Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
For those who are trying to get hyped about this game before the midnight release, there are several official reviews that have been published on YouTube from channels like IGN, GameXplain, and probably more. Critic feedback seems to be consistent with the thread's feedback of the demo: Mostly really good with a few frustrating aspects (like the camera for instance)

Lots of footage from later game areas, so check them out if you want a last-minute sneak peek and stay clear if you want to be surprised!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Man, all these people who already got their copies, and I'm here probably not getting mine delivered until next week. Oh well, maybe I'll use the extra time to finish my second pre-remake OG run.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Say what are the controls like on PC? It'll be a breeze like usual to use a console controller with an adapter right?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Say what are the controls like on PC? It'll be a breeze like usual to use a console controller with an adapter right?

I used an XBox controller (whatever the current version is called) with no issues.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Lol, was all ready to play. I almost never buy something on release but apparently when it says "released on this date" it also means "but not in your timezone, suck it"

When does it actually release?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Lol, was all ready to play. I almost never buy something on release but apparently when it says "released on this date" it also means "but not in your timezone, suck it"

When does it actually release?

Supposed to be tomorrow

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Looks like midnight EST according to the PSN preorder countdown.

Do any of the reviews comment if the game ever gets harder? Extremely easy difficulty in the demo (on hard) was my biggest complaint.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ultrachrist posted:

Looks like midnight EST according to the PSN preorder countdown.

Do any of the reviews comment if the game ever gets harder? Extremely easy difficulty in the demo (on hard) was my biggest complaint.

Yes, they say the game gets quite a bit harder after the first class change, but that it was still too easy. At least on normal, which was the difficulty the two reviewers I've watched played the game on.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

All right, set up my Kevin/Hawkeye/Charlotte party in the demo, ready for the unlock tonight. So excitedddddd!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Alxprit posted:

All right, set up my Kevin/Hawkeye/Charlotte party in the demo, ready for the unlock tonight. So excitedddddd!

That is going to be my second playthrough.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I think I've decided on which paths to take for my first play-through with the waifu party.

Light/Light Angela
Light/Dark Riesz
Dark/Dark Charlie

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Excited for this game. I never played the original, but Secret of Mana is one of my favorite video games of all time. Loved it in in the 90s with pals, loved it in the 2010s with My Wife.

I'm going with Hawkeye/Riesz/Kevin. My plan is to Debuff and Buff and then swap to Kevin to punch things to death.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Already playing it now. Based Europe unlock! :norway:

Currently gotten to the Dwarves.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The trophy list is out, looks like you have to beat the game six times to get platinum lol yeah right

I'll probably still do it tbh

Does the Switch version have some kind of in-game equivalent of trophies?

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I wanted to buy a hard copy, but due to you know what, Ill op for download.
Before I download on steam and actually buy it hardcopy because im stupid and I really want this game to do well, despite what reviews say.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 24, 2020

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The trophy list is out, looks like you have to beat the game six times to get platinum lol yeah right

I'll probably still do it tbh

Does the Switch version have some kind of in-game equivalent of trophies?

Not as far as I can tell, but honestly being able to skip cutscenes will make that probably not as bad as one might think.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Folt The Bolt posted:

Already playing it now. Based Europe unlock! :norway:

Currently gotten to the Dwarves.

Wait what? Do you mean on switch? PC hasn't unlocked for me in europe

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

On the one hand I'm so glad I don't give a poo poo about achievement hunting.

On the other hand, I say that like I wouldn't play it minimum six times anyways.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Game out yet??

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

On the one hand I'm so glad I don't give a poo poo about achievement hunting.

On the other hand, I say that like I wouldn't play it minimum six times anyways.

If I remember correctly from the original SNES version, the main character you pick is the only real story you see right? Your side characters get some resolution for their plots but it's mainly your first character.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Eddain posted:

If I remember correctly from the original SNES version, the main character you pick is the only real story you see right? Your side characters get some resolution for their plots but it's mainly your first character.

Yup. Everyone else gets "man, I had this whole evil scheme but [real story badguy] killed my allies and I'm dying so peace, brah" halfway in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bruceski posted:

Yup. Everyone else gets "man, I had this whole evil scheme but [real story badguy] killed my allies and I'm dying so peace, brah" halfway in.

Goremand excluded he just runs off.

Eddain posted:

This is partially could to make one of your party members the other one who interacts with that story. So Duran and Angela, Kevin and Charlotte, Rieze and Hawkeye.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I think I'm gonna wait and see what you guys think about it before buying. a SD3 remake seems really exciting but I'd hate to buy it and find out it's much too easy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think I'm gonna wait and see what you guys think about it before buying. a SD3 remake seems really exciting but I'd hate to buy it and find out it's much too easy

You could play on Hard and I head the Benevoldons are hard.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

lezard_valeth posted:

Game out yet??

no

e. checked steam for actual time, some people are capital M Mad about it lol

quote:

I know I helped at less 1 other sale aside from my own and up til this point praise promoted and recomended the game but yeah been out right lie to about the release date (sorry it does indeed say the 24th which its been the 24th here for 14 ♥♥♥♥ing hours now) and don't pull that "america" bull ♥♥♥♥ as every other major release game even ♥♥♥♥ing ff7 remake came out earlier here granted it was for virus reasons but it came here earlier none the less but icing on the cake is the fact console users already have there physical ♥♥♥♥ing copies and yet we have not even gotten a pre-load or a timer so here i am waiting bored ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ thinking "why the ♥♥♥♥ did i pay full retail to not beable to play something"? oh well lesson learnt, next time i shall simply key your ♥♥♥♥ing games square....

