Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
They ruined Tass' force wall by giving it that slightly longer cast time. I feel like I'm missing at least half of the walls that would have hit before.

Typically you could be chasing and cast it at max range and catch someone barely and shove them back towards you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The more I play this game again after months of not touching it the more I realize the only healers I enjoy playing are thrall and anduin

Edit not thrall the other orc whatever his name is rehgar or something

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2020

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm a big fan of Juice Daddy, myself

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Grimdude posted:

They ruined Tass' force wall by giving it that slightly longer cast time. I feel like I'm missing at least half of the walls that would have hit before.

Typically you could be chasing and cast it at max range and catch someone barely and shove them back towards you.

I mean, they counteracted that by making Q build so ridiculously overpowered you’re never chasing anyone, because they’re all dead, so who cares.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Yeah maybe against silver players. It's super telegraphed and roots him in place.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah the q always seem slow enough to just walk out of the way

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tass's Q hurts like fresh hell, especially if you take the Quest for it, but it's real fuckin' slow and that cast time feels like an eternity.

Also the effect feels insanely low-effort.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

man the people in this game are still insanely loving bad and toxic even for a blizzard game

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

banned from Starbucks posted:

man the people in this game are still insanely loving bad and toxic even for a blizzard game

It's because the game sticks you with the absolute biggest idiots if you're even passably good. Rank incompetence is the norm.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Also, the game has drifted far more into the style of highly mobile, burst characters, like someone on the HOTS team really wishes they'd got to work on another MOBA.

It's very easy to perceive someone as bad, but they're often being blown up 100-0 in less than two seconds, and really their only crime was positioning, (and arguably now, people like Zeratul/Valeera can use Cloak of Shadows and Blink to barely give a gently caress about that.) That gets them in the respawn queue just before objective, that costs the team objective, someone goes on tilt and the whole thing death spirals.

Quick Match being 'blind' and the Matchmaker thinking it's funny to make such weird lineups then just exaggerates it, and you can have games functionally lost at the loading screen.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Kaal posted:

It's because the game sticks you with the absolute biggest idiots if you're even passably good. Rank incompetence is the norm.

One of the reasons I quit playing was getting into repeated matches where I was told to carry people 800+ MMR below me in a game designed against the idea of a carry or being tossed into games where my team had 600+ MMR better than the enemy team which turned it into a complete stomp which was also not fun. The matchmaker really prioritizes getting into games fast and the laughably small playerbase even 2 years ago means you get incredibly unbalanced matches.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Aaod posted:

One of the reasons I quit playing was getting into repeated matches where I was told to carry people 800+ MMR below me in a game designed against the idea of a carry or being tossed into games where my team had 600+ MMR better than the enemy team which turned it into a complete stomp which was also not fun. The matchmaker really prioritizes getting into games fast and the laughably small playerbase even 2 years ago means you get incredibly unbalanced matches.

The player level is just so abysmal. Last game I had a siege Tassadar who went 3/11, and a suicidal Tracer who went 4/15! What are you supposed to do with that? I'd be hard pressed dying that much from walking into walls. I spent all game holding the team together as Butcher, but even 400 meat couldn't overcome what was effectively a 3v5 disadvantage. I like games that reward teamwork, but at a certain point it just feels like you're playing Harrison Bergeron (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron), and any success on your part is just rewarded with even worse teammates.

Aaod
May 29, 2004

Kaal posted:

The player level is just so abysmal. Last game I had a siege Tassadar who went 3/11, and a suicidal Tracer who went 4/15! What are you supposed to do with that? I'd be hard pressed dying that much from walking into walls. I spent all game holding the team together as Butcher, but even 400 meat couldn't overcome what was effectively a 3v5 disadvantage. I like games that reward teamwork, but at a certain point it just feels like you're playing Harrison Bergeron (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron), and any success on your part is just rewarded with even worse teammates.

