Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Closing is tomorrow, and they are restricting closings to just essential personnel, so our realtor won't be able to be there, but has offered to do a video call while we do it. How important/helpful is it to be able to talk to the realtor during closing?

My bigger concern is that many of the chains doing promotions are also restricting themselves to doorstep delivery and explicitly say that they don't go inside customer's homes. And when I called at least they said that "doorstep" is for the building, not the condo itself, and I really don't want to have to deal with dragging a washer and dryer from the front of the building into my 8th floor Condo. Not a terribly big deal, but I am willing to eat a couple hundred bucks difference not to have to schedule additional stuff or figure out additional stuff at the end of the semester.

Your realtor can be reached by phone if somehow they have hosed things up enough that you're about to torpedo the deal during closing. Or they could be useful and stand around at the house doing final walk through constantly.

Ask if you can do a store pickup, call a plumber and ask if they will pickup the stuff from home depot, schlep it up stairs, and install it. They probably have a truck, or ask the store to throw in an hour of truck rental. They won't but you can ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Thanks for the replies.
Meanwhile, just got the dreaded email for last day employment verification where they cant reach anyone at my university to verify it. Luckily they accepted talking to my dept head instead.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

It's really expensive to be poor.

It's pretty wild. I'm paying slightly more on my mortgage for a 3 bedroom 1600 sqft townhome with a 2 car garage than I did for a 1 bedroom ~600 sqft apartment in the same city (different neighborhood). Owning a home is awesome and I do not miss renting one bit, it's really not a big month to month increase in expenses. The biggest hurdle is down payment and closing costs which is understandably a huge issue for most people.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

It's really expensive to be poor.

I am a college professor and love my job and my job security. But if there is one big thing that is terrible about this life is that, being a poor grad student for so long, I was only able to afford to buy a home now. At my price range, had I been able to buy 10 years ago the amount I would have saved in rent and gained in equity would have easily passed 6 digits, even if I consider some pretty extensive maintenance expenditures. Granted, that is because I am in a "hot" area (the place I just paid 345 for went for 250 in 2010), but it is still incredible. In the same period, my rent nearly doubled.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 21, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

joepinetree posted:

I am a college professor and love my job and my job security. But if there is one big thing that is terrible about this life is that, being a poor grad student for so long, I was only able to afford to buy a home now. At my price range, had I been able to buy 10 years ago the amount I would have saved in rent and gained in equity would have easily passed 6 digits, even if I consider some pretty extensive maintenance expenditures. Granted, that is because I am in a "hot" area (the place I just paid 345 for went for 250 in 2010), but it is still incredibly. In the same period, my rent nearly doubled.

It's sad but true, my boyfriend is a professor and the same age as me, I have no degree but make way more than him because I bought my first home dirt cheap in 2008 and just kept upgrading to a better house and compounding rental income from the previous ones. But don't forget that if you or I bought a place in 2007 we'd have gotten our poo poo wrecked. More risk, more reward. Job security has value too, however; the housing market is getting volatile right now, but my boyfriend is getting more grant money than ever now that people are taking disease research seriously again. Meanwhile in IT land we all got hit with a paycut to avoid layoffs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Was asked to sign a "covid 19 attestation" form today

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Popete posted:

Owning a home is awesome and I do not miss renting one bit, it's really not a big month to month increase in expenses. The biggest hurdle is down payment and closing costs which is understandably a huge issue for most people.
I agree, and not to be a downer but don’t let it slip your mind that things like roofs, furnaces, hot water heaters, driveways and sidewalks, and sometimes windows have a finite life span.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I agree, and not to be a downer but don’t let it slip your mind that things like roofs, furnaces, hot water heaters, driveways and sidewalks, and sometimes windows have a finite life span.

Yeah that's definetly the flip side. My place is a townhome with an HOA so anything outside including roof is not directly coming out of my pocket (it's included in the fees obviously). When I bought this place last July the water heater and furnace are nearing the end of life so I'll have that to look forward to coming up soon but other than that I've not had any big issues so far. Small things that I've been able to fix myself and then there are the expenses of buying more expensive and permanent furniture, painting, tools for home repair etc.

