Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer
That is the idea behind flattening the curve, yes! We will all get it, but over a longer period of time, hence the term.

"Flattening the curve" does not mean eradication of the virus! In fact, it can't be eradicated. We have eradicated exactly one virus affecting humans, and one more that affects cows, and neither had peak transmission during the pre-symptomatic / mildly symptomatic phase of the disease. Oh and we used vaccines in fact they were developed for this purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

FieryBalrog posted:

Our ancestors created a fully functional economy and society, while smallpox raged killing 30% of the people it infected

Meanwhile, we are hiding in small cubes from a virus that kills 80 year old crones and the occasional younger fellow with uncontrollable leukemia

All hail advanced societies

It's unironically pretty cool that we have developed to the point where we can put this value on life. The population growth rate was about 0.1% for most of human history, and it wasn't because the birth rate was low.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

FieryBalrog posted:

That is the idea behind flattening the curve, yes! We will all get it, but over a longer period of time, hence the term.

"Flattening the curve" does not mean eradication of the virus! In fact, it can't be eradicated. We have eradicated exactly one virus affecting humans, and one more that affects cows, and neither had peak transmission during the pre-symptomatic / mildly symptomatic phase of the disease. Oh and we used vaccines in fact they were developed for this purpose

who are you talking to? those were joke posts

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

While that is an interesting link I don't think it really addresses any actual criticism made of your initial arguments.

We do put value on the lives of old people, the link is a method used in public health of quantifying that value.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
we've actually eradicated two diseases, small pox being the most well known but also rinderpest in 2011.

the effort to eradicate rinderpest took patience, time, and cooperative efforts from around the world over that time.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We want to avoid hospitals getting overwhelmed, yes? Step-wise re-openings with localized quarantines used as needed, with local hospital capacity used as the barometer.

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The elderly mother of a friend of mine was in hospital with a life threatening condition with a pretty bad prognosis but a few weeks back all the hospitals in the area went into strict lockdown because of the virus and the doctors gave the family a choice: they could keep treating her condition but the family wouldn't get to see her at all (and she probably didn't have long anyway) or they could take her off dialysis and let her slowly die but the family would at least get to spend a little time with her. They chose to move her into palliative care so they could visit. Conditions are still really strict about how many people can visit her each day though, and most days my friend doesn't get to visit her mother at all. A few times she's snuck in so she can stand in the hallway and speak to her mother through the door.

Inter-state travel is closed down here in Australia and some of the family couldn't get there in time and won't get to see her at all. Also my friend's SO is stuck in another state so they're having to deal with all this while they separated because of the lockdown.

Sorry to hear that but it's good that your friend's family is getting to see her at least a bit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FieryBalrog posted:

And I'm OK with that! Probably should be up to individual people, for the most part. People who want to stay home will stay home; they can't get it from the rest of us, if they don't go out

Living every day is a real roll of the dice, for us human beings
"Help my husband is acting confused and has shooting pains in his arm"
"Sorry our beds are all full of minimum wage workers who were forced back to work by some guy who really wanted McDonalds, and also the guy who really wanted McDonalds"

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

We want to avoid hospitals getting overwhelmed, yes? Step-wise re-openings with localized quarantines used as needed, with local hospital capacity used as the barometer.

That's pretty much the Australian plan, along with ever increasing testing.

Flu cases are down on this time last year and flu immunisations are up but our hospital capacity could become stretched if this turns out to be another bad flu season.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Apr 24, 2020

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

"Help my husband is acting confused and has shooting pains in his arm"
"Sorry our beds are all full of minimum wage workers who were forced back to work by some guy who really wanted McDonalds, and also the guy who really wanted McDonalds"

Funny story, hospitals across the US are at record low capacities, and things like cancer treatments and "elective" surgeries like ACL repair and hip replacements, are postponed

e.g. This Week in Virology podcast ep 603 (09:00), talks about how more people are showing up with ruptured appendices because they aren't coming to the hospital at the first signs of the problem, when it can still be operated on to prevent the rupture

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
FieryBalrog wheezing around the respirator as he's wheeled into the ambulance: "No I chose to go out, leave me to die, I'm OK with this. It was... personal responsibility..."

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
you have spent too long inside listening to podcasts and huffing your puppy's farts along with your own

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StrangersInTheNight posted:

you have spent too long inside listening to podcasts and huffing your puppy's farts along with your own
I know this is directed at FB but :same:

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer
We better not make fun of this lockdown because :arghfist: young people :arghfist: are so :arghfist: irresponsible :arghfist: they can't handle facts about the disease.

We need to make sure they are afraid of dying :angel:

We can't discuss trade-offs or anything because that's dangerous when we need a united front on this effort.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
facts from podcasts

podfacts

and wiki links

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

facts from podcasts

podfacts

and wiki links

Also, my shrine to Dr. Fauci

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lolie posted:

That's pretty much the Australian plan, along with ever increasing testing.

Flu cases are down on this time last year and flu immunisations are up but our hospital capacity could become stretched if this turns out to be another bad flu season.

