Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

I can't really bring myself to throw it away since it was my first new desktop and as far as I know still works flawlessly, but I increasingly suspect I'll never have a use for it again. Even if I found a use for which it was capable, power use compared to a newer system makes that not a good idea. Using it as a classic gaming machine has some superficial appeal but when I consider the difficulty involved in setting up a new install of Windows XP in 2020, I think I'll try to stick to VMs and GOG ports.

I just kept my first processor for nostalgia and recycled the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

All the Z490 boards are "leaking" (does it count as leaks when the board vendors themselves are sending out high res pictures?) prior to the launch next Thursday. Here is Gigabytes entire line.

The two big takeaways for me are that the Intel 2.5g discrete NIC is actually making it pretty dang deep into the product stacks, including on the ITX boards. And also that apparently all the boards are PCIe 4.0 "ready" for Rocket Lake, because Comet Lake doesnt actually supply PCIe 4.0 lanes.

https://videocardz.com/newz/entire-gigabyte-z490-motherboard-lineup-leaks

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can we just jump to 10G already. That should last the common folk 50 years?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Shaocaholica posted:

Can we just jump to 10G already. That should last the common folk 50 years?

My understanding is 10Gb ethernet is still prohibitively expensive for home use. 10Gb RJ45 NICs are north of $100 new last I looked, and switching gear is likewise quite expensive. I can very much see why they aren't stuffing those into consumer-grade boards.

Anyone who wants to do 10+Gb should just get some gently used fiber equipment off eBay, where you can get a $30 NIC and a $5 10Gb SFP, a $100 switch and be off to the races.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
But why is it so expensive still? Are the parts that much harder to make or just a catch-22 of economy of scale not caught up yet?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaocaholica posted:

But why is it so expensive still? Are the parts that much harder to make or just a catch-22 of economy of scale not caught up yet?

It is 10x the data of gigabit, which is a lot of data for a multiport router/switch to shuffle around. Which means the ASIC on board need to be more than just the regular $1 off the shelf microprocs they use in a lot of switches. Which means routers/switches are more expensive and have more annoying cooling than home users are used to. Which means there arent really any 10gig home routers like people are used to, and the switches that do exist are like $400 for 5 ports.

Intel and a few others have pushed 2.5gig and 5gig as intermediate steps on the path to 10gig as a way to get cheaper NICs and especially cheaper switches onto the market, but the home market has been pretty recalcitrant so far and small business pretty much moved straight to 10gig.

Getting 2.5gig onto a huge amount of desktop boards will hopefully start to push the multigig wave a bit. It is a similar story to 1gig, which really took cheap integrated 1gig NICs being ubiquitous before the rest of the hardware adopted it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess wifi took a lot of steam out of Ethernet development. Our company could use 10G to desktops but we have way too many clients.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

In addition to the above, the physical networking requirements to jam 10x more data into the same four pairs of twisted wire as we've had since 10Mbps ethernet is not at all trivial. Yeah, I know, tolerances are tighter on CAT6 and it's more twists to reduce crosstalk and yadda yadda, but the point is that 10Gb is rough to ram down copper like that at any reasonable length: there's a reason Thunderbolt is limited to 3 meters. The NICs just have to do a lot more to make it work. That's part of why you don't really see 10Gb copper all that often even in enterprise: it's expensive, power hungry, and kinda obnoxious to install. Fiber is better on all those fronts, in addition to often offering a pretty painless path up to 40Gb or higher if you want it. Without datacenters really clamoring for 10Gb copper, I'd assume that the economies of scale don't work out in its favor, either.

e; FWIW, I can say that other than for some oddities during initial setup the ~$140 MikroTik CRS305 4xSFP+ switch works quite well (if rather warm) for home use--I can get >9Gbps over it without any need for tuning or futzing with it in SwOS mode.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 23, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I thought 2.5 can still be run over the Cat5e installations that most homes have if they are lucky enough to have been pre-wired

