Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

We have always been at war with Iowa and Missouri

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Bird in a Blender posted:

It's a complete loving joke that our federal government is so inept that states are grouping themselves together to make their own decisions separate from the feds. I guess this is one of the few times that our system of government with fairly independent states is actually going to be a plus. Let the balkanization of the US begin!

Which governor will activate the national guard and turn on a neighboring state first?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Trevor Hale posted:

Which governor will activate the national guard and turn on a neighboring state first?

Whitmer is going to reclaim Toledo from Ohio.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Trevor Hale posted:

Iowa still isn't on lockdown. Let's mobilize the national guard and shutdown all the bridges across the Mississippi.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Carol Ammons (State Rep) and Champaign County Clerk Aaron Ammons got a death threat against their daughter.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156777379726372&id=48334141371

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Carol Ammons (State Rep) and Champaign County Clerk Aaron Ammons got a death threat against their daughter.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10156777379726372&id=48334141371

That popped up in my feed too. I think they maybe arrested someone in Iroquois County for it today? Some scuttlebutt about an arrest for threatening a public official but I can't find it and lol trying to find anything on FB.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone filed for unemployment as a self-employed worker? My girlfriend is in that boat as she was an independent contractor. The system doesn't seem set up for that unless I'm missing something. It requires entering an employer. If she just enters her own name it shows benefits of $0. Same if she enters the people she worked as contractors for.

Any help on this is appreciated. Guessing someone here is in that boat.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

Has anyone filed for unemployment as a self-employed worker? My girlfriend is in that boat as she was an independent contractor. The system doesn't seem set up for that unless I'm missing something. It requires entering an employer. If she just enters her own name it shows benefits of $0. Same if she enters the people she worked as contractors for.

Any help on this is appreciated. Guessing someone here is in that boat.

They haven't enabled it yet and don't have an ETA besides may sometime. Massachusetts is the only state I've heard of where you can actually do this

My dad's in the same boat so I'm keeping my eye on it . Hopefully you'll be able to just declare the start date retroactively and get a nice lump sum

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I believe the self-employed and independent contractors are not able to enter their info until May.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Some state senators are starting to propose we reopen businesses like salons and barbershop. I still don't understand how this can be done while safely observing social distancing.

https://www.wandtv.com/news/senators-offer-suggestions-on-changes-to-il-stay-at-home-order/article_cca6475c-850e-11ea-b089-a35bc8d0c79a.html

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Locals in Bloomington/Normal seem to really think we can re-open here because covid is now a "Chicago problem."

Because viruses respect the I-80 boundary, you see.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Locals in Bloomington/Normal seem to really think we can re-open here because covid is now a "Chicago problem."

Because viruses respect the I-80 boundary, you see.

"Well we have two hospitals, so if some casualties happen they'll happen!" I hear outside of a grocery store where I'm one of 2 people wearing a goddamn mask.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If that means they consent to drowning on their own bodily fluids I guess I'm okay with that. But I don't want that fate so stop doing poo poo that contributes to the virus spread, idiots.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My hairdresser has moved me to late May, in anticipation of the shutdown order extending to mid-May. I honestly don’t think I’m getting a haircut again this year unless I let my husband do it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Forrest on Fire posted:

"Well we have two hospitals, so if some casualties happen they'll happen!" I hear outside of a grocery store where I'm one of 2 people wearing a goddamn mask.
Two weeks ago when I went to Kroger, about 80% of everyone had masks. Last week, the ratio was reversed. I'd say 80% did not. I am a bit scared of what I'll see today.

Even if you buy into the idea that the only sick people are in Chicago (which they aren't), open up a drat barber shop in Kankakee or whatever and see how many people will drive an hour or two to get a haircut. Congrats on encouraging the rapid spread of disease, dingbats.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

midwest ink posted:

Some state senators are starting to propose we reopen businesses like salons and barbershop. I still don't understand how this can be done while safely observing social distancing.

https://www.wandtv.com/news/senators-offer-suggestions-on-changes-to-il-stay-at-home-order/article_cca6475c-850e-11ea-b089-a35bc8d0c79a.html

Narrator: it can't.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
Having my little hardware store way downstate be considered essential is a blessing and a curse.

We've seen a huge uptick in customers realizing they have nothing to do and nowhere to go so they get stuff done around the house. Good for our business.

The downside is people are leaving their homes for unneeded stuff. I did an informal tally one day and the ratio was 9:1 against those I would consider to be essential trips to our business (things like plumbing emergency or contractor work). Nobody downstate seems to be taking it seriously, and it takes a firm word for most people to respect a level of distance. I almost had to yell at a customer to physically back off because he refused to comply with the rules. To be fair, I've seen worse behavior in the grocery store next door. I genuinely fear that we could be a vector for disease despite our lengthy precautions (I'd do more but the hoarders have cleared out everything from my warehouse; I can't even get bleach right now). Only about 1/3 of the customers are wearing any sort of protection, and those wearing gloves are touching their faces and so on. Just bad.

