Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

U-DO Burger posted:

huh, i had no idea melatonin was actually awesome like this

my wife woke up one night to find me pressing on her ribcage methodically. but at least the melatonin sleepwalking was always peaceful, unlike other times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

COVID-420 posted:

Cuomo's comments settle it, right? We're all going "back to work" in a few weeks. Liberal states because "everybody's had it and it's just a flu!" and chud states because death cult.

This is how it feels to me... don't feel good at all, man :smithicide:

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
watch this have been what my cat and I had back in june of last year by some strange fluke and it was really just all over the place and no one knew. He almost died and I was so sick I was in bed for a week and went to the hospital

here's a picture of him cuddled in bed with me being all sleepy when he was sick

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Hope this doesn't generate a second peak.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Just more evidence to open it all up! Open it up and ram that bull economy straight into america!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Jesus. they had more deaths than Canada yesterday despite having a little more than a quarter of the population. and people here aren’t exactly being geniuses either

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.

brugroffil posted:

What did he say

That 2.7 million New Yorkers had already had it and were recovering.

That the death rate was far lower than believed. The tone was very much "this isn't so bad, it's just like a nasty flu."

To his credit he did acknowledge that the results were "preliminary" and that New Yorkers should not stop social distancing yet and that the flat rate of new cases is troubling.

If the death rate is truly .5% that's much better news than it being 5%. But .5% is still awful. And I can hear the consent manufacturing factory humming.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"Opening the economy" is meaningless other than as a marker where the consequences of poverty and unemployment will be dismissed as laziness.

Edit: posting on the Battle of Hastings page. Billy Madison embedded this single piece of historical trivia deeper than any teacher could.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lmao the second wave is gonna be so bad everyone stay the gently caress away from me

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

How many bags of potatoes would I have to loot from Picabo to justify the 4 hour round trip?

This is a complicated calculation which includes gas prices, the fuel efficiency of your car, and also the value of your time as labor and/or recreation. But you should go and loot all them fuckin' potatoes. Yes, they're perishable, but they decay slowly, and you can share them with neighbors when society collapses.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

COVID-420 posted:

That the death rate was far lower than believed. The tone was very much "this isn't so bad, it's just like a nasty flu."

To his credit he did acknowledge that the results were "preliminary" and that New Yorkers should not stop social distancing yet and that the flat rate of new cases is troubling.

If the death rate is truly .5% that's much better news than it being 5%. But .5% is still awful. And I can hear the consent manufacturing factory humming.

it probably will make the case for more widespread antibody testing too though - especially if there is immunity associated with it
if you test positive on the antibody test but negative on the regular test you should be clear to "go back to normal activity" (provided it isn't a false reading)

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Seinfeld in 2020 but it's potatoes instead of bottles

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

COVID-420 posted:

It's insane to me that we know the flaws in the antibody studies but they're still being used to justify forcing people back to work

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

corona free

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Lmao the second wave is gonna be so bad everyone stay the gently caress away from me

Just don't be part of the .5%. Let 1,641,000 other people take your place.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Mayor Dave posted:

It's insane to me that we know the flaws in the antibody studies but they're still being used to justify forcing people back to work

but antibody means science

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mayor Dave posted:

Also you'd think that if we had that many people who already have had it we'd see deaths levelling off before now.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

incoherent posted:

Are they recording this for posterity reasons?

Sweden - "WTF is posterity?"

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

I agree kitty

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it would be fun imo if china gave some american states (ones that could pay them back like cali maybe etc) extremely cheap loans to makeup for what the federal government needs to be doing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Get back to work and generate me value. :whip:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
lol remember that serology test machine Donny rolled out at a press conference 100 years ago?

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1253398424038318083?s=20

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Google Butt posted:

im goning to my extended family's lake cabin in the far north woods, near my aunt's ex husband's (who remains a family friend) potato farm, in august and frankly i dont want to come back and enroll my kid in school. i'd rather just sit through a brutal winter up there and roll the dice on not needing to see the outside world then be back in chicago where god knows what is going to happen

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Nice to see that even democrats are talking themselves into OPENING FOR BUSINESS! WORKING HARD, THANK YOU!

We are so utterly hosed

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

brugroffil posted:

Seinfeld in 2020 but it's potatoes instead of bottles

Everybody is beanposting, I'm potatoposting.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rabid Snake posted:

let’s talk about melatonin dreams

its not related to melatonin, but when i started on fluoxetine i had a few bangers the first week

one involve a centaur (?) except the horse and human halves were separate, connected only by an umbilical cord and stone totems were falling from the sky

feel free to interpret that

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

hole diggers wanted on task rabbit

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Feldegast42 posted:

Nice to see that even democrats are talking themselves into OPENING FOR BUSINESS! WORKING HARD, THANK YOU!

