Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Verviticus posted:

wait, if you dont report it, it doesnt get more people/districts infected?!

nope! I just got three infected that day and no thought web comments that my inaction has caused harm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Verviticus posted:

lmao gently caress

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

This is an important lesson about the game. Sometimes not doing anything is the best option.

I really love how Pathologic 2 specifically dicks over people who try to go for 100% completion. Sure you can still technically do everything, but you will just be making things harder for yourself by doing it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If it involves hanging out with my friend gravel, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems, I'm doing it :colbert:

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
Starting a new playthrough and have a question about that bull you buy: In my 1st playthrough I bought it and heard it talk about a tomb, and told me not to kill, or something along those lines. I understand that this echos Boddho's Murmur's begging for pity after you get the courier's orders, but do you buy the bull just to hear it speak? Or is there more to it? Wondering if I should go through with it a second time if the latter is the case.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There are a number of small, funny, cute dialogues from checking in with it on the intermediate days as well but you saw the main payoff/point. There's nothing else going on with it.

edit: I never tried but maybe you can kill it for some meat? It's not exactly that pricey to begin with so maybe it could pay for itself that way

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Flac posted:

Starting a new playthrough and have a question about that bull you buy: In my 1st playthrough I bought it and heard it talk about a tomb, and told me not to kill, or something along those lines. I understand that this echos Boddho's Murmur's begging for pity after you get the courier's orders, but do you buy the bull just to hear it speak? Or is there more to it? Wondering if I should go through with it a second time if the latter is the case.

200 coins for a bull? Good as free khtanger. Be khara, you are a foolish man, wasting a good bull like this!

The bull talking on day 11 is the only point to it.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

No Mods No Masters posted:

edit: I never tried but maybe you can kill it for some meat? It's not exactly that pricey to begin with so maybe it could pay for itself that way

Good point, hmmm. Wondering if I missed the payoff because my day 11 was frankly a loving unsalvagable mess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Imagining buying Pathologic and not becoming a homeowner and herder asap

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

End of day 6 and I found the sidequest that will save a district at like 11:30pm so I had no chance to actually do it. That district has a whole ton of NPCs in it and now I got like 7 dudes or something in danger that need treatment/attention. I then died twice in similar ways and lost maybe 90 minutes of playtime over the two deaths so I'm real demoralized. I might just jump back to the morning of day 6 and take a different approach.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agent355 posted:

End of day 6 and I found the sidequest that will save a district at like 11:30pm so I had no chance to actually do it. That district has a whole ton of NPCs in it and now I got like 7 dudes or something in danger that need treatment/attention. I then died twice in similar ways and lost maybe 90 minutes of playtime over the two deaths so I'm real demoralized. I might just jump back to the morning of day 6 and take a different approach.

Good news: all those NPCs in danger are just kind of rear end in a top hat background characters as far as Artemy is concerned.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Good news: all those NPCs in danger are just kind of rear end in a top hat background characters as far as Artemy is concerned.

i prioritized the List and burakh's friends but still tried to treat everyone, even anna angel, mainly out of professional responsibility

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah come on, I'm a menkhu. I gotta at least try and save everybody.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

i prioritized the List and burakh's friends but still tried to treat everyone, even anna angel, mainly out of professional responsibility

My first playthrough all three of atremy's friends died :negative:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

My first playthrough all three of atremy's friends died :negative:

to be fair, rubin tries to die with the sort of verve and determination that most people dedicate to living

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

to be fair, rubin tries to die with the sort of verve and determination that most people dedicate to living

"Eh, bad grief is in a sick district. Anna and Peter passed the roll without me helping, who cares."
"Eh, bad grief is sick. I'm sure the last one was a fluke, he'll pull through."

And that's how bad grief died on day 6.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Notkin died first for me, though I ignored the questline to 'find where dude goes at night' and they made it sound like he'll die because of it but he's a jerk so w/e.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is an important lesson about the game. Sometimes not doing anything is the best option.

