Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

davejk posted:

Yes, Venezia is one of the strongest T10s right now. That said, don't skip entire tech trees with free XP, it's a huge waste (unless you're sitting on literally millions).

If you're really determined to skip up the tree just play them from tier 7.

Ok so they're pretty good T7 onward. Groovy. I think I'll start at t8 then :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
returning to the earlier discussions about islands and corners, I like islands and corners because they let you do things like this to unsuspecting pubbies

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

toadee posted:

Like, it's impossible to just write out a step by step guide on it, but, as a cruiser, you just get a feel for when to extend on a flank (by paying attention to the enemy deployment and knowing where is going to be the safest spot for you to be in relation to their guns), and when people will be focusing on you/able to be focused on you.
Also because no plan survives contact with the enemy (and in WoWs case, that can also include your teammates.)

Open water gunboating and using your concealment to dictate your engagements is great until a DD sneaks into your spotting range to keep you lit up (and good ones will ride the gap between your detection and radar range.)
Similarly, island camping and being a big pain for the enemy to push into is great unless you have a DD that swings wide around the map edge and lights you up from there. Or a Carrier who decides you're public enemy #1 and throws planes at you.

TheFluff posted:

The trick is to get into a position where they have to turn their guns like at least 90 degrees to shoot at you before opening up.

Which is next to impossible on Ocean. Someone will be able to shoot you within 20 seconds of you firing. And they will try and shoot you especially if you're in a DM because even mediocre players on NA know those things are scary.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also because no plan survives contact with the enemy (and in WoWs case, that can also include your teammates.)

Open water gunboating and using your concealment to dictate your engagements is great until a DD sneaks into your spotting range to keep you lit up (and good ones will ride the gap between your detection and radar range.)
Similarly, island camping and being a big pain for the enemy to push into is great unless you have a DD that swings wide around the map edge and lights you up from there. Or a Carrier who decides you're public enemy #1 and throws planes at you.

Which is next to impossible on Ocean. Someone will be able to shoot you within 20 seconds of you firing. And they will try and shoot you especially if you're in a DM because even mediocre players on NA know those things are scary.

Did you watch the Des Moines game I linked or any of M3s vids? He's 100% spotted almost all the time. It's not about being a ninja, it's about putting yourself in the places where you can't or won't be hit.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

toadee posted:

Did you watch the Des Moines game I linked or any of M3s vids? He's 100% spotted almost all the time. It's not about being a ninja, it's about putting yourself in the places where you can't or won't be hit.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/587787154?t=02h56m47s gives me a 'unless you have a time machine this content isn't available' error and it's incredibly annoying trawling twitch stuff looking for specific segments out of all the streams. I didn't see any of their DM play on Ocean in the time between my last post and this one.

So no.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

EponymousMrYar posted:

If the enemies are shooting one of your BBs and you open fire 3 km away from it in a Des Moines, of course they will shoot you instead. If you aren't close to where they're aiming, even if they notice you they have to spend time rotating their turrets, and risk wasting a minute of their time if you get unspotted. It's really not typical for a player that's already engaged with someone else to turn 90 degrees and focus you instead the instant you pop up on the minimap.
Even in open water, you can get in positions where the enemies don't want to focus you, and stay 11 km from the closest enemy so that if they do focus you you can get unspotted.

You can also get a free temporary pass out of playing open water cruiser by asking destroyers to smoke you. It's not 100% reliable and you don't want to depend on randoms smoking you to live, but if you ask pubbies to smoke you outside a cap they'll do it more often than not.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I didn't see any of their DM play on Ocean in the time between my last post and this one.

So no.
Ocean is a rare map, but the only outstanding thing about it is that there are no rocks to glue yourself to. It doesn't play all that differently from open water parts of maps like the west side of North.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 24, 2020

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

James Garfield posted:

It's really not typical for a player that's already engaged with someone else to turn 90 degrees and focus you instead the instant you pop up on the minimap.

