Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
There was some discussion of Veilwraith awhile back, the new Kickstarter from the Gloom of Kilforth developer (and which seems to be reusing a lot of its art assets, at least in prototype). If anyone is still on the fence about it, Ricky Royal put out a pretty good gameplay video of the prototype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPQfFK1F5Mk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Shane Hensley absolutely doesn’t understand why people are mad about the Confederates or care. If he did, he wouldn’t have required a literal metaplot-based retcon played out over years to get rid if the Confederacy.

Don’t give him your money, get Haunted West instead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NGDBSS posted:

He was a big name in Gamergate and might be the person who first used the corresponding hashtag. "Milkshake duck" is an understatement.

I believe proto-GG even went to him specifically because he was geek-adjacent and a known chud already.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I too am of the 'haven't watched Firefly in like a decade and that's probably for the best' camp. I still really have a soft spot for 'space series where you have a small, junky ship flying around' like Firefly or Cowboy Bebop and I don't want it spoiled by Retroactive Whedon Reality Recognition.

Then do beware Outlaw Star which also features a first episode with finding a Special Girl in a box. But watch Outlaw Star because it slaps.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

But watch Outlaw Star because it slaps.

This guy gets it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Grappling should be a bigger part of every starship combat system, in general.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Ever since I realized that Whedon's kinda lovely I've been avoiding learning anything more about him. It's easy enough to avoid his future stuff, but I have a lot of fond memories of his earlier works (especially Buffy, which has a place in my heart forever. Please don't tell me why Buffy is bad). It was just a really disappointing trip until I got off

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dawgstar posted:

Then do beware Outlaw Star which also features a first episode with finding a Special Girl in a box. But watch Outlaw Star because it slaps.

Plus it also did the Chinese dominating colonization first and actually had Chinese people in the show. It also just got a blu ray remaster a year or two ago.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mors Rattus posted:

Shane Hensley absolutely doesn’t understand why people are mad about the Confederates or care. If he did, he wouldn’t have required a literal metaplot-based retcon played out over years to get rid if the Confederacy.

Don’t give him your money, get Haunted West instead.

OMG I fuckin' love this. This is the second-best Weird West metaplot possible (Lincoln living, turning into a mech, and stomping all over the South is the best one).

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

OMG I fuckin' love this. This is the second-best Weird West metaplot possible (Lincoln living, turning into a mech, and stomping all over the South is the best one).

Truth!

Though are you talking about Deadland's new meta, or Haunted West as the second-best? I hadn't heard about HW and didn't care enough about Deadlands to read up on it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I assume it's Haunted West because it has a wonderfully soft touch approach to the alt-history where the conspiracy to assassinate the heads of state goes slightly better and known rear end in a top hat of history and garbage president Andrew Johnson also gets capped, which leads to a Wade-Davis Bill Reconstruction and all the fallout associated

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I watched about two episodes of Firefly and thought was the dumbest thing ever. My friends were really upset with me at the time but have all quietly pretended they were never that into Whedon as they got older, which I think is basically what most of nerdom has done over the last decade.

My sister briefly dated a guy who came over with the Firefly DVDs one afternoon and they watched an episode. He had to go to work or something, but loudly declared he was leaving the Firefly DVDs there for her to watch on her own as he expected his girlfriend to get his references. She didn't watch them.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
My kickstarter for Skull Diggers is now live!

Your little village is all the world you know. There may be more outside, but it's irrelevant. What is far more relevant are the living dungeons, the Bones, which break out of the ground and spit monsters all over the world around your home town. The only way to stop this siege, the only way to save your city and yourself, is to go in there, to where the monsters are born, to where the world twists and changes into something unlike our own world as we know it. You must find the Marrow. It is the heart of the Bone. You must burn it.

If you do not, if you die down in the Bones, if you fail... Your village will be lost.

Skull Diggers is a dungeon delving horror game using an entirely unique engine of my own design, based on the Three Pillars pioneered by the D&D Next playtest but entirely undelivered upon in the final product. If you're unfamiliar, this was the idea that each character should be equally good at all three phases of gameplay - the socializing, the exploring, and the combat. If you've ever played D&D before, or honestly most other tabletop games (one of mine, Panic at the Dojo, included), you know that 90% of the emphasis is placed on combat. To ensure combat was not the only important pillar, I did two things.