Once you get to a certain point of skill it just becomes a scenario of permagroup with people with similar skill level or gently caress you because solo queue is just not worth it because the matchmaker can't handle it and will actively punish you for being competent. Stomping the enemy team or being stomped because you have 1-2 morons on your team is just not fun nor is farming the idiots on the enemy team repeatedly. Back in the day I had games as Nova or Stitches where I would kill the same one or two people 10+ times in a game because their positioning was bad effectively making every team fight a 4 vs 5 or 3 vs 5. I was not even that good either the player skill in HOTS is just shockingly low which would be fine if the player base was gigantic, but it is not.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Kaal posted:

I just played my first game in like 2-3 years and the first game I played was me (level ~650) and four other players that were all level 10-20, verses like a level 100, 200, 200, 100, 50. Outside of hero league does QM go by average level or something? Because I'm pretty mediocre (I think like gold2 or 3 was highest I ever got) and that's....not great because I basically was just farming dudes every rotation to get gold bonuses between level 5-10. Somehow we managed to win because the enemy team had no idea how to counter stutter stepping Raynor and just kept chasing me around

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I just played my first game in like 2-3 years and the first game I played was me (level ~650) and four other players that were all level 10-20, verses like a level 100, 200, 200, 100, 50. Outside of hero league does QM go by average level or something?
QM has a hidden MMR. Matchmaker probably gives returning players easy matches to warm up instead of throwing rusty players in the deep end. Similarly, it treats your MMR as lower when you try a new hero.

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I just played my first game in like 2-3 years and the first game

This also has a hand in it. People who leave for a while get in a weirdo queue where you end up playing a lot of Cursed Hollow. It happened to me when I decided to try the game 'for real' and not just get the Genji skin (now I play hots more than OW, lmao).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

queue as an assassin...no healer...no tank....

ok queue as a tank and a bruiser...no assassins

thanks bliz

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I have lots of matches where I queue as tank/bruiser/assassin and we got no healer.

I also have lots of matches where I queue as healer, and end up with a 2 or even 3 healer team.

One time I queued as a group, me being Zarya and having 3 healers. As a joke. We died laughing on the loading screen when our random fifth player was HEALER #4

(we won, because it was AI)

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Haven't played this game in over a year, but remember when Talents were Gated behind character levels? What a spectacularly bad idea that was.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It kind-of sort-of made sense when there were a lot more generic talents and talents were a lot more balanced and the idea was that you eased players into learning the character before they dove into using them competitively.

Still a bad idea, mind you, but it made sense at the time.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
That reminds me of what happen the other day and how horrible this game is for new players now. Yesterday I was in a game where I thought a teammate of mine was trolling. It was a Jania who ended the game with 5k damage, a death per min., and using ring of frost on minions. After the game I looked at her profile, it was literally their 1st game ever on hots. I am level 1,200 and the average level of other people in that game was at least lvl 500. How in the world did a level 1 get put in our game on my team. I doubt that person will play for long since everyone of the team was cursing them.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

ToxicToast posted:

That reminds me of what happen the other day and how horrible this game is for new players now. Yesterday I was in a game where I thought a teammate of mine was trolling. It was a Jania who ended the game with 5k damage, a death per min., and using ring of frost on minions. After the game I looked at her profile, it was literally their 1st game ever on hots. I am level 1,200 and the average level of other people in that game was at least lvl 500. How in the world did a level 1 get put in our game on my team. I doubt that person will play for long since everyone of the team was cursing them.

This game has a very shallow player pool and just tosses whoever at each other

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010

ToxicToast posted:

I have noticed that every game I get into usually pairs me with a minimum of one person who is extremely under leveled compared to mine. It's obviously not OK, but less people playing combined with Blizz not caring means it is the new norm I guess.

Also good God, the dev team needs to stop doing these Reddit AMAs.

Every question: Hey, are you guys going to add blank feature or fix blank bug/matchmaking?

