Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tobermory posted:

Thanks, everyone. I'll steer them in the direction of Securedrop.
I feel cheated of the entertainment that could have been provided if you had only dug in your heels and started arguing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"I am a javascript master watch me disable your right click on this page :cool: "

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Axe-man posted:

"I am a javascript master watch me disable your right click on this page :cool: "

(C) 2020 Axe-man Do not steal source code

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Axe-man posted:

That & sites that disable the marking of text (or even worse, add some stupid disclaimer when you copy & paste like used to be popular with newspapers some years back) are the worst.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I like the ones that shuffled the letters, and then had a corresponding font to unshuffle the letters. Copying would just give you nonsense, even viewing the source. It must have killed seo, but maybe they were cheating that.

Also gently caress sites that block paste in form fields. I have the don't gently caress with paste extension installed pretty much everywhere.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tobermory posted:

Question for the goons in this thread:

I'm working on a project with an international non-profit org. One of the things they want is an ability for people to file anonymous whistle-blowing complaints over the web. These complaints could potentially piss off a whole bunch of people, including foreign governments, human traffickers, and organized crime. The application part of this is (relatively) straight-forward, but hosting the application is out of my expertise. Their hosting needs to be secure (so it doesn't get hacked in retaliation) and anonymous (so that the whistleblowers don't get murdered in retaliation).

Does anyone have some suggestions for a really secure, anonymous, online hosting platform? The preference would be for someone that doesn't, for example, log IP addresses; alternately, we'd be fine with a host who would respond to subpoenas by telling a government to gently caress off.

This kind of stuff terrifies me. I put myself in those shoes and the only reaction I see myself having when being told this is my responsibility is "People who REALLY know what they are doing should be in charge of this.". If people really are going to be potentially murdered over data you are trying to protect, asking for a referral on the SA forums seems like a step too far some how. I hope it works out though.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Sickening posted:

This kind of stuff terrifies me. I put myself in those shoes and the only reaction I see myself having when being told this is my responsibility is "People who REALLY know what they are doing should be in charge of this.". If people really are going to be potentially murdered over data you are trying to protect, asking for a referral on the SA forums seems like a step too far some how. I hope it works out though.

Oh, we're putting people who know what they're doing in charge of things. I'm supposed to help them out in finding some of those people. It's the standard issue where an organization needs technical expertise, but doesn't have enough technical expertise to know what to ask for. Getting pointed in the right direction is incredibly helpful.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
It's actually very encouraging when an organization's leaders are wise enough to say, "Actually we can't just wing this."

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Tobermory posted:

Oh, we're putting people who know what they're doing in charge of things. I'm supposed to help them out in finding some of those people. It's the standard issue where an organization needs technical expertise, but doesn't have enough technical expertise to know what to ask for. Getting pointed in the right direction is incredibly helpful.

Pissing off organized crime, human traffickers, and repressive governments is the kind of thing that might get productive attention from big names in the infosec/crypto worlds, especially if your organization or people in it have a solid track record in that space.

Also, you're talking about entering an adversarial space, with some of the most determined and well-funded adversaries on the planet. You're not going to be able to out-hire them on the open market. Your best shot is to take advantage of highly talented people who are more driven by ideals than money.

I'd drop an email to Bruce Schneier with the same basic ask you have here: what you're trying to do, what kind of help you need (probably just recommended tools and introductions to anyone who can help), and why it's important. He might or might not be able to give you a meaningful response, but it's at least worth the ask.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Reach out to Runa Sandvik on Twitter (or I can intro you if you PM me). She has worked on this stuff for newspapers and advises NGOs on this stuff post-NYT. When I was working on state-adversary stuff she was very helpful.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

It looks like the current plan is that we're going to reach out to the Freedom of the Press Foundation directly, and work with them to set up securedrop.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Reach out to Runa Sandvik on Twitter (or I can intro you if you PM me)
This is v good advice.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Lambert posted:

That & sites that disable the marking of text (or even worse, add some stupid disclaimer when you copy & paste like used to be popular with newspapers some years back) are the worst.

