Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

a mysterious cloak posted:

Alright the siren call of a Hydrasynth is too much to resist, so the Logue XD has gotta go. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

Eh... My buddy's XD arrived the other day and I had a chance to play with it (at a safe social distance of course.)
I don't consider myself a keyboard-ist, but keys kinda ruined it for me. I'd actually prefer the module and only get the full sized XD if I had plans to poly-chain the two.

Doesn't matter either way though. I just handed my Trump money and tax returns over to the wife to put into savings.
It's gonna be a rough few months knowing that I absolutely cannot buy any new gear until I cross a few home improvement projects off the list. But on the other hand maybe it will help quell my GAS, being forced to actually USE what I already have.

e; wow what a horrible loving page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Here I'll fix it.

The Peak just got custom wavetable support. The thing is 2.5 years old and they keep adding features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_5X5OAdhA

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

ColdPie posted:

Here I'll fix it.

The Peak just got custom wavetable support. The thing is 2.5 years old and they keep adding features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_5X5OAdhA

That's big news! No custom wavetables was the biggest knock against it at release IIRC.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
If nothing else, Novation has INCREDIBLE support / development for their products.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

should i get into eurorack

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

A MIRACLE posted:

only if you hate having money

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My buddy has a eurorack setup he calls his boat. If you know anything about boats that should say enough.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

reverb says I've unloaded almost 5 grand worth of gear this past year... the Erica Techno system is REALLY tempting lol. I'm not gonna tho. probably.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A MIRACLE posted:

You get a limited amount of time here and have to put up with the bullshit of simply existing why the gently caress not fill that time with more bloops go for it GO FOR IT NOW!!!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Eh... My buddy's XD arrived the other day and I had a chance to play with it (at a safe social distance of course.)
I don't consider myself a keyboard-ist, but keys kinda ruined it for me. I'd actually prefer the module and only get the full sized XD if I had plans to poly-chain the two.

Doesn't matter either way though. I just handed my Trump money and tax returns over to the wife to put into savings.
It's gonna be a rough few months knowing that I absolutely cannot buy any new gear until I cross a few home improvement projects off the list. But on the other hand maybe it will help quell my GAS, being forced to actually USE what I already have.

Mine is actually a desktop, but no worries. I'm sure it'll go quick on Reverb.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's partly what keeps me away from it. That and my brain refuses to wrap itself around "plug in here, make sound. Plug in THAT over there, make sound different.Turn knobs."

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 23, 2020

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Eh, think of it like a guitarists pedal board except you can also buy a pile of guitars for really cheap.

wait

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

a mysterious cloak posted:

Mine is actually a desktop, but no worries. I'm sure it'll go quick on Reverb.

That's partly what keeps me away from it. That and my brain refuses to wrap itself around "plug in here, make sound. Plug in THAT over there, make sound different.Turn knobs."

Oh gently caress me, of course it is :(
Well good luck anyways. I'm sure you'll have no problem unloading it fairly quickly.

The thing that turns me off about modular is "I just spent like $6000 and I still can't make it make a noise what the FUCKKKKKKKKKKK?"
Seriously it's not at all intuitive and it's more a hobby for people who like to tinker with poo poo and electronics enthusiasts than musicians.

That being said I like to tinker with electronics so its been really hard avoiding the modular-itis.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah I saw Ricky Tinez do some cool stuff a couple months back, so I priced out all the modules and the case and poo poo and it was about as much as a Summit so I'm like, nope.

I updated my Peak and played around with some of the new wavetables they provide and got a cool bass/bell noise going on.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 23, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Modular serves a different purpose for a lot of people no?

Like, it you’re just gonna plug in some Midi to just do normal synthesiser music but with different sounds, you may not find huge benefit. If you want a semi automated bleep making machine tho that’s different.. right ????

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I think for some it's about finding their ideal *that sound* while for others it's more of an ever-growing musical marble machine.

I think VCV Rack is a great way to dip a toe in.

snorch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 23, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

A MIRACLE posted:

no

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

snorch posted:

I think VCV Rack is a great way to dip a toe in.

It's also a great way to make a shopping list.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Woah what if you had a VCV metamodule, a hardware module that could emulate the VCV environment but gives you real CV in/outs, like the Z-DSP.

You wouldn't download a eurorack.

Judge Judy
Apr 16, 2001
miRack on iOS plus a CV interface and a couple key sound making modules is still pretty much DAWless.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

snorch posted:

Woah what if you had a VCV metamodule, a hardware module that could emulate the VCV environment but gives you real CV in/outs, like the Z-DSP.

You can kinda do this with the AIRA modules.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

snorch posted:

isnt this just the expert sleepers ES-9?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anyone else find it wierd how excited the internet is for the polyend tracker? Is it just younger people/people who were unaware previously that trackers existed? I feel like anyone with a pc could do this already, even if it's a 15 year old laptop or something. Marketing is pretty powerful.

In other news I'm gassing hard for an mpc 3000 even though a step sequencer guy through and through. Help please.

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

field balm posted:

Anyone else find it wierd how excited the internet is for the polyend tracker? Is it just younger people/people who were unaware previously that trackers existed? I feel like anyone with a pc could do this already, even if it's a 15 year old laptop or something. Marketing is pretty powerful.

Yeah, i was thinking "Wow, that looks cool and pretty reasonably priced" and then I realised I had Renoise installed, so... what?