I'd love 10G even with some expensive and noisy used enterprise equipment but I'm not running new Cat6 in my walls

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought 2.5 can still be run over the Cat5e installations that most homes have if they are lucky enough to have been pre-wired

I'd love 10G even with some expensive and noisy used enterprise equipment but I'm not running new Cat6 in my walls

Depends on length and quality of install, but yeah, there's a decent chance it'd work. The whole "need to rewire everything" is a big drawback to Cat6(a). If I were custom wiring a house now, I'd be real tempted to just run OM4 fiber through conduit and call it a day. Most things that can't use SFP+'s are fine on good wireless these days, and if you really want to wire up your TV or PS5, you can use a $40 RJ45<->SFP+ converter anyhow. It'll be a long time before networking outpaces OM4, and that stuff is pretty cheap.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

WhyteRyce posted:

5G can be run over CAT5e, plus or minus quality of install and age. And really, 5G would be amazing as is, that's 5/6ths of a SATA 3.0 connection, plus or minus overhead.

I can imagine what manipulating data over a network like it was a local SSD inside my own machine feels like and it makes me smile.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can imagine what manipulating data over a network like it was a local SSD inside my own machine feels like and it makes me smile.

If only it were that easy. Without getting a bit esoteric, it's hard to get latency down far enough to make it "feel" like truly local access, especially if you're addressing a server that has to allow for multiple concurrent users (and if it's not...what's even the point? You can already shove a desktop in a closet and do a kb/m+monitor a fair distance away).

Which is, I suspect, another reason >1Gb ethernet has been slow to catch on: most of us don't need it. 1Gb internet is a rarity in the US and there aren't many places in the world where >1Gb is really available. Streaming even 4k video is easily handled by GigE, and most people aren't routinely pushing around multi-TB datastores. It just...isn't needed outside us fringe weirdos with our diskshelves and reclaimed servers for whom, again, fiber is superior in almost every way anyhow.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NVMeOF or bust

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Unironically, yeah.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Serve The Home has gotten 10gbps from really short Cat5e if I remember correct.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah I’ve done it too, with a little ipoplex 10GBaseT SFP+ adapter. I didn’t test for prolonged periods and it was only like a 10 ft cable but it got similar performance to my “real” SFP cable.

I think if it’s a sub 10m or maybe 20m run it’ll work ok. The spec is designed around 100m runs which are not common in home setups. At some point you may start losing some packets but that’s what tcp is for.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
10g or higher sfp is cheaper and easier to run if you just want a point to point link that runs really fast. 100g nics are sub 1k if you gotta go fast

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dual 100Gb on a Gen4 x16 for NVMe-oF :getin:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

10g or higher sfp is cheaper and easier to run if you just want a point to point link that runs really fast. 100g nics are sub 1k if you gotta go fast

Yeah, fiber is a lot cheaper and easier to do if you're able/willing to get used stuff. And now that 4-port SFP+ switches are under $150, you can do a reasonable setup beyond just point-to-point for cheap.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

priznat posted:

Suddenly I want this.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

:rip: I realized my Thermalright's fan blocks one ram slot if the ram has 1337 shroud/heatsink/whatever.

Is there any meaningful difference to have the fan pulling air through the cooler, on the other side of the cooler, instead of pushing air through?

Edit: apparently the difference is like 1-2C depending on setup so I'll just move the fan.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/cooling/dominic-moass/fan-config-does-it-matter-testing-push-vs-pull-vs-pushpull/2/

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 25, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Suddenly I want this.

Mellanox mcx516-cdat, they are pretty great for rdma stuff.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ihmemies posted:

:rip: I realized my Thermalright's fan blocks one ram slot if the ram has 1337 shroud/heatsink/whatever.

Is there any meaningful difference to have the fan pulling air through the cooler, on the other side of the cooler, instead of pushing air through?

It can, but is dependent on heatsink geometry on a per-model basis, which means you'll have to test for yourself.

