Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Don't they have to give you warning about that? I am not sure they can "just pull you off furlough"?

I'm getting the full amount just at the end of each month as usual. Not having to use holiday or anything else yet.
As I understand it furlough is supposed to be in blocks of 3 weeks minimum and then they can pull you off of it.

If they pull you off before that then the government won't pay the 80% so they become responsible for paying you 100% of your wages for the period.

They could pressure you to use annual leave for some of those days in that event, but that would be what's known in employment law as a dick move.

e: 2006 - Charles Kennedy resigns as leader of the Lib Dems to focus on passing the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Don't they have to give you warning about that? I am not sure they can "just pull you off furlough"?

I'm getting the full amount just at the end of each month as usual. Not having to use holiday or anything else yet.

There is a notice period and also they need for you to have been furloughed for a minimum of 3 weeks to be due the money from the Government.

I feel like a doofus by using most of my holiday so that I get a full month pay this month having been furloughed in mid April.

I should have just survived on 80% pay so they would need to pay me my holiday when I likely get made redundant in June.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I think as long as they don't attempt to claim it from HMG and instead just make up the "furlough" pay themselves then it's fine.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm more just worried that we are 1) Very much at the bottom of the pile for when it comes to reopening and 2) We are probably going to close again the second the next big spike of Covid cases take hold.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Another point to consider RE- furloughing. Restaurants/Clubs/Bars will more than likely remain closed for longer than other businesses, and be subject to strict operating guidelines eg I've seen talk of capacities locked at ~30%, Strict social distancing required, not to mention I'd hazard a guess that most of the public save for the "give me freedom or give me covid" crowd will be wary of restaurants/pubs/clubs for the foreseeable future. Unless there is an extension of the furlough scheme past June I'd anticipate a huge uptick in layoffs/redundancies.

*edit* My workplace had already cut opening hours, cut daily staff from 18 down to *5*, was offering Holiday hours to all staff, 3 weeks before lockdown

Melissa McCarthyism fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 24, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think there is going to have to be an increase to the Furlough scheme. Because I think that the Tories don't have the same willingness to lead people off a cliff as the Republicans do.

The more I think about it, the more the Tories just seem like they rule only by "what is less likely to get me shouted at" rather than trying to do anything. I think it's a pathology that might have quite a rich strain inside of our political and social spheres.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Can anyone really imagine a nightclub functioning at 30% capacity with nobody physically interacting? Might be perfect for goons but I doubt it's a viable business model

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I think there is going to have to be an increase to the Furlough scheme. Because I think that the Tories don't have the same willingness to lead people off a cliff as the Republicans do.

The more I think about it, the more the Tories just seem like they rule only by "what is less likely to get me shouted at" rather than trying to do anything. I think it's a pathology that might have quite a rich strain inside of our political and social spheres.

Both factions (the lazy cowards and the wild-eyed psychos) have significant representation in the Tory leadership, and they're currently having an intense civil war. From last weekend's Sunday Times:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
E: not interesting or relevant

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 24, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Josef bugman posted:

i think thats partly true but i also think the one thing that can not happen is not megadeath, the one thing that can not happen is a thawing of neoliberalism.
its very very key that essential workers on minimum wage are not paid appropriately, for example. labour power must not get stronger at all costs.
its also very key that there isn't major rent or debt relief or any kind of restructuring to a more equitable society

i think because of this the government will basically refuse to do many of the things that need to be done. it will kill many more and crash the economy but thats not what's important to them

and theres bipartisan support for this, its not just the tories, the media too and pretty much now labour. getting rid of any kind of visible alternative was the purpose of killing corbynism

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Josef bugman posted:

You have heard of this little thing called "Brexit", right? The Tories differ from the GOP only in that they won't do something that will make them die. They're entirely happy for you to die.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can anyone really imagine a nightclub functioning at 30% capacity with nobody physically interacting? Might be perfect for goons but I doubt it's a viable business model

sounds perfect, ngl

Communist Thoughts posted:

i think thats partly true but i also think the one thing that can not happen is not megadeath, the one thing that can not happen is a thawing of neoliberalism.
its very very key that essential workers on minimum wage are not paid appropriately, for example. labour power must not get stronger at all costs.
its also very key that there isn't major rent or debt relief or any kind of restructuring to a more equitable society

i think because of this the government will basically refuse to do many of the things that need to be done. it will kill many more and crash the economy but thats not what's important to them

and theres bipartisan support for this, its not just the tories, the media too and pretty much now labour. getting rid of any kind of visible alternative was the purpose of killing corbynism

'stamping out all viable alternatives' is actually an interesting angle and one I think might work on people not necessarily sympathetic to leftism ('cause they associate it with THE BINS)

cheers for that

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barry Foster posted:

sounds perfect, ngl

'stamping out all viable alternatives' is actually an interesting angle and one I think might work on people not necessarily sympathetic to leftism ('cause they associate it with THE BINS)

cheers for that

poo poo I've been telling people they should vote left because the bins get taken out too frequently under neoliberalism I need to change tack

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

You have heard of this little thing called "Brexit", right? The Tories differ from the GOP only in that they won't do something that will make them die. They're entirely happy for you to die.

