Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

I bought a 25 pound bag at a DC area costco just last week. There's a shitton in there. The $6 bag is some bleached flour I don't remember, and they've got a $12 bag of unbleached King Arthur.

edit: but yeah, good loving luck at normal grocery stores. I asked one of the guys working at the aldi when the flour showed up and he said monday morning but recommended I get there at opening because it just flies out.

I love bleach (it's Ardent Mills Bread flour, here at least). No KA Bread Flour here, but definitely had some organic AP.

Rolo posted:

6$ for a 25lb bag trumps anything I can find by a lot. If I had a bigger pantry I’d be on that.

It packs down surprisingly small. I use 2... 6 quart? plastic containers and a gallon size baggie to store it. I work through the baggie for daily feedings/bakes then refill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Thanks, Costco is a great idea that I hadn't considered. I live very close to one, and I'm not opposed to getting a membership just for this.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Babby’s first loaf pan loaf. Pretty dense crumb, but I’ll take it.

Not sure what happened. I was doing the overnight country brown from FWSY. The thing took 16 or so hours to double (I kept it in my 63° ish basement overnight because of past experience with these doughs going crazy in warmer kitchens). After bulk, this half went into a 1.25lb bread pan. The other half went into a boule-shaped banneton. I let them proof for about four hours because the just seemed really lethargic and wet in general. I’ve also been having trouble shaping the dough balls per forkish. They always have a sticky, uneven skin.

Anyway. The boule is a total disaster, and this one didn’t do much in the way of rising once placed into the loaf pan. Good oven spring, though. Baked about 50 minutes at 350°. More research is required.

Tastes alright though.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 22, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My cousin got me an oval banneton for batard loaves, which I'm hyped about. But I only have a round dutch oven that I bake in. I have a baking steel (not stone) that I can attempt to do some sort of steam tray underneath, but I'm concerned it will get surface rust as it's pretty apt to do so. Any suggestions?

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
It will be fine I bake loafs with steam and a steel about once a week and have no rust problems. I generally remove the steam pans after about 20mins.

I use lava rocks and a pan with rolled up towels like in this post. https://www.theperfectloaf.com/baking-with-steam-in-your-home-oven/

biggfoo fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 22, 2020

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
2 questions:

I'm trying to make starter and my first attempt turned extremely foul within 3 days. I'm 2 days into another try and it's already quite bubbly and starting to form liquid at the bottom quickly even after feeding, smell is not bad yet but it's quite yeast/winey. From what I've read it's only meant to bubble a bit after a couple days.

Also, I am making pizza dough with a 24 hour warm ferment but forgot about it and it's been out for probably 36ish hours, it's not toooo bad smelling but definitely has a pretty strong funk, is it gonna be weird to eat after another 2 days cold ferment in the fridge?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Once you over-ferment you're sorta done. Cook as quick as possible since it'll all be downhill.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Walrus posted:

2 questions:

I'm trying to make starter and my first attempt turned extremely foul within 3 days. I'm 2 days into another try and it's already quite bubbly and starting to form liquid at the bottom quickly even after feeding, smell is not bad yet but it's quite yeast/winey. From what I've read it's only meant to bubble a bit after a couple days.

Also, I am making pizza dough with a 24 hour warm ferment but forgot about it and it's been out for probably 36ish hours, it's not toooo bad smelling but definitely has a pretty strong funk, is it gonna be weird to eat after another 2 days cold ferment in the fridge?

If you can't cook it today, split it up and use it to leaven other dough.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I inherited some quarry/terracotta tiles + bakers peel and was going to try my first discard pizza dough on them (previous owner apprenticed in a bakery). Don't know if there is anything I should look out for with them?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 22, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

is sourdough pita worth pursuing? butcher had gyro meat from easter lambs

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Pita is poor peoples fast bread. I expect you can make something pita like from just about anything.

Why not try it? Google search turns up that a 60-65% hydration dough seems to be best for pitas so whip some up and see how it goes.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Once you over-ferment you're sorta done. Cook as quick as possible since it'll all be downhill.

thank you to you both, I'll make the pizza dough tonight and hope it's not too wonky.

any ideas on the over-active starter?

