Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I learned a new word today - never heard of a styptic pencil before. Just one of those things you somehow never run across in your life before!

I don’t have anything interesting to say I just learned a thing and that’s cool

E: drat what a lovely snipe

poo poo pissing me off: working on automation this week to smoothly off board a fifth of the company. Morbid as hell, especially since none of us have any idea whether we’ll be going through it ourselves. Blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Sounds like you should make yourself unfireable.

"No boss, I have no idea why it always crashes on processing The Iron Rose, but I guess we should skip me" :v:

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

A colleague, who is tasked with installing a sftp-server in a DMZ, just asked:

:downs: : Do you know a udp-alternative to ssh-sftp?
me: What? Why?
:downs: : Well, it's a DMZ, so tcp won't work because the replies would never reach the sender.

This dude has a degree in Computer Science and 15 years of relevant work experience. And I really, really need to soundproof my home so that I can scream without the neighbours calling the police.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Once again, people need to stop it with this "Hi" or "Hello" or "Got a Minute" poo poo on chat.

Them 11:12: Hi
*waits a bit to see if anything is coming as a followup*
Me 11:15: What's up?
Them 11:20: Did you get a chance to take a look at that thing yet?

8 minutes wasted on what is essentially a non-question. Just ask for an update outright. At this point I'm just going to not respond at all to one word greetings until they actually follow up with content.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Once again, people need to stop it with this "Hi" or "Hello" or "Got a Minute" poo poo on chat.

8 minutes wasted on what is essentially a non-question. Just ask for an update outright. At this point I'm just going to not respond at all to one word greetings until they actually follow up with content.

Instead of getting angry about such a trivial non-issue, maybe take the opportunity to connect with your coworker?

Obviously they are just reaching out because they are vulnerable and need someone to talk to. Approach them with empathy and compassion and absolutely refuse to answer any work questions until you've had the opportunity to establish that they are in a good mental and emotional space.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Xarn posted:

Sounds like you should make yourself unfireable.

"No boss, I have no idea why it always crashes on processing The Iron Rose, but I guess we should skip me" :v:

Turns out my boss got to take the automation he worked on for a test drive himself, along with our senior sysadmin.

At least I’m safe from this round! Guess I won’t be applying for IT with the Biden campaign after all.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bull3964 posted:

I get the opposite.

Me 11:12: *I ask a question without going through the entire greeting song and dance
Them 11:13: Hi

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Fool posted:

Instead of getting angry about such a trivial non-issue, maybe take the opportunity to connect with your coworker?

Obviously they are just reaching out because they are vulnerable and need someone to talk to. Approach them with empathy and compassion and absolutely refuse to answer any work questions until you've had the opportunity to establish that they are in a good mental and emotional space.

You know, that just may be the way to go.

Also, I need to be sure they understand my mental and emotion space so we are on a common playing field before proceeding.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I just started a new job and got explicitly told to start with a greeting and await a response before continuing

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

bull3964 posted:

You know, that just may be the way to go.

Also, I need to be sure they understand my mental and emotion space so we are on a common playing field before proceeding.

Now you're a team player!

zokie posted:

I just started a new job and got explicitly told to start with a greeting and await a response before continuing

All joking aside, people that do this think they're being polite but don't realize that any message at all is disruptive, and the having to wait for a response just makes it worse.

If you want to have a conversation, have a conversation. If you need to ask a question, ask a question. Don't try to disguise the latter as the former.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I just split the difference

Hi Bob, how was your day? Did you get a chance to do thing?

Social-focused people answer the first, efficiency people answer the second, and normal loving human beings answer both

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Sickening posted:

I get the opposite.

Me 11:12: *I ask a question without going through the entire greeting song and dance
Them 11:13: Hi

11:14 to 11:24: “Bob is typing a message...”
11:25: no

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Social-focused people answer the first, efficiency people answer the second, and normal loving human beings answer both

I'm slowly training my dad to IM like a modern human being. If a moderate amount of time has passed he tends to react to informal messages by abruptly restarting the conversation as if it was a written letter.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ConfusedUs posted:

This is what I do too. You can still feel polite but also you aren't waiting for an ACK to your SYN before you ask your question. Everyone wins.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

bull3964 posted:

That's why you respond with "Hi" and then go back to doing what you were before. I've got a couple coworkers that IM me just "ping" so I reply pong and close the window.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

UK goons: Openreach are letting service providers suspend ethernet services for three months if the customer is an SME (<250 staff, <£45m turnover) so talk to your ISPs if you need to take advantage of that

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
After two months now of corona-chan closing doors for me getting a new job, I got a call back from a place that I had contacted back in February. They were interested in me then, but they wanted me to work nights and I declined (because I thought I had options lol) and they said they'd keep me in mind if something else opened up (which I assumed was a meaningless pleasantry).

Well, they did call me on Monday and ask if I was still interested if they had a day job, I said yes, they scheduled an interview for yesterday, I nailed it, and now all I have to do is pass an aptitude test they're sending me. The job will pay 17% more than my last stop, I will be working about 25% fewer hours, and they pay OT even on salary. I will have to move, but it's to a nice area with a lower CoL than where I'm at now.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

After two months now of corona-chan closing doors for me getting a new job, I got a call back from a place that I had contacted back in February. They were interested in me then, but they wanted me to work nights and I declined (because I thought I had options lol) and they said they'd keep me in mind if something else opened up (which I assumed was a meaningless pleasantry).

