Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TenementFunster posted:

i think the focus with stoves and fire pits is because most campsites in asia don't allow ground fires, whereas virtually all US campgrounds do, unless there is a conditions-specific burn ban in effect.

So..... California. Where I live. =P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

SwissArmyDruid posted:

well, whoops.

anyway, post your weeb camping stove knowledge. this is the thread for it. here is my favorite, the snow peak home and camp burner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIziiX-p1vM

it has a very powerful secret:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbtD-mISU5Q&t=262s
waverider mode

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 5, 2020

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....I can't be mad at more people going camping. Especially not when it's the stereotypically-fastidious Japanese, or, for that matter, someone on the opposite side of the globe. Go camp, you otaku! Broaden your horizons! Become a multi-faceted person!

That said, I have been getting deep into asian camping stoves. Like, there is this entire segment of camping that's completely foreign to western camping, with the gas bottles and the fully self-enclosed tents and emphasis on lightness and melting nylon that you don't have in Asia. There's an entire culture that revolves around camps you bring your heating into, like... well. Yurts.

Like how Grandpa camps, with the center-pole tent.

I, too, have seen the blazing camp furnaces of the carbound Japanese camper and been tempted. But i have yet to be tricked into spending money on being ... *hiss* ... more comfortable than I need to.

Edit: for real though, anyone bought one of those stoves? That's a lot more wood than my west-coast self can muster, but it looks so comfy.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SwissArmyDruid posted:

....I can't be mad at more people going camping. Especially not when it's the stereotypically-fastidious Japanese, or, for that matter, someone on the opposite side of the globe. Go camp, you otaku! Broaden your horizons! Become a multi-faceted person!

That said, I have been getting deep into asian camping stoves. Like, there is this entire segment of camping that's completely foreign to western camping, with the gas bottles and the fully self-enclosed tents and emphasis on lightness and melting nylon that you don't have in Asia. There's an entire culture that revolves around camps you bring your heating into, like... well. Yurts.

Like how Grandpa camps, with the center-pole tent.

i'm kind of brainlet right now and can't parse what you're illustrating here but when i used to be in boy scouts doing tons of camping our troop (an asian one) would always have both gas propane burners for meal prep along with setting up campfires from scratch. the two times i've gone camping past scouting the gas burner has been a mainstay for both times even if i knew i was going to strike up an actual campfire. it's just convenient to have a stable surface to boil water or whatever without having to pack an entire car's worth of garbage

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

well, whoops.

anyway, post your weeb camping stove knowledge. this is the thread for it. here is my favorite, the snow peak home and camp burner.

waverider mode

ooh, I want this stove! Much more versatile than just bringing a jetboil

SwissArmyDruid posted:

yeah, I just assume that most places don't allow open fires so a jetboil will suffice to cover most cases.

Futaba Anzu posted:

i'm kind of brainlet right now and can't parse what you're illustrating here but when i used to be in boy scouts doing tons of camping our troop (an asian one) would always have both gas propane burners for meal prep along with setting up campfires from scratch. the two times i've gone camping past scouting the gas burner has been a mainstay for both times even if i knew i was going to strike up an actual campfire. it's just convenient to have a stable surface to boil water or whatever without having to pack an entire car's worth of garbage

this was the same case for me, I think. Coleman butane campstoves for cooking, campfire for warming up and making marshmallows.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TenementFunster posted:

well, whoops.

waverider mode

I can't take those things seriously, Snow Peak look like they went, "hey, you know those butane hot pot burner things that we make nabe on at home? Let's try miniaturizing one of those!" And they did.

Futaba Anzu posted:

Hot tenting is what I'm talking about.

Brought about because it has not been a warm spring where I'm at, so you could still have the excuse for bringing a heavier tent and heating the entire inside.

At any rate, I'd like to go camping overseas for the experience, and fall/winter/early spring camping is my jam AND WHAT I'D BE DOING RIGHT NOW IF I WEREN'T QUARANTINED.

edit: And now it's raining, so yeah, I would love to be out there hot tenting it, with the flap open and just watching the rain come down around the trees.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 5, 2020

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I can't take those things seriously, Snow Peak look like they went, "hey, you know those butane hot pot burner things that we make nabe on at home? Let's try miniaturizing one of those!" And they did.