I experience the polar opposite of this.
When 2 BBs duke it out, and my cruiser gets lit up, he takes the chance to delete me with a doubleclick over another 5% damage on the other bow in BB any day of the week.

Thats maybe the main problem, iff you roll the dice well enough, you can simply remove a cruiser from the game, make it easier for your team and get some fat xp in return, so most if not all people i ever saw roll on "maybe instantly kill or at least heavily damage the cruiser" especially when youre not top tier and thus get overmatched by everything with big guns.

Hell even *I* take a pot shot at a cheeky drive-by cruiser that tries to farm some damage off me, and often enough he eats a few citadels or goes back to port.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

James Garfield posted:

It's really not typical for a player that's already engaged with someone else to turn 90 degrees and focus you instead the instant you pop up on the minimap.

Maybe not the instant you pop up, but there are many ships that attract pubbie attention like a magnet the moment your shells start landing on them, especially if you set them on fire (pubbies hate being set on fire more than almost anything). Cruisers with a reputation for being fragile in particular, but also things like Russian DD's. It's also hard to tell if a pubbie is actually engaged with someone else or just staring at them while pondering the mysteries of life or whatever - there have been times when I've been sure that someone's attention is on whoever is in front of them only to discover they weren't actually shooting at them.

It's also very common for pubbie threat categorization to overestimate the danger of high rate of fire ships - you'll find that it's quite common that they'll prefer angling in towards your cruiser but ignore the battleship that has their broadside.

e:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I experience the polar opposite of this.
When 2 BBs duke it out, and my cruiser gets lit up, he takes the chance to delete me with a doubleclick over another 5% damage on the other bow in BB any day of the week.

Thats maybe the main problem, iff you roll the dice well enough, you can simply remove a cruiser from the game, make it easier for your team and get some fat xp in return, so most if not all people i ever saw roll on "maybe instantly kill or at least heavily damage the cruiser" especially when youre not top tier and thus get overmatched by everything with big guns.

Hell even *I* take a pot shot at a cheeky drive-by cruiser that tries to farm some damage off me, and often enough he eats a few citadels or goes back to port.

If you get deleted or citadelled a lot you're either too close, or not angled enough, or both. Or you've missed a BB with a better angle on you somewhere. There are some cruisers that are annoyingly prone to taking citadels through the stern (IJN ones in particular, but also British CL's) but most cruisers shouldn't be eating citadels while properly angled. It can happen, and you'll eat some pretty nasty pen damage regularly, but mitigating citadels isn't too difficult to pull off with decent reliability.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 24, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
0.9.4 Public Test balance change patch notes

quote:

VIII Cleveland

The "Fighter" consumable was added to the same slot as the "Surveillance Radar" consumable.

IX Seattle , X Worcester

The "Fighter" and "Spotting Aircraft" consumables were added to the same slot as the "Surveillance Radar" consumable.
:confuoot:

(some other stuff in there as well, that one just jumped out at me)

e: Test ship balance chances too

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 24, 2020

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

Range mod spotter plane Worcester will have 23km range. I can only see this ending well.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

davejk posted:

Range mod spotter plane Worcester will have 23km range. I can only see this ending well.

Good luck landing shells before the match ends at that range...

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I haven't played this in forever and am trying to pick up where I left off. Most things seem pretty straightforward, but one I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around is the Russian DDs. I have a tier 5 (about to hit 6) Russian DD and I'm trying to remember the trick to these. As far as I can tell it's functionally the same as french cruisers? Like the torps are range 4 which seems useless except in an emergency, and the armor is paper thin, so I've just been hovering at max range and lobbing HE shells, but that doesn't feel very destroyer-y.

That said, I like the idea of a gunboat. I just can't remember why I didn't go cruisers instead. In a nutshell, am I supposed to be playing like this?