I really love how Pathologic 2 specifically dicks over people who try to go for 100% completion. Sure you can still technically do everything, but you will just be making things harder for yourself by doing it.

i mean it doesnt make any sense that leaving infected barrels in a district would go over well

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Agent355 posted:

Notkin died first for me, though I ignored the questline to 'find where dude goes at night' and they made it sound like he'll die because of it but he's a jerk so w/e.

...Notkin? or Rubin?

Flac posted:

Good point, hmmm. Wondering if I missed the payoff because my day 11 was frankly a loving unsalvagable mess.

nope, there's no other payoff (besides getting an achievement.) If you heard it talk once, you've seen the outcome of that event. It's sort of just a joke, because 200 coin sounds like a lot on the first day but quickly proves to be next to nothing.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 24, 2020

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Notkin died of plague on day 7, rubin is going to die because I ignored his quest (presumably). I realize I worded that awkwardly, i was trying to say 'these are the two people who have died so far' but it doesn't quite scan.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Notkin died of plague on day 7, rubin is going to die because I ignored his quest (presumably). I realize I worded that awkwardly, i was trying to say 'these are the two people who have died so far' but it doesn't quite scan.

rubin: ignoring his quest is the best way to save him. the kin are shadowing you, so they'll only find his hiding place if you go there to warn him first

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
cowards way out. besides, you can take odongh livers and nobody gives a poo poo

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Verviticus posted:

i mean it doesnt make any sense that leaving infected barrels in a district would go over well

Well, strictly speaking you only find out about the barrel because people already know it's poo poo and undrinkable. It kinda makes sense that bringing the barrel to people too desperate not to drink would have more adverse effects than simply leaving it. As for the Bachelor outcome, that's Dankovsky for you. :v:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Verviticus posted:

cowards way out. besides, you can take odongh livers and nobody gives a poo poo

I never really found a use for healthy organs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

genericnick posted:

You can sell them to the guy in the southwest district, not far from the Tower, for mad skrilla. On day 5 or 6 when really desperate I let a bandit jump me in a remote area, killed him and harvested his organs so I could have money for the next day.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

genericnick posted:

you can use them to brew painkillers. Although I never really needed to do that either.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MiddleOne posted:

Well, strictly speaking you only find out about the barrel because people already know it's poo poo and undrinkable. It kinda makes sense that bringing the barrel to people too desperate not to drink would have more adverse effects than simply leaving it. As for the Bachelor outcome, that's Dankovsky for you. :v:

I really hope that in the Bachelor's run every side quest ends with options to not give a poo poo about it or to get Artemiy to correctly finish it for you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I really hope that in the Bachelor's run every side quest ends with options to not give a poo poo about it or to get Artemiy to correctly finish it for you.

The thing about the original game is that in every campaign, all the other PCs you weren't playing were explicitly playing the worst possible version of themselves, so what's likely to happen in the Bachelor is that Artemy is constantly coming to you with problems to fix for him rather than just doing it properly himself. As Daniil you will be able to actually do these correctly, but when you're playing as Artemy, he's playing the worst version of the Bachelor so he chooses not to.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

you can use them to brew painkillers. Although I never really needed to do that either.

Oh, I know about the possible uses, but at least for me the base tinctures were much scarcer than anything you could brew out of them.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
In my second playthrough I found that tinctures weren't too rare (I had maybe 40-60 in my inventory at any given moment) but rather that I just didn't have any use for the secondary products. I never used morphine outside of a sleep aid and the hospital job, and the ol' walnut marketplace kept me swimming in antibiotics.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

theres no need to use morphine to sleep if you never sleep!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

lara wanted you to deliver a water barrel to her district, but all the barrels you could find would have been infected. there's no good way to resolve this quest if you try to go through with it - delivering an infected barrel infects her district, and raising the issue to dankovsky just motivates his dumb rear end to destroy all the water barrels he can find, clean or dirty. the best solution is to just ignore it, as you did

Oh my god that is loving hilarious. I've lucked out my first time, and decided to not risk it on the second, but now I almost regret this. Dankovsky is like the biggest dumbass in the town of idiots.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm on my second run, the first one fizzled around day 4 before I grasped the powers of being a savescuming Nut King. This time is going much better, around 10AM on day 3.

