Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

How long is Tokyo Dark?

plus or minus an hour or three depending on how many of the alt endings you want to get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yep. It’s why it has a freak out and crashes on loading screens so easily on modern hardware. Various things don’t play nice with the ionlauncher.exe it runs in the background to reboot the game.

There's quite a few legacy old games on steam with depressing problems trying to run on modern systems that will never get fixed. Just from my experience

Jade Empire: have to mess with where the .exe is located in the steam folder, make a workaround to get it to load

Jet Set Radio: doesn't create saves properly,

Fallout 3: Big warning about not compatible with windows 7

And in general a lot of old or slapped together PC ports that didn't make changes to menu or UI so some of them won't even let you quit a game without having to alt-f4.

i've seen quite a few others that have massive warnings on the discussion pages about broken this or that and developers have checked out and it'll never get fixed. Most of them are "ran out of money game done" but there's assholes like Stardrive where he gave up on making MP work after promising for years and started promoting Stardrive 2.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i remember there were some positive feelings towards thea the awakening when it came out so i am surprised to see a thea 2 that i didnt know existed. did anyone buy it? i never got around to trying the first one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

There's quite a few legacy old games on steam with depressing problems trying to run on modern systems that will never get fixed. Just from my experience

Jade Empire: have to mess with where the .exe is located in the steam folder, make a workaround to get it to load

Jet Set Radio: doesn't create saves properly,

Fallout 3: Big warning about not compatible with windows 7

And in general a lot of old or slapped together PC ports that didn't make changes to menu or UI so some of them won't even let you quit a game without having to alt-f4.

i've seen quite a few others that have massive warnings on the discussion pages about broken this or that and developers have checked out and it'll never get fixed. Most of them are "ran out of money game done" but there's assholes like Stardrive where he gave up on making MP work after promising for years and started promoting Stardrive 2.

That’s why I’m building a retro PC I can slap windows XP on and play some old stuff that doesn’t work well with multi-core processors or windows 7. That and I need a project and am out of upgrades I can make to my gaming PCs. I’ll probably have to either dig up my CD’s or find GoG versions of the games, though. I can’t imagine Steam and something made of 2005 parts would work well together at all.

And seriously, gently caress the Stardrive guy. That game was nowhere near done when he abandoned it for the sequel, and my understanding is he never finished the sequel, either! The thread for that game was loving amazing just for his meltdowns though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Trying to quit to desktop in oblivion would always make my game crash. I would just play until I was ready for the game to crash and then click the “crash game” button

Orv
May 4, 2011

Awesome! posted:

i remember there were some positive feelings towards thea the awakening when it came out so i am surprised to see a thea 2 that i didnt know existed. did anyone buy it? i never got around to trying the first one.

It's More Better Thea, in essence. The game is still a really neat blend of what it's trying to do and is for the most part fixed up from the annoyances that the first game had.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s why I’m building a retro PC I can slap windows XP on and play some old stuff that doesn’t work well with multi-core processors or windows 7. That and I need a project and am out of upgrades I can make to my gaming PCs. I’ll probably have to either dig up my CD’s or find GoG versions of the games, though. I can’t imagine Steam and something made of 2005 parts would work well together at all.

And seriously, gently caress the Stardrive guy. That game was nowhere near done when he abandoned it for the sequel, and my understanding is he never finished the sequel, either! The thread for that game was loving amazing just for his meltdowns though.

The retro PC is a good idea but gently caress the new steam UI it chugs and stutters on my PC that can run Witcher 3 fairly well at low settings. I cant imagine it would even load on windows XP.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

pentyne posted:

The retro PC is a good idea but gently caress the new steam UI it chugs and stutters on my PC that can run Witcher 3 fairly well at low settings. I cant imagine it would even load on windows XP.

It runs like hot buttered rear end on my high-end gaming desktop. It likes to grab entire CPU cores for demanding tasks like “scrolling the list of games. No, not the one with the pictures, the text one on the left side of the screen”. I think it doesn’t matter how good your computer is, if it decides it wants to run badly it’s going to run badly.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

SimonChris posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/746850/Cloudpunk/

This just came out of nowhere and looks right up my alley. I am not sure about the price, though...

Just a followup to this, as I've put an hour and a half into it.

