Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

my country, that's trying to run elections because the populist right wing party is slated to win, is running firefighting efforts through crowdfunding. jesus wept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Lote posted:

Nicotine patches aren’t gonna be tolerated by almost 100% of people for Covid treatment. You have to wear the nicotine patch at night and 99% of people that do that have nightmares.

The 1% that tolerate nicotine patches like the nightmares :iiam:

an extremely slow living nightmare during the day or one that's at least probably way more colorful while sleeping during the night :hmmyes:

rump buttman
Feb 14, 2018

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

this is terrible news

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lote posted:

Nicotine patches aren’t gonna be tolerated by almost 100% of people for Covid treatment. You have to wear the nicotine patch at night and 99% of people that do that have nightmares.

Most smokers don't smoke in their sleep and they still get good protection from Rona during the day. So some smoking is better than no smoking at all. This has a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine. France has moved mountains - Thank You!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Please superimpose this to the veggie cat meme

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Lote posted:

weird, i dont understand how it would help in treatment since it's a vasoconstrictor and raises blood pressure/heart rate. does it somehow offset the inflammation caused by covid?

i wonder if its the stimulant effect, reduced blood flow or increased blood pressure that causes the nightmares?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Bulgakov posted:

an extremely slow living nightmare during the day or one that's at least probably way more colorful while sleeping during the night :hmmyes:

lol im stuck on the idea that there are idiots like me that have avoided smoking specifically so they didn't die from respiratory illness and just walked right into this trap

i already have nightmares, whats a few more?

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

anyone else get some covid toes? after visiting a friend in florida before things went crazy, my one toe turned purple and was really itchy. i thought it was a weird poison ivy rash, but i still have remnants of it a month later.

https://www.10tv.com/article/what-are-covid-toes-new-skin-condition-possibly-linked-coronavirus-2020-apr

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

weird, i dont understand how it would help in treatment since it's a vasoconstrictor and raises blood pressure/heart rate. does it somehow offset the inflammation caused by covid?

i wonder if its the stimulant effect, reduced blood flow or increased blood pressure that causes the nightmares?

the idea is twofold: first, it's a depressant of immune system response which can have an effect on how the whole thing works with your system going haywire. In addition, nicotine binds to very specific receptors and it's possible it preferentially binds to ACE2 and other receptors the virus uses. This means the virus has trouble getting to bind and reproduce itself, lessening the response and allowing the immune system more time to fight off the infection.

It's just a hypothesis.

dex_sda has issued a correction as of 14:49 on Apr 23, 2020

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Why do all female US Republican governors I see look psychotic? Is there a normal looking one?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thats a lot of hair dye

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

Why do all female US Republican governors I see look psychotic? Is there a normal looking one?

Heard joke once: Woman goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, 'Treatment is simple. The Manager is responsible. Go and see him and complain. That should pick you up.' Woman bursts into tears. Says, 'But doctor…I am the Manager.'

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Helith posted:

Were they suddenly silenced, would you say?

idk i wake myself up yelling constantly

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

nicotine patch dreams are not solely nightmares, they are just intensely vivid dreams. it’s a real good time, and it’s probably 100% more intense for someone who hasn’t had their brain fried by nicotine for a decade.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

limaCAT posted:

Please superimpose this to the veggie cat meme

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Tag yourself.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

GABA ghoul posted:

The GOP base is a death cult that thinks women shouldn't be in positions of authority so when a female candidate breaks through they have to be extra fanatical so they can get the votes of the people who want them to stay in the kitchen

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Rauros posted:

anyone else get some covid toes? after visiting a friend in florida before things went crazy, my one toe turned purple and was really itchy. i thought it was a weird poison ivy rash, but i still have remnants of it a month later.

https://www.10tv.com/article/what-are-covid-toes-new-skin-condition-possibly-linked-coronavirus-2020-apr

pee on your feet

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Rich white women in a battle of the sexes with rich white men to see who can rack up the largest body count

The fellas got a big head start but the ladies are determined and getting results

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Bert Roberge posted:

Tag yourself.

Imogen

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 15:05 on Apr 23, 2020

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Bert Roberge posted:

Tag yourself.

Clarissa with a touch of Fey

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Bert Roberge posted:

Tag yourself.

euphronia

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

wife saw this on her own timeline and yelled "you're Euphronia" at me

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I'm pretty sure I'm Fey.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Rauros posted:

Oh my God. I've had this exact thing for about a week now. Last week it was really bad, they burned like I had poison ivy, I couldn't wear socks, but it didn't look like anything other than frost-nip, which had not happened. There's still discoloration on them as I type but the pain has gone down. They have a dull itch occasionally now, but other than that, I thought it was clearing up.

