Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bert Roberge posted:

I've been baking a bit more since the quarantine started.

Swedish saffron braided bread with vanilla cream filling.

Hokkaido milk rolls topped with garlic and herb butter.

Liquid Communism posted:

I wanted to use up my starter discard.

Sugared sourdough yeast doughnuts with fresh lemon curd.

This poo poo looks amazing, bakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

I don't gently caress with sourdough but I winged some dough this morning with a quick tangzhong to keep it soft and made rolls with an olive tapenade which has walnuts and a bunch of umami-laden pantry ingredients.

Turned out fluffier than I'd hoped especially given it's almost 50% whole wheat. This should keep my carb cravings in check at least for a lil while.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

This poo poo looks amazing, bakers.

No doubt. Some incredible-looking baked goods here!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This thread has been inspiring me latey. Everything posted looks amazing.

Can someone point me to a good intro read about sourdough? I haven’t the faintest about stuff like making and maintaining a starter.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Liquid Communism posted:

I wanted to use up my starter discard.

Sugared sourdough yeast doughnuts with fresh lemon curd.

Recipe. Please.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I want to make a dough that I can put some potato and cheese inside of and then bake. What's a recipe I should be looking at?

Ended up making Piroshkies.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rolo posted:

Can someone point me to a good intro read about sourdough? I haven’t the faintest about stuff like making and maintaining a starter.

This is what I was pointed to when I asked the same question last week and I just got my first edible sourdough out of it today :

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

(You don't have to use (and probably can't find) their branded flour, but it's good stuff.)

As an aside I threw some raisins in the bottom of the starter to help things along a bit with the yeast.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Rolo posted:

Here's another decent read on sourdough starter.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/10251/starting-starter-sourdough-101-tutorial

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

nwin posted:

Recipe. Please.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/yeast-raised-doughnuts-recipe

Remove 75g each milk and AP flour and yeast, replace with 150g sourdough starter (or discard). Could use more, but that was how much discard I had.

Lemon curd is lemon curd, eggs/lemon juice/zest/butter. Use jam if you prefer.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks, friendos!

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

75% hydration sourdough

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OK, sourdough question:

At what point in the feed -> rise -> collapse cycle of the starter is the best time to actually make the bread, assuming I want a strong sourdough flavor? I saw a bunch of stuff online about how you're supposed to do it at the peak of the rise, but the last sourdough I made came out not really tasting like sourdough.

On the other hand I want the yeast to be active enough that it won't just be a sour flatbread.

edit: also what temp are you all using? I'm following a 450 degree pre heated dutch oven thing I found online. 25 min in it with the lid on, 25 min with lid off, take out to cool. My crust is coming out really thick, though.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Cyrano4747 posted:

OK, sourdough question:

At what point in the feed -> rise -> collapse cycle of the starter is the best time to actually make the bread, assuming I want a strong sourdough flavor? I saw a bunch of stuff online about how you're supposed to do it at the peak of the rise, but the last sourdough I made came out not really tasting like sourdough.

On the other hand I want the yeast to be active enough that it won't just be a sour flatbread.

edit: also what temp are you all using? I'm following a 450 degree pre heated dutch oven thing I found online. 25 min in it with the lid on, 25 min with lid off, take out to cool. My crust is coming out really thick, though.

For the sourdough, I usually do one of two things: use it just before the peak after feeding (less sour) or directly from the fridge (more sour, very slow rise, sometimes I add like an eighth of a tsp of commercial yeast if I am impatient).

If you want thinner crust, try, adding fat and cook at a lower temperature.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

effika posted:

For the sourdough, I usually do one of two things: use it just before the peak after feeding (less sour) or directly from the fridge (more sour, very slow rise, sometimes I add like an eighth of a tsp of commercial yeast if I am impatient).

If you want thinner crust, try, adding fat and cook at a lower temperature.

How slow of a rise are you talking out of the fridge? Honestly something where I could make it and then leave it on the counter overnight until noon the next day would be kind of ideal.

And at what point in the fridge cycle? Are we talking after feeding or after it's been chilling out in there for a week, when you would normally feed again?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

How slow of a rise are you talking out of the fridge? Honestly something where I could make it and then leave it on the counter overnight until noon the next day would be kind of ideal.

And at what point in the fridge cycle? Are we talking after feeding or after it's been chilling out in there for a week, when you would normally feed again?