It's an absolutely beautiful game, despite everything being made up of blocks ala Minecraft. You drive and run around with gorgeous expanses of neon, flickering ads, and neighborhoods of varying grunginess depending on how rich they are. If you enjoy the whole cyberpunk aesthetic, you'll definitely enjoy "exploring" the city, eating ramen, collecting junk, and talking with the few people who you can interact with. The music and sound design are great, but the MC's footsteps get kinda annoying. Everything appears to be voiced, though so far things are about 50/50 good/mediocre. This game is literally Fetch Quest: The Game. The main story so far has been picking up packages at Point A and dropping them off that Point B. Or maybe not; there's some measure of branching paths, though I couldn't say how much it actually affects the game. Side quests are littered throughout the world, and some are as simple as having a conversation with people. You can customize your car, character (with cosmetics like new clothes) and apartment, though as far as I'm aware, only car upgrades provide any mechanical benefit.

So if you want to play what's essentially a visual novel where you cruise around in a hovercar with a dog AI doing dubious package deliveries because you're an essential worker in a cyberpunk game, I think you'll enjoy it. Definitely don't go in expecting deep gameplay or having to think much. It's a super chill game (except when NPC cars ram into you and force you to have to pay to repair your vehicle).

EDIT: It's not quite the same as a visual novel in that you can actually run around to do side quests, but it very much focuses more on story and aesthetic than gameplay.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 23, 2020

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TastyLemonDrops posted:

So if you want to play what's essentially a visual novel where you cruise around in a hovercar with a dog AI doing dubious package deliveries because you're an essential worker in a cyberpunk game, I think you'll enjoy it. Definitely don't go in expecting deep gameplay or having to think much. It's a super chill game (except when NPC cars ram into you and force you to have to pay to repair your vehicle).

Holy poo poo, I *do* want to do that

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

is ~1 hour of playtime for sayonara wild hearts accurate

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Awesome! posted:

more like ninety minutes, it's basically a long-ish music album

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Looking for a chill out take it easy game to play while watching tv or whatever. Any new stardew valley sorta games or whatever come out recently?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Can't download XCOM yet :argh:
But at least the key is redeemed :sun:

I'm watching Odd's playthrough of the first mission and I can't believe this game was only nine quid.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Awesome! posted:

A full run of Sayonara Wild Hearts will take somewhere around an hour. Most players will probably go back for at least another run or two, either for the scores/achievements or because the experience is really really cool and worth replaying a few times.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Just a followup to this, as I've put an hour and a half into it.

It's an absolutely beautiful game, despite everything being made up of blocks ala Minecraft. You drive and run around with gorgeous expanses of neon, flickering ads, and neighborhoods of varying grunginess depending on how rich they are. If you enjoy the whole cyberpunk aesthetic, you'll definitely enjoy "exploring" the city, eating ramen, collecting junk, and talking with the few people who you can interact with. The music and sound design are great, but the MC's footsteps get kinda annoying. Everything appears to be voiced, though so far things are about 50/50 good/mediocre. This game is literally Fetch Quest: The Game. The main story so far has been picking up packages at Point A and dropping them off that Point B. Or maybe not; there's some measure of branching paths, though I couldn't say how much it actually affects the game. Side quests are littered throughout the world, and some are as simple as having a conversation with people. You can customize your car, character (with cosmetics like new clothes) and apartment, though as far as I'm aware, only car upgrades provide any mechanical benefit.

EDIT: It's not quite the same as a visual novel in that you can actually run around to do side quests, but it very much focuses more on story and aesthetic than gameplay.

So...cyberpunk Euro Truck Simulator 2 with a story? Yep, that's a buy for me

Occultatio posted:

A full run of Sayonara Wild Hearts will take somewhere around an hour. Most players will probably go back for at least another run or two, either for the scores/achievements or because the experience is really really cool and worth replaying a few times.

Yeah I beat it in about an hour. I've played it twice since, it's an amazing little game.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 23, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Cactus posted:

I'm watching Odd's playthrough of the first mission and I can't believe this game was only nine quid.

Not the biggest fan of Xcom but that looks kinda cool, to be honest. Having unique characters with wildly different abilities makes it more appealing to me.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Also TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children coming out so close to a new Xcom and that Gears of War: But Xcom game is real dumb.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Det_no posted:

Also TROUBLESHOOTER: Abandoned Children coming out so close to a new Xcom and that Gears of War: But Xcom game is real dumb.

I've been meaning to get Troubleshooter, but I was reticent to buy into something like that that's not xcom. Would be cool to know how it's like.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I didn't realize there was a new xcom game coming out until today and now I'm watching a timer countdown until I can download it. What a pleasant surprise.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Agent355 posted:

I didn't realize there was a new xcom game coming out until today and now I'm watching a timer countdown until I can download it. What a pleasant surprise.

