Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

80-90% is way too much of a nerf on the Peacocks.

Yeah I had a special thing with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LastGoodBoy posted:

A large bell rug.

I hate not being able to place rugs outside

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Well that's a shame, I found myself constantly running circuits along my hybrids because peacocks were so reliable a money source. Maybe it's for the better.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Oxyclean posted:

https://twitter.com/_Ninji/status/1253495611300741126?s=20

I thought it was my imagination when I wasn't seeing many peacocks after the patch.

This is rather kind of disappointing. I don't think I like them using patches to meddle with bell making methods. Not when turnips are insanely lucrative and honestly kind of tiring to deal with.

Before the game was released there was a bit of a dust up over the "Includes in-app purchases" label, and we've yet to see what that refers to and this is kind of making me afraid they're going to introduce a Honey mechanic from Pocket Camp.

(I was going to say it's weird that they're nerfing all these other ways of making bells but leaving turnips intact when turnips are so far and away the easiest way to make bells, but then I remembered turnips heavily encourage players to purchase Nintendo Online subscriptions)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 24, 2020

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy
maybe I could have flick make a bunch of tarantula models and stick em in the middle of the maze

or just everywhere

bomb and bell rug are also good ideas

edit: gently caress my stockpile of tarantulas aren't going to feed my bank?! God damnit nintendo

Guess I'll be getting those models sooner

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

there are basically two ways for the devs to fix the economy without everybody screaming about it

one: give up trying to balance it

two: add more money sinks, more things to buy. this both helps and hurts the problem since it encourages more turnip farming but it also at the very least gives you something to loving buy with the money.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Dang it, I didn't know Lief was going to leave in the evening, and between doing real life stuff and prioritizing other things in game I totally missed him. Anybody still have him hanging around and willing to invite me over? Assuming it's not like CJ and Flick where visitors can't participate.

broken pixel posted:

This guide makes me feel pressured to make perfect flower plots like I did in NL. Is it truly worth the effort to plot out 7x7 grids of flowers? Will my efficiency plummet if I do small versions of the fancy plots? What do I do with my life?

You don't have to make big grids, especially not as huge as the ones on that infographic. Simply pairing off the flowers you want to breed works pretty well, and if you alternate it with another species of flower it's pretty space efficient.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Also no, I don't think the prices on any bugs were changed, just their spawn rates

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

TurnipFritter posted:

Before the game was released there was a bit of a dust up over the "Includes in-app purchases" label, and we've yet to see what that refers to and this is kind of making me afraid they're going to introduce a Honey mechanic from Pocket Camp.

Was that ever confirmed to just be like, the thing where you can immediately go to the eShop to buy a subscription from the Airport if you try and visit/host people online?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Nerfing insect rates sucks for people who haven't caught stuff for the museum yet. Why not just lower the price on them rather than messing with the spawn rates?

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

runchild posted:

Dang it, I didn't know Lief was going to leave in the evening, and between doing real life stuff and prioritizing other things in game I totally missed him. Anybody still have him hanging around and willing to invite me over? Assuming it's not like CJ and Flick where visitors can't participate.

He's still here for me and you can buy things.

I'll open for a short while:

Closed.

Kiwillian fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 24, 2020

Stool Sample
Nov 8, 2006

EVERYONE Poops!?

Lipstick Apathy

Color Printer posted:

Also no, I don't think the prices on any bugs were changed, just their spawn rates

Ah, that's ok then I guess. Hopefully tarantula farming won't take an obscene amount of time.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

Did they just nerf the prices on tarantulas and scorpions, I take it?

not prices, spawn rates.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

SeXReX posted:

Gonna bribe the dumb dog to get 5 stars

https://twitter.com/SecksWrecks/status/1253479978932383744/

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

https://twitter.com/_Ninji/status/1253495611300741126?s=20

I thought it was my imagination when I wasn't seeing many peacocks after the patch.

This is rather kind of disappointing. I don't think I like them using patches to meddle with bell making methods. Not when turnips are insanely lucrative and honestly kind of tiring to deal with.

Nooooo..... :(

That’s why it was such a bad day for butterflies today. How am I going to pay off my house? Most of my money was coming from the peacock butterflies that hovered around my purple and blue hybrids. I think I only caught a single one all day.

This seriously blows. I don’t like dealing with turnips because that requires going elsewhere to sell and it’s only once a week. I can only afford to buy a few at a time anyways.

Butterflies was 90% on my income!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Yeah, that stinks. I just heavily invested in nets because I was making bank on butterflies. Guess it's back to fishing like a sucker.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Looking at the raw data Ninji linked, the butterfly spawn rates went up except for the Peacock butterfly

https://wuffs.org/acnh/insects120.html

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I don’t care much about the income (thought it was nice), but the peacocks and other rarer butterflies are just so pretty...I want them to spawn more often for that reason alone

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hey so I don't suppose that if you fill up all your pro design squares, more get added?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TurnipFritter posted:

(I was going to say it's weird that they're nerfing all these other ways of making bells but leaving turnips intact when turnips are so far and away the easiest way to make bells, but then I remembered turnips heavily encourage players to purchase Nintendo Online subscriptions)

the label was a mistake and isn't on the final box so cool your jets

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Hey so I don't suppose that if you fill up all your pro design squares, more get added?