BB: Stay far away and away from BB turret angles, open up a salvo of HE rounds, try and set it on fire, and then run away if I start drawing fire from more maneuverable ships?
Other DDs: Use AP guns to attack them and basically be a cruiser
Cruisers: scary and will murder me, don't engage if I can help it

It's pretty fun, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong and don't feel like a DD at all

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

For those just starting or getting back into it, ichasegaming is doing a series on positioning and such that is pretty good, if a bit lengthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kssY4T-u-n0

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I haven't played this in forever and am trying to pick up where I left off. Most things seem pretty straightforward, but one I'm having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around is the Russian DDs. I have a tier 5 (about to hit 6) Russian DD and I'm trying to remember the trick to these. As far as I can tell it's functionally the same as french cruisers? Like the torps are range 4 which seems useless except in an emergency, and the armor is paper thin, so I've just been hovering at max range and lobbing HE shells, but that doesn't feel very destroyer-y.

That said, I like the idea of a gunboat. I just can't remember why I didn't go cruisers instead. In a nutshell, am I supposed to be playing like this?

BB: Stay far away and away from BB turret angles, open up a salvo of HE rounds, try and set it on fire, and then run away if I start drawing fire from more maneuverable ships?
Other DDs: Use AP guns to attack them and basically be a cruiser
Cruisers: scary and will murder me, don't engage if I can help it

It's pretty fun, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong and don't feel like a DD at all

Here's a guide from a really good Russian DD player.

You pretty much go to a flank where you're not right in front of your teammates, and shoot a lot. Not necessarily HE at maximum range, it can be worth getting close to use AP. If you're top tier in the tier 5 you can citadel cruisers. You also want to use HE against DDs 100% of the time.

Cruisers won't necessarily kill you, especially at low tier where most of them have really slow shells. You just kind of get a feel for how much damage you take at x range from x ship, and try to position so that you can do as much damage as possible without dying before the game is over.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
bad boat:

The Soyuz is reasons_i_hate_battleships.wowsreplay. It's tanky as gently caress so you live forever and watch as your team falls apart around you while you miss seven out of nine shells on a Grosser Kurfürst 12 km away. You do lots of damage though in the endgame when everyone yolos in to try to kill you. You want to be aggressive in this thing but it's not always so easy to do and even then I've had a lot of completely unwinnable matches in it. I'm currently wondering if I should get Kuznetsov or the Thunderer next but as bullshit as Kuznetsov is and as well as he fits the Kremlin I'm not sure I'm willing to put up with Soviet BB's. Could maybe put him in the CA's instead. I'll have to think about it. gently caress battleships in general though.

Except this one, which is a good boat:

I already waxed poetic about it on the previous page so I won't repeat myself at length, but seriously though. This is a loving magical ship. Get it. You wanna be aggressive in a battleship? This is the ticket right here. Show up in places nobody expects a battleship to be two minutes into the game, collect free devstrikes. You don't have to yolo every game though, because it's excellent at long range too. Nail those pesky angled Roons for a quarter of their health at 18km. Hit exactly where you aim every time. Citadel almost any cruiser at any angle you like. Run away from anyone you don't like. Don't like your flank? Turn around and go to the other one.

I love the Georgia's guns so, so much. Reliable guns are so drat nice. Especially when they overmatch almost everything and go through armor like a hot knife through butter. The hilarious speedboat hull is just icing on the cake.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 25, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

James Garfield posted:

Here's a guide from a really good Russian DD player.

You pretty much go to a flank where you're not right in front of your teammates, and shoot a lot. Not necessarily HE at maximum range, it can be worth getting close to use AP. If you're top tier in the tier 5 you can citadel cruisers. You also want to use HE against DDs 100% of the time.

Cruisers won't necessarily kill you, especially at low tier where most of them have really slow shells. You just kind of get a feel for how much damage you take at x range from x ship, and try to position so that you can do as much damage as possible without dying before the game is over.