Our county has 7 confirmed cases and the local hospital is giving people with symptoms the runaround to avoid increasing the official numbers more (of they simply don't have the tests). This will not end well downstate, especially if we attempt to open back up.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Oracle posted:

My hairdresser has moved me to late May, in anticipation of the shutdown order extending to mid-May. I honestly don’t think I’m getting a haircut again this year unless I let my husband do it.

*opens binder of hairstyles, thoughtfully flips to one of the tabs* "So, which style from this section titled 'Achievable With Only A Beard Trimmer' speaks to you?" :v:

I think my haircut was scheduled for April 1. They were going to push it back to April 7th or something at the end of March, and I was like "Haha, no, just cancel it. I'll see you someday, maybe." I've just taken to brushing it straight back, John-Travolta-from-Pulp-Fiction style. Then I just put a hat on when I go outside, gently caress it.

Does nobody own a hat anymore? I'm surprised that haircuts are what people have decided to protest and melt down about.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Meanwhile, in Decatur, one of our nursing homes has turned into a death camp.

Two of my grandparents were at that facility until they died about two years ago.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

Meanwhile, in Decatur, one of our nursing homes has turned into a death camp.

Two of my grandparents were at that facility until they died about two years ago.
That's horrifying.

Sorry man. :( hope all the families get some justice.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zarin posted:

*opens binder of hairstyles, thoughtfully flips to one of the tabs* "So, which style from this section titled 'Achievable With Only A Beard Trimmer' speaks to you?" :v:

I think my haircut was scheduled for April 1. They were going to push it back to April 7th or something at the end of March, and I was like "Haha, no, just cancel it. I'll see you someday, maybe." I've just taken to brushing it straight back, John-Travolta-from-Pulp-Fiction style. Then I just put a hat on when I go outside, gently caress it.

Does nobody own a hat anymore? I'm surprised that haircuts are what people have decided to protest and melt down about.

Hah! He's actually cut our kids hair for years and has more tools than just that, but did comment that if he screws up he doesn't think I'll be as amenable to buzzing it all off. He may underestimate just how tired I am of becoming Carol Brady...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Today I realized how spoiled I was by dupage's statistics page. Poking around at counties downstate their covid reporting is a random dump of geospace equivalent static web pages.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
My husband and I both gave ourselves haircuts during week two of quarantine. He mostly just buzzed his, then tried to get me to help clean it up but I hosed it up (not really but sort of). I didn't necessarily time he'd take revenge, but I also didn't ask for his help when I busted out the scissors. I think it's pretty even all told, but the curls help with any slight unevenness.

I also immediately bought a gift certificate for my salon after cutting my own.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sailor Jerry posted:

Our county has 7 confirmed cases and the local hospital is giving people with symptoms the runaround to avoid increasing the official numbers more (of they simply don't have the tests).

Will county resident here, wife works part-time at a hospital in DuPage county.

She began having a runny nose and sore throat on April 7th, then on April 10th she was violently puking, like five times in an hour at first, but then tapered off through the day. We called the hospital's COVID line for employees, her temp was only 99, so they were like "stay home, only go to the ER if she gets dehydrated."

The puking stopped, she was able to hold down half-gatorade/half-water, then apple sauce, then broth, then rice with broth.

April 12th and 13th, she says she has a "slight" burning sensation in her lungs, she described at a "2-out-of-10 on the pain scale." A few days later, she feels better.

April 21st, she goes into the hospital to get tested so she can be cleared to work again, and we're expecting the full-on giant Q-tip up the nose to make sure she's not contagious anymore. NOPE! They check her temp, go over the symptom checklist, and clear her to work again. No actual "testing" done.

I've heard of people being contagious up to 30 days after they stop having symptoms, so I'm not happy.

Oh well, hope I don't die!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's the same reaction my wife got at the hospital she works at in Kane county.

Either they can't give a gently caress because of insufficient resources or refuse to because they think they aren't liable. :shrug:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They just don't have the tests.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Looks like the IL stay-at-home order will have another leg from 01 May 2020 to 30 May 2020.

It sounds like there are going to be some new items in this - face coverings will be required in public, but some restrictions will be loosened, and some elective surgeries will be permitted.

Not sure what the punishment for not wearing a mask in public will be. I'll be very interested to read the full text of the order when it's available.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Zarin posted:

Not sure what the punishment for not wearing a mask in public will be.

J.B. gets to rub his sweaty moobs in your face.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There won't be any punishment for not wearing a mask for a lot of reasons. Cops have way more important things to do than even writing you a ticket for not wearing a mask. Beside, the state would probably have to pass a law anyway for them to even do anything about. Punishment, at best, will be someone yelling at you to wear a mask.