My bank's disabled ctrl+a on the password field of its login page for some reason. So when you fat-finger your password and instinctively press ctrl+a and start typing again, it doesn't select the text so instead of overwriting the password you append to it. I mailed them about it and it got escalated and the response from some dummy is that it's been disabled for "security reasons".

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Do they think you can copy the password out of the password field?

Is it even a real password field? :ohdear:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Its not a bug if its a security feature!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

klosterdev posted:

Its not a bug if its a security feature!

New thread title.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If it's a real password field, you can just edit the html inline to copy the password out. Not that that's any defense of that nonsense.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

azurite posted:

Do they think you can copy the password out of the password field?

Is it even a real password field? :ohdear:

When I first sent them a query about it, I got this:

quote:

Kindly be advised that for security reasons the Ctrl + A option is disabled.
However you can use your mouse and curser to highlight the incorrect content and delete it.

So I asked what security benefit was gained by disabling ctrl+a, and I got this:

quote:

This is not a normal text field. It hides text and allows users to view their input by clicking the eye icon.
Clients would need to be vigilant when logging into any secure channel. It is a security feature and will not be ‘downgraded’ in future. Clients can view the field by clicking the eye icon on the side.

I suspect whatever they're doing to make the magical eye icon work broke ctrl+a somehow and when the dev couldn't fix it they said it was intentional because it's a security feature and nobody bothered to question it so now it's wont-fix by-design instead.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Internet Explorer posted:

If it's a real password field, you can just edit the html inline to copy the password out. Not that that's any defense of that nonsense.

Uh-oh! Better disable right click then! That will stop them. I am very smart.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I like the ones that shuffled the letters, and then had a corresponding font to unshuffle the letters. Copying would just give you nonsense, even viewing the source. It must have killed seo, but maybe they were cheating that.

Also gently caress sites that block paste in form fields. I have the don't gently caress with paste extension installed pretty much everywhere.

Because people with vision impairments can’t use computers. Oh, what’s that? Screen readers? You’re talking nonsense. Their man-servant Enrique can read the screen for them.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

beuges posted:

So I asked what security benefit was gained by disabling ctrl+a, and I got this:

I suspect whatever they're doing to make the magical eye icon work broke ctrl+a somehow and when the dev couldn't fix it they said it was intentional because it's a security feature and nobody bothered to question it so now it's wont-fix by-design instead.

Isn't chromium introducing the native password revealer thanks to edgium putting it into upstream?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

beuges posted:

did they also disable shift+end and double clicking in the password field?

beuges
Jul 4, 2005

Mr Chips posted:

did they also disable shift+end and double clicking in the password field?

shift+arrow, shift-home and shift-end don't select anything, but double-clicking does select the whole field. you can also select anything using the mouse as usual. also, if you position the cursor anywhere in the middle of the password and then press the right-arrow, instead of moving the cursor one character to the right, it jumps straight to the end. :ninja:

BanditCat
Apr 27, 2005
oops I wrote my own crypto
https://github.com/BanditCat/jdubi

BanditCat fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 29, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

*Angrily taps thread title

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a browser that does support Wireguard internally and can run as portable install? Looking for this for my new workplace.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a browser that does support Wireguard internally and can run as portable install? Looking for this for my new workplace.

The browser add-on version of Firefox's VPN service works that way, but is limited to 12 hours a month and locked onto mullvad's servers

https://fpn.firefox.com/browser

A little surprised nobody has forked it to work with e.g. cloudflare's (unmetered) VPN servers instead

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm thanks, I'll look into it. I'm mostly interested in such a thing, because the new workplace uses thin clients to RDP sessions on virtual Windows Servers. During pauses, I'd like to route my poo poo over my home, or I guess Mullvad.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Might be easier to use SSH as a socks proxy than wireguard

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rufus Ping posted:

Might be easier to use SSH as a socks proxy than wireguard

Agreed, that's my standard setup for getting around the office's site blocking so I can read the forums at work testing our website from a remote location. I even keep a separate Firefox profile for the SOCKS connection, with a visually-distinct theme so I don't mix it up with a browser for actual work stuff.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
odd request....that I'm hoping is eye-rollingly easy for the smart lot of you...