Slow-as-in 12-18hrs to rise, yes. So that may be just what you're looking for!

It's definitely hungry yeast-- anywhere from a day or two after feeding to a week.

Be sure your hungry starter isn't too much of the total flour weight if you want fluffy bread, though. The gluten's pretty far broken down by a week and it's not got great rise. (Still makes great sandwich bread as long as it is about 15% or less of the total flour!)

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Dangerllama posted:

I’ve never been able to find the recipe online but I have it memorized so here you go. This is probably getting a little far afield from “bread” so LMK if this doesn’t belong here:

ingredients:

- 10oz (2 cups) flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs. separated. Beat the egg whites until they have stiff peaks.
- 1.3 cups buttermilk
- 4tbsp butter, melted.
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 cup ice cold club soda

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg yolks and vanilla. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and mix. Then add the buttermilk mixture and combine. Next stir in the club soda, gently. This should make a lumpy mixture, it doesn’t need to be totally combined. Lastly, gently fold in the egg whites.

I have the whole process down to about 10-15 minutes. You can pre-mix the dry ingredients and keep them on hand to expedite the whole process.

FWIW the book itself is phenomenal, and I highly recommend it.

Oh, I misunderstood, I thought you had a different sourdough discard waffle recipe. This one sounds good, but I was looking for another discard recipe.

Thanks for the recipe though!

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
First levain bake with fresh-milled flour. It's full-extraction, which apparently means the crumb will be a little denser and won't rise as much. I followed a recipe on the mill's blog, which detailed a really short bulk rise (2.5 hours!). I think my production levain was a little too young, it probably could have given me a little more oomf if I had waited an hour longer than the recipe instructed, but I've not baked with firm starters that are, well, very firm. The crumb is dense, but springy when bitten into. It's delicious, nutty, way more flavor than I've ever experienced from King Arthur or Bob's. I'd love to try mixing it in with their flour, so that I can get some bigger toast slices.

Link to the recipe:
https://www.gristandtoll.com/sourdough-bread-formula/

Edit: cutting in deeper shows me that it's slightly underbaked! Next time, more mature on the starter, and longer bake in my rinky-dink oven.

Power Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 20, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone have good advice for how to add things to a sourdough boule? Seeds? Parmesan/black pepper!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I just discovered a bag of rye flour that expired in August 2017. It was completely unopened. It doesn’t smell or have bugs in it as far as I can tell. Still usable?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ShaneB posted:

Anyone have good advice for how to add things to a sourdough boule? Seeds? Parmesan/black pepper!

Mix them into your dough. If you want them on the outside an egg wash is easiest if you aren’t philosophically opposed to egg use.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

So I just discovered a bag of rye flour that expired in August 2017. It was completely unopened. It doesn’t smell or have bugs in it as far as I can tell. Still usable?

Yes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is what I was pointed to when I asked the same question last week and I just got my first edible sourdough out of it today :

As an aside I threw some raisins in the bottom of the starter to help things along a bit with the yeast.

Ok I’ve gone through these and I’m going to get going on a starter today. Thanks again for sharing. In the meantime, can someone recommend a good first time sourdough recipe I can start prepping for?

Edit: Thinking about this one.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/guides/sourdough/bake

Rolo fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 21, 2020

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

This isn’t really a recipie but for my dumb experiments I’ve just been using the process I had for my no knead Dutch oven bread with a basic sourdough dough mix I found online.

1c starter 1.75 c water 5c flour 1tbsp salt, mix, let that sit overnight to let the starter do its thing. I’ve halved all this most times to avoid making huge loafs of failure. Then I toss the Dutch oven in at 450 to pre hear, carefully slop the dough onto some parchment paper trying to deflate it as little as possible, throw that in the hot Dutch oven. 25 min with the lid on 25 with the lid off, let cool.

What comes out is technically bread. I’m sure this is ten different types of wrong and I’m going to get more serious about making it right so it comes out fluffy etc but for just troubleshooting your starter and figuring out how long the dough needs to rise depending on how long after feeding the starter is etc it’s simple and makes something fast and edible to see where the taste is.

Like, 100% let the actual bread knowledgeable people tell you what to do but I’ve been doing the same “how u mine sourdough?” learning process and I’ve found this works for prototyping dough and starter poo poo rapidly.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Like here’s my most recent ugly prototype loaf.

