Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

My attitude towards mods for all sorts of games has gotten a lot more boring over the last few years. Time was I'd stuff as many ridiculous things as I could find into a Fallout:NV or whatever, but these days I just plug in whatever the unofficial patch du jour is and fire it up. Played through a completely vanilla DX game last year and didn't feel like the experience was lessened for it, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

I honestly couldn't be hosed with the DX mods when I hear poo poo like that. So there's one really huge mod that changes everything, but it's bad. So there's another mod that builds on the first [?] that also changes everything. And there's a third mod that changes everything but it compatible with the first two I think? And I swear I must be dylexic cause I keep mixing up which is which; but as you can tell I no longer care about what some random nerd's interpretation of the "Intended Experience" from a professional studio is.

Stuff like that has made me wary of mods for a very long time, and only in the past year or so have I discovered the joy of tiny, modular, well-supported mods that do pleasant things like change a tiny UI element and nothing else.

Deus Ex's skill system was slapped together at the last second, I think a few iterations of improvement are welcome as long as they're in the spirit of the original game. It isn't that complicated anyway, Shifter made a bunch of really great changes but added skills for kills and some bugs. Biomod builds on many of Shifter's ideas and takes a few further, while removing skills for kills and fixing bugs. It's not really akin to something like Brutal Doom where it becomes a completely different game, it just adds more options, something fairly welcome in a game where giving you a whole lot of options is kind of the point.

I don't have much interest in anything that changes the level design, story or major graphical changes. I'd be cool with a remake, but I feel a remake of Deus Ex would have to be an entirely new game using the original only as a basic template.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Serephina posted:

I honestly couldn't be hosed with the DX mods when I hear poo poo like that. So there's one really huge mod that changes everything, but it's bad. So there's another mod that builds on the first [?] that also changes everything. And there's a third mod that changes everything but it compatible with the first two I think? And I swear I must be dylexic cause I keep mixing up which is which; but as you can tell I no longer care about what some random nerd's interpretation of the "Intended Experience" from a professional studio is.

Stuff like that has made me wary of mods for a very long time, and only in the past year or so have I discovered the joy of tiny, modular, well-supported mods that do pleasant things like change a tiny UI element and nothing else.

Whenever I try to deal with mods in any game I have to wade through 90% poo poo, 9% something that seems promising but is actually poo poo, and 1% pure solid gold. But damned if that 1% doesn't keep me lookin for cool mods

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Non-gameplay mods
New Vision: Updates the textures to high res. No-brainer imo.
Kentie's launcher: updates the .exe so it plays better with modern systems. Again, no-brainer.
HDTP: New 3d-models and textures for enemies, weapons, etc. Kinda eh, some models look nice, some look dumb as hell. Also not done, development is dead.

Gameplay mods
Shifter: the 'first' big overhaul mod. Lots of quality of life changes, and updates skills en augs to be more interesting/useful/balanced. Added some small new systems, weapons, etc. Restores some cut content and fixes some bugs. A bit unpolished. Full changelist: https://deusex.fandom.com/wiki/Shifter_(Mod)

quote:

Author Y|yukichigai's mission statement is as follows: Shifter is my attempt at "removing the suck" from Deus Ex, what little of it there is. There are some annoying aspects of the game system, unresolved glitches, and a minor helping of unrealized potential scattered throughout this groundbreaking game. Shifter attempts to address those issues. As one person put it, paraphrased, Shifter doesn't add new content so much as improve the existing content. Shifter makes Deus Ex what it should have been, or at least one interpretation of what it should have been.

Biomod: An add-on for Shifter, that updates and polishes the mod. Adds a couple of things like autosaves, ledge grabs. Or, as you might put it: biomod doesn't add new shifter content so much as improve the existing mod. Biomod makes Shifter into what it should have been, or at least one interpretation of what it should have been. The gooncensus is that if you want a gameplay mod this is the one to grab.

GMDX: A way larger mod that completely overhauls the game. Look on the page to see what is changed. Incorporates a lot of changes that are also present in biomod/shifter, but also changes AI, level layouts, graphics, the whole deal. Tries to keep in line with the original game as much as possible. Includes HDTP/New Vision/Kentie updates.

