Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Titanic posted:

Not sure if you're joking, but yes, of course they well have mines. In fact, there is a dedicated minelayer ship you can buy here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/aegis-nautilus/Nautilus

Sadly, yes I was joking :(

I know full well that there isn't a terrible idea out there that Chris won't try to shoehorn into this mess at some point...

[Taxxe edit:]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

And as slow as I am with artwork, I made lewd fan set of that and completed it as well between them and now. That's pretty tremendous of me to complete something before an entire company of 600+ people!

CIG really should just hire you to turn the game into an exploitative waifu simulator. You can pay Clifford to be the new Rex and hype it on his streams, and you can hire some Chinese sweat shop to port it to iOS and Android.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 23, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Have some insight into the mind of the backers

quote:

Honestly, I get the feeling that Chris Roberts gets a giddy evil smile when he sees that people hate going to prison. Last thing he'll do is make prison a lesser thing. And considering how much he loves adding to topics, I wouldn't be surprised if he said make prison even longer so we can add 5 more gameplay loops inside.

quote:

Escape is really not bad, but it's only the start. Once you get out then you have to actually leave Aberdeen. I think you lose all your inventory, you now have an even higher crime stat due to escape, and now you have to clear your individual crimes.

A guy last night was complaining about having to take 30 seconds to clear every crime, so he was at the security outpost for like 10 minutes and eventually some BH went and killed him and he went right back into jail then freaked the gently caress out in chat. I almost came with out touching myself. Prison works.

You're welcome!

This game is a blast!

https://gfycat.com/faithfulforcefulleafhopper-star-citizen

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 23, 2020

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Prison jizzin'

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The burger shows more life than the NPCs.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yoga. In a space game.

The future is a leisure centre. Or some kind of bowling alley.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The prison "gameplay" makes a lot of sense when you realize everything in this game is meant to cater towards people with big ships feeling superior than everyone else. Attacking a whale in their $3000 yacht should be an extremely painful experience that results in you either not wanting to playing the game or buying your own $3000 space yacht so you don't have to grind.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

So in general crowdfunding news, Kickstarter is dying.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/20/21228412/kickstarter-layoffs-planned-coronavirus-project-declines-crowdfunding-union

It only brought in 1.27 million dollars of of profit last year, and is going through mass layoffs of its 140 person workforce. I guess people are finally getting fed up with all of the failed sleazy projects and Kickstarter’s complete lack of accountability.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/20/21228412/kickstarter-layoffs-planned-coronavirus-project-declines-crowdfunding-union

It only brought in 1.27 million dollars of of profit last year, and is going through mass layoffs of its 140 person workforce. I guess people are finally getting fed up with all of the failed sleazy projects and Kickstarter’s complete lack of accountability.

Good riddance. Scamming has no right to be this easy.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

colonelwest posted:

Why did they need 140 people to run a server.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Xakura posted:

Why did they need 140 people to run a server.

The kicker is that 140 amount is only 35% of their workforce.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

seriously what the hell are 140 people doing every day at the kickstarter offices

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome! posted:

seriously what the hell are 140 people doing every day at the kickstarter offices

Grifting. (And it's more like 400)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

colonelwest posted:

I guess people are finally getting fed up with all of the failed sleazy projects and Kickstarter’s complete lack of accountability.

That and literally no one on Earth has spare money to throw at frivolous poo poo now, and in the short to medium term.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
The eye-twitches don't come out quite as well in gif, but drat I love this vid

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Torquemada posted:

That and literally no one on Earth has spare money to throw at frivolous poo poo now, and in the short to medium term.

Uhm excuse me... I just spent my stimulus check on an Idris. It supports a worthy cause and is a sound financial investment.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:goshawk: Desync issues have largely been resolved :goshawk:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pixelate posted:

:lol::lol:

This is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlaRyG7hN80

VOIP salt to camera. There needs to be more of this. The twitching eyelids of jank-rage. The ‘disappointed in you CIG’ gurning.

This would be such a fine way for a soft launch to e-salute its way out the door. Endless reportage from the dying servers, brandishing the tinselly remnants of abandoned tech as some last ditch armour and a final rebuke. Losing limbs and coherence as the spaghetti code gives up the last of its heat and form. God drat. What a send off it would be :allears:

It's tragic he didn't post the original audio, I really want to hear him screaming so hard he hurts his throat.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

I think Chris believes he deserves the money for his amazing “vision”, but he also craves the adulation of his fans and peers, and he still has his eye on a triumphant return to Hollywood. I think if he really knew and accepted the score, he would have found a graceful exit from this mess and quietly retired Lord British style. He could easily declare himself “creative consultant” or “executive producer” and leave some stooge in charge of the company. He still wants to somehow pull a successful game out of this mess, and SQ42 is his baby, a turd that he will continually try to polish until the money runs out and he is forced to release it into the world.