Tastes . . . Ok. Want it a bit more sour. Not sure if I need to let the starter sit longer after feeding or use more or maybe let the dough sit longer before baking. This was maybe a day after feeding and sitting on the counter and then about 12 hours of the dough doing it’s thing.

Inside was ok. Nice and spongy, if a bit dense. I think I deflated it moving containers so whatever. I’ll worry about that once i get the taste where I want.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I've been baking way more than usual while working from home, which is good. Made some sourdough.

I have determined that I get the best bottom crust in my non-enameled dutch oven and the best top crust in an enameled one. Or maybe my oven is just that unreliable (although the oven thermometer is pretty much always spot on...)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

For seeds you want to soak them in water overnight so they soften and don't suck all the moisture out of your dough.

Steel cut oats can be treated the same way and added to the dough it'll add a little extra texture to the finished bread and a slightly nutty flavor. Goes well with breads with fruits and nuts like a cranberry walnut bread or whatever.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

Tastes . . . Ok. Want it a bit more sour. Not sure if I need to let the starter sit longer after feeding or use more or maybe let the dough sit longer before baking. This was maybe a day after feeding and sitting on the counter and then about 12 hours of the dough doing it’s thing.

Inside was ok. Nice and spongy, if a bit dense. I think I deflated it moving containers so whatever. I’ll worry about that once i get the taste where I want.

If you want more "sour" you can do a longer cold proof in the fridge but there are potential issues there. I personally don't really know what people are expecting from sourdough, because nearly no real sourdough from legit bakeries (that I've had at least) is like "sour" sour.

My pizza dough is noticeably different on day 1 vs day 2. Try a longer cold proof and see how you like it. Do an 1800g batch, split into 2 loaves, bake 1 after 16 hours and another after some other length of time you want to test.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Are you doing two shapings or one?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

ShaneB posted:

If you want more "sour" you can do a longer cold proof in the fridge but there are potential issues there. I personally don't really know what people are expecting from sourdough, because nearly no real sourdough from legit bakeries (that I've had at least) is like "sour" sour.

My pizza dough is noticeably different on day 1 vs day 2. Try a longer cold proof and see how you like it. Do an 1800g batch, split into 2 loaves, bake 1 after 16 hours and another after some other length of time you want to test.

Eh not super sour but at not bland. My first ones basically just tasted like your standard commercial yeast bread. I’ve had plenty of real sourdough so I know what ballpark I’m angling after, just haven’t hit it yet.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Are you doing two shapings or one?

Just the one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've been doing a cold-oven variant on Dutch oven baking. It works like a charm. Best crust I've ever had, great oven spring, and it means you can do the final rise in the Dutch oven, thus preserving as much loft as possible. I've done this two (three? Time has no meaning) weeks running and the results are wonderful.

https://foodbodsourdough.com/cold-oven-baking/

quote:

put the dough into the cold baking vessel and score;

put the pot with the dough in into the cold oven;

turn the oven on, turn the heat up to 220C/425F fan/convection or 230C/450F non fan/convention.

Total time in the oven 55-60 mins.

Lid on the entire time.

I have a question. The only flour I can find locally is whole wheat. How do I adjust the hydration in my sourdough loaves to compensate? I understand that bran tends to absorb water. For now I can do half and half bread flour and whole wheat, but my existing bag of bread flour won't last forever.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ShaneB posted:

Long cold ferments plus a starter that lives in the fridge will give quite a lot of sour flavour, certainly to a very noticeable extent over traditional bread.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh not super sour but at not bland. My first ones basically just tasted like your standard commercial yeast bread. I’ve had plenty of real sourdough so I know what ballpark I’m angling after, just haven’t hit it yet.

Are you aiming for San Francisco sourdough sour? 'Sour' dough is in some ways a misnomer as the goal often isn't to make bread that tastes sour. Acetic acid gives the bread that vinegary 'sour' flavor, while lactic acid gives the bread a more milky/buttery flavor. Unless you're using a recipe specifically aimed at making SF style sourdough, the recipe is probably aiming to make a more lactic acid dominate starter.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Splinter posted:

Are you aiming for San Francisco sourdough sour? 'Sour' dough is in some ways a misnomer as the goal often isn't to make bread that tastes sour. Acetic acid gives the bread that vinegary 'sour' flavor, while lactic acid gives the bread a more milky/buttery flavor. Unless you're using a recipe specifically aimed at making SF style sourdough, the recipe is probably aiming to make a more lactic acid dominate starter.