Revision: the second large overhaul mod. Makes more substantial changes to maps. Can be downloaded directly from Steam. Also inclused HDTP/New Vision/etc. Has loads of options: you can play it in "shifter" or "biomod" mode for instance, use the new soundtrack or stick with the old one, etc. IIRC the goon hivemind recommends GMDX over Revision, but there has been many heated debated.

Total Conversions/New campaigns
TNM: The Nameless Mod. A huge new campaign with loads of new assets and features. Gameplay wise it's very cool imo, but it's sprung from a community forum project and there's lots of weird poo poo and bad story stuff. It's also huge, probably rivaling the OG game in size. I like it, but YMMV.

A list of other campaigns that are available (but I haven't played):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Deusex/comments/6tv5be/best_total_conversion_mods_for_de1/ posted:

Nihilum, a sequel to DX. Very good too. More classic than TNM, shorter too (still over 10h though).

2027, a prequel to DX (but to be honest, I don't remember it as being really close to the DX world). More flaws than Nihilum, but more creativity: the new weapons/skills/etc add a lot in this one. Between 10 and 20h as well I think.

Zodiac, one of the first DX TC I think, good maps but not as good as the previous ones, relatively good story, some new stuff. Still a mod to be played IMO, but not as good as the previous ones. Similar duration as the previous two.

Hotel Carone is mainly one big map, so it's much shorter than the other ones. You're in an hotel where people have been taken hostages by some terrorists and have to free them.

Others:

Terminus Machina is a very original mod, lots of new stuff and mechanics, but I've never went too far into it because I turned busy after starting it.

Mutations: I don't remember this mod that much, but I think it was ok.

Redsun 2020 is a big, long mod, but I don't like ~2/3rd of it: big empty maps, bad humor... The rest is good though...

Malkavian mod and Unreal Revolution: two short parodies that are very funny.

There's also Burden of 80 Proof, a kinda silly mod.

There are some more, all shorter than those I named (except the parodies) I think, you'll find them on moddb.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 23, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Serephina posted:

I no longer care about what some random nerd's interpretation of the "Intended Experience" from a professional studio is.

Good thing nobody has ever claimed that ever, weird that that would be your takeaway from the idea of fixing bugs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sleeveless posted:

Good thing nobody has ever claimed that ever, weird that that would be your takeaway from the idea of fixing bugs.

Which mod exactly added xp popup for shooting people in the face? I tried that one maybe 15 years ago and laughed. Well, I laughed after I rage-vented at my uni friend who also played DX. How badly does someone have to miss the point to look at DX and think "There should be explicit positive feedback rewards for murder, THIS is what the game is missing!" Someone really thought that the dev's intentionally leaving no commentary on player lethality was an explicit mistake, that needed to be remedied via mods. Was that Shifter? Looking at these recent replies (and the timeline of when I played it), it looks like it just might be. "Removing the suck from DX", indeed.

When I see such grievous errors of judgement, I have no respect for that creator's judgement and taste and couldn't be hosed seeing what else they put in. This lead to me having a decade-long opinion of "All mods are poo poo, there is a reason it takes paid professionals ages to make something good".

So maybe my phrasing was sloppy; I certainly don't think that random nerds know the true artistic intent of the creators better than the creators themselves (as what I typed & you quoted would imply), but rather; that any random nerd who sees a complete product and proudly proclaims "What would make this game *really* great is-- " and I just tune out, because they're invariably wrong and I don't want to see their horse vagina mod.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I still think Revision is awesome and it’s my go-to way to play Deus Ex. I like the level changes and prefer it over GemDix.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is it still feasible to set up a game of Deus Ex multiplayer? I’d be down to run a server if some people want to play one night as long as the technical parts still work. Haven’t played the death match mode in forever but I remember enjoying it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is it still feasible to set up a game of Deus Ex multiplayer? I’d be down to run a server if some people want to play one night as long as the technical parts still work. Haven’t played the death match mode in forever but I remember enjoying it.

You'll need to enter the IP address manually cuz the central server is down, but it should still work.

IMHO the multi was never great, though. It would have been good as some sort of objective-based team game, not a random deathmatch.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gynovore posted:

You'll need to enter the IP address manually cuz the central server is down, but it should still work.

IMHO the multi was never great, though. It would have been good as some sort of objective-based team game, not a random deathmatch.

Objective based would definitely work better with the DX gameplay, but I do remember the augs made for some crazy gunfights sometimes.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I will never forgive the multiplayer for loving up the plasma rifle's (and PS20's) damage.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aniviron posted:

I will never forgive the multiplayer for loving up the plasma rifle's (and PS20's) damage.