It's just when you sit down and think about it, I'm paying only slightly more per month to own this place than I was to rent an apartment 1/3 the size and which I was getting no equity.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 21, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Refinance chat: I found a lender (Sebonic) through Zillow on 3/24, had an appraiser come out the following week, did all my paperwork, and now I check their online portal every day for a closing update. Closing was originally scheduled for May 4 but it got moved to 4/27 when I signed my closing disclosure late last week. I'm now in the part of the deal where they don't say anything except requesting a final, random piece of paperwork that could torpedo the deal. Reading the past few pages of this thread was probably a bad idea.

Interest rate is locked at 3.25 and coming from 4.875 it's a pretty significant savings a month. Also, for some reason in the documents I signed had the settlement agent 100 miles away but I don't know if that's where I have to go to sign stuff or if they're going to use Fedex or a local person. This is my first refinance and my first time using an online lender. :confused:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I can only imagine how many people are just initialing every box of that without reading carefully

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My gf is the only one on the mortgage.. she works in the hotel industry, very glad we didn't have one of these to fill out 20 days ago becuase we'd have needed to add me to the mortgage

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Popete posted:

Yeah that's definetly the flip side. My place is a townhome with an HOA so anything outside including roof is not directly coming out of my pocket (it's included in the fees obviously). When I bought this place last July the water heater and furnace are nearing the end of life so I'll have that to look forward to coming up soon but other than that I've not had any big issues so far. Small things that I've been able to fix myself and then there are the expenses of buying more expensive and permanent furniture, painting, tools for home repair etc.

It's just when you sit down and think about it, I'm paying only slightly more per month to own this place than I was to rent an apartment 1/3 the size and which I was getting no equity.

Did you investigate if your HOA has ever had special assessments? I never dealt with one in my 10 years of condo living, but they doubled fees from when I moved in to cover reroofing early (failed shingles) and to cover a paving project.

The condo my grandparents lived in had several special assessments, but kept the fees lower. They had an issue under a foundation (sinkhole or something, I can't remember what the actual cause was) and causing a very expensive repair which hit every unit for a few thousand dollars.

It's just something to keep in mind. I would imagine most HOAs have the power to levy special assessments for such situations. Paying the fee doesn't mean you're in the clear for some of this stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rujasu posted:

I can only imagine how many people are just initialing every box of that without reading carefully

Took us three attempts to not check the red "do not initial this if everything is fine" line for both parties!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Did you investigate if your HOA has ever had special assessments? I never dealt with one in my 10 years of condo living, but they doubled fees from when I moved in to cover reroofing early (failed shingles) and to cover a paving project.

The condo my grandparents lived in had several special assessments, but kept the fees lower. They had an issue under a foundation (sinkhole or something, I can't remember what the actual cause was) and causing a very expensive repair which hit every unit for a few thousand dollars.

It's just something to keep in mind. I would imagine most HOAs have the power to levy special assessments for such situations. Paying the fee doesn't mean you're in the clear for some of this stuff.

They've never had a special assessment before.

I reviewed the meeting minutes prior to purchase and there wasn't much there. There was an investigation into replacing the roof as it was nearing EOL. I inquired about this but there wasn't a lot of info. Shortly after moving in we had our annual meeting where it was discussed again and it's still being looked into, it's not an immediate need so they've been shopping around determining if they wanna go with the long term or short term options and hoping for more favourable material prices. Either option it sounds like there won't need to be a special assessment as the budget is looking pretty good.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Hadlock posted:

I’d definitely mistakenly initial in that one spot I’m not supposed to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's also worded ambiguously. Should you initial the red line if
A) you were not able to certify any of the ones above, e.g., you left all of them blank
B) you were not able to certify any one of the ones above, e.g. you left one or more blank

It's worded like A, but they almost definitely meant B. Probably.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently they are working out how to get us the docs to sign tomorrow, so that's neat. Still assuming they're lying to me until that guy shows up and can fog glass, no timeline has been met yet

Popete posted:

Either option it sounds like there won't need to be a special assessment as the budget is looking pretty good.