I probably should start wearing all those clothes.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

https://twitter.com/inuhodo/status/1258494945184428033

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Cross-posted from Disco Elysium

FalconImpala posted:

Well I just picked up Pathologic 2 on this thread's advice and it's blowing my mind. I don't know how I feel about the approach being so esoteric and vague - feels like the poor sales might come from that feeling of being utterly lost - but it's so satisfying as I figure out what's happening each day. It's like a stage adaptation as the narrative framework, as a commentary on fate/agency? The events are real but the theater is also real (inasmuch as anything in a game in real?) I recognized the masks from a Greek Chorus breaking the fourth wall. I'm piecing together bits of the philosophy and language, and feeling pretty accomplished about that (I like how my optional dialogues serve as exposition even when I don't choose them), but there's still so much I don't know. Like why the gently caress the laws of physics are different and no one cares. As a 'mystery' it feels like the backwards version of Disco Elysium, where it was more like a slow detachment. I started off pretty sure I was in France, then maybe a fictionalized country, then I saw Kim's car parked outside and got a little more confused. Then came the thousands of years of world history (then days after that, the Pale...) so I was slowly being reeled away as I was getting more comfortable. Pathologic drops you right into the ocean. I'm not sure whether I like that more or less.

So I'll be making GBS threads out my thoughts here I guess. Just finished Day 2 and I'm constantly starving and out of money, realistic! I might die on Day 3!
I haven't gotten to the plague yet but I like this game as a sociological study. Their method of seeing the world - and their world itself - is a radically different conception and I love learning about it. The economy is based on trust & emotions, sharing your burdens with your community and family? (It's gonna be really funny when the plague hits and that falls apart!) Their spirituality is based on veins (lines?) and connection with the human body; and like how a cathedral is mapped out to resemble a cross, or a Hindu temple resembles a divine body, the Town is built around organs and arteries. I had a conversation with some architect lady about the roads being modeled after veins, and how the spaces we occupy shape our psychology (this is true). I think this also connects into the gameplay; herbs from different soil have different connections to the literal "layers" of the body. And of course the plot, where it seems like the buildings are getting sick.
What's confusing is that it seems like the type of world where spirituality and folk medicine are physical and real (I did just pour blood into a tree) but I keep getting the option to deny it. I also don't seem to believe in clay demons, so who knows where the hell belief ends and reality begins? Not like I have a bible to get up to speed. The Bachelor seems to be purely a man of science (whatever 'science' means here). I'm noticing that I have to ignore my real-world knowledge and try to think along the game's lines- this will probably come up later.

Maybe it'll only make sense on a replay... though it also feels like some things might remain totally unexplained, like the Polyhedron (?!?!). The theater is from a separate reality as the town, but it's also the town's focal point? Real Lynchian. I'm having some difficulty separating what's abstract/metaphorical and what's real. I'd have an easier time detaching if it were all dreamy, like Eraserhead, but it keeps inviting me to apply logic. That's probably the point, but hey I'm new to literary examination.

This is all premature as I'm only 2 days in, so for better or worse, I'm totally unqualified to be talking. I feel great every time I remember the language, or make a connection on my own (I'm learning the Lines, aren't I :) ), but as I said earlier, maybe this game's esoteric approach is its downfall? I'll have to decide after getting to the end, but the specific theater knowledge needed to recognize the Greek chorus is a big one. It's not like art should cater to my dumb rear end so nothing goes over my head... but the first day is so overwhelming, maybe it turns people off. I'm just upset there might not be enough funding to make the rest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FalconImpala posted:

Maybe it'll only make sense on a replay... though it also feels like some things might remain totally unexplained, like the Polyhedron (?!?!).

The Polyhedron loves everyone. But it's ever unrequited.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Day 11:

I found the corpses of 2 out of 3 of the couriers but I only did the surgery right for the guy in the bar. Did I miss something? I'm "lucky" to have a do-over since the soldiers shot me to death in the area behind the cathedral but is there something I should be doing after going to the three marked locations other than wander around town?

Anyway I'm super exhausted and starving all the time now and this is making me want to do a 2nd playthrough at some point to see if I can handle things better once I finish this first one.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

hostess with the Moltres posted:

Day 11:

I found the corpses of 2 out of 3 of the couriers but I only did the surgery right for the guy in the bar. Did I miss something? I'm "lucky" to have a do-over since the soldiers shot me to death in the area behind the cathedral but is there something I should be doing after going to the three marked locations other than wander around town?

Anyway I'm super exhausted and starving all the time now and this is making me want to do a 2nd playthrough at some point to see if I can handle things better once I finish this first one.

Well, where would a wounded courier go if he needed help?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

FalconImpala posted:

Cross-posted from Disco Elysium

So I'll be making GBS threads out my thoughts here I guess. Just finished Day 2 and I'm constantly starving and out of money, realistic! I might die on Day 3!
I haven't gotten to the plague yet but I like this game as a sociological study. Their method of seeing the world - and their world itself - is a radically different conception and I love learning about it. The economy is based on trust & emotions, sharing your burdens with your community and family? (It's gonna be really funny when the plague hits and that falls apart!) Their spirituality is based on veins (lines?) and connection with the human body; and like how a cathedral is mapped out to resemble a cross, or a Hindu temple resembles a divine body, the Town is built around organs and arteries. I had a conversation with some architect lady about the roads being modeled after veins, and how the spaces we occupy shape our psychology (this is true). I think this also connects into the gameplay; herbs from different soil have different connections to the literal "layers" of the body. And of course the plot, where it seems like the buildings are getting sick.
What's confusing is that it seems like the type of world where spirituality and folk medicine are physical and real (I did just pour blood into a tree) but I keep getting the option to deny it. I also don't seem to believe in clay demons, so who knows where the hell belief ends and reality begins? Not like I have a bible to get up to speed. The Bachelor seems to be purely a man of science (whatever 'science' means here). I'm noticing that I have to ignore my real-world knowledge and try to think along the game's lines- this will probably come up later.

Maybe it'll only make sense on a replay... though it also feels like some things might remain totally unexplained, like the Polyhedron (?!?!). The theater is from a separate reality as the town, but it's also the town's focal point? Real Lynchian. I'm having some difficulty separating what's abstract/metaphorical and what's real. I'd have an easier time detaching if it were all dreamy, like Eraserhead, but it keeps inviting me to apply logic. That's probably the point, but hey I'm new to literary examination.

This is all premature as I'm only 2 days in, so for better or worse, I'm totally unqualified to be talking. I feel great every time I remember the language, or make a connection on my own (I'm learning the Lines, aren't I :) ), but as I said earlier, maybe this game's esoteric approach is its downfall? I'll have to decide after getting to the end, but the specific theater knowledge needed to recognize the Greek chorus is a big one. It's not like art should cater to my dumb rear end so nothing goes over my head... but the first day is so overwhelming, maybe it turns people off. I'm just upset there might not be enough funding to make the rest.

I just want to say that if you're really interested in the thematic elements and don't know anything about the game, try to avoid spoilers until you've finished it. The game does a lot of interesting things with the themes it plays with and since it's based on a pretty old game which had essentially the same story, sometimes people can be a bit cavalier with spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

How poo poo is the PS4 version of this game?