There is probably some way for small barbershops and salons to reopen. Everyone in masks and gloves, only remove the mask to cut hair, everything must be sanitized after each client, only a few people allowed in the place at a time, chairs 6' apart, and I'm sure a few other things. Don't know if it's really worth it though, but I do really need a haircut. I should have run to my barber those few days in between schools closing and before the full state shutdown.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Bloomington/Normal Kroger Update -
It was basically 40% masks/60% not today. Still not great! Even worse, the folks without masks gave no shits whatsoever about social distancing. None whatsoever.

In better "general Illinois interest" news, I finally got around to listening to the five-part series about The Fool Killer on one of my favorite podcasts, Chicago-based The Constant.

You may remember hearing about the Fool Killer - a mysterious 40' submarine dredged out of the Chicago River in the early 20th Century. Nobody knows how it got there, who put it there, or why in the world there'd be a submarine in the Chicago River.

Well, it's one hell of a ride - he explores all the popular theories - and I think the guy actually solved the mystery? It's a wild ride, funny, and completely worth the listen.

https://www.constantpodcast.com/episodes/the-foolkiller-pt-1-tears-falling-from-the-sky

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

LabyaMynora posted:

J.B. gets to rub his sweaty moobs in your face.

Only if he's wearing his suit jacket while doing it :swoon:

Later on in the Q&A he said that it would just be people encouraging each other to do it, and private establishments could turn people away without 'em

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Welp, Dipshit Chud from my area is suing the Governor for “violating his civil rights”.

https://capitolfax.com/2020/04/23/l...to-block-order/

“Tactical Vest wearing dumbass” posted:

State Rep. Darren Bailey filed a lawsuit today (April 23) against Governor J.B. Pritzker for a violation of civil rights.

“My lawsuit asks the court to find that Gov. Pritzker overextended his power by issuing additional ‘stay at home’ orders after his original disaster proclamation, which expired on April 9th, 2020,” said Bailey
(R-Xenia).

“Enough is enough. I filed this lawsuit on behalf of myself and my constituents who are ready to go back to work and resume a normal life.

While special emergency powers were granted to the governor through the Emergency Management Act in the late 1980’s by the Illinois General assembly, the unprecedented power and authority he wields under the current crisis calls for an immediate review and reconsideration of legislative intent.”

Also, his region just had a nursing home have 25 residents and 10 workers test positive for the virus but no mention of this.

He also spent the weekend going on a “common sense tour” where he drove around to different towns and complained about businesses not being open before going to Planned Parenthood and complaining about abortion.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Welp, Dipshit Chud from my area is suing the Governor for “violating his civil rights”.

https://capitolfax.com/2020/04/23/l...to-block-order/

Also, his region just had a nursing home have 25 residents and 10 workers test positive for the virus but no mention of this.

He also spent the weekend going on a “common sense tour” where he drove around to different towns and complained about businesses not being open before going to Planned Parenthood and complaining about abortion.

At this point, just make it so that employers can't force employees to work if they don't feel safe, and make everyone who doesn't want to quarantine waive their rights to hospitalization.

gently caress these people.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

and make everyone who doesn't want to quarantine waive their rights to hospitalization.

Isn't it pretty likely that insurance won't cover people who refused to quarantine?

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Wonder how fast they'll hop on the "health care is a right" bus when that happens.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

LabyaMynora posted:

At this point, just make it so that employers can't force employees to work if they don't feel safe, and make everyone who doesn't want to quarantine waive their rights to hospitalization.

Instead we're going to indemnify companies from any liability at all lol

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I have now witnessed conservative people saying that Pritzker is a worse Governor than Blago....

Nothing means anything anymore.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have now witnessed conservative people saying that Pritzker is a worse Governor than Blago....

Nothing means anything anymore.

gently caress 'em, they'll be dead of coronavirus before the next gubernatorial election. The entire conservative movement has been reduced to a bunch of bug chasers to "own the libs."

Also, Prtizker beat Rauner 54.5%-38.8%. I bet he wins re-election with upwards of 60% of the vote. If the IL Republican Party wants to go the way of the CA Republican Party, they can please proceed.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Looks like the circus is starting in Louisville. Being Louisville, I expect the judge will ultimately side with Bailey.

https://twitter.com/979Xfm/status/1254830016791281664?s=19

Edit: And the judge has put a restraining order on the executive order.

https://twitter.com/wandtvnews/status/1254874215754485760?s=19

midwest ink fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

midwest ink posted:

Edit: And the judge has put a restraining order on the executive order.

https://twitter.com/wandtvnews/status/1254874215754485760?s=19
So this is just literally for this one dude, right?

It lists this one dude specifically by name.