Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol Biden isn't left wing enough to be Neoliberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol Biden isn't left wing enough to be Neoliberal.

Point still stands

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

volts5000 posted:

Right, because if the Republicans win, they will obviously welcome us with open arms and certainly won't consolidate the current corporate stranglehold on our government.

Look, either Biden or Trump is going to become president. If you know that one weird trick that will prevent either of them from becoming president, we'd all love to hear it because November will be here before you know it. None of us wanted Biden. Absolutely none of us at all. But I think it would help if we regained some perspective and stop giving the GOP credit that is completely undeserved. Let's keep in mind that the GOP is the party of authoritarianism and fascism. It's their brand. A brand that is kept cohesive and unified by all party members and elected officials keeping in lockstep with each other. A unity that is shared with their base thanks to a vast billionaire-funded right-wing media ecosphere. The Democrats wished they had that level of cohesion.

I'm not enthused about Biden. I'm loving horrified. But I think if some people here would step outside of the forums and, maybe, come visit a red southern state, you'd see what's at stake. Trump is not just one lone symptom of our sick political system. With Trump at the helm, the GOP at large can and will exercise whatever power they have, especially if the Democrats controlled the House and Senate. Stop thinking of Trump as just a president. Think of him as an avenue for the GOP to exercise power.

tl;dr: Neolib leader of fractured party >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Authoritarian leader of unified fascist party

When it comes to climate change, the parties are identical

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/aoc-announces-on-instagram-that-she-will-vote-for-joe-biden/

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

Ok. What about where they differ?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
It's just one pint of ice cream, Bernie. What could it possibly cost, $70?

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If you ever claimed that Warren is a progressive now is as good a time as any to apologize

https://twitter.com/IramiOF/status/1253346945202094082?s=20

Is she pivoting to the "badasses" coalition?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ither posted:

I'm very well aware that bad things happen under Democratic administrations.

Do you actually have the numbers? Let's compare the amount of people killed/maimed/displaced vs the amount of people who were saved, healed, or immigrated to the US. Let's do this for Obama & Trump. And then let's predict what it would be for Trump's 2nd Term vs Biden's 1st term. We can finally settle this once and for all with Math.

*The bold was added by me*

You're right. It doesn't solve the problem.

You're right. It's not enough.

But it would help some people. Which is my point.

What's Trump's proposal for student debt? Does it help anyone?

Biden's first ad against Trump was that Trump let in too many Chinese after the outbreak started. The caravans of people from Honduras started after a 2009 coup supported by the US transformed Honduras in a narcostate with the highest murder rate in the world. Obama's solution to child detention centers was expedited deportations back to places like Honduras to the point they successfully argued in court that 3 year olds can represent themselves in court with no lawyer or parent present for deportation. This isn't to say that Obama was worse than Trump. But it is not at all clear that he wasn't, when you look at data on deportations, Yemen, Honduras, etc. So even if Obama was better, it was by a very slim margin.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

This wont stop them from trying to primary her.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

volts5000 posted:

The differences are pretty irrelevant when compared to billions of people suffering and dying due to climate death.

volts5000 posted:

Look, either Biden or Trump is going to become president. If you know that one weird trick that will prevent either of them from becoming president, we'd all love to hear it because November will be here before you know it. None of us wanted Biden. Absolutely none of us at all. But I think it would help if we regained some perspective and stop giving the GOP credit that is completely undeserved. Let's keep in mind that the GOP is the party of authoritarianism and fascism. It's their brand. A brand that is kept cohesive and unified by all party members and elected officials keeping in lockstep with each other. A unity that is shared with their base thanks to a vast billionaire-funded right-wing media ecosphere. The Democrats wished they had that level of cohesion.

I'm not enthused about Biden. I'm loving horrified. But I think if some people here would step outside of the forums and, maybe, come visit a red southern state, you'd see what's at stake. Trump is not just one lone symptom of our sick political system. With Trump at the helm, the GOP at large can and will exercise whatever power they have, especially if the Democrats controlled the House and Senate. Stop thinking of Trump as just a president. Think of him as an avenue for the GOP to exercise power.

tl;dr: Neolib leader of fractured party >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Authoritarian leader of unified fascist party

The Dem establishment keeps giving the GOP pretty much everything they want and the only reason why they even offer token resistance is because Trump doesn't play by the rules of :decorum:

Biden as Prez would just lead to the Dems dropping even that and normalize fascism into the bipartisan consensus.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

well yeah you gotta go for head shots if its hogan on the receiving end

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Imagine watching this election and thinking Alyssa Milano et al wouldn't line up behind a fascist with a (D) next to their name.

Biden and his ilk aren't watching the fascists and getting sad that democracy is flailing. They're looking at the fascists and whispering to themselves "that could be me."