Yes but that is, once again, lead by other folks. Oh it is buttressed by idiot tories intent on Grate Britaine but that is driven by (their version of) the popular will.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Any furloughed staff here? My employer has just sent us all information about our upcoming pay and I'm curious if anyone else has received similar correspondence.

This is more or less my deal - I work part-time and my hours changed each quarter, so I'm receiving an average from the last 12 months (then they're topping it up), and just had an email saying that they're going to extend it for a month and review it as we go on. I'd say they are a good employer and I'm using my furloughed time to write up a wee pitch document about how I can do my job remotely should it come down to 'ah get t'gently caress' and I'll be like 'ah but, however!'

Failed Imagineer posted:

In a year from now the worlds favourite pass-time will be a mix of a Boiler Room set and Habbo hotel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXQi77eOdEY

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Four Tet is so loving good. I also really enjoy Jamie xx's sets

and Bonobo

I will say that I am getting back into music a lot more now that I'm grounded. When you run out of other distractions and realise you're stuck for the long term music can be pretty immersive

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Failed Imagineer posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can still do all of that you just have to wear SCBA while you do it.

So presumably the latex clubs will do quite well out of the arrangement.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gimps in gas masks is gonna be a thing I guess

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh and a buttplug so you don't fart out the corona.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cybergoth nite erry nite.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4eav7dFvc8

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Gimps in gas masks is gonna be a thing I guess

You saying it's not already a thing?

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Jippa posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52394485

The first human trial in Europe of a coronavirus vaccine has begun in Oxford.

Two volunteers were injected, the first of more than 800 people recruited for the study.

Half will receive the Covid-19 vaccine, and half a control vaccine which protects against meningitis but not coronavirus.

The design of the trial means volunteers will not know which vaccine they are getting, though doctors will.

Elisa Granato, one of the two who received the jab, told the BBC: "I'm a scientist, so I wanted to try to support the scientific process wherever I can."

The vaccine was developed in under three months by a team at Oxford University. Sarah Gilbert, professor of vaccinology at the Jenner Institute, led the pre-clinical research.

"Personally I have a high degree of confidence in this vaccine," she said.

"Of course, we have to test it and get data from humans. We have to demonstrate it actually works and stops people getting infected with coronavirus before using the vaccine in the wider population."

Prof Gilbert previously said she was "80% confident" the vaccine would work, but now prefers not to put a figure on it, saying simply she is "very optimistic" about its chances.

These are the brave motherfuckers who should be getting applauded if anyone. Volunteering to be one of the guinea pigs for a new vaccine is up there with the selfless acts you can choose.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

How much is everyone managing to survive on in terms of money spent on food?

I've worked out that even with beer money I can usually do about 10 days on 50 pounds.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MENnewsdesk/status/1253626878302261248

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I've worked out that even with beer money I can usually do about 10 days on 50 pounds.

£50 every 10 days is about my current rate for beer only.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

£5 a day with beer included seems pretty good. You could probably get it lower if you really wanted to but if you hate cooking then it's probably gonna be miserable.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Josef bugman posted:

Probably spending a bit more than usual because I've been getting more from the local shop rather than travelling to supermarkets. It's more than balanced out by not buying food at work every day.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just finished my phone contract with EE who are a bag of poo poo, who are worth looking into? The gf recommends O2?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I was spending about £10 a day at the co-op near me as there's no other shops, but its getting ridiculous. I'd try to get a few bits then think I should buy more as I'm at the shop then the whole thing is just getting silly. It's a 5 mile walk to the nearest other shop (Lidl) so I'm going to start doing that weekly instead. Before the lockdown I was spending about half that, maybe less.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Just finished my phone contract with EE who are a bag of poo poo, who are worth looking into? The gf recommends O2?

giffgaff

ffs

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Algol Star posted:

These are the brave motherfuckers who should be getting applauded if anyone. Volunteering to be one of the guinea pigs for a new vaccine is up there with the selfless acts you can choose.

Normal rates too. MEU in Manchester is doing a Covid-19 trial, £3k for screening, 10 night residential and a follow up visit.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Flipswitch posted:

Giffgaff have been good for me but I've been told by a reliable source (a stranger in a beer garden several years ago) that they're actually run by the police

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

You saying it's not already a thing?

By thing, I meant like a mainstream trend.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Soylent Yellow posted:

Probably spending a bit more than usual because I've been getting more from the local shop rather than travelling to supermarkets. It's more than balanced out by not buying food at work every day.

Same, but I’ve also noticed that some of the local small supermarkets have a limited selection of stuff, which COINCIDENTALLY is limited to the premium stuff. Tesco finest rather than value etc. I’m sure that’s not intentional at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

Between not eating out/pubbing, and doing a lot more actual cooking rather than relying on ready meals, I've saved almost 300 quid over the past month which is... startling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still like having my budget cooking advice yelled at me by a russian man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKfmRhfuI8g&t=46s

(the pile of potato and veg in a skillet with egg and cheese on actually looks really good)

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm spending a little over £20 a week for food and household essentials

Same as before corona because lol universal credit

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Didn't happen.