We know for sure that’s how thought , he isn’t even trying to hide it

Remember as soon as the Kickstarter ended and they started pulling in the big cash , he gave himself a big raise and back pay for the time he spent creating the supposed idea for SC

Because him sitting on someone’s couch thinking “ gosh I’d love to be rich” was worth back pay

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Awesome! posted:

What the hell are the 500+ CIG employees doing every day?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’ve always kind of hated the idea of crowdfunding, which is why I never bought into SC even when I believed it’s hype around 2014-2016. Like Scruffpuff said, it’s become a make-a-wish foundation for morons. Want-to-be creatives who want to be paid to dream instead of doing the hard work of actually making something.

There have been plenty of successful projects, small indie games, table top games, graphic novels etc.. But the basic premise of pre-paying for a nebulous conception of a product that is years away from launch is pretty dumb. Regardless of the creator’s ability or desire to follow through, what motivation do they have to deliver after they’ve gotten all of their money upfront?

I’m at the point that if you can’t raise funding through traditional means or even micro-investing platforms, and have to resort to e-begging, than your project probably doesn’t deserve to be launched in the first place.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 23, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

Grifting. (And it's more like 400)

According to the CEO it's 140

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

According to the CEO it's 140

Each one is worth 3 people.

GoFundMe is the one with around 400, my bad

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 23, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

Good riddance. Scamming has no right to be this easy.

I've always enjoyed the backers pointing to Chris's "gaming pedigree" and "amazing successes" as making him super-qualified to make this game. Yet real game developers and publishers laughed and had him frogmarched out of countless pitches before he slunk into the Kickstarter waters and helped it become the scam-swamp it is today. I guess game publishers don't want lots of money, because they turned Chris down! But at the same time, they're evil publishers who only care about money, so it's a good thing Chris isn't beholden to them!

How does the average Star Citizen backer resolve this impossible contradiction in their minds? The same way they rectify the contradictory facts that Chris maintains the narrative that publishers would have made his vision impossible, yet he himself spent countless hours pitching his idea to one wildly laughing publisher after another. They buy an Idris.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 24, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

How does the average Star Citizen backer resolve this impossible contradiction in their minds? The same way they rectify the contradictory facts that Chris maintains the narrative that publishers would have made his vision impossible, yet he himself spent countless time pitching his idea to one wildly laughing publisher after another. They buy an Idris.

This one is easy: Publishers are afraid to take big risks, which is why they publish the same games every year. SC is the most ambitious game ever, so it is very risky and publishers wouldn't touch it for that reason, but the rewards are also great. Sure, it can fail, but I have already gotten my money worth by being part of this dream. Keep doing what you're doing Chris, we will support you!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Awesome! posted:

Wishing they were CIG, the ultimate expression of Idiots throwing their money away.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Like seriously what the hell are you doing with 140 people???? It's like a php script a couple servers and a really good lawyer,

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru posted:

Have some insight into the mind of the backers

You're welcome!

This game is a blast!

https://gfycat.com/faithfulforcefulleafhopper-star-citizen

Star Citizen: I almost came with out touching myself

Star Citizen: Prison works

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm not opposed to the idea of crowd funding, but in many KickStarter projects it got abused to all hell (IndieGogo was worse).

I used to throw a few bucks (or more) in promising projects or even the more "naive" ones if the indie team behind them sounded sincere. A couple turned out to be outstanding, but many, too many, ranged just from mediocre to disappointing, and the "no publishers is better" motto was proven to be a terrible idea.

Now, it's been years since the last one I backed, and the main reason is I don't trust this approach anymore and the platform failed to deal with the abusers.

And as long as perpetual crowdfunding projects scams like Star Citizen, and a few more high profile ones (but Store Citizen is by far the worst, yes worse than OUYA) exist and are connected to KS, they and crowd funding will keep losing their credibility in alarming rate. And they very well should.

You cannot have "largest successful crowdfunded project" and a "total commercial failure that bankrupt the company" or "8 years in pre-alpha with no end-in-sight", "probably a money laundry operation", "the title is not longer relevant in the games industry" in the same breath and expect Kickstarter to not take a severe hit from it.

I'm not happy people will be losing their jobs, though.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 24, 2020

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

The Titanic posted:

And as slow as I am with artwork, I made lewd fan set of that and completed it as well between them and now. That's pretty tremendous of me to complete something before an entire company of 600+ people!

colonelwest posted:

CIG really should just hire you to turn the game into an exploitative waifu simulator. You can pay Clifford to be the new Rex and hype it on his streams, and you can hire some Chinese sweat shop to port it to iOS and Android.

#IWaifuWithTitanic

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

If B'Tak goes to Chris Roberts space jail, can he just go into solitary confinement? Asking for a timid, scared friend.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: CIG Knocked it OUT OF THE PARK - Wally's Bar - New Babbage Night Life

:saddowns: Too bad there are no NPCs. It's pretty but unless they make it more lively, it will be boring. Just stroll through it once, order a drink and forget about it.