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I started a sourdough starter three weeks ago. I’ve been refreshing it ever twelve hours with a 1:1:1 flour, bottled water, starter ratio. I only have all purpose and bread flour, so that is what I’ve been using. I have been keeping it at about 85 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s really bubbly but it only rises about 25 or 30% over 12 hours. Is there anything I can do to make it ripen sooner or do I just need to be patient?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Staryberry posted:

I started a sourdough starter three weeks ago. I’ve been refreshing it ever twelve hours with a 1:1:1 flour, bottled water, starter ratio. I only have all purpose and bread flour, so that is what I’ve been using. I have been keeping it at about 85 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s really bubbly but it only rises about 25 or 30% over 12 hours. Is there anything I can do to make it ripen sooner or do I just need to be patient?

Throw some raisins in it? The last time I did a starter it kind of piddled along like you're describing, this time I used the raisin trick and it took off pretty quick.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tried baking a boule directly on a baking steel with a few small loaf trays of rolled-up towels with boiling water poured on them in the oven to create steam.

Turned out pretty ugly. Rose basically straight up in the oven and my score didn't turn out attractive at all. I assumed some kind of big air bubble was in there.

No "shine" at all and the bottom was totally charred from the baking steel heat (which seemed to be much worse than baking with my cast iron dutch oven).

But drat, that's a good crumb.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Throw some raisins in it? The last time I did a starter it kind of piddled along like you're describing, this time I used the raisin trick and it took off pretty quick.

I’m going grocery shopping tomorrow. I will pick up some raisins! Do I put them in every day until in gets going? Do I use the same raisins each day or new raisins?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

pita is always worth pursuing! make a dough, not too wet, roll them pretty flat and let them ferment for a good 15-20 minutes at least before you cook them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Staryberry posted:

I’m going grocery shopping tomorrow. I will pick up some raisins! Do I put them in every day until in gets going? Do I use the same raisins each day or new raisins?

I’ll let one of the experts here chime in if I’m really wrong becusee I’m new at this but I just tossed a handful on the bottom of a new starter I was making, made sure they were in contact with it, and then left them in when I did the toss/feed routine until it seemed like it was moving along at which point I picked them out. I think I removed them on day 4 or so?

You can also make yeast water with them. Throw a handful in a bit of water (not too much but enough that they have room to float eventually) and leave that sitting for a while. Eventually you’ll notice little air bubbles that float a bunch of the raisins, at which point it’s yeast water. It took mine about a week. I didn’t end up using it because my starter was going strong by then but I’ve read you can filter out the raisins and just mix it in with your daily feeding water to goose things a bit.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

very satisfied with the oven spring on today's bake. it's been warmer this week and i think my starter really likes it. the texture is a bit lighter than i want it to be though, so i think i'm going to start adding in whole wheat flour 10% at a time (currently using all AP) until i find the right balance.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My first starter is about 36 hours old and it’s starting to bubble and expand.

It’s allliiiiiiveee :science:

Edit: it doubled in size over the course of day 2. Is that much expansion this early normal? Day 1 was a cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of water. 24 hours later (this morning) I discarded half, added a cup of all purpose and 1/2 cup of water. It’s been 75-77 degrees in my kitchen all day.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 23, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I made spent grain bread.

It uses milk, egg, and butter. Do I need to do anything special to preserve it?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've been doing a cold-oven variant on Dutch oven baking. It works like a charm. Best crust I've ever had, great oven spring, and it means you can do the final rise in the Dutch oven, thus preserving as much loft as possible. I've done this two (three? Time has no meaning) weeks running and the results are wonderful.

https://foodbodsourdough.com/cold-oven-baking/

I have a question. The only flour I can find locally is whole wheat. How do I adjust the hydration in my sourdough loaves to compensate? I understand that bran tends to absorb water. For now I can do half and half bread flour and whole wheat, but my existing bag of bread flour won't last forever.

Tried this, absolutely solid technique. The bread came out with a very nice crumb and crust, way less hassle than using the cast iron pot.

On the flip side, it's probably a good idea to cut a baking sheet for the bottom/sides with this as mine stuck like hell to the enamel pot and was basically ruined trying to get it out :smith:

Effin tasty though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Parchment paper. Sorry, I forgot to mention that step. I don't cut it to shape, I just stuff it in, because I am lazy.

