Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'd really like to read a review from someone who doesn't have such a strong emotional attachment to the mechanical specifics of the mainline XCOM games. The ones I've read can really be boiled down to "it's good BUT IT'S NOT XCOM AND THAT'S BAD"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Riatsala posted:

I'd really like to read a review from someone who doesn't have such a strong emotional attachment to the mechanical specifics of the mainline XCOM games. The ones I've read can really be boiled down to "it's good BUT IT'S NOT XCOM AND THAT'S BAD"
Yeah, pretty much. I'm fine with a single spinoff game changing the formula and I'd rather it be considered on its own merits.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 23, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Based on watching some of the vids for it that came out when the embargo dropped, I'm extremely on board with this game. XCOM meets Into the Breach is a really apt comparison.

Speaking of Breaching, that mechanic is loving cool as hell and I'd love to see it return in a modified form in XCOM3 for, say, busting into UFOs or base entrances.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kanos posted:

Based on watching some of the vids for it that came out when the embargo dropped, I'm extremely on board with this game. XCOM meets Into the Breach is a really apt comparison.

Speaking of Breaching, that mechanic is loving cool as hell and I'd love to see it return in a modified form in XCOM3 for, say, busting into UFOs or base entrances.

Phantom Doctrine, the XCOM alike spy thriller had a similar concept that was really satisfying to use, it's something all these squad based strategy games have always struggled with representing and I'd love to see them keep it around in some form.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, only skimmed because I want a little surprise but I'm not seeing anything that'd make me regret spending :10bux: even if this turns out to be Xcom marmite.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cuntellectual posted:

It's weird people seemed to doubt you could lose on the strategy layer. I was pretty sure they'd said you can if panic means your funding gets pulled and YOU'RE OFF THE FORCE HAND IN YOUR GUN AND BADGE!

I hope there's a 48 hour grace period, because JUST GIVE ME ONE LAST CHANCE CHIEF!

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Oh, it looks like they have posted the soundtrack :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-6q4wMrHU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
So, just started watching the Beaglerush gameplay video of Chimera Squad, and they dropped a Lore Tidbit. City 31 isn't some new development that occured in the past five years, but rather it was a major center during the Advent occupation that had its own spaceport.

Edit: More on the video, it looks like after you end an encounter, if the map has multiple pods, you immediately move onto Breach Mode for the next fight, which I really like. Just clearing a building room by room.

Edit2: It's confirmed, the Snek Lust is real in XCom Land

Edit3: For the record, here is the actual video for those who want to see how the game plays out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COOAB-ud_rw

Rorahusky fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 23, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Dan Didio posted:

Phantom Doctrine, the XCOM alike spy thriller had a similar concept that was really satisfying to use, it's something all these squad based strategy games have always struggled with representing and I'd love to see them keep it around in some form.

If this turns out to be a more polished and tight Phantom Doctrine, I'm hype.

also, snek tape

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So looks like there are 3 main enemy factions

1) The Progeny who are all human Psions trying to make that the ruling class of the future
2) Gray Phoenix who are the leftover alien forces who don't want to integrate
3)Sacred Coil who are a religious cult of hybrids who say the only path to salvation is opposing XCOM

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
The way I see it, I'll spend $10 if it means even more XCOM down the road. This is one of the VERY few video game franchises I still have any faith in, so money well spent for me at least!

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Rorahusky posted:

So, just started watching the Beaglerush gameplay video of Chimera Squad, and they dropped a Lore Tidbit. City 31 isn't some new development that occured in the past five years, but rather it was a major center during the Advent occupation that had its own spaceport.

Edit: More on the video, it looks like after you end an encounter, if the map has multiple pods, you immediately move onto Breach Mode for the next fight, which I really like. Just clearing a building room by room.

Edit2: It's confirmed, the Snek Lust is real in XCom Land

Edit3: For the record, here is the actual video for those who want to see how the game plays out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COOAB-ud_rw

There's a Sectoid Alex Jones :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Fixed agents made me think of Invisible Inc and now I want Klei to make an XCOM game

DEAR JAKE...

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Very hyped for this still. I love it as a stripped down experience stand alone but also clearly as a test for potential mechanics for xcom 3.

SNEK BREACH WHEN??

Midnight tonight? I might do a late one.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Psion posted:

Fixed agents made me think of Invisible Inc and now I want Klei to make an XCOM game

DEAR JAKE...

Yeah I was thinking this earlier, I wonder if Invisible Inc was a conscious influence

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tom Tucker posted:

Very hyped for this still. I love it as a stripped down experience stand alone but also clearly as a test for potential mechanics for xcom 3.

SNEK BREACH WHEN??

Midnight tonight? I might do a late one.

I'm gonna be streaming it tomorrow evening and one of my top priorities will be making the snek kick a door.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Fixed agents is a great idea to get all the different character options we could ever want, without the balance issues of stacking a full team of optimized monsters. It'll also give a little bit of design space to have some more specialized enemies that you can't brute force your way through.