::shepspends: there are NPCs sitting at tables, standing, and stuff. the point of these spaces is that they;re not just for NPCs, they're for you and your crew, org etc. i now know where the Yuri's Night space party pub crawl in Star Citizen will end up next year. (video of some scenes from the last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shiC9_DTFZU&t=201s

:wtchris:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's gonna be fun when Cyberpunk comes out (whenever it does) and wipes the "but it still looks good" part of whatever this game has left off the map and Chris pushes it back another 20 years for a complete fidelity refactor

Those NPCs already look like trash and the rest of the game is quickly starting to look outdated

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: Banned Accounts can no longer use pm on spectrum.

Thanks to the brilliance that is CIG, anyone who has a ban will no longer be able to use the private message feature on spectrum. I was banned for 10 years last year for deletion spam on the general chat where I deleted 4 posts in the span of 12 mins and for the last 13 months have enjoyed being able to pm staff about issues in the game and friends. This system has been critical to be able to use the site in any functioning manner with responding to OPs threads with a quick dm. With the pm system being removed, this basically means that people who are banned have no avenues to associate with other members of the starcitizen community other than ingame. This affects the ability to join orgs already with negative sigma on my profile saying that I am currently on probation for 10 years for a harmless offense. So now with being unable to send any messages, this effectively kills any ability I had to join orgs or to refer issues to staff other than to organically find them ingame.

Its been over a year and cig wants to increase the punishment on users by taking away your friends.

All for the good of the game it seems.

So with CIG doing this:

Anyone who is on probation from forums/Spectrum won't be able to communicate with players inside the game :lol: :thumbsup: :trustme:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's gonna be fun when Cyberpunk comes out (whenever it does) and wipes the "but it still looks good" part of whatever this game has left off the map and Chris pushes it back another 20 years for a complete fidelity refactor

Those NPCs already look like trash and the rest of the game is quickly starting to look outdated

Yeah... I was going to say that the spaceships and environments still look quite good, but the NPCs look really bad. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem in a game about spaceships flying around environments, but, for some reason, they have insisted on making their game about spaceships flying around environments about NPCs ordering drinks at a bar.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0eaF3WPMZs

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Time_pants posted:

Yeah... I was going to say that the spaceships and environments still look quite good, but the NPCs look really bad. Normally, that wouldn't be a problem in a game about spaceships flying around environments, but, for some reason, they have insisted on making their game about spaceships flying around environments about NPCs ordering drinks at a bar.

I can barely remember what this game was supposed to be.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Scruffpuff posted:

I can barely remember what this game was supposed to be.

Don't worry, neither can Crobear or the majority of backers.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

biglads posted:

Don't worry, neither can Crobear or the majority of backers.

Like imagine if Blizzard had announced World of Warcraft and pitched what the game actually is. Then 3 years later they start selling an airplane combat part of the game. Then they start selling land. Then they say there will be other planets and the NPCs will have AI rivaling players. Then they started announcing and selling thousands of mounts, all for the different classes they also announced, which are also FOIP and have grabby hands - you control the orc who controls the sword. And all of this against a background of absolutely nothing happening, and in the end, they show you the inside of a single tavern and the game looks 15 years old and nothing works.

To say that Star Citizen is a parody of game development is far overstating what a parody actually is. Star Citizen is crippling mental disability made manifest in game development form, backers and company alike. It's fascinating and hilarious, and yet depressing and tragic.

It's a convergence of every mental misfire, every cognitive misstep, every logical fallacy, and every pathological psychology combined into one incredible non-product.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Banned Accounts can no longer use pm on spectrum.

Thanks to the brilliance that is CIG, anyone who has a ban will no longer be able to use the private message feature on spectrum. I was banned for 10 years last year for deletion spam on the general chat where I deleted 4 posts in the span of 12 mins and for the last 13 months have enjoyed being able to pm staff about issues in the game and friends. This system has been critical to be able to use the site in any functioning manner with responding to OPs threads with a quick dm. With the pm system being removed, this basically means that people who are banned have no avenues to associate with other members of the starcitizen community other than ingame. This affects the ability to join orgs already with negative sigma on my profile saying that I am currently on probation for 10 years for a harmless offense. So now with being unable to send any messages, this effectively kills any ability I had to join orgs or to refer issues to staff other than to organically find them ingame.

Its been over a year and cig wants to increase the punishment on users by taking away your friends.

All for the good of the game it seems.

So with CIG doing this:

Anyone who is on probation from forums/Spectrum won't be able to communicate with players inside the game :lol: :thumbsup: :trustme:

Well they shouldn't have spoken out about Dear Leader if they didn't want to be retaliated against