Nope, that's it. It sucks rear end

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

:negative: i liked catching peacock butterflies near my sick black roses......

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

flatluigi posted:

the label was a mistake and isn't on the final box so cool your jets

It's listed on both the eShop and Nintendo's official Animal Crossing website though?
https://store.nintendo.com/animal-crossing-new-horizons-digital.html
https://www.animal-crossing.com/new-horizons/buy/

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Booky posted:

:negative: i liked catching peacock butterflies near my sick black roses......

Get some white flowers and catch you some Orchid mantises. They're worth only 100 less per.

My only lament atm is 1: probably not being able to catch a Marlin without some serious grinding for fish and making bait (why can't I batch craft Nintendo!?) and 2: I didn't get enough Aries crystals to make its Furniture. Also, I missed Stringfish in March so that bites.

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(

Doesn't say anything in the eshop on the switch for me or the local online store:

https://ec.nintendo.com/NZ/en/titles/70010000027620

Maybe they'll just milk Americans :)

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I remember seeing itt someone had a bepis logo for their drink machine. Any chance you could share that? I'd love to be able to use it on my island as well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've spent like five million on my house upgrades alone, I don't see what the big deal is :confused:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
my opinion on peacock butteryflies is that if you're the special kind of crazy person (like me) who has decided to go all in on crossbreeding, your dedication should be rewarded with infinite pretty & lucrative bugs

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Looking at the raw data Ninji linked, the butterfly spawn rates went up except for the Peacock butterfly

https://wuffs.org/acnh/insects120.html

The tweet mentioned one effect is that they normalized spawns across seasons/months; like common butterflies were previously higher in march, but lower in other months. March got lowered, April got brought up.

Even then, it's really just the cheap butterflies that got increases. It seems like any of the rarer or more valuable ones saw decreases.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Xelkelvos posted:

Get some white flowers and catch you some Orchid mantises. They're worth only 100 less per.

yeah, but you don't have to sneak up on butterflies so it's less effort :v:

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Tomorrow I'm going to have an open lot because Sly moved out today. Is it worth it to blow a bunch of miles on Mystery Island tickets and hope to get someone good? There's no guarantee there'll even be a potential villager on the mystery island, right? I mean I do have a bunch of Nook Miles saved up...

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Anyone still have a Leif around who sells Camellias?

I got them

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 24, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Digital Osmosis posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to have an open lot because Sly moved out today. Is it worth it to blow a bunch of miles on Mystery Island tickets and hope to get someone good? There's no guarantee there'll even be a potential villager on the mystery island, right? I mean I do have a bunch of Nook Miles saved up...

As long as you got a lot open there will be villagers on mystery islands.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Digital Osmosis posted:

Nah, there's always a villager to find if you have an open slot as far as I've seen. Whether it's a good one is another question, but it's a ton of fun to just spend the day finding randos.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

my opinion on peacock butteryflies is that if you're the special kind of crazy person (like me) who has decided to go all in on crossbreeding, your dedication should be rewarded with infinite pretty & lucrative bugs
I like the idea of rare expensive butterflies as a reward for hybrid breeding. It's a nifty way to indirectly make money that feels good.

However there are hybrid islands. I got around 30 purple mums and planted them evenly around my island. My island has been infested by a perpetual cloud of peacock butterflies ever since with really minimal effort on my part.

I obviously don't like that it's not the case anymore, but I can see that might not have been the intended experience.

Personally, I was hoping that hybrids would sell for more money now that they could regrow, and that farming them could be a source of income. But it's just as well that's not the case, as they take two days to regrow and so would be stems more often than not and that would have been lame.

Hopefully when they add food crops that'll be a legit source of money. Perfect fruit was the way to get money out of growing plants in New Leaf and I'm sad that's gone, 'cause it was really satisfying to set it all that infrastructure (grow all those trees) and then reap the benefits.

Waking up before noon every day is not fun, and so I am not fond of the stalk market as the way to make money.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

Seriously... It took a lot of time to get these hybrids! It makes sense as a nice reward for flower breeding efforts.

I don’t wanna go back to fishing....

BIGTITTYVEGANGIRL
Dec 17, 2019
Hey y’all, Celeste is on my island if you wanna come visit!

All stores are closed and there’s so random stuff on the ground if you feel like taking it.

If you do come and are feeling generous, you could donate to the incline I’m building in the NW part of the island but it’s not mandatory!

Closed!

BIGTITTYVEGANGIRL fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 24, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

The tweet mentioned one effect is that they normalized spawns across seasons/months; like common butterflies were previously higher in march, but lower in other months. March got lowered, April got brought up.

Even then, it's really just the cheap butterflies that got increases. It seems like any of the rarer or more valuable ones saw decreases.

Sunset Moth, Agrias and the Birdwing all got increases

Booky posted:

yeah, but you don't have to sneak up on butterflies so it's less effort :v:

If you gotta sneak up on a Mantis you're probably doing it wrong. You don't even gotta creep up on them like Atlas moths or anything on a stump. Just walk (not run) up and when you're about the right distance, swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My current annoyance is that paths don't quite reach the shore of any river or pond. There's that little strip of green in between and it's annoying. Same with on angled/curved terrain. I built a second lake on my island at least, even if it's on the top level of my island there the river's head used to be. That slope to the back beach looks like a slick idea that I want to imitate though.