Huh. So what’s the fix then?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Huh. So what’s the fix then?

Higher hydration and warmer temperatures lead to to more lactic acid production, so if you want more acetic acid, try lowering your starter hydration and/or lowering fermentation temperature (FWSY specifies "colder" as 55-65 F, but incorporating the fridge as others mentioned is also an option if you don't have that sort of control over your room temperature).

e: There are other variables you can play with as well, such as the type of flour (or flour blend) you use for your starter, feeding schedule, etc.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 21, 2020

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Anyone having luck getting flour at the store? I'm in the DC area and can't find anything anywhere. I'm a loaf of bread and a batch of bagels from running out completely, which means I won't get any use out of this sourdough starter I'm starting. I know I can get a 50lb bag from Baldor, but my SO isn't thrilled about storing that and the $250 minimum order fee makes it difficult.

Also, if anyone is having issues getting their starter started, one place to look at is your water. Mine spent two weeks being a puddle - not wrong, but not right, basically no growth, just kind of sitting there. I suspected our tap water and switched to bottled and now I'm getting a ton of activity. Makes me start thinking about buying a water filter, though.

Finally, any thoughts on putting the bread on a hot stone and setting the preheated dutch oven over top of it, instead of dropping it down inside? Or am I overthinking how likely I am to deflate the bread or burn myself while dropping it into the pot?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m finding more flour now than any point during the crisis. Amazon has a few options for 5-25lb bags and my local bakeries are selling 5lb bags.

Local grocery stores mostly have all purpose, finding something like King Arthur whole wheat takes a little bit of luck.

E: I’m in NC but I imagine we’re close enough for the Amazon option to work.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 21, 2020

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

you ate my cat posted:

Anyone having luck getting flour at the store? I'm in the DC area and can't find anything anywhere. I'm a loaf of bread and a batch of bagels from running out completely, which means I won't get any use out of this sourdough starter I'm starting. I know I can get a 50lb bag from Baldor, but my SO isn't thrilled about storing that and the $250 minimum order fee makes it difficult.

Also, if anyone is having issues getting their starter started, one place to look at is your water. Mine spent two weeks being a puddle - not wrong, but not right, basically no growth, just kind of sitting there. I suspected our tap water and switched to bottled and now I'm getting a ton of activity. Makes me start thinking about buying a water filter, though.

Do you have access to Costco? There were literal tons there when I went like 5 days ago. If you bake at any volume you can likely save enough from the $6 25# bags of bread flour to make up the $50 membership cost alone.

Also get a water report from your city. If it has Chlorine, letting it sit out overnight should dissipate it. If it has Chloramines, you are gonna need a good filter. Honestly a Brita doesn't really take care of them, it has to go through much more media. I have a whole-house filter I installed this year because our city pipes are trash, and it's been incredible.

My water has Chloramines and honestly my starter did fine with it, oddly. YMMV.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
6$ for a 25lb bag trumps anything I can find by a lot. If I had a bigger pantry I’d be on that.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I bought a 25 pound bag at a DC area costco just last week. There's a shitton in there. The $6 bag is some bleached flour I don't remember, and they've got a $12 bag of unbleached King Arthur.

edit: but yeah, good loving luck at normal grocery stores. I asked one of the guys working at the aldi when the flour showed up and he said monday morning but recommended I get there at opening because it just flies out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've been doing a cold-oven variant on Dutch oven baking. It works like a charm. Best crust I've ever had, great oven spring, and it means you can do the final rise in the Dutch oven, thus preserving as much loft as possible. I've done this two (three? Time has no meaning) weeks running and the results are wonderful.

https://foodbodsourdough.com/cold-oven-baking/

I have a question. The only flour I can find locally is whole wheat. How do I adjust the hydration in my sourdough loaves to compensate? I understand that bran tends to absorb water. For now I can do half and half bread flour and whole wheat, but my existing bag of bread flour won't last forever.

I bake almost exclusively whole wheat (and majority whole wheat) bread these days and I think I up the hydration about 5% for it to feel close enough to the equivalent white flour hydration?

Play around a little bit with it to get it where you want. Do give the dough like 20m to absorb the water before deciding to add more since the bran can take longer to soak it all up.