Yeah, and? Those burners are basically a camp stove with more sheet metal to hide the guts behind.

I don't remember the show ever showing off liquid fueled stoves, given it's focus on winter camping. Or maybe technology has moved on from what it was 20 years ago.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
liquid fuel stoves and lanterns are the grandpas guitars of camping.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

well, whoops.

waverider mode

for anyone interested, rei has this for about $82 until april 27 (I think). Normally $110.

https://www.rei.com/product/169523/snow-peak-home-camp-butane-stove

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The latest volume explains how Inukos eyebrows work

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

el dorito posted:

for anyone interested, rei has this for about $82 until april 27 (I think). Normally $110.

https://www.rei.com/product/169523/snow-peak-home-camp-butane-stove
ugh, i love it but i don’t want to have to buy two different kinds of fuel canisters

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

ugh, i love it but i don’t want to have to buy two different kinds of fuel canisters

do you have a liquid fuel stove? The next stove I get is probably gonna be an msr whisperlite if I can get enough mileage out of the butane stove. How do you like it? I worry a lot about leaks when it comes to liquid fuel, so I've had a preference for gas for now.

I've been using my msr jetboil up to this point. It's a reliable friend and I'll still take it with me for winter camping. But I'd like to try something other than MREs or a cold sandwich for dinner or granola bars for breakfast.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, a lot of camping websites tend to extensively crap on butane stoves so I'd like to see if there's any fuel to whatever claims are simmering in their heads.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The best way to have a fire is to marry someone who loves fire as much as you.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ElMaligno posted:

The best way to have a fire is to marry someone who loves fire as much as you.

I don't necessarily like fires as much as I like a hot breakfast

so I guess I need to marry someone that loves a hot breakfast, preferably pancakes or scrambled eggs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also coffee

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

el dorito posted:

I don't necessarily like fires as much as I like a hot breakfast

so I guess I need to marry someone that loves a hot breakfast, preferably pancakes or scrambled eggs

el dorito posted:

also coffee

She is a former-Mormon turned vegan and yet she will cook pancakes and eggs for me.

She drinks decaf, but nobody is perfect.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ElMaligno posted:

She is a former-Mormon turned vegan and yet she will cook pancakes and eggs for me.

She drinks decaf, but nobody is perfect.

Assuming that you're married to her, I guess I should start looking for someone else

well, I hear that the most important step to finding love is knowing what you want

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/muramitsu__/status/1254127294060220417

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

el dorito posted:

do you have a liquid fuel stove? The next stove I get is probably gonna be an msr whisperlite if I can get enough mileage out of the butane stove. How do you like it? I worry a lot about leaks when it comes to liquid fuel, so I've had a preference for gas for now.

I've been using my msr jetboil up to this point. It's a reliable friend and I'll still take it with me for winter camping. But I'd like to try something other than MREs or a cold sandwich for dinner or granola bars for breakfast.
i have two little primus essential trail stoves. liquid fuel was miserable and high maintenance 20 years ago. i can’t imagine using one now. the msr windburner and jetboils rule, though. i’d have one if i was backpacking, but the gf and i are strictly outclub casuals. i’d have a big ol’ dual burner if i had the storage space, or some ridiculous snow peak IGT setup.

i couldn’t camp with cold food, though, even if i’m just heating up beans or making eggs.

we managed to sneak out last week for some ultimate social isolation with our weeb-inspired setup:

el dorito posted:

also, a lot of camping websites tend to extensively crap on butane stoves so I'd like to see if there's any fuel to whatever claims are simmering in their heads.
if you’re at any appreciable altitude, you want isobutane instead of pure butane, but aside from that, i can’t imagine what they would complain about.

camping pancakes rule, but the syrup seems to get everywhere, just like bacon grease. i do eggs, sausage, and coffee. many some tinned cinnamon rolls if i’m feeling fancy. if you like coffee, you gotta get a french press attachment for your jet boil.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 5, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

TenementFunster posted:

i have two little primus essential trail stoves. liquid fuel was miserable and high maintenance 20 years ago. i can’t imagine using one now. the msr windburner and jetboils rule, though. i’d have one if i was backpacking, but the gf and i are strictly outclub casuals. i’d have a big ol’ dual burner if i had the storage space, or some ridiculous snow peak IGT setup.