Does he have more guides? I just logged in randomly last week and for some reason I had like 93 days premium. Looking for something to grind other than memeing GK secondary build during COIVD

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
The problem with your (lack) of ability to push the needle in the current meta, a visualization:

The Italian cruisers take time to really start racking up the damage, so despite another 3 100k+ damage games, they were all losses because we'd be down 4 or 5 ships within 3-4 minutes. It was infuriating, and I'm not surprised I'm chatbanned right now.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

I'm currently wondering if I should get Kuznetsov or the Thunderer next but as bullshit as Kuznetsov is and as well as he fits the Kremlin I'm not sure I'm willing to put up with Soviet BB's.

Get Thunderer. As stupid as Kuznetsov is, none of the special captains are worth as much as a ship. Thunderer is also very overpowered.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Got the Thunderer. Why do people fire HE in it, again? It's trash, exactly like all other BB HE. Great to shoot if you only care about big damage numbers but you love losing games and taking forever to kill anything. Like, yeah, if you have to sit and stare at an angled Kurfurst or whatever and you absolutely can't flank for some reason it's sorta useful, I guess. With these 457mm guns though you get 5k damage AP pens and you have pre-nerf Missouri concealment to flank people with, so why would I want to do half the damage and maybe start a fire that might do another AP pen and a half worth of damage, if it's on a battleship? Seriously, just loving ignore angled battleships, it takes loving forever to do anything about them, leave them to something with actual DPM and shoot cruisers instead.

Even then I really want a -75% expert loader captain on this because there are times HE is appropriate. I just don't want to lose opportunities to shoot juicy broadsides.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 26, 2020

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Had a crazy game earlier, somehow multiple battleships within 12km couldn't kill my Seattle, or even hurt it much until I had to rush the Musashi.

https://replayswows.com/replay/89146

Alpine Mustache
Jul 11, 2000

Anyone else see this crazyness over on reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWar...tm_medium=web2x

4-way ship-on-ship ramming action.
even has a replay link.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

TheFluff posted:

Got the Thunderer. Why do people fire HE in it, again? It's trash, exactly like all other BB HE. Great to shoot if you only care about big damage numbers but you love losing games and taking forever to kill anything. Like, yeah, if you have to sit and stare at an angled Kurfurst or whatever and you absolutely can't flank for some reason it's sorta useful, I guess. With these 457mm guns though you get 5k damage AP pens and you have pre-nerf Missouri concealment to flank people with, so why would I want to do half the damage and maybe start a fire that might do another AP pen and a half worth of damage, if it's on a battleship? Seriously, just loving ignore angled battleships, it takes loving forever to do anything about them, leave them to something with actual DPM and shoot cruisers instead.

Even then I really want a -75% expert loader captain on this because there are times HE is appropriate. I just don't want to lose opportunities to shoot juicy broadsides.

Shooting HE in battleships is sometimes necessary (e.g. when you're dealing with an angled Kremlin or Stalin or something) and in those situations Thunderer's HE is actually extremely good - it has 114mm pen, the highest HE DPM of everything except Conqueror, and a higher fire chance per minute than everything including Conqueror. Obviously you don't just spam it at everything like all the idiot pubbies do though.

It is unfortunate that there's no enhanced expert loader captain for the UK.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

davejk posted:

Shooting HE in battleships is sometimes necessary (e.g. when you're dealing with an angled Kremlin or Stalin or something) and in those situations Thunderer's HE is actually extremely good - it has 114mm pen, the highest HE DPM of everything except Conqueror, and a higher fire chance per minute than everything including Conqueror. Obviously you don't just spam it at everything like all the idiot pubbies do though.

It is unfortunate that there's no enhanced expert loader captain for the UK.

I guess having one would actually be a significant buff to the British BB's.