Well, they did call me on Monday and ask if I was still interested if they had a day job, I said yes, they scheduled an interview for yesterday, I nailed it, and now all I have to do is pass an aptitude test they're sending me. The job will pay 17% more than my last stop, I will be working about 25% fewer hours, and they pay OT even on salary. I will have to move, but it's to a nice area with a lower CoL than where I'm at now.

:yotj:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Good. Congratulations. Don't gently caress it up.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Good luck

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just realized that releases hosted on Github are stored on S3 buckets. :psyduck:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I think Github uses S3 for profile avatar too. I know for sure Discord uses S3.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ratbert90 posted:

I just realized that releases hosted on Github are stored on S3 buckets. :psyduck:

Where did you think they were stored?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sickening posted:

On Azure infrastructure perhaps, considering Microsoft owns them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Well, github is owned by ms now.

It is kinda funny to say that ms is an aws customer, even if it’s not directly.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Github wasn’t owned by MS back then, and I doubt changing releases storage is on top priority.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sickening posted:

...in the balls?

:confused:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Aesis posted:

Github wasn't owned by MS back then, and I doubt changing releases storage is on top priority.

I can't imagine pointing releases on the backend to azure would be that difficult.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

I can't imagine pointing releases on the backend to azure would be that difficult.

Don't become what we all hate.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

nielsm posted:

On Azure infrastructure perhaps, considering Microsoft owns them.

It was easily 10 years after they bought Hotmail that MS even managed to have SOME of it running on Windows

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

smugmug managed to migrate all of flickr's data into AWS in about a year after they bought that stinky old site from verizon. All that stuff was still living on whatever servers yahoo had tossed it on.

They did have a day of downtime because of it though. The original window was 12 hours but they totally blew past that and things were down for about a day.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

ookiimarukochan posted:

It was easily 10 years after they bought Hotmail that MS even managed to have SOME of it running on Windows

That isn't even the worst crime about Hotmail. Don't forget it was not until LAST YEAR that Azure/Office 365 passwords could be longer than 16 characters, due to the loving Hotmail backend hanging around. That was some bullshit let me tell you, and it was especially ridiculous that you could have longer passwords by syncing them from on-premises AD (because it would just sync the hash), but if you wanted to use Azure self-service password reset, your users couldn't type in a longer password to the SSPR page because even though it theoretically was just writing it back to AD, the 16-character limit still applied. So you were stuck telling people they had to use the password change dialog in Windows like it was 1999.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

At work for a very long time our passwords had to be exactly 8 characters. That's the union of the maximum character length of HP-UX and the minimum in Active Directory. We still call account names UnixIDs, and we probably will be after the last person employed while the HP-UX environment was active has retired.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I love Microsoft support. Open a ticket in the O365 portal, user is having problems with Outlook for Android app. "We do not support that app, have them use the in-app support request." Use the in-app support request, they will only talk to the user and the user only, and only through the Outlook app. Try to find a way for an internal O365 admin to be involved in the request, it's apparently not possible. Microsoft, I will never, ever, send my users directly to you for support because you are garbage and I don't want to deal with that fallout.

I just can't these days.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Github's been broked all morning

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lots of sites seem boggy this morning, I guess the internet can't handle pandemics anymore.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I love Microsoft support. Open a ticket in the O365 portal, user is having problems with Outlook for Android app. "We do not support that app, have them use the in-app support request." Use the in-app support request, they will only talk to the user and the user only, and only through the Outlook app. Try to find a way for an internal O365 admin to be involved in the request, it's apparently not possible. Microsoft, I will never, ever, send my users directly to you for support because you are garbage and I don't want to deal with that fallout.

I just can't these days.

This exact reason was how I got our CEO to move off outlook. We’re a gsuite shop and he was the only person still using Outlook. The in-app support, as you might expect, was useless. Emails just stopped being delivered to his inbox one day, both outlook and google kept tossing the problem at each other. Back when I was still doing some tickets at this company I spent probably about 12 hours white glove helping through it before the inevitable conclusion of “just use Gmail” was finally reached.

It was lovely tech work but it was easily the most useful time I spent all quarter. the CEO was great and now he knows my name and thinks I walk on water, and that’s how I survived the literal decimation of our company on Tuesday.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

xzzy posted:

Lots of sites seem boggy this morning, I guess the internet can't handle pandemics anymore.

Even SA seems slow today :smith:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Iron Rose posted:

I learned a new word today - never heard of a styptic pencil before. Just one of those things you somehow never run across in your life before!
They essentially disappeared when people thought aluminum caused alzheimers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

This exact reason was how I got our CEO to move off outlook. We’re a gsuite shop and he was the only person still using Outlook. The in-app support, as you might expect, was useless. Emails just stopped being delivered to his inbox one day, both outlook and google kept tossing the problem at each other. Back when I was still doing some tickets at this company I spent probably about 12 hours white glove helping through it before the inevitable conclusion of “just use Gmail” was finally reached.

It was lovely tech work but it was easily the most useful time I spent all quarter. the CEO was great and now he knows my name and thinks I walk on water, and that’s how I survived the literal decimation of our company on Tuesday.

Fantastic. The twist here is we're a Microsoft shop and use O365. Good luck ever trying to get help with the iOS Mail app, Gmail, or any of the built-in email apps for Android, from Microsoft. It blows my mind that this is their idea of "support" on their first party apps.