The PS20 was hosed from the start because it didn’t stack in the inventory. What did it do to the plasma rifle damage though?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Love scripting zoom / fire / zoom to lmb for significantly higher damage with sniper rifles

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

Which mod exactly added xp popup for shooting people in the face? I tried that one maybe 15 years ago and laughed. Well, I laughed after I rage-vented at my uni friend who also played DX. How badly does someone have to miss the point to look at DX and think "There should be explicit positive feedback rewards for murder, THIS is what the game is missing!" Someone really thought that the dev's intentionally leaving no commentary on player lethality was an explicit mistake, that needed to be remedied via mods. Was that Shifter? Looking at these recent replies (and the timeline of when I played it), it looks like it just might be. "Removing the suck from DX", indeed.

When I see such grievous errors of judgement, I have no respect for that creator's judgement and taste and couldn't be hosed seeing what else they put in. This lead to me having a decade-long opinion of "All mods are poo poo, there is a reason it takes paid professionals ages to make something good".

So maybe my phrasing was sloppy; I certainly don't think that random nerds know the true artistic intent of the creators better than the creators themselves (as what I typed & you quoted would imply), but rather; that any random nerd who sees a complete product and proudly proclaims "What would make this game *really* great is-- " and I just tune out, because they're invariably wrong and I don't want to see their horse vagina mod.

Shifter also had a bonus for flushing dirty toilets and explosive seagulls. It had some cool ideas but it was really more of a joke mod.

e: Honestly the premise of your entire argument is pretty dumb. Modders have influenced commercial games since they've existed, many changes that mods make often get rolled into updates of games if the developer deems it to be a good idea. Purity of the developer's original artistic vision is important and should be preserved but game design as it is today is massively influenced by modifications of existing games. Someone saw ARMA and proudly proclaimed they could make it better by adding zombies. Someone saw DayZ and proudly proclaimed they could make it better by adding a battle royale mode. Counter-Strike is a better multiplayer Half-Life. DOTA is directly derived from Warcraft 3. Virtually any Bethesda RPG is kind of poo poo without a mountain of mods. Ms Pac Man is a fan-made mod of Pac Man.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 26, 2020

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The PS20 was hosed from the start because it didn’t stack in the inventory. What did it do to the plasma rifle damage though?

The last official patch accidentally swapped the multiplayer plasma damage values for the rifle & ps20 for the singleplayer ones; and the difference is significant, something like 5-10x. I have a mod that fixes it, and the PS20 will one-hit any humanoid enemy that doesn't have the energy shield aug, and the splash damage alone is enough to kill most grunt-level enemies. The plasma rifle is devastating, and works against just about anything except the heaviest bots in a hit or two.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aniviron posted:

The last official patch accidentally swapped the multiplayer plasma damage values for the rifle & ps20 for the singleplayer ones; and the difference is significant, something like 5-10x. I have a mod that fixes it, and the PS20 will one-hit any humanoid enemy that doesn't have the energy shield aug, and the splash damage alone is enough to kill most grunt-level enemies. The plasma rifle is devastating, and works against just about anything except the heaviest bots in a hit or two.

Was that patch automatically on the GOTY edition disc? It would make sense with why I was so let down by the plasma rifle.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I remember the PS20 always being a one hit wonder, but I honestly don't remember ever using the plasma rifle on any playthrough whether vanilla or shifter etc. Which mod gives it the intended values?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

the one shot plasma exists because ~~they~~ don’t want you to hear what what that one rear end in a top hat at the top of the stairs says

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Serephina posted:

NB: it also gives you an XP bonus for being stealthy. The idea is to reward the player doing things "well".

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The beauty of a one shot disposable plasma pistol. I loved that baby. “For when you absolutely positively got to kill exactly one motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.”

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I forget which mod I was using to make the plasma rifle & PS20 work properly, but it might even have been built into Shifter or Biomod, I forget. Couldn't find it on my drive, anyway.

But I did find the source for the plasma rifle damage thing: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=11617

Essentially it's doing 8 damage instead of 40-50. Also worth being aware that this is per projectile, and the plasma rifle fires multiple projectiles.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Even fixed the plasma rifles problem is that there is a GEP gun.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Can’t enemy plasma rifles be more dangerous if you have level one of that aug that blows up enemy projectiles? IIRC it would blow up any plasma rifle shot right as it got within its splash damage radius so basically made every enemy plasma rifle shot hit you.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Even fixed the plasma rifles problem is that there is a GEP gun.

