Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

OG FF7 already ended on an ambiguous note

it's not hard to walk away from it thinking that the planet wiped out all humans along with meteor

And Remake takes place thousands of years after that ending as the cycle continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

it's not hard to walk away from it thinking that the planet wiped out all humans along with meteor

I was so pissed off when Advent Children retconned this as a story where I save the world by inadvertently wiping humanity from it blew my 13 year old mind.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Aerith in the original could barely communicate with the spirits of the ancients standing right in front of her, and could only get vague feelings and half-understood communication from the planet. I don't think a living Aerith could literally summon a giant pillar of lifestream out of the planet.

Was OG Aerith plot aware though?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

They can't have the giant Cait Sith moogle. How would he slowly squeeze through tiny spaces or inch along narrow ledges?

this is actually a really good point lol. i really want to see how they handle this

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Flopsy posted:

Yeah I mean Aerith in 7R has Mind Magic

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Flopsy posted:

No, but they haven't given any indication she has super lifestream-summoning powers now either.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Aerith will die when the truck that was supposed to hit Palmer hits her by mistake.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sharrrk posted:

this is actually a really good point lol. i really want to see how they handle this

Make the moogle very squishy

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Did anyone else get slightly irritated with the slowly shimmying through a gap thing? Usually there wasn't even a point to it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

Make the moogle very squishy

Moogle will just be Baymax from Big Hero 6.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Caidin posted:

Did anyone else get slightly irritated with the slowly shimmying through a gap thing? Usually there wasn't even a point to it.

The point was usually to hide loading.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Caidin posted:

they are hiding loading assets, op

This is also why sometimes when you enter a new area Cloud walks slowly for no reason

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rhonne posted:

Wedge will die when the truck that was supposed to hit Palmer hits him by mistake.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

No, but they haven't given any indication she has super lifestream-summoning powers now either.

She's apparently able to stabilize a portal in space time though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flopsy posted:

She's apparently able to stabilize a portal in space time though.

So what did she do when she turned the portal from purple to gold? What would have happened if they'd gone through the purple portal?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

So what did she do when she turned the portal from purple to gold? What would have happened if they'd gone through the purple portal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB46XpnwhrA

Edit: on-brand answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l75zjpDpAWs

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Sephiroth would've collectively given them wedgies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I have no idea what the difference was between Sephiroth's portal and Aerith's. Like was his leading to the Edge of Creation where he had the showdown with Cloud, and Aerith takes hers to the Singularity instead, like "nah, we need to deal with these whispers before we go after the big guy?" Or what? It's very unclear.

I mean I'm just rolling with it really but I'm curious.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I sort of hope this becomes a running gag, with Wedge repeatedly "dying" and then later being revealed to have survived, throughout the whole rest of the project.

Or perhaps he has nine lives.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

cheetah7071 posted:

True, but such an ending would be such a pointless "Gotcha! You saved the world in a different way!" that it totally invalidates the point of the story. Aeris' appearance at the end signifies an intercession on mankind's behalf. She's a not-so-subtle Christ-figure. So the ending becomes, "Okay, y'all can live, but leave this industrialization poo poo behind and stop being lovely." If everyone had been killed by Holy, Red XIII wouldn't be around for the epilogue anyway. This kinda ending worked for NieR, but it doesn't really work for FF7.
It's a thing I complain about a lot in fiction by using a quote from Scott Pilgrim: "I feel like I learned something! Which would be great if I wasn't dead!"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I sort of hope this becomes a running gag, with Wedge repeatedly "dying" and then later being revealed to have survived, throughout the whole rest of the project.

Or perhaps he has nine lives.

I'm on board for Wedge starring in his own miniature Final Destination movie throughout the series

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If the Whispers goal is to keep the timeline on the path to "planet is saved," I can understand the reasoning behind bringing Barret back to life, he was part of the main party and a key player in events. But what does Wedge do to endanger the planet that means he must be killed lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If the Whispers goal is to keep the timeline on the path to "planet is saved," I can understand the reasoning behind bringing Barret back to life, he was part of the main party and a key player in events. But what does Wedge do to endanger the planet that means he must be killed lol

I wonder if it's possible that the Whispers are driven more by, like, instinct than actual intelligence. Like they know Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie dying motivated Barret and the rest of the party, but Wedge didn't die. The moment has passed where it actually matters but the Whispers just can't stop, they have to correct the timeline, even if it means flinging Wedge out of a window for precisely no reason.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If Wedge and Biggs are alive then Barret's AVALANCHE cell is still mostly intact, which would mean that either he could stay behind to continue leading them in Midgar or they could come along and join the party, both of which are pretty big divergences.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

I wonder if it's possible that the Whispers are driven more by, like, instinct than actual intelligence. Like they know Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie dying motivated Barret and the rest of the party, but Wedge didn't die. The moment has passed where it actually matters but the Whispers just can't stop, they have to correct the timeline, even if it means flinging Wedge out of a window for precisely no reason.