I'm new to this, but my general understanding is that if your HOA is ~60% funded or better, generally you don't need a special assessment ever, unless there's an earthquake that causes a fire in the elevator shaft, while the bottom stories also simultaneously get flooded

My building has both a HOA and a COA (commerical owners association) as we have more than one street level retail, should be interesting if this goes through.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
During our owners meeting they specifically addressed never having a special assessment in the past and they do not want to do it if it can be avoided because it scares buyers away if anyone is trying to sell.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm in escrow right now to buy and the COVID stuff has definitely made it difficult in CA. At first, I just had to sign a form stating only 2 + my agent in the house. Now I guess the seller has to sign this form as well for any entry. So, any inspector has to sign this form as well as the sellers. It's a huge bummer (albeit understandable) because I have a handful of kids that are super excited about our new house, but can only see pictures of it.

The listing agent made the mistake of telling my agent that the sellers can't afford 2 payments at once :lol:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Our notary arrived today

Apparently you can't just wire five/six figures worth of funds without warning over the phone! Who knew

So pro tip, if you are planning on wiring money, and all the banks in your city are shut down due to shelter in place, plan on scheduling a meeting to up your maximum "remote wire" to slightly more than you're planning to wire, rather than waiting an extra day to go into the bank

Apparently one doc did not get signed and it requires a "wet signature" and nobody in TYOOL 2020 has a printer at home so a courier is coming by for us to sign a 2 page document

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Apparently you can't just wire five/six figures worth of funds without warning over the phone! Who knew

Huh, I am planning to do just this within a month. Thanks.
Although, my bank is an online bank and I call them to wire anyway.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Closed today. Sellers signed a different day, it was just us and the closing attorney, with our realtor conference called in. Closing costs were about 4k under what we expected. We own for the first time in our lives.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Congrats! Now the pain begins... all the moving and unpacking poo poo. Then the superpain.

Word of advice, of you want to paint or need some kind of repairwork done (new flooring, maybe a feature wall in the living room, ceiling fan swapped out), now's the time to do it.

If you don't already know, learn some basic electrical and plumbing skills. Comes in real handy.

VvV
:hmmyes:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 23, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Give your garage floor a Rustoleum epoxy coating before you stack all your boxes and poo poo in there!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's a condo, so a lot of those concerns are out of my hands. My wife wants to do some pretty extensive bathroom and kitchen renovations some day, but it will be a while before we can afford it. So for now it's just getting new appliances (except maybe the wall over, which we might fix because it is a weird dimension and I don't want to have to worry about cutting to fit a new one right now.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

joepinetree posted:

It's a condo, so a lot of those concerns are out of my hands. My wife wants to do some pretty extensive bathroom and kitchen renovations some day, but it will be a while before we can afford it. So for now it's just getting new appliances (except maybe the wall over, which we might fix because it is a weird dimension and I don't want to have to worry about cutting to fit a new one right now.
Prediction: You will do the renovations in order to sell your condo at the advice of your real estate agent. You will pay for it, but never use it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I'm going to get about $300,000 dollars from the sale of my house that I won't need to immediately spend. Am I better off with a Wire or a check from the buyers Title company?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Dik Hz posted:

Prediction: You will do the renovations in order to sell your condo at the advice of your real estate agent. You will pay for it, but never use it.

We've been told this several times, so she's already telling me this wont fly.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
If we wanted to find someone to help us figure out how much house we can afford, help us navigate all the different first time homebuyer programs that are available, direct us to good lenders in our area, etc. would an exclusive buyers agent be the route to go?

We're finally getting to a good point where we're thinking we're in a good position to finally buy within the next year, but have absolutely no idea where to begin. Like, if we needed someone to hold our hands through the whole process and has our best interest in mind, would that be an exclusive buyers agent?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BAE OF PIGS posted:

If we wanted to find someone to help us figure out how much house we can afford, help us navigate all the different first time homebuyer programs that are available, direct us to good lenders in our area, etc. would an exclusive buyers agent be the route to go?

We're finally getting to a good point where we're thinking we're in a good position to finally buy within the next year, but have absolutely no idea where to begin. Like, if we needed someone to hold our hands through the whole process and has our best interest in mind, would that be an exclusive buyers agent?