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

volts5000 posted:

Point still stands

It does not. Jesse Ventura is our only hope.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

volts5000 posted:

hire 👏 more 👏 women 👏 prison/detention camp 👏 guards 👏

and uh, like diversity in the boardroom and in the drone operator double-wide trailer

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

This wont stop them from trying to primary her.

Obviously not, the point is that you have multiple progressive figureheads saying that voting for Biden is better than the alternative of having Trump be president for 4 more years.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You know, I think the most ridiculous thing is whenever someone starts going off ITT assuring everybody that they also think that Biden is a complete piece of garbage and unacceptably bad but in the next sentence they start yelling about how it's absolutely critical that everyone uncritically play along with the system so fundamentally broken that it's resulted in two options that both most likely mean the end of civilization as we know it. Not to mention normalizing the idea that it doesn't matter how morally abominable on a personal level a candidate is as long as he's on the right team, but I digress.

There's some serious loving lack of perspective going on here, is what I'm saying.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

The differences are pretty irrelevant when compared to billions of people suffering and dying due to climate death.

So voting rights, women's rights, not having fascists in charge, that's all negligible? I agree that climate change is a huge deal, but (as of right now because of the choice of candidates) I'd rather take token resistance as opposed to accelerationism.

Cerebral Bore posted:

The Dem establishment keeps giving the GOP pretty much everything they want and the only reason why they even offer token resistance is because Trump doesn't play by the rules of :decorum:

Biden as Prez would just lead to the Dems dropping even that and normalize fascism into the bipartisan consensus.

Token resistance being in charge is not the same as an actual fascist being in charge. Decorum can be used as leverage against the Democrats. Republicans don't give a poo poo. Is it great leverage? No, but it's better than no leverage.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
To the folks saying that we have to vote for Biden: how much worse of a candidate would he have to be for you to not vote for him? You're clearly comfortable voting for Blue Trump but would you be in here arguing that the loving Jews need to stop complaining, ignore that book he wrote and the speeches he's given, and vote for Blue Hitler?

As far as I'm concerned the campaign has told me not to vote Biden and unlike him, I listen when someone says no

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Phone posted:

and uh, like diversity in the boardroom and in the drone operator double-wide trailer

Point to where I support this. Quote it right here.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Phone posted:

Less masturbation in front of the child cages.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

volts5000 posted:

So voting rights, women's rights, not having fascists in charge, that's all negligible? I agree that climate change is a huge deal, but (as of right now because of the choice of candidates) I'd rather take token resistance as opposed to accelerationism.

Token resistance being in charge is not the same as an actual fascist being in charge. Decorum can be used as leverage against the Democrats. Republicans don't give a poo poo. Is it great leverage? No, but it's better than no leverage.

the democratic primary is still on going with the ny dems not being able to keep it in their pants for 5 minutes and are trying to actively kick bernie off of the ballot, iowa was not even 3 months ago, the dnc and biden's campaign being like "oh yeah it's safe to vote" in the middle of march was barely 5 weeks ago, the round of voting including wisconsin was 3 weeks ago...

and you have the gall to come in here and lead with "well what about voting rights?"

jesus christ

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

volts5000 posted:

you asked where do the dems and the republicans differ since climate change is off of the table, read your own posts

e: here

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

volts5000 posted:

As I already mentioned, you don't even get token resistance with Biden in the White House, you get the normalization of Trump's policies. Also the Dems have been spending weeks screaming about how their rapist is better than the other rapist and that the woman he raped is a lying Russian whore anyway and here you come and pretend that you can move them with loving decorum? Get real.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Phone posted:

the democratic primary is still on going with the ny dems not being able to keep it in their pants for 5 minutes and are trying to actively kick bernie off of the ballot, iowa was not even 3 months ago, the dnc and biden's campaign being like "oh yeah it's safe to vote" in the middle of march was barely 5 weeks ago, the round of voting including wisconsin was 3 weeks ago...

and you have the gall to come in here and lead with "well what about voting rights?"

jesus christ

Who's pushing voter ID? Who's trying to kill vote by mail? Who's trying to whittle away VRA even further?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Wicked Them Beats posted:

If you ever claimed that Warren is a progressive now is as good a time as any to apologize

In a reasonable world this whole situation would shame these folks into silence (or ideally lead to them changing their minds), but they seem to have smoothly moved on to the next thing to accuse the left of being unrealistically cynical about.

Ither posted:

I'm very well aware that bad things happen under Democratic administrations.

Do you actually have the numbers? Let's compare the amount of people killed/maimed/displaced vs the amount of people who were saved, healed, or immigrated to the US. Let's do this for Obama & Trump. And then let's predict what it would be for Trump's 2nd Term vs Biden's 1st term. We can finally settle this once and for all with Math.