It was revealed this week

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Do we know how long the new Xcom is? It's mighty tempting but the dollar is pretty expensive as of late.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Reviews are saying 20 hours or so.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anyone try this Project Winter game that's having a free weekend? I seems like a game that is either really fun or really not with nothing in between.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There is at least a fan patch that unjanks some of Invisible War's woes.

I dunno, I wouldn't put above any of the other games but I still liked it. :shrug:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat horror queefs posted:

TROUBLESHOOTER is out of EA for those that were waiting (such as myself).

This is a great game that has chosen the literal worst time to come out of Early Access, strongly recommended for anyone who likes the tactical layer of XCOM and can stomach the anime presentation. Despite the full on Engrish on the store page, the Engrish in the game itself is under control.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How robust is the RPG and character building (in terms of mechanics, less so plot) of Troubleshooter?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Reviews are saying 20 hours or so.

What? God drat, I was expecting 10. 20 hours is longer than a lot of full-price games.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GrandpaPants posted:

How robust is the RPG and character building (in terms of mechanics, less so plot) of Troubleshooter?

You have set characters which gradually join your company, and often have control over extra characters in missions, some of whom may later join you.

Characters that are in your company begin with a specific class and after you level them some can switch to other classes, each in turn unlocks new skills as they level up (you keep these skills even if you later switch classes) that you can equip in limited slots, so you can tailor them that way, all skills and classes are unique. There are also masteries, which are essentially talents or perks that range from simple stuff like boosting your health or to-hit chance to more dramatic bonuses like overwatch¹ or a special effect to a given skill. You can have multiple mastery boards for each character, letting you quickly switch between sets of them.

¹while the main characters don't have Overwatch by default, the not-SWAT that often accompany you do. I think they did this to avoid overwatch creeping as a style.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

ZearothK posted:

This is a great game that has chosen the literal worst time to come out of Early Access, strongly recommended for anyone who likes the tactical layer of XCOM and can stomach the anime presentation. Despite the full on Engrish on the store page, the Engrish in the game itself is under control.

Yeah it's really bad luck for them, they were planning to release it on the 12th but had to delay due to the quarantine affecting things in Korea, and then a new budget XCOM gets announced a week before they release.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yeah it's really bad luck for them, they were planning to release it on the 12th but had to delay due to the quarantine affecting things in Korea, and then a new budget XCOM gets announced a week before they release.

Well maybe it wouldn't be so bad for them if they took the right lesson and decided to also have the decency to charge nine quid for it. :colbert:

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'll end up picking up both anyhow, I love all tactical rpg poo poo, shovel that right into my face hole.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

ZearothK posted:

You have set characters which gradually join your company, and often have control over extra characters in missions, some of whom may later join you.

Characters that are in your company begin with a specific class and after you level them some can switch to other classes, each in turn unlocks new skills as they level up (you keep these skills even if you later switch classes) that you can equip in limited slots, so you can tailor them that way, all skills and classes are unique. There are also masteries, which are essentially talents or perks that range from simple stuff like boosting your health or to-hit chance to more dramatic bonuses like overwatch¹ or a special effect to a given skill. You can have multiple mastery boards for each character, letting you quickly switch between sets of them.

¹while the main characters don't have Overwatch by default, the not-SWAT that often accompany you do. I think they did this to avoid overwatch creeping as a style.

I heard Job system and I'm already in.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GrandpaPants posted:

Don't get TOO excited, they're not as distinct as FF jobs or anything.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1253292802005491715

Aah. It's good to see that even in this new world we live in, some things will never change.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
all of you can hit install on XCOM now

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zetsubou-san posted:

all of you can hit install on XCOM now

It's installing now and I'm partying because I just beat State of Decay 2 on nightmare mode from start to finish. That was... a nightmare :v: and I don't want to do it again. Instead I will play on normal or dread so I can, y'know, actually use noisemakers and not have to crouch everywhere.

God it feels so satisfying to actually beat and finish a game. The only achievements left for SoD2 are either the heartland DLC (haven't touched yet) which is a whole separate thing, or multiplayer junk. And the 100 day survival achievement. I'll get to that, but the primary challenge of the base game is complete and I feel awesome. :D

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Det_no posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1253292802005491715

Aah. It's good to see that even in this new world we live in, some things will never change.

Only Bethesda could make a radiant AI so bad it looped back around to good and started trying to destroy the game to experience the sweet relief of death.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

GrandpaPants posted:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Don't get TOO excited, they're not as distinct as FF jobs or anything.

Yeah, each character gets only three classes with some associated skills and stat modifiers, it really isn't FF at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

For the King is free on Epic now, I remember hearing good things about it a while back.