I was originally going to put Jack Dunkirk in it but using him would be taking the Royal Navy more seriously than they deserve, so when I saw I had anime Nelson sitting around for some reason I knew exactly what I had to do. I have an anime captain on the Yamato too, it's what battleships deserve. loving meme of a class, it is.

wdarkk posted:

Had a crazy game earlier, somehow multiple battleships within 12km couldn't kill my Seattle, or even hurt it much until I had to rush the Musashi.

quoting this as a reminder to myself to watch it tomorrow. could do no less as the resident seattle apologist

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 26, 2020

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Thunderer HE citadels Smolensk, so there’s a compelling reason to use it right there

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

Huh?? When did they move radar off the aircraft slot to begin with? I always remembered that being a choice.

Hell, yuro's old spotter meme video existed because he used that with the double catapult cap skill to have better radar than radar.

Edit: oh, cl line. Still thought they were stacked all this time.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Edit: oh, cl line. Still thought they were stacked all this time.

Cleveland can already use spotter plane in the radar slot, if you're an idiot. The slot defaults to radar and there isn't a spotter plane Cleveland video so you hardly ever see it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Does the Mutsuki line get better because I kind of want to just play the Isokaze rather than that piece of poo poo.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

serious gaylord posted:

Does the Mutsuki line get better because I kind of want to just play the Isokaze rather than that piece of poo poo.

Depends on in which sense. The torp reaction time is the same awful 9.8s from the Mutsuki and up, including on the Shimakaze. The Fubuki is a much better ship though with 9 torps instead of 6 and significantly better guns. If you don't like the pure torpedoboat playstyle in general though, don't play this line.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TheFluff posted:

Depends on in which sense. The torp reaction time is the same awful 9.8s from the Mutsuki and up, including on the Shimakaze. The Fubuki is a much better ship though with 9 torps instead of 6 and significantly better guns. If you don't like the pure torpedoboat playstyle in general though, don't play this line.

I liked it very much with the Isokaze. The Mutsukis awful 1 minute reload for 6 slow torpedos and poo poo rear end handling is terrible. I've not played a single game where I'd rather have had the Mutsuki instead of the Isokaze.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It hasn't been updated in a while, as Italian and European torpedoes are missing, but here's a list of most torpedoes in the game with their detection range and reaction time laid out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13s6LtFslxFF_p7P7Yu671zlur8Gwc1niAN03wJnDj6U/pubhtml

Some caveats to keep in mind are that there was a module update a few months ago that offered a new one that automatically detects ANY torpedo at 1.8km, meaning some (namely IJN) torpedoes are virtually unaffected, while others that have slower speed but significantly better concealment are suddenly rather worse. It's not generally a GOOD module choice, but it's available and affects things in at least some cases.

Relatedly, while active hydro also renders base detection irrelevant, meaning the same applies at an even further distance. And given basically everything that can run hydro is these days, since it shares a slot with the nearly worthless DFAA consumable, most cruisers are going to have it.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lord Koth posted:

It hasn't been updated in a while, as Italian and European torpedoes are missing, but here's a list of most torpedoes in the game with their detection range and reaction time laid out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13s6LtFslxFF_p7P7Yu671zlur8Gwc1niAN03wJnDj6U/pubhtml

Some caveats to keep in mind are that there was a module update a few months ago that offered a new one that automatically detects ANY torpedo at 1.8km, meaning some (namely IJN) torpedoes are virtually unaffected, while others that have slower speed but significantly better concealment are suddenly rather worse. It's not generally a GOOD module choice, but it's available and affects things in at least some cases.

Relatedly, when active hydro renders base detection irrelevant, meaning only the speed really matters from that chart (and IJN torpedoes do generally rate well there). And given basically everything that can run hydro is these days, since it shares a slot with the nearly worthless DFAA consumable, most cruisers are going to have it.

There's also the module that increases torpedo speed by 5%.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

wdarkk posted:

lmao @ that clutch shot on the Cleveland at the end, pubbie greed getting punished in the best way possible

I'm so weirded out by that Colorado just giving up shooting at you as you were farming him from within 10km. It happens sometimes I guess, pubbies are weird. Your Seattle playstyle is very different from mine though, I would have fought for that island cover near the B cap tooth and nail.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 26, 2020

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Oh, are the special captains worth anything? I have a British one and a French one, both from completing the boxes you get with coal. Are they good for a particular ship class?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Ataxerxes posted:

Oh, are the special captains worth anything? I have a British one and a French one, both from completing the boxes you get with coal. Are they good for a particular ship class?