Newsom is keeping California closed, maybe because tech can be done remotely and agriculture is sufficiently socially distanced. Good enough for me!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

USA Today posted:

There are 328 million people in the USA, so the prevalence would be 2.1%. With a rate of false positives at 10% or greater, these serologic tests are not as helpful as we would like them to be.

Of course, the prevalence is not uniform across America and Canada. In New York City, the prevalence might be as high as 15-20%, in which case serology will be more useful. But in Montana, the prevalence at this time is likely well below 1%, making the tests not as useful there. ...

Dr. Allan Detsky is a professor of Health Policy, Managementand Evaluation and Medicine at the University of Toronto. He was physician-in-chief at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital during the SARS outbreak of 2003. Dr. Isaac Bogoch, an infectious disease physician and scientist at Toronto General Hospital, is associate professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto.

seems like using a test with a false positive rate of >10% as an excuse to "open up the economy" is a bad idea to me, but what do I know

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

it should be potatos not potatoes, face the future

also tomatos

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Google Butt posted:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Bulgakov posted:

:qq:

that’s actual tragedy. gimme free kegs.

A couple blocks down from me, there's two bars almost next to each other selling takeout from their window onto the sidewalk. One bar has offered steep discounts (by NYC bar standards) and the other has keep prices at high bougie brooklyn craft bar prices. The cheap one seems to be doing way better, always a few people hanging out in front and chatting from 6 feet away. Expensive bar mostly has one sulky looking dude with the window closed. Cops don't care about container laws right now so they will give you 32 oz in a takeout soup container and poke a straw hole for you with a knife. I can walk around and sip on draft beer and look at all the closed businesses.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

CleverHans posted:

99% sure this means cobras cure COVID.

BRB - going on the internet to buy a bunch of cobras

That was from the French nicotine study. One of the authors is a renowned neuroscientist who became famous by mapping out various chemical pathways in the nervous system and how chemicals related to nicotine affect them. In the argument where they explain how nicotine is potentially affecting the body in COVID-19 they cited a bunch of previous research that he and his team had worked on in the past mapping out these pathways. For some reason a lot of the research was done on cells from animals which had unique properties, such as deadly snakes and electric eels, so that article contains sentences like: “Structural studies further revealed that a short region in the ectodomain of the rabies virus glycoprotein shows sequence similarity to some snake toxins [20, 22] that were initially used to isolate the nAChR from fish electric organs [23])”

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

NofrikinfuN posted:

its not related to melatonin, but when i started on fluoxetine i had a few bangers the first week

one involve a centaur (?) except the horse and human halves were separate, connected only by an umbilical cord and stone totems were falling from the sky

feel free to interpret that

that was just you playing death strandign

in other news does anyone have that video where ... vice? or someone was trying to interview a WHO guy who was like oh uh i cant hear you and his call dropped

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Feldegast42 posted:

We are so utterly hosed

Here in PA, Wolf is trying to thread the needle by letting counties decide their own way out. It's going to be a mess that won't work. Get ready for more pickup trucks full of body bags.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Nothus posted:

lol remember that serology test machine Donny rolled out at a press conference 100 years ago?

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1253398424038318083?s=20

quote:

Gary Procop

:eyepop: what an unfortunate last name

and yah no matter the test used (also don’t use the bad ones) it rly seems like two negative results from two runs or etc at least ought be required

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

mrmcd posted:

A couple blocks down from me, there's two bars almost next to each other selling takeout from their window onto the sidewalk. One bar has offered steep discounts (by NYC bar standards) and the other has keep prices at high bougie brooklyn craft bar prices. The cheap one seems to be doing way better, always a few people hanging out in front and chatting from 6 feet away. Expensive bar mostly has one sulky looking dude with the window closed. Cops don't care about container laws right now so they will give you 32 oz in a takeout soup container and poke a straw hole for you with a knife. I can walk around and sip on draft beer and look at all the closed businesses.

i figure if i have to stay here all summer im grabbing a keg for the yard

rlly gonna lean into being an outdoor drunk

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

COVID-420 posted:

it's probably between .5 and 1% which is not only 10x the seasonal flu but we have no annual immunization campaign like we do with the flu. So that's still REALLY loving BAD even if it isn't collapse of society bad.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

mrmcd posted:

drat that owns that’s how it needs to be done if ya gonna accept a little mildly safe nihilistic behavior

i’m thinking a 64 oz insulates big gulp mug or something tho. the less often people go a window the better.

no gods no masters it’s 2020 baybeeee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

mastershakeman posted:

im goning to my extended family's lake cabin in the far north woods, near my aunt's ex husband's (who remains a family friend) potato farm, in august and frankly i dont want to come back and enroll my kid in school. i'd rather just sit through a brutal winter up there and roll the dice on not needing to see the outside world then be back in chicago where god knows what is going to happen

I don’t know your ability to care for your kid or what grade they are on, but think back to when you were their age and ask yourself of missing out on 4 months of school is worse than rolling the dice on potential death or long term health ramifications and the trauma your kid will go through