Dev: *types entire paragraph(s) to say "No."

Reddit is confused and angry as to why the devs won't give them a roadmap for a game with no future that could have it's skeleton crew support pulled any time now.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
don't worry, I'm sure reddit will still find time to rage about Ragnaros skins.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

No Wave posted:

don't worry, I'm sure reddit will still find time to rage about Ragnaros skins.

It is kind of lame Rag just doesn't get skins cause I guess it's too much work or whatever. At the very least he should have a water themed skin.

Although on the other hand, the baby Rag just looks so much better than the regular one, I'd want a water themed version of THAT skin

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

tbh its loving wild to me that there isn't a dark nexus rag considering that the dark nexus "thing" is making characters all chunky and removing 80% of their body mass

"oh rag's foot-swirls are too hard to translate into another skin!!!"

just cover it in dark nexus particles like you have for everything else, dipshits

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kith posted:

tbh its loving wild to me that there isn't a dark nexus rag considering that the dark nexus "thing" is making characters all chunky and removing 80% of their body mass

"oh rag's foot-swirls are too hard to translate into another skin!!!"

just cover it in dark nexus particles like you have for everything else, dipshits

As long as lava wave gets the dark nexus particle effect as well.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

cassia got a rework nobody asked for and tracer has lifesteal by default now

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Hell, this is a huge patch. I'm excited for cassia and tracer, but there are a bunch of really interesting rejiggerings on basically 60% of my favorite characters. I wasn't aware orphea needed buffs, but here we are :shrug:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

I think people have been wanting a rework of Cassia for quite some time, but perhaps not like this. I haven't played her yet though so maybe it's good, who knows.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cassia was one of the few Assassins that had a viable niche if you wanted to draft around it, but was also a decent generalist that could slot into almost any team. Her build options were okay and she only had a few subpar talents.

Of course, I'm not complaining - the new Cassia is swole as gently caress and much more pleasant to play overall. However, she didn't need a rework and I have never seen anyone ask for one, so it's kinda coming out of nowhere.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

nu-tracer is fuckin' stuuuuuuuuuupid

what idiot thought that double melee would be balanced

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Cassia feels like the ~350 base hp nerf was too much, to me. But I love her new mechanics and talents other than that.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

You have to have Avoidance up to full strength at all times or you'll get mulched, yeah. Her Basic Attack build is a real trap because of it - Avoidance just barely doesn't time out if you stutter-step perfectly, and you need as much Avoidance uptime as you can manage to overcome the reduced Basic Attack Range. There are just too many elements working against each other for it to be really viable.

Fend build is surprisingly potent and Q build is still as nasty as it ever was (arguably moreso).

Karma Guard
Jun 21, 2006
Just one spray keeps bad karma away!
I just want to sit down whoever worked on Tracer and ask them why.

You can get a pulse bomb in the starting crapshoot now and it sucks.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Karma Guard posted:

I just want to sit down whoever worked on Tracer and ask them why.

You can get a pulse bomb in the starting crapshoot now and it sucks.
All the devs who knew why she was nerfed into niche playability have left and the newcomers need to learn again.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah i'm glad I can now play Tracer again.

Hopefully the next patch they buff Genji.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah i'm glad I can now play Tracer again.

Hopefully the next patch they buff Genji.

:getout:

Tracer can't go over terrain in multiple ways, she's never been half as bad as Genji. I hope the xyberweeb stays in the dumpster forever to be frank.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

i've always hated tracer a lot more. Like a whole lot more. The last time she had a high winrate I used to beg my team to ban her every game even after the opponents picked two dps. I used to hover my mouse over the queue button wondering if I should click knowing that there might be a tracer on the enemy team to ruin the game.

That moment where the enemy team fifth picks Tracer was the most crushing feeling I had playing hots. In retrospect, i should have dodged games more.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If you hated Tracer that much couldn't you just draft a hero with blind more?