Well, I just had my first full-on failure; had to happen eventually. I was making Crust and Crumb's San Francisco sourdough, and I (unknowingly) overrose it last night. Went to the back fridge and the loaves had fallen; if I baked them, I'd get bricks. Ah, well, live and learn.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

My first starter is about 36 hours old and it’s starting to bubble and expand.

It’s allliiiiiiveee :science:

Edit: it doubled in size over the course of day 2. Is that much expansion this early normal? Day 1 was a cup of whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup of water. 24 hours later (this morning) I discarded half, added a cup of all purpose and 1/2 cup of water. It’s been 75-77 degrees in my kitchen all day.

that happened to me, day 3 it's very slack with some hooch on top. I'm on that step now. I think I need to just soldier on until the good yeast starts up.

Is it ok for my starter container to be airtight?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Walrus posted:

No. It produces a decent amount of CO2 so you want it to be loose enough for stuff to escape.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ShaneB posted:

No. It produces a decent amount of CO2 so you want it to be loose enough for stuff to escape.

if I'm not getting a pressure release opening can I assume its not actually airtight and that level of airflow is sufficient?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

What kind of container are you using? I use a quart delitainer and it blows the lid off with infrequent regularity. . I wouldn't want to use a cambro or certainly anything made of glass.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

take some cheesecloth and lay it over your vessel and tie it around with twine, then rest your lid on that. works like a charm for me in or out of the fridge, currently using a cleaned-out peanut butter jar to store it.

on a related note, how often do folks clean their starter's vessel? at first i was literally washing it with soap every time i fed it, then i started getting lazy and now i mostly just wipe down the rim with some water so the cheesecloth doesn't stick.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I used a glass jar with the lid placed loosely on top.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

therattle posted:

I used a glass jar with the lid placed loosely on top.

Same. I have a bunch of ball jars with plastic twist on lids I screw on loosly.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Focaccia made for our Italian neighbors., I had to cut the edges off to eat before handing it over... Of course

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The focaccia looks wonderful.

A friend of mine asked what I'd like for my birthday present and said he'd even visit stores for me. I told him not go to to multiple stores, but I would really really like some white flour. He phoned around, including to a couple of bakeries, hit Costco at the geezer's hour, and dropped off a 25-lb bag of their generic. Best. friend. ever. Also he says he has a line on a local market that may be selling bulk bakery flour in a few weeks, and he'll let me know.

So nice to be able to feed the sourdough or make multiple loaves without anxiously eyeing the remaining supply.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Walrus posted:

that happened to me, day 3 it's very slack with some hooch on top. I'm on that step now. I think I need to just soldier on until the good yeast starts up.

Ok cool. It’s being a lot more tame halfway into day 3, some expansion and the smell is changing.

I made the awful mistake of taking way too big a whiff this morning and I imprinted that smell on the front of my brain. I will never forget it. I am the smell now.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Wait until you take a big whiff of it when it gets more healthy and it feels like your carbonated your brain.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Would anyone happen to have a good recipe/technique for making hot dog and sandwich buns? Figured I’d try my hand at making my own during quarantine but I’ve never made “soft” bread before.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

King Arthur Flour has what looks like a sensible one.

I wish to complain. Last night I reached for a loaf of my bread to cut a slice, and I got a splinter in my finger that drew blood. I mean, really.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Has anybody experimented with the the tangzhong technique? It's where you cook some of the flour with liquid like you're making a roux paste before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. I only did it recently with some cinnamon rolls, and we were reheating them anyways. I may have gotten a little more time out of them regardless. I'm curious how well it has extended the life on your bread.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Has anybody experimented with the the tangzhong technique? It's where you cook some of the flour with liquid like you're making a roux paste before mixing it with the rest of the ingredients. I only did it recently with some cinnamon rolls, and we were reheating them anyways. I may have gotten a little more time out of them regardless. I'm curious how well it has extended the life on your bread.

I don’t have a ton of experience with it (used it twice and without a control group), but it’s good and easy to do.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

King Arthur Flour has what looks like a sensible

Thank you, I’ll give that a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
The raisins seem to be helping my starter. I hope to make bread next week. In the mean time, my four year old and I made herbed sourdough crackers with some of my discard!