off as a MRA shithead in the best possible telling of the story.

He met his Indian wife over the internet and tried to bring her into the country on a tourist visa. When that failed he tried to bring his internet wife and her mother into the country on tourist visas.

He was declined because he failed to provide his source of income, YouTube, which he stopped posting on. He literally used the income stream he stopped using as the way he'd support Indian bride. Oficials didn't buy his "I make 50 grand a year" despite not posting videos.

this guy sounds annoying but on the other hand, defrauding the byzantine and racist immigration system of the typical western government is good

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

d3lness posted:

I honestly can't watch "Well There's Your Problem" because the only interesting and useful person on the podcast is DoNotEat and everyone else just detracts and distracts from his quality storytime.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's kind of why I stopped listening to it. I like hearing about the OSHA disasters, but the other people don't really add much besides making snarky comments.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I honestly can't watch "Well There's Your Problem" because the only interesting and useful person on the podcast is DoNotEat and everyone else just detracts and distracts from his quality storytime.
I don't disagree. It's hard to listen to because of that, and because a lot of the interjections aren't really all that funny and their delivery kinda sucks and wandering and then they laugh at their jokes too much. So i put it on at 1.5x or whatever

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

PurpleXVI posted:

:same:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Squalid posted:

this guy sounds annoying but on the other hand, defrauding the byzantine and racist immigration system of the typical western government is good

hey now

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ironically the bonus Patreon episodes that they started as jokes on Groverhaus or lovely van that Liam bought are their best content because people besides DNE have interesting stuff to say about the topic and their tangents are usually still at least somewhat related to the main topic.

WTYP is fine but I get that not everybody has the stomach to listen to Liam and Alice yank the mic away and tangent about something completely unrelated for 10 minutes.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

what they really need to do is combine with stav's art twitch podcast so he can play comptroller to keep the jokes moving

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I actually think what they need is another engineering type to balance it out, then DoNotEat can go on engineering tangents with them too.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

I'm not sure what you mean.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Don't Ask posted:

https://twitter.com/calcalist/status/1252875598654930955

It's hard to see but there's already one beam on the ground at the start of the clip.

Should have hit the mobile mini it would have been an improvement.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

d3lness posted:

announcing what pronouns you use off the bat is Very Woke

using the term "spirit animal" colloquially is a somewhat insensitive reference to native american spirituality and is Not Very Woke

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

announcing what pronouns you use off the bat is Very Woke

using the term "spirit animal" colloquially is a somewhat insensitive reference to native american spirituality and is Not Very Woke

I never really thought of it that way. Guess I've just been using it since I was a lovely college kid and never stopped to think about it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah this how I feel about it too

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

PurpleXVI posted:

Same, I tried listening to the Lac-Mégantic one because it was a colossal fuckup on every level and hearing about it from an engineering and policy standpoint should be interesting, but the other people were unbearable. It'd be fine if they were actually funny, but their idea of comedy seems to be saying something dumb followed by chanting ~praaaaxiiiiiis~. Combined with the undercurrent of weird contempt for the victims because they were rurals, it made me lose interest in checking out any other episodes.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

d3lness posted:

like sage said, spirit animal is typically a native or indigenous peoples concept that's been colonized. to use it in a callous or trite way would be like ignoring someones preferred pronouns

d3lness posted:

I never really thought of it that way. Guess I've just been using it since I was a lovely college kid and never stopped to think about it. Thanks for pointing that out.
thanks for listening

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Well There's Your Problem is something that I put on when I'm zoning out playing shootermans games and I switch between paying attention to the podcast and paying attention to the game based on who's talking. DNE gets 100% of my attention, Liam gets it about half the time based on the subject, and Alice I usually tune out completely because - as other posters have said - I just don't find her to be very funny. I appreciate the knowledge that she brings to the podcast and some of her feedback, but a lot of her jokes just fizzle to me.

Still something I listen to routinely, though. The Spirit Animal thing is fucky but at least it's a passive dipshit "I never thought of it before" faux pas instead of the intentional rear end in a top hat "HAHA TRIGGERED LIBS???" trolling. DNE himself is a goon and would probably suggest to the others to knock that poo poo off if someone brought it up to them.

Kith fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 23, 2020

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Kith posted:

The Spirit Animal thing is fucky but at least it's a passive dipshit "I never thought of it before" faux pas instead of the intentional rear end in a top hat "HAHA TRIGGERED LIBS???" trolling.

I just wanna be super clear and say I'm really sorry about that again. I feel like a weapons grade shitbag for not realizing that until now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Is self-flagellation considered an OSHA violation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It's alright, we all got conditioned to use it for a long time. Don't beat yourself up tho that's not productive or constructive

it is uranium grade trolling material tho. First nations people have been hosed over almost eternally and have a known history of what now adays would be called queer or trans, inhabiting multiple genders at once, not just the binary ones. So seeing lgbtq spaces or adjacent spaces not recognize them sticks in my craw. You accepted the feedback tho so don't sweat it