About the only concrete thing that can be said across all cases is that when mounted to suck air, dust and hair will accumulate on the intake side of the fin stack, which will be far easier to clean than if mounted to blow, which would sandwich dust and detritus in between the fan and fin stack.

Less of an issue with tower air coolers, particularly since most of them have means to quickly remove fans for cleaning, whether it's those wires or whatever, but I definitely always make my top-and-back-mounted radiators suck air for that reason alone.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah I’ve done it too, with a little ipoplex 10GBaseT SFP+ adapter. I didn’t test for prolonged periods and it was only like a 10 ft cable but it got similar performance to my “real” SFP cable.

I think if it’s a sub 10m or maybe 20m run it’ll work ok. The spec is designed around 100m runs which are not common in home setups. At some point you may start losing some packets but that’s what tcp is for.
You got similar bandwidth characteristics, sure - which is great is if you're using it for bulk storage, but there's one thing RJ45 can't get you.
SFP, or SFP+, has much lower latency by an order of magnitude - so if you've got ZFS with its ARC as well as an L2ARC and mirrored SLOG on SSDs, and you're doing iSCSI storage (or even iSCSI boot, which most SFP/+ controllers can do), you'll notice a difference.

priznat posted:

What the christ, they make NVMe-over-fabric?! Well that's clearly going to be even faster, and on top of it I think you can use the link aggregation of those two NICs even better, because NVMe has multiple queues.
They're probably also so expensive that if you have to ask for the price, you can't afford them - because they're the kind of thing you buy only once you've got an all-flash RAID array of some kind.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Those cards are about $1k each, and then the cables are fairly spendy too.

NVMe-oF is definitely pretty niche, not really something home users have a use case (or wallet) for!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

priznat posted:

NVMe-oF is definitely pretty niche, not really something home users have a use case (or wallet) for!

...yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:haw: :agreed:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

priznat posted:

100gb is ok but if you’ve got Gen4 (not in the Intel thread lol) and you’re not running 200gb HDR are you even trying?

For the homelab 10G/40G Mellanox IB/Eth adapters on eBay are dirt cheap and fiberstore will sell you optics or dacs for a few bucks

mostly point to point tho; switching can be a challenge

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, 10Gb switches are getting to be pretty reasonable, but 40Gb is still gonna cost you a pretty penny and come in rack-mount format.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

PCIe over fiber is awesome. Hardware and (some) software for it has been flirting around since 2010 but if we’ve gotten to the point where the data center guys have NVMeOF...guess it’s hitting some level of “mature”.

Also, regarding 2.5Gb/5GbE NICs...the other “odd” product mismatch of sorts in terms of roadmaps seems to be the new Wi-Fi 6 APs. As I understand it, not a lot of inexpensive switches out there with the mix of a pile of copper 1GbE ports, maybe 4-8 2.5Gb/5Gb ports and then the 4 SFP+ cages.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I honestly can’t think of anything a home user in the next 50years would need to connect with 100G. Maybe VR related but that won’t use a networking interface but maybe the same protocol? And VR is probably going to get more wireless not less.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Shaocaholica posted:

I honestly can’t think of anything a home user in the next 50years would need to connect with 100G. Maybe VR related but that won’t use a networking interface but maybe the same protocol? And VR is probably going to get more wireless not less.

VR S3xx+rr

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

sincx posted:

the only thing I can think of that would requure a point-to-point 100Gbit/sec connection would be a light field 3D display

Is that just going to be a bunch of stacked ‘traditional’ 2D display channels with some optimization.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How much is 120fps stereo uncompressed 8K

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 25, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
No one watches stereo on a traditional screen tho

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Single 8k120 is right around 100gbit, depending on how you encode it.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
More for HDR.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
IMO 8k isn’t going to take off except for VR maybe but there’s plenty of tricks yet and you probably don’t need 8K density across the entire FOV anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shaocaholica posted:

I remember this exact quote about 100BaseT and then gigabit.