First, each character has three distinct Roles. Your Citizen Role, which determines how you survive in your village when things are fine, when there are no monsters about. It decides how you improve your village and advance the tech tree, how you prevent other factions from ruining your stuff or accomplishing opposing goals, and how you stay alive through lean times. Your Explorer Role, which determines how you function outside society, as a traveler and a survivor. It decides how you avoid trouble, evade danger, overcome obstacles, and map out the world around you. And your Warrior Role, which determines how you survive when monsters come to kill you. It decides who lives and who dies when violence is the only answer.

Second, each of those three Roles is playing a completely different game. Society is a worker placement game, where different citizens must rush to get limited resources before anyone else can, to obtain the Coins and Favor you need to accomplish your objectives and avoid crippling poverty. Expeditions are a mapping game using a deck of poker cards, where each card represents an area in the Wild or a room in a Dungeon. Each player has a hand of cards, which they can use to manipulate the map as they explore it. And Combat is a high risk gambling game based on Cee-Lo, where everyone rolls simultaneously and winner deals damage, losers gets nothing but pain.

It's also a horror game with some really spooky monsters, like seriously I am having fun making these things absolutely horrible.

Come check it out!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

drat. That looks really cool! Not remotely my thing, but super cool!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are the black monstrous people called "Diggers?"

I don't think that's intentional but you may want to reconsider this image.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Agent Rush posted:

Truth!

Though are you talking about Deadland's new meta, or Haunted West as the second-best? I hadn't heard about HW and didn't care enough about Deadlands to read up on it.

I am 100% talking about Haunted West. I've always hated the southern revisionism in Deadlands and Shane's awful stupid know-nothing ideas about the South. The South was literally the Evil Empire of the mid-1800s, if Lincoln hadn't stomped their asses into the ground they would have tried to export slavery to Argentina, seized Haiti, and generally tried to export their brand of human misery out all over the globe. It was a garbage government run by scum and they all should have swung after it was over.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

moths posted:

Are the black monstrous people called "Diggers?"

I don't think that's intentional but you may want to reconsider this image.

No, no they are not. The Skull Diggers are the name of the faction that goes into the Bones to destroy them, which is what the players are.

The weird monsters are known as Things and they are all very different from one another, that just happens to have been the one I have art done for already. You're right that this is kind of a bad look, I didn't consider that. I'll change up the kickstarter header image once I have a different art piece to replace the Crooked Man with.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I am 100% talking about Haunted West. I've always hated the southern revisionism in Deadlands and Shane's awful stupid know-nothing ideas about the South. The South was literally the Evil Empire of the mid-1800s, if Lincoln hadn't stomped their asses into the ground they would have tried to export slavery to Argentina, seized Haiti, and generally tried to export their brand of human misery out all over the globe. It was a garbage government run by scum and they all should have swung after it was over.
If he wants characters to be veterans of an actually good lost cause why not just make them 48ers? Your character has to be older and European but the revolutions of 1848 were legitimately good causes stomped out by tyranny and leader incompetence. It's the same era and a huge number of them immigrated to the US.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

gnome7 posted:

The weird monsters are known as Things and they are all very different from one another, that just happens to have been the one I have art done for already. You're right that this is kind of a bad look, I didn't consider that. I'll change up the kickstarter header image once I have a different art piece to replace the Crooked Man with.
In the meantime inverting the colours seems to work nice.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
The crooked man art makes me think of the game OFF.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DalaranJ posted:

The crooked man art makes me think of the game OFF.

OFF is absolutely a huge inspiration for the style, yes. I love the black and white pencilled look of its monsters, and its a look I'm able to achieve since my big weaknesses as an artist are 1: color choice, and 2: anything resembling realism. I could do studies to improve that but don't have the time, and this looks real good to my eyes.