i couldn’t camp with cold food, though, even if i’m just heating up beans or making eggs.

we managed to sneak out last week for some ultimate social isolation with our weeb-inspired setup:

nice

this is laid-back camp club anyway, not the backcountry camping club, so casuals are the norm

I have an msr PocketRocket (I think) but it's never been used more than a handul of times, and it's more of an emergency stove if the jetboil ever has problems (the jetboil never has problems)

quote:

if you’re at any appreciable altitude, you want isobutane instead of pure butane, but aside from that, i can’t imagine what they would complain about.

camping pancakes rule, but the syrup seems to get everywhere, just like bacon grease. i do eggs, sausage, and coffee. many some tinned cinnamon rolls if i’m feeling fancy. if you like coffee, you gotta get a french press attachment for your jet boil.

thanks for the advice.

yeah, syrup gets everywhere and there's never a good way to really guarantee that things won't get sticky.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kwyndig posted:

Chikuwa!

StandardVC10 posted:

I would expect nothing less

https://www.goodsmileus.com/product/nendoroid-ena-saito-1680/

Chikuwa pre-orders are live!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Preordered. Hopefully shipping options won’t just be DHL when it gets released, whenever that is; friends are having trouble with any other option currently because of the lack of SAL and Japan Post shipping to the US right now.

Now that I have funds due to unemployment coming in and not having anything major to spend it on, I guess I’ll get the other nendos from the series that I saw for sale at my local (but not really, it’s 2 hours by subway away in Queens, but also 3 blocks from my parents’ place and my doctor’s office) animu store, once they open back up after this lockdown, whenever that is.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
As a small heads up, Mono has been picked up by another scanlation group and has been getting more chapters translated.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Afro's getting meta.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1301719152286216199?s=19

Shimarin is getting ANOTHER release, now with her scooter.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

starbucks hermit posted:

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1301719152286216199?s=19

Shimarin is getting ANOTHER release, now with her scooter.

...And preordered on CDJapan, hopefully the points I have there should cover it and the massive shipping costs I have to pay now that I can’t slow ship things from Japan because of the travel ban making SAL packet shipping on passenger planes impossible...

Been collecting the manga as it comes out, and it’s really making me anticipate this winter when the new season premiers. Lot of material to adapt and look forward to. Had to buy Volume 9 twice when I accidentally left my first copy on the Express Bus when I was heading to work last week.

They’ve also cast Kurosawa Tomoyo (who I mostly know as Misaki/Michelle from Hello, Happy World in Bandori and Kumiko in Euphonium) as Nadeshiko’s childhood friend who will show up for probably a couple of episodes. Aoi’s sister will probably have a bigger role, but I forget who they had as her seiyuu in her brief appearance in Heya Camp stuffs in Season 1.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Winter is coming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZzz70nqyJg

Get the blankets ready

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That'd make for a radically different poster than Game of Thrones.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

lagidnam posted:

Winter is coming

Get the blankets ready
Wish it came in the fall.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I mean its kind of still fitting. even now, with what is probably like. another whole season worth of manga out now, they're STILL in winter. it seems like its probably late winter by the end of volume 9, but.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:aaa: season 2.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

lagidnam posted:

Winter is coming

Get the blankets ready

:comfyoot: :comfyzelda: :comfyoot:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:comfyzelda:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I am excite.

I haven't really been able to really do any outdoors stuff due to the pandemic, and then the heat, and then the smoke, but last month I remembered there's a local trail that doesn't get much traffic because it goes up 500 feet over a quarter/half mile. But the view ended up being worth it:

I've watched a bit of "Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater" too, but it's more like Encouragement of Climb but about fishing.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

C.M. Kruger posted:

I am excite.

I haven't really been able to really do any outdoors stuff due to the pandemic, and then the heat, and then the smoke, but last month I remembered there's a local trail that doesn't get much traffic because it goes up 500 feet over a quarter/half mile. But the view ended up being worth it:

I've watched a bit of "Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater" too, but it's more like Encouragement of Climb but about fishing.

:nice:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeeeeeeeees, can't wait.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/OrmilleF/status/1312233118703579138?s=20

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:nice:

Adbot