I'm looking for protocols from the early 00's. Stuff like WEP, TCP/IP, SSL/TLS, SKEME, IKE as they existed at a particlar time back then. I don't know enough about this stuff to know where to look for these. There are a lot of "Histories of the development of the protocols" type stuff, but where do I go for the actual standards?

Thanks everyone, it's obvious I don't know what I'm doing so I appreciate it.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
On display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You could try wearing a towel, it works against more fearsome beasts than the leopard.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

klosterdev posted:

On display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard."

yeah, I get it, but I've been asked to go get this stuff, so...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AARP LARPer posted:

odd request....that I'm hoping is eye-rollingly easy for the smart lot of you...

I'm looking for protocols from the early 00's. Stuff like WEP, TCP/IP, SSL/TLS, SKEME, IKE as they existed at a particlar time back then. I don't know enough about this stuff to know where to look for these. There are a lot of "Histories of the development of the protocols" type stuff, but where do I go for the actual standards?

All the old RFCs like 1122 and 1123 and even 780 (760? IP) should be still on the IETF’s site, no? When they’re obsoleted they aren’t removed, just amended to reference the subsequent RFC. Once you know what version you want, you can usually chase the “Obsoletes” links backwards in time until you find it.

E: these are the de jure standards; to see any variations needed to interoperate or otherwise succeed practically, you might have to consult contemporaneous source code from browsers and kernels and such

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

All the old RFCs like 1122 and 1123 and even 780 (760? IP) should be still on the IETF’s site, no? When they’re obsoleted they aren’t removed, just amended to reference the subsequent RFC. Once you know what version you want, you can usually chase the “Obsoletes” links backwards in time until you find it.

E: these are the de jure standards; to see any variations needed to interoperate or otherwise succeed practically, you might have to consult contemporaneous source code from browsers and kernels and such

Thank you! This is exactly the type of starting point I was hoping for. As for wearing a towel, that's happening on May 25th, you amateur. Take care, everyone!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1257284701770911746

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Seems like the most likely thread for people to have experiences with yubikeys, my computer choked trying to read mine today and couldn't enumerate the USB, after plugging it in and out it saw it fine... Y'all have experience with yubikeys going bad or anything? This thing is years old at this point and I've never seen a USB die unless I accidently jammed it in the slot the wrong way or there is a real electrical short.

Mostly trying to gauge if I should get a replacement or chalk it up as a fluke. For the record it pretty much never leaves the USB hub it's plugged into (home desktop), which is why I'm giving it any thought.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Mr. Crow posted:

Seems like the most likely thread for people to have experiences with yubikeys, my computer choked trying to read mine today and couldn't enumerate the USB, after plugging it in and out it saw it fine... Y'all have experience with yubikeys going bad or anything? This thing is years old at this point and I've never seen a USB die unless I accidently jammed it in the slot the wrong way or there is a real electrical short.

Mostly trying to gauge if I should get a replacement or chalk it up as a fluke. For the record it pretty much never leaves the USB hub it's plugged into (home desktop), which is why I'm giving it any thought.

Probably just a random usb glitch

I've never had issues with them.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

AARP LARPer posted:

usually just googling "[thing] RFC" will get you where you need to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
from a month ago RE china's firewall and VPNs:

They use deep packet inspection and recognize the setup handshake of most common VPN protocols. There's patches to openVPN that apply xor with a 32-bit key to the entire packet specifically to make it more difficult to detect. The idea is you setup your own server & client with a random shared xor key and the DPI boxes can't detect it as an illegal VPN app.

It's nearly impossible to do anything useful over there given how locked down everything is and how rampant hacked-up versions of things are because they're either pirated or working around the firewall or the god-awful disaster that are native Chinese android forks.