Plus it gives the writers the chance to have the agents be the ones with story and personality and dialog, instead of the strategic NPCs (during cutscenes and voiceovers) who don't actually do anything or get interacted with.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Infinite Karma posted:

Fixed agents is a great idea to get all the different character options we could ever want, without the balance issues of stacking a full team of optimized monsters. It'll also give a little bit of design space to have some more specialized enemies that you can't brute force your way through.

Plus it gives the writers the chance to have the agents be the ones with story and personality and dialog, instead of the strategic NPCs (during cutscenes and voiceovers) who don't actually do anything or get interacted with.

This whole game is about providing Firaxis a shitton of customer data on what kinds of playstyles people prefer in some substantially more controlled scenarios.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Chimera squad has some incredibly strong defensive powers. Verge has a guaranteed 1-2 point stun that has a 2 turn cooldown, Terminal gets a non turn ending 4 HP Gremlin heal per turn, Cherub gets a 1/turn ability that gives one teammate a total invulnerability to damage and charges his melee attack power if enemies hit it.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I wonder if Beagle still reads this thread.

Hi Beagle!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also the agent unlocking mechanic is really cool and should help make playthroughs feel fresh as you can start with a different pool of 4 every time.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Zore posted:

Chimera squad has some incredibly strong defensive powers. Verge has a guaranteed 1-2 point stun that has a 2 turn cooldown, Terminal gets a non turn ending 4 HP Gremlin heal per turn, Cherub gets a 1/turn ability that gives one teammate a total invulnerability to damage and charges his melee attack power if enemies hit it.

Yeah, XCOM2 is about carefully setup ambushes followed by alpha strikes, where as Chimera Squad is just constant nonstop action, so to keep up with that action, they ditch a lot of limited-use only abilities and high CDs in favor for powerful, more frequently usable abilities to keep you in the thick of things.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Snek confirmed for sassy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rorahusky posted:

Having watched this video, I now have absolutely zero regrets about having dropped $10 for this. Holy poo poo this looks like it's gonna be so much fun. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. :swoon:

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Dang after just thinking I needed a new XCOM fix here's Chimera Squad at the perfect time. Interested to see how initiative-based turns integrate with XCOM strategy.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4LrKCoOlkY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5wxhgWw5I

Also

Kelly knows your secret folder Commander.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

One of my fondest gaming memories is the surprise XCOM Enemy Unknown E3 trailer, so pleasant surprise cool XCOM game out of seemingly nowhere is completely on brand

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yogscast is streaming the game right now. https://www.twitch.tv/yogscast

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

A bit late to the party, but snek woman trailer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you can't get a non-lethal breaching SHIV this game has failed

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Psion posted:

they are literally comparing 1994 X-COM UFO Defense to 2016 XCOM 2, so uh...yes, they are, but also that's missing the point?

Yes I totally miss only having the first 255 weapons available for equip on Base defenses, leading to my entire squad having only electroflares, stun rods, and alien grenades to use. It was great! :shepface:

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
I am sure seeing a Subdued target go flying across the map with a little green Unconscious while your Agent smugly says Arrested will get old at some point but I still giggle every drat time just watching the previews.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

MadHat posted:

I am sure seeing a Subdued target go flying across the map with a little green Unconscious while your Agent smugly says Arrested will get old at some point but I still giggle every drat time just watching the previews.

Good to see that Chimera Squad uses the Batman school of "non-lethal".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I see getting through today without watching any Chimera Squad Videos before I can get into the game myself is going to be difficult!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Good to see that Chimera Squad uses the Batman school of "non-lethal".

recidivism can't happen in the hospital *taps temple*

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

BlazetheInferno posted:

I see getting through today without watching any Chimera Squad Videos before I can get into the game myself is going to be difficult!

just constantly refresh the steam store page hoping the "This game will unlock in approximately [x] hours" message goes down faster than the actual passage of time

e: currently, 7

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Yogscast is streaming the game right now. https://www.twitch.tv/yogscast

beaglerush just started a new campaign on twitch too

link: https://www.twitch.tv/beagsandjam

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Samovar posted:

A bit late to the party, but snek woman trailer.

Not knocking the game itself, but this sounds like it was written by the laziest guy in your D&D group

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder in how much detail the game will cover how cloned and tank grown aliens with no remaining cultures adapt to human society with its own cultures traumatized or obliterated.

Also with the lost around still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

smug jeebus posted:

Not knocking the game itself, but this sounds like it was written by the laziest guy in your D&D group

i honestly haven't liked the profile videos at all because they all end up sounding like someone's high concept charsheet. i end up going "yeah okay and...?" and then the video ends.

fortunately the gameplay stuff has kept me super hype so it doesn't matter.