All the special captains are different, some are really good and some are barely better than regular captains. The ones you get from collections only have 2-3 improved captain skills, where the improvement is usually quite small. The French one for example has improved Expert Marksman and improved Adrenaline Rush, and since you use AR on basically every ship and it's a really strong skill, he's good on basically anything, but if you want to take full advantage you should use him on something that also uses EM.

Captains like Halsey and Yamamoto that you get from campaigns or from buying them in the armory for an outrageous amount of coal also have special talents that get activated for getting certain achievments or fulfilling some condition - like, several of them gives you +1 consumable charge if you get first blood, Halsey gives a reload buff if you get Confederate, and so on. Some of these are really hard to trigger (Halsey has a concealment buff that triggers if you get a Double Strike IIRC) while some are triggered in basically every battle (e.g. Kuznetsov's heal that's triggered by dropping below 10% HP).

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

TheFluff posted:

All the special captains are different, some are really good and some are barely better than regular captains. The ones you get from collections only have 2-3 improved captain skills, where the improvement is usually quite small. The French one for example has improved Expert Marksman and improved Adrenaline Rush, and since you use AR on basically every ship and it's a really strong skill, he's good on basically anything, but if you want to take full advantage you should use him on something that also uses EM.

Thanks! Which boats use Expert Marksman, are they destroyers or cruisers?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks! Which boats use Expert Marksman, are they destroyers or cruisers?

Usually cruisers and battleships, though its dependent on your preferences. Ships that have slow turret traverse want Expert Marksman, to reduce the time they take to swing guns over after a turn (or just quickly snapshot a newly revealed target). Some cruisers have a fast enough traverse that its not needed. Some people deal with higher traverse to have those 2 points to put somewhere else. I'd recommend getting it on all battleships and most cruisers (namely not the British CLs as they have really good traverse). You could theoretically get it on DDs, too, and it has a stronger effect on them too, but most DDs already have pretty good turret traverse and NEED last stand as their first 2 point skill, so it typically never makes the cut. IJN DDs in particular see the most benefit, though, having glacial traverse times, but I personally never use it on the IJN DDs.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Usually cruisers and battleships, though its dependent on your preferences. Ships that have slow turret traverse want Expert Marksman, to reduce the time they take to swing guns over after a turn (or just quickly snapshot a newly revealed target). Some cruisers have a fast enough traverse that its not needed. Some people deal with higher traverse to have those 2 points to put somewhere else. I'd recommend getting it on all battleships and most cruisers (namely not the British CLs as they have really good traverse). You could theoretically get it on DDs, too, and it has a stronger effect on them too, but most DDs already have pretty good turret traverse and NEED last stand as their first 2 point skill, so it typically never makes the cut. IJN DDs in particular see the most benefit, though, having glacial traverse times, but I personally never use it on the IJN DDs.

Thanks!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Leningrad and gremy get a run with it as well. Mostly due to em and traverse module allowing the turrets to keep up while juking.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

JuffoWup posted:

Leningrad and gremy get a run with it as well. Mostly due to em and traverse module allowing the turrets to keep up while juking.

Yeah, EM is 100% necessary on both of those, and preferably an improved EM too. The Leningrad gets 6.5°/s, which is heavy cruiser level (e.g. the American heavy cruisers get 6°/s and the French get 7°/s). The Gremyaschy gets a stunning 5°/s, which is literally battleship level - you get exactly that turret traverse on the Bismarck, for example. Of course EM gives a much bigger buff to small guns, but still, it's abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i assume i should be picking IFHE for any French and American cruiser captains, right?