Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Brother Entropy posted:

gil just had the bad luck

Classic Gil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Uncle Wemus posted:

I stopped watching ages ago did they start making Gil a bigger character?

To contribute:

lmao

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I blame Gil for the eventual emergence of "cucked"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Gil was another one of those characters that was funny and made sense in the context of one episode, but they kept bringing him back for some reason.

the guy in the pretzel video is the best gil bit even though he's called frank ormand in that episode.

"check for...euughhhh...millipedes....ughhhhh...."

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Gil was another one of those characters that was funny and made sense in the context of one episode, but they kept bringing him back for some reason.

pitch a fitness fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 23, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Excelzior posted:

I blame Gil for the eventual emergence of "cucked"

I blame Keokuk and Cucamonga. Maybe Seattle.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is probably less amusing than I think it is

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Rarity posted:

This is probably less amusing than I think it is

:golfclap:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
gil was clearly trying to fill the role of troy mclure after phil hartman died and he sucks

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Sagebrush posted:

the guy in the pretzel video is the best gil bit even though he's called frank ormand in that episode.

His laugh in that scene is an massively underappreciated bit.

"Uh, hyuh huh hah-a hyuh huh hah."

https://youtu.be/yQTlEQVtUFQ

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sagebrush posted:

I'm really sorry if I'm not giving you enough credit and you've done this on purpose: that's actually, literally Jack Lemon

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

bump_fn posted:

gil was clearly trying to fill the role of troy mclure after phil hartman died and he sucks

:goonsay:

Gil was 100% just another riff on Jack Lemmon's character from Glengarry Glenn Ross. Then after Hartman died and took Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure with him, the Simpsons didn't have a go-to attorney character for a while. The writers knew drat well they could never replace Lionel Hutz, so I respect their instinct to go after Gil-- another incompetent white guy who is pathetic in a different way than Lionel Hutz was-- but because most of Simpsons at that time was absolute dogshit they could never give Gil material that made him more than "eh, I guess he'll do" as a replacement.

Yeah Gil sucks.

Propaganda Hour posted:

As-is the Pretzel Fever line. I would kill to get a legend like Lemmon's impressions of the script and what informed his decision to play out that delivery, because he loving kills.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

mind the walrus posted:

:goonsay:

Gil was 100% just another riff on Jack Lemmon's character from Glengarry Glenn Ross. Then after Hartman died and took Lionel Hutz and Troy McClure with him, the Simpsons didn't have a go-to attorney character for a while. The writers knew drat well they could never replace Lionel Hutz, so I respect their instinct to go after Gil-- another incompetent white guy who is pathetic in a different way than Lionel Hutz was-- but because most of Simpsons at that time was absolute dogshit they could never give Gil material that made him more than "eh, I guess he'll do" as a replacement.

Yeah Gil sucks.

I get why they did it, but Lionel Hutz was a schmoozer and crafty compared to Gil's completely luckless dumping ground. Hutz was incompetent like a lot of the Springfield regulars. The police are a mix between incompetent and corrupt, Krusty isn't funny and doesn't like kids, most of the teachers are various levels of apathetic, and Homer is King Incompetent of them all. But Gil is just an out and out spineless looser. Even Millhouse and Kirk reach a point where they stand up for themselves. But there's nothing to Gil other than being a punching bag.

I think another sad thing is we probably would have gotten a Hutz focused episode back in the good days.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Propaganda Hour posted:

drat, I legitimately thought it was Gil that ran that franchise.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Found on Reddit titled: The first day of working remotely vs. the 40th.

https://i.imgur.com/dkjFLwo.mp4

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Gil is funny he's just overused

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah men when you've got an actual episode with Jack Lemmon doing the Gil routine there's no way to make a diet echo of the same concept worth a drat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wl4ZX4-ui8

"No don't put him on... Hello Fred!"

Gil is good

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Just like the television show "The Simpsons"

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's really easy to overuse him, too. Same with Moleman, really. Hans should only exist to be trepanated and hit in the groin by a football. Gil should fill a similar part.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's really easy to overuse him, too. Same with Moleman, really. Hans should only exist to be trepanated and hit in the groin by a football. Gil should fill a similar part.

oh no, my brains!

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

finalellipsis posted:

combinatory value and relevance, together at last!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kuros posted:

Found on Reddit titled: The first day of working remotely vs. the 40th.

https://i.imgur.com/dkjFLwo.mp4

This is distressingly accurate.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lionel Hutz was funny because of his unwarranted bravado despite total incompetence. He's basically a legal version of Dr Nick. Gil is too openly pathetic to be funny outside a short scene because it's obvious to everyone in-universe and out how incompetent he is.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lionel Hutz was funny because of his unwarranted bravado despite total incompetence. He's basically a legal version of Dr Nick. Gil is too openly pathetic to be funny outside a short scene because it's obvious to everyone in-universe and out how incompetent he is.

Yeah a lot of the times Hutz manages to make things work but he's dodgy as hell.

quote:

No, money down!

I'm not wearing a tie at all.

I rest my case...Oh I thought that was a figure of speech! Case closed.

The truth :nono: and, the truth! :D

You'd be surprised how often that works, you really would!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I recently watched the one where Homer sues the all you can eat seafood place, and Hutz actually did a good job in that case. Sure, a lot of it was jury selection, but that's part of being a good lawyer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqT-AvswCZo

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What also makes Hutz work is his complete lack of shame, ethics or scruples.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I work for my parents and we do frequently use "Gil's a-dancin'!" as a catchphrase to describe trying to make sales.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What also makes Hutz work is his complete lack of shame, ethics or scruples.

Right. Hutz and Nick are both (somewhat) successful despite their drawbacks. I mean, successful enough to keep up appearances despite not wearing shoes or knowing how blood works. They're similar to Homer in that way, so they work to underpin the same universe (buffoons never really failing) from different angles. Gil is pitiful and a failure, so he feels inconsistent with the rest of the cast in a supporting role instead of a bit part.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Right. Hutz and Nick are both (somewhat) successful despite their drawbacks. I mean, successful enough to keep up appearances despite not wearing shoes or knowing how blood works. They're similar to Homer in that way, so they work to underpin the same universe (buffoons never really failing) from different angles. Gil is pitiful and a failure, so he feels inconsistent with the rest of the cast in a supporting role instead of a bit part.

Hmm, does that make Gil a bit Grimesey? Too realistic in his patheticness (cf Grimes' competence and attitude to Homer), in a world where consequences are usually "hilarious" not "serious"?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Gil fails because he is self-aware. He is burdened with cognizance of his ineptitude.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This is more thought than the Simpsons writers room has ever put into Gil

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Bobstar posted:

Hmm, does that make Gil a bit Grimesey? Too realistic in his patheticness (cf Grimes' competence and attitude to Homer), in a world where consequences are usually "hilarious" not "serious"?

Grimes is brilliant and tortured by his inconsistency with the universe. He always fails despite his perfection. Homers Enemy is also an episode that is sometimes referred to as Jumping the Shark because Grimes critiques the universe.

So the universe kills him.

Of course, this is just one of many, many (unfunny) readings of the Simpsons.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Propaganda Hour posted:

Grimes is brilliant and tortured by his inconsistency with the universe. He always fails despite his perfection. Homers Enemy is also an episode that is sometimes referred to as Jumping the Shark because Grimes critiques the universe.

So the universe kills him.

Of course, this is just one of many, many (unfunny) readings of the Simpsons.

Grimes was an rear end in a top hat and a capitalist stooge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40sJOkxnac

Anyway, Frank Grimes' wasn't killed because he critiqued the universe, he died because of his own obsession and inability to accept that the world might not work the way he thought it did.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Grimes was an rear end in a top hat and a capitalist stooge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P40sJOkxnac

Anyway, Frank Grimes' wasn't killed because he critiqued the universe, he died because of his own obsession and inability to accept that the world might not work the way he thought it did.

yesss, love this video

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

post memes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

spaceblancmange fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 24, 2020