Guess I should leave a message with my Doctor.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Bert Roberge posted:

Tag yourself.

I'm somewhere between Fannie and Fey, myself.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

That's dumb she might have had a salon appointment set the day after lockdown started

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

If you're running out of things to cook, here is some excellent advice:

https://twitter.com/Chase__Chase/status/1252340176254144524

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Outlaw haircuts

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

rime thought china would destabilize due to food disruption, he failed to predict the US consumption would be so destabilized that china would inadvertently save US farmers from mulching their unsellable food

that's a lol

that’s a lot like 450+ Panamax loads at typical discharge draft limit restrictions in the Chinese ports. they don’t normally buy corn either. it means they can’t get all the soy they want. it’s going to take them at least six months to get I’d bet.

that 27,000,000 million people are going to starve article I posted... this will make that worse... mostly in Africa and the Middle East.

it is also the nail in the coffin of any argument that they aren’t dependent on us ag.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So not saying poo poo ain’t hosed but remember that Iceland has tested basically 18% of their country and are running a 0.6% CFR give or take. I think that’s noteworthy.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I peeked at the residency group chat 15 minutes ago, read how the program director's Zoom presentation today was on "COVID toes and conjunctivitis" and just assumed it was a typo.

There's going to be a semester long class on COVID alone in medical schools after this is done.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Plank Walker posted:

Heard joke once: Woman goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, 'Treatment is simple. The Manager is responsible. Go and see him and complain. That should pick you up.' Woman bursts into tears. Says, 'But doctor…I am the Manager.'

it's so good to not be in control if your own destiny then! Oh wait :(

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Bert Roberge posted:

Tag yourself.

as normal I don't fit in so I'm a bit between Imogen and Clarissa with a little Fannie

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

Oh my God. I've had this exact thing for about a week now. Last week it was really bad, they burned like I had poison ivy, I couldn't wear socks, but it didn't look like anything other than frost-nip, which had not happened. There's still discoloration on them as I type but the pain has gone down. They have a dull itch occasionally now, but other than that, I thought it was clearing up.

Guess I should leave a message with my Doctor.

So is this blood coagulating in your toes?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Tennessean/status/1253333286899773442

quote:

Nashville announces phased reopening
Officials released a four-part reopening plan for Nashville Thursday, that would require 14-days of decline or flat cases of COVID-19 before moving forward with each phase.

Phase one would begin with commercial and retail businesses, including restaurants. Facilities will have to:

Operate at half capacity.
Screen daily all employees.
Clean facilities and set explicit guidelines to maintain hygiene and wearing of face coverings for employees and patrons.
Bar areas to remain closed, as well as live music.
Self-service and shared condiments are not allowed.

Phase two would bring back online, with the previous requirements still in place:
Some elective and scheduled medicalactivities.
Salons and tattoo businesses.
Small gatherings of 50 or fewer people.
Playgrounds and baseball courts will reopen.
Facilities including restaurants may increase to 3/4 capacity.

In phase three:
All elective outpatient and inpatient healthcare activities may proceed.
Restaurants and other commercial businesses may open at full capacity while maintaining physical distancing.
Bars areas at restaurants may open at half capacity and live music will be permitted.
All remaining bars, entertainment and cultural venues may open at half capacity, including museum, tours, attractions, and movie theaters.
Gyms and personal hygiene businesses may reopen.
Gatherings of 100 or fewer people will be allowed.
Non residential K-12 school will reopen.

In phase four:
Working from home will be optional and use of face coverings will be optional.
All bars and entertainment venues can open at full capacity.
Sports and live performance venues will reopen for greater than 100 people.

Mayor John Cooper said officials will constantly be determining when it will be safe to reopen looking at key benchmarks: a decline in caes over a 14-day period, adequate testing and PPE capacity in the region, and a robust public health infrastructure to conduct contact tracing cases.

“Today's discussion is to get us ready for reopening when these four tests are met. That's why everyone must continue to remain at home whenever possible,” Cooper said. “

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Vishass posted:

wife saw this on her own timeline and yelled "you're Euphronia" at me

BLAMMO direct hit, gottem

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Bert Roberge posted:

Tag yourself.

Combo of Fey and Euphronia

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://www.cnn.com/webview/us/live-news/us-coronavirus-update-04-23-20/h_ab0581e4d016f38cc277c8a10f50360d

quote:

Reopening businesses that “pose very little risk” may be appropriate, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer said Thursday.

Yesterday, Whitmer announced that she is evaluating the state’s stay-at-home order after receiving the latest data on coronavirus in Michigan.

She did not offer any details on which businesses could be reopened, but said she’s keeping certain questions in mind as she makes the assessment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

I love this, I love you