A real estate agent and a loan officer will be happy to hold your hand and explain your options. If you're asking who will help you make responsible choices, I don't know. The bank and the real estate agent might very well encourage you to make irresponsible or even reckless decisions. Maybe some are better than others in that regard. I bet you could find out by asking the right questions when you interview them.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Find a nonprofit near you that has first time home buyer classes. In NH, we have NHHFA and CATCH that offer these sorts of classes for free. They do not have a financial interest in you spending as much money as possible.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Yeah, that's something we plan on doing, both for the help we need with figuring out what to do, and also as it's a precondition for most programs that I'm noticed.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Find a nonprofit near you that has first time home buyer classes. In NH, we have NHHFA and CATCH that offer these sorts of classes for free. They do not have a financial interest in you spending as much money as possible.

Not that you shouldn't take the class, but don't expect it to fully equip you. The one here they said "oh the seller pays all the realtor fees, so that's free to you, yay!" Which is not a very responsible way to portray that part of the deal.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Epitope posted:

Not that you shouldn't take the class, but don't expect it to fully equip you. The one here they said "oh the seller pays all the realtor fees, so that's free to you, yay!" Which is not a very responsible way to portray that part of the deal.

That's true. I never took the class, I just knew someone at the organization so I was familiar with the availability of the classes. They will still do a better job giving you the tools to figure out what you should spend, compared to pretty much anyone else in the process that has a vested interest in you spending as much as possible (or more!).

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

daslog posted:

I'm going to get about $300,000 dollars from the sale of my house that I won't need to immediately spend. Am I better off with a Wire or a check from the buyers Title company?
Ask your attorney. They probably have a preferred way of doing it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Is the standard for that kind of money not small unmarked bills?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We wired our money this morning, everyone said it would take at least a day for wire to complete. We both wired before 11am and the escrow company confirmed the wire well before 1pm so who the hell knows why it would take a day or more. I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone except the price of the property, and even that had a magic 0.5% neighborhood redevelopment fee that wasn't disclosed for the first two weeks.

Real estate people either don't like answering the same 20 questions, or they are the least detail oriented people I've ever met. If they don't like answering the same 20 questions maybe put out a FAQ or tracker or whatever. Seems like there are the real estate paper pushers, and then there's the lawyers who handle the details, and nary the two should ever meet.

My takeaway from all this is that there are no hidden details, it's just that the people doing all these loans are super non-technical, they are not detail oriented, and their eyes glaze over at the thought of actually reading through all of the documents, and would rather call them "hidden" or "undisclosed" rather than do their jobs. There's no reason why this process needs to be so drat convoluted.

Most of the closing stuff I've read are terrible buzzfeed articles by starving journalism students in school with no direct insight to the process, regurgitating the same "top 10 hints to closing" or whatever. I'm looking forward to filtering through all my emails and condensing down the actual events and posting it online as a sort of road map for others. 99% of our stuff was through email, the other 1% was text messages with the buyers agent. Hopefully this will make the process look slightly less opaque. At no point in the last 60 days did anyone take any time or make any attempt to make this process look less opaque despite continuous (polite) demands for clarity.

Oh, and we totally waived our buyer's title insurance. It is new construction on top of an old railroad yard with only one previous owner, who has been unmarried (that I can tell) the entire time he owned the property, and he's still alive, with no kids. I don't think the railroad company is gonna come after us on the title to a condo in a larger building after 16 years. Gonna roll that $3000 towards a new couch, reef aquarium, or whatever.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 23, 2020

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
realtors are car salesman who are smarter than car salesman at conning you.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BAE OF PIGS posted:

If we wanted to find someone to help us figure out how much house we can afford

Thinking about this more, do you mean like a financial planner? Someone who will sit down with you and your partner and discuss your goals and budget and retirement plan etc? A realtor or loan officer is for sure not a good option there. Like ^^^^ that guys says, they're just gonna get you in a house, whether it's good for your goals or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, the difficult thing is you say "i pay 1800 for rent, I could do 2100 for a mortgagehouse!"

And then you remember you're now on the hook for water (or an HOA fee), or the roof needs replacement in 8 years, or you need a washing machine now, or you forgot the sale triggers a reassessment of the tax rate so there's a "surprise" $3500 you need to cover or insurance doesn't include earthquake and. . .

You definitely need more in savings than what you're putting for the down, and trying to square that with what you expect to pay can be tough.