As for inverting, yes but I can do slightly better than a pure inversion, and have updated the kickstarter header appropriately:

And tbh this looks better than what I had anyway! So good call all around.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 24, 2020

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
gnome you are a treasure. I'd already backed but if I hadn't this would definitely have put me over the edge!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gnome7 posted:

OFF is absolutely a huge inspiration for the style, yes. I love the black and white pencilled look of its monsters, and its a look I'm able to achieve since my big weaknesses as an artist are 1: color choice, and 2: anything resembling realism. I could do studies to improve that but don't have the time, and this looks real good to my eyes.
Great decision. I had the same kind of "uhhhh" thought when I saw the header.

Also, I've gone ahead and backed it. And while I know I could just get it from DTRPG or whatever, have you considered copies of your older games as add-ons? Not sure if that's a good idea or a terrible one tbh

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Backed.

The Ghost Writer
Jun 27, 2012
:ghost:
Shameful Outlet
Good call on the change because I'm not even really tuned in to thinking in this way but the first thing I thought on seeing it was

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Yes, I get it.

I mean the mistake I made was: I wanted to make a slenderman style businessman monster, and for simplicity, make it black and white. Well traditionally these things wear a black suit, so let's make the whole monster black to emphasize the point that it isn't actually wearing clothes, that's just a camouflage pattern to make it blend in with people better. Extra scary that way.

Then oops I did a racism, because I didn't stop to think about WHY slender man, thin men, and all the other faceless business men monsters have white faces. Not only does it provide good contrast, it also firmly establishes them as both The White Man and makes them not a pure black shadow monster over text that's only one letter away from a terrible slur.

I still want the black suit so I've now adjusted the final art that will be in the book, although I'm keeping the header I posted earlier as is because the pure white suit is pretty slick too.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Ska-der Man is a good change.

(Also that was a very professional course correction, I'm glad to see it.)

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I assume it's Haunted West because it has a wonderfully soft touch approach to the alt-history where the conspiracy to assassinate the heads of state goes slightly better and known rear end in a top hat of history and garbage president Andrew Johnson also gets capped, which leads to a Wade-Davis Bill Reconstruction and all the fallout associated

Me too. I was already interested because Harlem Unbound was so good. But when I read that take on the alternate history I was blown away by how elegant and interesting it was.

I've never bought Deadlands (even stuff that piqued my interest like the Deadlands Noir or spin-off card game) because the CSA thing was too tone-deaf and weird. Haunted West will provide some cool new ideas and all the weird west I've ever wanted.

I will also chime in to say, good handling of that, gnome7. It's the kind of thing that crops up by accident but you took care of it immediately.

I'm in for the game itself, too. Having three roles is cool and I think will promote good discussions on game design. And I really like that the Bones are coming to you, rather than you bursting into someone else's home. Looks great.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

moths posted:

I can't agree there. A "professional" course correction of the source we'd see from any of the big players in this cottage industry (or almost any others) would have been to at most pull the image without comment and replace it. That was exemplary.

Also Haunted West - how's the system looking and when does it look as if it will be published? I've a friend who likes the idea of Deadlands but mostly for the elevator pitch and I think she'd prefer the Haunted West pitch. She's also too impatient to want kickstarted games.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

moths posted:

Everybody shudders one way or the other
When the Ska-der Man's coming for you
As a matter of fact, he don't let nothing hold him back
If the Ska-der Man's hunting, you are through
Everybody's saying that the Ska-der Man's coming
To destroy all of us for our sins
But what you don't know, I'm gonna tell you right now
That the Ska-der and the sin is the same thing to you
I'm the Ska-der Man – Where's the Ska-der Man?
I'm the Ska-der Man
Ski-bi-dibby-dib yo-da-dub-dub, yo-da-dub-dub

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sionak posted:

I've never bought Deadlands (even stuff that piqued my interest like the Deadlands Noir or spin-off card game) because the CSA thing was too tone-deaf and weird.

Doomtown was always pretty low key about it. The two most popular characters in the original game were Black Jack Jackson - who was also the best gunfighter, with an explicit design rule that no Dude would ever be printed with equal stats - and Austin Stoker, a Confederate deserter who was named after a black man. All you ever see of the war is a bunch of monster-hunters from the Texas Rangers getting into a rivalry with their Union counterparts, and even that was suspended for most of the storyline's duration.