I hadn't considered the age factor. The idea that this was how it was done back in the day can be attractive, maybe particularly if you're making rave or drum and bass and want that authentic feel or something. The other age group that it might appeal to is old fuckers (my age), who left trackers behind and now are waxing nostalgic.

"This is just like OctaMED!" etc.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

field balm posted:

In other news I'm gassing hard for an mpc 3000 even though a step sequencer guy through and through. Help please.

why the 3000 specifically?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Trackers to me are a lot like Elektron devices. You get quick and easy access to a different workflow. People that use them a lot get some fantastic music out of them. Friend of mine has been using them since the early 90s and uses Renoise today making albums and tunes. But people that like trackers generally dont use hardware.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

why the 3000 specifically?

Watched a bunch of Ian Pooley vids and that was the one he was using lol. The idea of an all in one station with that sweet lofi sound appeals to me deeply. I read the 2000 pretty much has the same internals as the s2000, which I own and is not as crusty sounding as I would like. I guess an mpc 60 would be cool too?

I won't follow through I've just gotta stop watching gear vids on YouTube ughh

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I kind of want a pimped out 2500... I sold most of my synth gear this year and have been writing actual songs now on the QY. The pattern sections as a rhythm track -> chord transposition song mode workflow it has has been really good for me to use

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

field balm posted:

I won't follow through I've just gotta stop watching gear vids on YouTube ughh

New loving thread title right there.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

A couple of days ago I tried outputting midi to Reaper from Schism Tracker over a midi loopback driver and it works but it's not great. Midi timing through the loopback is pretty shaky. There's no start/stop or tempo sync. You can't send a lot more than note on and off events with velocity.

Also after twenty years 70% of my muscle memory for all the Impulse Tracker shortcut keys is gone. Ten years ago that seemed like a thing that would somehow never degrade.

I'm quite disillusioned by the experience.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I kind of want a pimped out 2500... I sold most of my synth gear this year and have been writing actual songs now on the QY. The pattern sections as a rhythm track -> chord transposition song mode workflow it has has been really good for me to use

That's cool! I'm using a qy300 as my main sequencer, I only really use the event list editor and haven't mucked around with that stuff. Might give it a shot this arvo! What are you sequencing with it? I'm pushing midi to a volca drum and the s2000, which is very fully featured but not as vibey as I'd like. Saw an ok deal on a yamaha su10 locally that I might grab but feel like it might not allow the level of editing I'd expect or want from a sampler

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

field balm posted:

That's cool! I'm using a qy300 as my main sequencer, I only really use the event list editor and haven't mucked around with that stuff. Might give it a shot this arvo! What are you sequencing with it? I'm pushing midi to a volca drum and the s2000, which is very fully featured but not as vibey as I'd like. Saw an ok deal on a yamaha su10 locally that I might grab but feel like it might not allow the level of editing I'd expect or want from a sampler

that's funny, the SU 10 is my other bit of synth gear (and my TB 03 :) ). I can answer any questions you might have. Editing takes some practice but you can be as precise as you need to wrt to chopping.

I got it to complete my mini-yamaha 90's dawless rig (idk). I might get another more powerful sampler (one that can resample etc) but this one is cool to drive with a QY, it actually has very robust midi implementation. Really limited tho if you're looking for a do it all sampler and not just something to pitch and crunch some found sounds. then get something better. I'm probably getting something more powerful this year... I kind of like the SP2400 but I know I should just get a digitakt or something like that

Other than that I've just used the internal cheese on the QY. I guess what I'm sequencing is my friends who are going to help me record some of the parts I'm writing on it

and I want a new drum machine

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

field balm posted:

I think a musical instrument is more than just a series of capabilities - we've been technically able to synthesise literally any kind of waveform we want on a computer since the ninties. I think that, like other kinds of interface design, it's just about as much as what it can't do as what it can. And I want a Tracker so bad but the Australian Dollar is so hosed that it seems likely that it could be over the AU$1k import duty when it ships and that is a hosed amount of money. But look at how nice it is!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The 1010music Black Box could be worth checking out for a compact sampler to hook up to a sequencer like that. I kinda want one, but it’s just redundant enough to other things I have that I can’t justify it.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm not the one you need to convince, particularly in this specific niche that is frankly on the like the eighth level of methodological bankruptcy. But if we're going to dunk 'em let's do better than pumping linguistic intuitions.

Re: authors, no idea. I got my phd several years ago. I read some fiocco papers and argued with him, read some other poo poo I don't really remember, and went back to my dissertation when it became clear that nothing he and/or that cluster of authors were working on (at least in that area) was going to align with my interests, methodological commitments, etc. I don't remember anybody arguing about what moments were, though, just how many of them there were. it was a wasted few days 🤷‍♀️

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

you have elected the way of pain

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

man i watched the polyend tracker loopop vid and i both love it and want one for my setup but know i'd never have the time to learn it properly, i really don't want to overhaul my entire workflow at this point. in retrospect, i should have just stuck with the prologue and ableton, but toys lol. maybe someday i'll muster up the initiative to pare it all down

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want to get an electric guitar

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

echinopsis posted:

Get something with a couple different kinds of pickups on it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no doubt. won’t be buying an amp so will be relying on modelling. hopefully the latency is acceptable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

echinopsis posted:

Get an iRig and connect it to GarageBand, it’s good and fun. I want a new electric guitar, mine is a cheap old strat copy, and because this was in the Guitar Hero era I just *had* to have a whammy bar so its constantly hosed up and out of tune. I also want to learn bass and saxophone, but considering my recent iPad purchase that isn’t in the cards.