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 24, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Zenithe posted:

I am furious about not being able to play this adorable game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

You could play on Hard and I head the Benevoldons are hard.

I did read there's a hard mode, but those aren't always tuned well or necessarily mean the game's challenging in the right way!!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"I'm worried the game will be easy" "Well you can set it harder" "But I'm worried the game will be hard."

Easy, hard, all I care about is fun.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bruceski posted:

"I'm worried the game will be easy" "Well you can set it harder" "But I'm worried the game will be hard."

Easy, hard, all I care about is fun.

what are you, cross-eyed? that's not what I wrote, is it? have you never played one of these budget titles' hard modes?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I remember loving SD3 for a million reasons but the difficulty was not among them

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Game unlocked on Switch, I gotta go to bed but I played far enough to beat up the Machine Golems. I got two level ups from them! Being level 10 at this point of the game is crazy when you'd barely be pushing 6 or 7 originally. But hey, number go up and number go up is good.

Also yeah the original was never hard in general so if the remake isn't hard then they're just being faithful.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
If difficulty is faithful to the original, the three machine golems before the ice mana stone will arbitrarily be one of the hardest fights in the game.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zenithe posted:

jesus christ :stonklol: this person is not ok

like there is mad, and then there's rupturing an ulcer for not being able to play a game on launch day mad

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Dackel posted:

Wait what? Do you mean on switch? PC hasn't unlocked for me in europe

Yep. On the Switch.

Also, Class Changed for the first time. I'm going to go with the same team as I did on the original so Ninja Master Hawkeye, Star Lancer Riesz, and Necromancer Charlotte.

Interestingly, Ninja Hawkeye does not have the same problem as Angela; his jutsu spells (and Shuriken) are all learned by putting points into Luck. The jutsus also do not require the requisite elemental spirit which is something that's been changed from the original, but they still use Hawkeye's MGC ATK stat rather than LCK vs. DEF that Shuriken does. Basically, boost Intellect and Luck for Hawkeye to keep his spell damage high.

Ninja Hawkeye also gets significant boosts in MP and Intellect to go with being the offensive caster. Wanderer Hawkeye has a more balanced boost across the board including an actual (small) boost in Strength.

Speaking of the jutsus themselves, Fire Diversion, Water Diversion, and Thunder Technique work as they do in the original. Earth Diversion however, due to not being able to debuff anymore, has increased power to compensate which makes it Ninja Hawkeye's (and Ninja Master Hawkeye's by extension) go-to option for magic damage so long as it's not resisted. Shuriken meanwhile is his go-to option for a cheap damage spell and a budget option against magically resistant enemies.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
PS4 behavior is very weird. I downloaded the game and tried to load my demo save. The most recent one (at end of demo) told me the game was still downloading and couldn’t load it. Then I loaded a save a moment before and as soon as I reached the demo end point, got the same message.

AFAIK, PS4 doesn’t secret download without letting you know but I guess I’ll wait until tomorrow before worrying too much.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Folt The Bolt posted:

Interestingly, Ninja Hawkeye does not have the same problem as Angela; his jutsu spells (and Shuriken) are all learned by putting points into Luck. The jutsus also do not require the requisite elemental spirit which is something that's been changed from the original, but they still use Hawkeye's MGC ATK stat rather than LCK vs. DEF that Shuriken does. Basically, boost Intellect and Luck for Hawkeye to keep his spell damage high.

Actually, in the original the ninja skills didn't require elemental spirits either. When you cast them, you wouldn't see the spirit appear unlike with Angela's spells.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Erpy posted:

Actually, in the original the ninja skills didn't require elemental spirits either. When you cast them, you wouldn't see the spirit appear unlike with Angela's spells.

He still needed to gain the spirit in order to learn the corresponding elemental jutsu, even if the spirit didn't appear. This is not the case in the remake (where you instead just have to plop in 12 training points into Luck).

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm gonna do Kevin & Charwotte but I don't know who to pick for my third character? Is there anybody who fits particularly well in this duo?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

I'm gonna do Kevin & Charwotte but I don't know who to pick for my third character? Is there anybody who fits particularly well in this duo?

The next closest one with a speech issue would be snow valley girl Angela.

Seriously though, probably Riesz for buffs. Charlotte's dark path gives one of the best debuffs in the game. With those combined, dark Kevin will wreck face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I am playing this game for the first time and I'm happy. Like I don't know what it is about Mana games, be it the character and enemy design or the scenery, but a puppy just died like 10 seconds into my gameplay and I'm still happy.

I hope angry steam guy can get to play this game and be happy too