The millions of people killed/displaced in Yemen and Libya (among other places, but those two stand out) can largely be blamed on US action, as well as the millions deported under Obama (who oversaw a stark increase in deportations). And this is ignoring the millions domestically who are harmed as a result of our corrupt/racist justice system (which is just sort of taken as neutral by liberals for whatever reason, rather than an ongoing crime that whoever is in power shares responsibility for).

While it's impossible to get direct numbers, it is very unlikely that stuff like the ACA outweighs this. The ACA may have increased the number of people insured, but most of those people have awful insurance that doesn't really help (as demonstrated by the fact that medical debt/bankruptcy didn't drop). The most helpful aspect of the ACA (and probably the most beneficial act under Obama period), the Medicaid expansion, likely did not save nearly enough lives to even remotely offset harm over the same time, assuming this* is even remotely accurate. And you're the one making a positive claim here - your argument rests on the assumption that Democrats cause incremental good. The burden of proof here is on you. You aren't just magically correct unless God himself can come down and give you the precise number of people who have died as a result of US action.

* https://www.cbpp.org/research/health/medicaid-expansion-has-saved-at-least-19000-lives-new-research-finds (I don't know how reliable the CBPP is, but unless it's like 2 orders of magnitude off it doesn't really make a difference for the point I'm making

vvv Oh yeah, Honduras also

joepinetree posted:

Biden's first ad against Trump was that Trump let in too many Chinese after the outbreak started. The caravans of people from Honduras started after a 2009 coup supported by the US transformed Honduras in a narcostate with the highest murder rate in the world. Obama's solution to child detention centers was expedited deportations back to places like Honduras to the point they successfully argued in court that 3 year olds can represent themselves in court with no lawyer or parent present for deportation. This isn't to say that Obama was worse than Trump. But it is not at all clear that he wasn't, when you look at data on deportations, Yemen, Honduras, etc. So even if Obama was better, it was by a very slim margin.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 23, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

volts5000 posted:

you're voting for joe biden

volts5000 posted:

Right, because if the Republicans win, they will obviously welcome us with open arms and certainly won't consolidate the current corporate stranglehold on our government.

joe "servant of capital" biden will certainly make a dent in the corporate stranglehold
btw it's already consolidated, it's been consolidated for god knows how long

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Doctor Jeep posted:

joe "servant of capital" biden will certainly make a dent in the corporate stranglehold

at least since bill clinton and greenspan sat down together if not longer

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Phone posted:

you asked where do the dems and the republicans differ since climate change is off of the table, read your own posts

e: here

I don't see me supporting perpetual Middle East wars in that post. I also don't see me supporting shallow identity politics in that post. I just see me trying to differentiate the parties in a broader perspective. I think you're just reading what you want and assuming that poo poo.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"muh voting rights," I cry as democrats vote for another trump judge

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Joe Biden: Rapist

Donald Trump: serial rapist

Jesse The Body Ventura: Sexual Tyrannosaurus.

You know how to vote with your morals.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

It really depends on if you want the corruption of this nation laid bare or not. With Trump we have that. With Biden the Dems get to sweep it back under the rug so they can go back to brunch.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

volts5000 posted:

I don't see me supporting perpetual Middle East wars in that post. I also don't see me supporting shallow identity politics in that post. I just see me trying to differentiate the parties in a broader perspective. I think you're just reading what you want and assuming that poo poo.

Climate apocalypse kind of has huge loving wars in the middle East baked in implicitly :v:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

volts5000 posted:

Is there anyone who could be put forward as the Dem nominee you wouldn't vote for

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

Doesn't mean I support him. I'm not donating anything to his campaign. Just means I don't the GOP in charge.

Doctor Jeep posted:

I'm not saying Biden would make a dent. It's been consolidating since Carter. I'm simply approaching this as opposition to the GOP, however weak it may be.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Climate apocalypse kind of has huge loving wars in the middle East baked in implicitly :v:

Agreed

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

AOC is voting for Biden per her livestream with rapper Fat Joe.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

volts5000 posted:

are you now the democratic party? your question was specifically about where do the parties differ.

once again, this is EXACTLY what you posted

volts5000 posted:

the subject is the parties, you used the pronoun they to refer back to the original subject the parties

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lmao if the Dems being in is functionality the same as George W Bush being in charge then what the gently caress have you gained?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Doctor Jeep posted:

"muh voting rights," I cry as democrats vote for another trump judge

Get those fuckers out too. Primary them all. But if a Progressive candidate doesn't win, that doesn't mean I'm going to make it easier for fascists to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Tab8715 posted:

AOC is voting for Biden per her livestream with rapper Fat Joe.

Listen, Fat.