Testing is so fucky right now I think hospital capacity is the most useful indicator at this time. Less room for numbers massaging too. A rapid, highly reliable test could definitely help though

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think decisions regarding a public health crisis should be up to individual people - a smart person who definitely has ideas with listening to

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Am I being intubated !?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think vaccinations should be the parent's choice - FieryBalrog, probably

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I will too pass - FieryBalrog

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Doctors believe covid 19 can be transmitted by farts
<picture of FieryBalrog's posts>

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer

quote:

I'm sure it was all worth it! I mean it better be! It has to be, right!?

Everyone can't be wrong at the same time! Except Sweden, they were wrong, not many Swedes are left alive due to their irresponsible and reckless talk of not-locking-down-but-still-practice-some-social-distancing-while-waiting-for-herd-immunity

We can see how Stockholm turned into the ghost town of today

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If people don't want to get run over by drunk drivers they should just stay home - FieryBalrog, slurred and rapidly dopplering

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
^^^can you take it to cspam or something.

FieryBalrog
Apr 7, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Anders Tegnell, Sweden's state epidemiologist, told the BBC that the measures taken had been effective in stopping the country's health system from being overwhelmed by coronavirus patients.

He said the virus spreading through the population has allowed some immunity to build up among the population.
And he said that around 15% to 20% of people in Stockholm, the country's capital, have reached a level of immunity, that would "slow down the spread" of a second wave of the virus, something experts worldwide warning could be coming.
"At least 50% of our death toll is within the elderly homes and we have a hard time understanding how a lockdown would stop the introduction of the disease into the elderly homes," he said.

Bad words from a Nordic neo-Nazi

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

FieryBalrog posted:

And I'm OK with that! Probably should be up to individual people, for the most part. People who want to stay home will stay home; they can't get it from the rest of us, if they don't go out

Except it won’t really be up to the individual people it will be up to their employers and you don’t get unemployment if you quit.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Those old people dying in their nursing homes demonstrate that you can just stay inside if you don't want the roni.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
My mom is a 57-year-old nurse who just spent two weeks hooked up to a ventilator, and there are healthcare workers hella younger than her also being affected by it just as bad or worse. It's super callous to dismiss it as "Oh it's just old people and sick people that are dying". An old guy at my work said the same thing and when I snapped at him because I've loving heard enough he asked if she had health conditions before and I said no then he sort of nodded to himself and said well cuz she's a nurse she was exposed to more of it that's why. Because that makes it okay I guess! Anyways like I said he's loving old and wasn't wearing a mask like the rest of us so I hope he can console himself when he gets sick that only old people and sick people are dying.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Humans went from rural agrarians to jetpack-clad penicillin-chompers too fast, now man must pay for this advancement in the blood of GameStop employees.

Or we could just... not open the least essential store I can think of, who really needs Funko Pops in this trying time

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 24, 2020

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Can this get posted on every page that mentions how this is really only a problem for old folks?

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1252051459610480642

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Younger people also get hospitalized at a pretty high rate, they just have much lower chance of actually dying from it.

we have no idea if those people end up having permanently hosed up lungs or something

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
once trump has the federal guidelines lifted, everyone will be able to go back to doing whatever they want so it's kind of pointless arguing about it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ultraviolet ear/nose/throat lamps on amazon.com are already selling out
https://www.amazon.com/Quartz-Bactericidal-Ultraviolet-Irradiation-Treatment/dp/B07MFR4QF8

This one looks like it's just regular LEDs but it's also sold out
https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Gadgets-Bionase-Nasal-Applicator/dp/B000KESNGE

They're all out of NOSE LASERS as well.
https://www.amazon.com.au/HailiCare-Anti-allergy-Anti-snore-Apparatus-Phototherapy/dp/B00WDYH9KU

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Fabulousity posted:

The Gathering of the Juggalos got cancelled due to Corona virus. This is finally getting real :ohdear:

Which is ridiculous because there are far worse communicable diseases going around every year at the Gathering.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

good thing there's plenty of bleach left

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Zoom fatigue is the latest hot topic, giant faces staring at you and there's no escape because where the gently caress are you going to go, get back to work/happy hour!

If your job is making you panopticonify your wfh life, there are ways around it; just wear a mask and sunglasses. Most of the fatigue comes from having to physically and mentally control your face for far longer than you would if you were physically there (no one ever looks away / can't disengage).

If people complain, cite safety reasons (can never be too sure) and migraines for the sunglasses (increased screen view time will do that you know wink wink). Now you can get away with looking elsewhere on your screen and rolling your eyes during the next useless push strap meeting or whatever lovely termed middle management wankfest your forced to zoom into.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hawaiian shirts are the latest thing the alt-right has co-opted, along with Pepe and the OK hand signal

They show that the protestor is prepared for the upcoming race war AKA the second civil war which they started calling the Boogaloo, which got changed to the Big Igloo, which got changed to the Big Luau. It's a white supremacy "I'm ready to start shooting black people" thing.

I bet the Parrotheads are loving livid.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BlackIronHeart posted:

Can this get posted on every page that mentions how this is really only a problem for old folks?

https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1252051459610480642

I’m not sure guys like Feiry Balrog are going to care about this particular example for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tired: Milkshaking

Wired: Margaritaing