I never got the impression they were anything but driven by instinct tbh

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I read that there's was a hidden mechanic in the final boss fights, where if you beat Jenova well enough you had to split the party into three groups to take on different parts of Sephiroth's final boss form.

It would be cool if they brought that back in this remake, where you still split the party into 3 teams and could switch between every character.

Mind you, for the final boss, not in regular combat

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

To be fair, that's not the first time Wedge has been flung from a tall building, and that was the same scene where Barret, Red, and Aerith survived a falling elevator, and earlier in the game Cloud survived falling from a plate. What I'm trying to get at here is that fall damage ain't poo poo in this world.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

God FF8 is so loving good and deserves a remake far more than FF7 does. FF8 has some of the coolest loving locations. The flying Gardens crashing into each other. Fisherman's Horizon. The Lunatic Pandora. gently caress. Give me FF8 Remake (just keep Nomura away).

I also loved the graphical leap from FF7 -> FF8. Plus the gunblade was cool as poo poo as a child.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rabid Snake posted:

I also loved the graphical leap from FF7 -> FF8. Plus the gunblade was cool as poo poo as a child.

I would argue it is the coolest weapon to ever come from Final Fantasy. (And probably one of the better weapons in the RPG genre as a whole.) "Oh you like swords? What if it was also a gun?"

One thing I wonder is if they'll tie the Whispers to the Weapons or something like that. Will it eventually be possible to connect those dots beyond "planet's defense mechanism"?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
All the talking on the past few pages got me thinking, the crazy brain juices flowing, and I think, if you can change one line in game 2(?) to like... completely throw things off the rails.

Temple of the Ancients, Sephiroth: Cloud, bring me the White Materia.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

All the talking on the past few pages got me thinking, the crazy brain juices flowing, and I think, if you can change one line in game 2(?) to like... completely throw things off the rails.

Temple of the Ancients, Sephiroth: Cloud, bring me the White Materia.

A reversal of using Holy to wipe out the human race as opposed to Meteor is interesting but uh...is Sephiroth going to pray to the planet for it to work or what? Is Aerith going to drop from the ceiling and shish kabob his rear end?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Folding chair

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Flopsy posted:

A reversal of using Holy to wipe out the human race as opposed to Meteor is interesting but uh...is Sephiroth going to pray to the planet for it to work or what? Is Aerith going to drop from the ceiling and shish kabob his rear end?

You're... how did Sephiroth lose. He lost because Aerith summoned Holy. Yes, her death let her use the Lifestream to push back Holy and Meteor to prevent destruction, but if she doesn't HAVE the White Materia, she can't cast Holy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Onmi posted:

You're... how did Sephiroth lose. He lost because Aerith summoned Holy. Yes, her death let her use the Lifestream to push back Holy and Meteor to prevent destruction, but if she doesn't HAVE the White Materia, she can't cast Holy.

....Yuffie, you have doomed the planet...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

....Yuffie, you have doomed the planet...

Oh man, oh wow. I just had another big brained theory. Sephiroth takes the White Materia, lets them have the Black One... Yuffie steals the black one, Shinra reignites the Wutai War... Wutai casts Meteor.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Onmi posted:

Oh man, oh wow. I just had another big brained theory. Sephiroth takes the White Materia, lets them have the Black One... Yuffie steals the black one, Shinra reignites the Wutai War... Wutai casts Meteor.

Oh hey! That's an even better take right there! I like it! Now Cloud has to use the crossdressing skills he cultivated in Wall Market to seduce Sephiroth to get it back and it all culminates in a bomb rear end musical number. HIRE ME SQUARE-ENIX

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yuffie steals both the white and black matria, single handedly bring the plot and everyone's plans to a screeching halt.

Finally my childhood favorite character can be the most important.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

She steals them, sockets them together and casts them. Nothing happens because they effects mitigate each other and the materia explodes. Crisis averted.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Besides somehow keeping that one minigame where dudes run up the mountain and you place other dudes to stop them, my other biggest wish is that the whole destiny is now off the rails thing is to have at least one thing happen that literally no one can take in stride. I want to see visible confusion on Sephiroth's face. I want Shinra and the party to bond over having no idea what to do with this development. I want The Planet and Jenova to somehow convey enough emotion to be read as bafflement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Honestly the character I'm most interested in is Rufus, gotta wonder what his being able to see the whispers means going forward. It'd be funny if he ended up having his AC-era face-turn earlier in the story, all buddying up to Reeve and going 'Uh, is it just me or is every other member of the board COMPLETELY INSANE?'