As for Doomtown Reloaded, I don't think it's ever even mentioned the wider situation in either the AEG or PBE eras.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

A revised edition boxed set of Harnmaster:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/columbiagames/harnmaster-boxed-set-updated-and-upgraded

I have to admit, I've always been charmed by Harn since it represents a type of gameplay and a type of grog that has basically gone extinct: the type that thinks medieval fantasy should have heavier focus on the medieval than the fantasy. Presumably the same type who enjoyed the premise behind Fantasy Wargaming: The Highest Level of All.

The drat thing comes in cardstock that you need to supply your own binders for! Amazing.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, that does sound pretty great!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I watched about two episodes of Firefly and thought was the dumbest thing ever. My friends were really upset with me at the time but have all quietly pretended they were never that into Whedon as they got older, which I think is basically what most of nerdom has done over the last decade.

My sister briefly dated a guy who came over with the Firefly DVDs one afternoon and they watched an episode. He had to go to work or something, but loudly declared he was leaving the Firefly DVDs there for her to watch on her own as he expected his girlfriend to get his references. She didn't watch them.

I have a soft spot for Angel because I watched most of it when I was in college, but I'm still mad at how Cordelia was done dirty. That's pretty much the only Whedon I've really sat through, the others are only isolated episodes I didn't really care to follow up on to me.

Again, truth!

Also, thanks for the consideration and prompt address of that issue, gnome7! I've liked your stuff for a while, and if I hadn't already backed this whole exchange would have been a few strong marks in the pro column.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Against my better judgement, I've backed the Torchbearer 2nd ed kickstarter. I'm only doing it because I really liked the GM world building description rules and it seems to make really clear what an OD&D region should be like.

It sounds like from the backer plan you really need the extra counters/card/coins to help keep track of things. Can someone point me somewhere where I can see or read how you use them? The kickstarter talks about wooden holders you put them in, but I cannot visualise how that would work but it sounds like it's a key way to keep the tracking of light/food/hit points manageable and not a encumbrance level nightmare.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Warthur posted:

Everybody shudders one way or the other
When the Ska-der Man's coming for you
As a matter of fact, he don't let nothing hold him back
If the Ska-der Man's hunting, you are through
Everybody's saying that the Ska-der Man's coming
To destroy all of us for our sins
But what you don't know, I'm gonna tell you right now
That the Ska-der and the sin is the same thing to you
I'm the Ska-der Man – Where's the Ska-der Man?
I'm the Ska-der Man

Is he tough?
Listen pup
Pick it up pick it up
pick it up pick it up

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Got an email notification that the Lockdown Kickstarter (Nemesis sequel) will allow you to get the Nemesis core box as an add on. Apparently they talked their retail distributor into letting them do it.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2093237653/odess-a-chess-like-gridiron-strategy-game/description

This is a real interesting combination of terrific production values and a vague sense of sexual fetish.

From what I can tell it's a combination of chess and American Football, and the kickstarter is your opportunity to contribute to the production of a web app, which will be free for everyone, and/or to pay $1 to let the creator know that you would be interested in a physical copy of the game at a later date. My favorite part is that the pieces are completely indistinguishable from one another.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gilgameshback posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2093237653/odess-a-chess-like-gridiron-strategy-game/description

This is a real interesting combination of terrific production values and a vague sense of sexual fetish.

From what I can tell it's a combination of chess and American Football, and the kickstarter is your opportunity to contribute to the production of a web app, which will be free for everyone, and/or to pay $1 to let the creator know that you would be interested in a physical copy of the game at a later date. My favorite part is that the pieces are completely indistinguishable from one another.

That, uh, is...a thing, yes it is. The quote from a single nfl person...

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also the use of quotation marks. The 'physical' board will be "unlocked" if 8000 people back the project. Seems legit.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Wow, does that video ever look like it was made for Nova in 1977.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Doctor Zero posted:

Got an email notification that the Lockdown Kickstarter (Nemesis sequel) will allow you to get the Nemesis core box as an add on. Apparently they talked their retail distributor into letting them do it.

Oh no my bank account :ohdear: