Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

MonsieurChoc posted:

So I just joined a Dark Heresy 2E game on discord (which is like my fourth or fifth online game because corona) and I wanna know if the game's good/tips and tricks. I made a Mechanicus Seeker and I think it's a fun character concept (cyber-detective) but I'm not sure how mechanically good it is or what to focus on advancements.

you can make admech characters totally brokedick since the implants and talents get really ridiculous, although tbh it's been so long I don't really remember them off the top of my head. Flesh is Weak I think got a minor debuff in 2E but remained one of the best talents in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Stack armour and upgrades to the point where you can take a lascannon shot to the face and not even notice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pharmaskittle posted:

you can make admech characters totally brokedick since the implants and talents get really ridiculous, although tbh it's been so long I don't really remember them off the top of my head. Flesh is Weak I think got a minor debuff in 2E but remained one of the best talents in the game.

I went with Ballistic Mechadendrite to abuse my Weapon-Tech talent from my homeworld without having to buy a weapon or talent to use a higher tech weapon. I also got the Interface port for Cyber-Dectective purposes.

I spent my starting XP on stats and skills and talents I had double-aptitudes since it seemed like the best cost-benefit ratio. As is I could go for full-investigative or full combat monster with my future xp expentitures.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The revised edition of Wrath and Glory should be released sometime next week. It'll be good to see what Cubicle 7 did with the rules.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Wrath and Glory has been updated. Just skimmed it, it's looking like a big improvement so far.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

neaden posted:

Wrath and Glory has been updated. Just skimmed it, it's looking like a big improvement so far.

Extremely easy to imagine. I might pick it up now. Cubicle 7 is doing great things with WFRP 4th, so I will at least get the corebook when it comes out.

Still want my Fall of the Eldar campaign book though.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
They posted a page where you can submit errata as well: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSez6BY4rtRNISDiwMdaDSNfEIs9zOWMDUUPAXGHSlcFZOQLQA/viewform

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Is there a way to not suck at requisition rolls in DH 2E? I want my Mechanicus Detective to get more fun cybers and maybe even craft some stuff.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there a way to not suck at requisition rolls in DH 2E? I want my Mechanicus Detective to get more fun cybers and maybe even craft some stuff.

Slip the gm $5.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're a PC, PCs don't buy, they steal. So go sack a Forgeworld.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Get someone with the Commerce skill to help you (or buy it yourself, it's based on your presumably high Int).

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I had an idea for a "race" of not-daemon warp creatures that are more like muses: when they bond to you they inspire you to greatness.

Not sure yet how to make them grimdark.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Instead of inspiring greatness they sometimes inspire Karamazov-type delusions of greatness?

Or just overwhelming suicidal overconfidence.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The host becomes legitimately great. Of course in 40K the presence of a Great Man of history means a whole lot of people are going to die.
If you ever meet a great person, the lesson of 40K's history is that you should immediately turn and not stop running until you're at least two sectors over.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dune posted:

“No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a Hero”

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
This might be a good starting point

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leanan_s%C3%ADdhe

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Also, do you just want to create something that isn't a "daemon"? I understand completely if so, but it's worth noting this creature could also easily be a daemon of Slaanesh or Tzeentch.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

SardonicTyrant posted:

I had an idea for a "race" of not-daemon warp creatures that are more like muses: when they bond to you they inspire you to greatness.

There's lots of ways to go with that. A couple of ideas off the top of my head:
1. They inspire increasing obsession with the art or activity they inspire, until the person is obsessively practicing/creating and ignoring all other aspects of their life.
2. They feed off of the emotional energy generated by creation, causing a wasting disease that many people gladly suffer in order to be great.
3. The energy they put into humans eventually causes them to burst into fire (a la "Once More With Feeling," bonus points if you can work multiple Buffy references in without your players noticing)
4. Whatever art or activity they inspire becomes increasingly alien and bizarre until it's obvious that it's a doorway into Someplace Else
5. They're actually the random thoughts and whimseys of an Omega-class Psyker who doesn't realize that she's slowly taking over the minds of an entire planet with her doodles
6. They're not grimdark at all inherently - they're purely benevolent - but humans fight over who gets to enslave them

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

SardonicTyrant posted:

Depends on what kind of grimdark you're looking for.

The grimmest darkest version imaginable is to not make them grimdark. There are no hidden drawbacks, they have no horrible side effects, they're even accepted by the Imperium and called angels or saints or whatever.
The grimdark part is that it's not enough. They go above and beyond, they are genuinely heroic...but the forces of history roll on regardless, and the Bell of Lost Souls rings like it has for countless heroes before.

Less grimdark, play up how alien they are. They're completely indiscriminate. Not only do they have no objective definition of 'great', they can't distinguish between, say, a human and an Ork, or an Eldar or Servitor.

Or they have no conception of what limitations are, they can't tell the difference between caution and lack of motivation. They're just cocaine a giant boost of confidence and courage.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
That reminds me of a cat piss copypasta about a trait that a particularly lovely GM turned on its head - Lucky. The original trait meant that a character could potentially succeed in a given scene, despite all odds. The GM, however, decided that there existed a karmic balance, and every time that particular character got Lucky, it meant that the rest of the party suffered some misfortune.

Honestly, it'd be ok if the karmic balance was levelled at NPCs or the world in general, instead of penalizing other players.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

MaliciousOnion posted:

That reminds me of a cat piss copypasta about a trait that a particularly lovely GM turned on its head - Lucky. The original trait meant that a character could potentially succeed in a given scene, despite all odds. The GM, however, decided that there existed a karmic balance, and every time that particular character got Lucky, it meant that the rest of the party suffered some misfortune.

Honestly, it'd be ok if the karmic balance was levelled at NPCs or the world in general, instead of penalizing other players.
I'm almost certain that was John Wick's jackassery, probably from Play Dirty. Someone described the book and its sequel as accidentally instructive on everything to not do as a GM.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Did the revised/updated version of Wrath and Glory come out? I saw a solicit on drivethrurpg but I'm not sure if that is the latest and greatest. Or maybe I am way out of the loop. And is WNG any good? I only know the FF game rpgs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pakxos posted:

Did the revised/updated version of Wrath and Glory come out? I saw a solicit on drivethrurpg but I'm not sure if that is the latest and greatest. Or maybe I am way out of the loop. And is WNG any good? I only know the FF game rpgs.

The PDF is out yes. The editing is still pretty shoddy but apparently easy to handle enough that one of the players in my group is setting up a Rogue Trader campaign in it.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

The PDF is out yes. The editing is still pretty shoddy but apparently easy to handle enough that one of the players in my group is setting up a Rogue Trader campaign in it.

Thanks for reminding me of this. I was someone who pre-ordered when Ulysses originally made it so got the drivethrurpg version, and Cubicle 7 made sure to give the new rules to everyone who had bought it through Ulysses as well. So I just downloaded it from Drivethru.

Giving a quick look it doesn't seem they changed the rules much, at least with character creation and tiers and whatnot. but it is totally laid out differently.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Werix posted:

Giving a quick look it doesn't seem they changed the rules much, at least with character creation and tiers and whatnot. but it is totally laid out differently.

The core mechanics are the same but there are a lot of little changes that add up. For example, there are only three Ranks and so now almost everything that used to add Rank to a roll now adds 2x Rank. Also, Tier no longer caps bonus dice or Attribute/Skill scores and you can now explicitly Ascend to a higher Tier during play.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

Make sure you submit mistakes or possible errors you find. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSez6BY4rtRNISDiwMdaDSNfEIs9zOWMDUUPAXGHSlcFZOQLQA/viewform

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
So Cubicle 7 is doing a Deathwatch RPG humble bundle. The rogue trader one a few months ago was a good deal.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Nice Marines feels topical to this thread.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Could there be a thing where dilettante up-hivers fancying a bit of occultism start worship a thing thinking it's chaos but it ends up being a genestealer thing?

Also, does anyone know of any treatments of Genestealer Cults for DH (or ideally DH2)? It would probably have to be unofficial (the FFG series happened in the long sad interregnum between GW being good and becoming good again where genestealer cults were sort of semi-canonical but background and as far as I know they weren't discussed) but maybe the guy who did the Horus Heresy and Knight and Eastern Rim fannon books also did GSC?

E: The thought occured to me when reading through the Horizon Signal event in Stellaris, only what if that happened the other way around (that is: what if the Worm-in-Waiting was distinctly of this dimension rather than, as in Stellaris, from beyond it, but the posh kids slumming it think they're worshiping Powers From Beyond)?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 5, 2020

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Schadenboner posted:

Could there be a thing where dilettante up-hivers fancying a bit of occultism start worship a thing thinking it's chaos but it ends up being a genestealer thing?

Also, does anyone know of any treatments of Genestealer Cults for DH (or ideally DH2)? It would probably have to be unofficial (the FFG series happened in the long sad interregnum between GW being good and becoming good again where genestealer cults were sort of semi-canonical but background and as far as I know they weren't discussed) but maybe the guy who did the Horus Heresy and Knight and Eastern Rim fannon books also did GSC?

E: The thought occured to me when reading through the Horizon Signal event in Stellaris, only what if that happened the other way around (that is: what if the Worm-in-Waiting was distinctly of this dimension rather than, as in Stellaris, from beyond it, but the posh kids slumming it think they're worshiping Powers From Beyond)?

Totally, though the up giver probably wouldn’t know what chaos is, plenty of GS cults cloak whatever they are preaching in esoteric stuff, so one discussing the dawn of the new gods and the glorious fate that awaits their chosen would work well.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

One thing also to consider is that plenty of up-hivers have gotten into secret societies that were in truth Chaos cults and become corrupted by 'accident'. Depending on what method the GS cult is using to get people interested and vulnerable, and how familiar the cult is with Chaos themselves, there could be the chance of accidentally catching the eye of the Dark Gods nevertheless...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In an old WD there was a genestealer cult that masqueraded as an innocent chaos cult.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
After re-reading a few books it looks like Genestealer Cults were still fully canonical but, because they weren't represented on the table-top, just not really explored in mainline 40k after 2E.

Also, Jericho Reach and Achilus Assault (and to a lesser extent Outer Reach) are really v.deece splats fluffwise which I had mostly ignored due to my total :flaccid:ness about Spess Mehreens and my resulting disinterest in Deathwatch.

The Acheros (Chaos) and Orpheus ('Nid) salients are right next to each-other so there could easily be overlapping GSC and Chaos influences within the same group (not that the foulness of The Archenemy needs physical proximity to work its treasonous magics, but the Stigmartus might be doing some forward insurgency stuff).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dumb question I'm sure but how have people found Wrath & Glory to be so far? Incredibly unbalanced? Good enough? Better than the last series?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

S.J. posted:

Dumb question I'm sure but how have people found Wrath & Glory to be so far? Incredibly unbalanced? Good enough? Better than the last series?

It feels... sparse. Trying to make a core book that covers so many different playstyles leaves it feeling like there's not enough for any one focus, unless you're running mixed groups. It really needs a few expansion books to focus on various play options and expand them.

The rules seem workable enough, although in the game I played, my Tempestus Scion was just completely overshadowed by the psyker, combat-wise.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I ran a tier 2 Inquisition campaign for close to a year and eventually just stopped giving out xp because the dice pools got so insane. My players are... disinterested in the mechanics, largely, but all of them had really powerful characters toward the end.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clanpot Shake posted:

I ran a tier 2 Inquisition campaign for close to a year and eventually just stopped giving out xp because the dice pools got so insane. My players are... disinterested in the mechanics, largely, but all of them had really powerful characters toward the end.

Using the new rules or the old ones?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I’ve been running a campaign since the first edition of the rules came out and the characters were all super competent even before we converted to 1.5. Now they’re absurd mostly due to the changes in Archetype abilities and the removal of bonus dice caps. Our techpriest routinely rolls 20 dice for any Tech test and our Astartes can delete entire mobs every turn.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Soooo... worth picking up the PDF, then? As long as the game is more fundamentally functional than Dark Heresy, etc, I think I'll still enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

S.J. posted:

Soooo... worth picking up the PDF, then? As long as the game is more fundamentally functional than Dark Heresy, etc, I think I'll still enjoy it.

I mean it's physically impossible for something to be less functional than DH.