I found that they filled very different roles; the slow reload and limited ammo of the GEP meant it was a specialty tools for bots, beefy enemies, and doors, best used when you don't need rapid fire. The plasma rifle gets 12 shots per magazine (or whatever you put in it) and fires quite quickly, which lets you assault positions with ease. The fact that you get so many shots per mag also means that missing isn't a big deal, you don't have to conserve ammo so much like you do with the GEP. Really the plasma is more comparable to the flamethrower, but much longer range.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

aniviron posted:

I found that they filled very different roles; the slow reload and limited ammo of the GEP meant it was a specialty tools for bots, beefy enemies, and doors, best used when you don't need rapid fire. The plasma rifle gets 12 shots per magazine (or whatever you put in it) and fires quite quickly, which lets you assault positions with ease. The fact that you get so many shots per mag also means that missing isn't a big deal, you don't have to conserve ammo so much like you do with the GEP. Really the plasma is more comparable to the flamethrower, but much longer range.

The plasma was kinda weird. The shots don't fly too fast so it's useless against fast moving enemies at range; however, it has a splash, so you can't use it at close range.

The main problem, of course, is how it gobbled up 8 inventory slots. They should have had the heavy weapons skill make them smaller.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Xander77 posted:

the drowned barge on liberty island.

WHAT?????

Still finding out stuff after hundreds of hours playing this game

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gynovore posted:

The plasma was kinda weird. The shots don't fly too fast so it's useless against fast moving enemies at range; however, it has a splash, so you can't use it at close range.

The main problem, of course, is how it gobbled up 8 inventory slots. They should have had the heavy weapons skill make them smaller.

The thing is, the GEP gun justifies its massive size, so getting smaller heavy weapons would just make using that thing even more of a no brainer.

Basically, heavy weapons is one of the best multitools in the game... and a couple of useless dead weight items that take up way too much space.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Keith Atherton posted:

WHAT?????

Still finding out stuff after hundreds of hours playing this game

Lmao I go for it on every playthrough. Right off smugglers shack. Love that this thread can still produce this.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Filben's shack :)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
If they haven't discovered something as obvious as that then they've probably got a whole host of other surprises waiting for a more thorough play through

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

fuckpot posted:

Filben's shack :)
Haha thanks buddy. I was wicked tired and a bit high when I posted that.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked GMDX a lot about 2 years ago, I don't think it gave experience in exchange for doing takedowns or whatever.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

paul denton is obviously named after paul denton from rules of attraction

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Paul Denton is a new trance talent from Ireland who’s getting a lot of attention lately from the big hitters in the trance scene. His iDentify radio show has gotten him fans worldwide, where he debuts regular original tracks and reworks that are totally exclusive to his sets. Tracks such as Searching The Sky and ‘Say My Name’ with Audrey Gallagher under his Flynn & Denton duo project have stood out clearly over 24 months and highlighted Paul’s ear for a good record. Tipped by Aly & Fila, John O’Callaghan, John Askew amongst others: Paul Denton is a name to watch closely.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Doc Hawkins posted:

paul denton is obviously named after paul denton from rules of attraction

Your user name inspired me to dig out my Surviving the Game DVD and it’s still bad but still entertaining

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1255070445306437632?s=19

Cool thread on unfiltered textures in Deus Ex. Makes me wonder like running it on software on a CRT back in the day would have looked like.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

dishwasherlove posted:

https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1255070445306437632?s=19

Cool thread on unfiltered textures in Deus Ex. Makes me wonder like running it on software on a CRT back in the day would have looked like.

That's how I ran it as a kid. My memory of 3D rendering is simply that it smoothed out the pixels. It might give it "less detail" but it certainly didn't make it seem worse that we ever wanted to go back.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The chunky pixels look better on the environment, but that guy's face in the last picture? Gah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I just cracked out the GOTY edition from GOG and forced the unfiltered textures in the d3d10 renderer. It's not bad in 4k.

That said, the first level is weirdly hard to get into again. Something about large open spaces and the weirdly opaque stealth mechanism, I haven't got the feel for it yet.