Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Connection cop sounds like it's be fun as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xopods posted:

Also in general, roles that establish someone as "definitely/almost certainly Town" or "possibly Scum" are better than ones that do "probably Town" or "definitely Scum." Because playing an amazing scum game but getting caught by night actions sucks, but being confirmed Town is the most fun thing that can happen to you in a game of Mafia. (Well, for me anyway.)

This is basically the core of why baseline cops are bad and should be replaced with a tracker or equivalent.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
2 spots left!

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Tommu posted:

Connection cop sounds like it's be fun as gently caress

Yeah, the only reason I don't use it more often is that I also tend to use a lot of roles in the Tracker/Watcher spectrum. So, roles that target multiple people like a Connection Cop can make it hard to balance the setup and avoid weird/ambiguous interactions with those types of roles. But aside from that it works out very well.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

How about a cop that has a 50/50 chance of killing whoever they investigate?

If the dead target was town they plant evidence and the flip says scum.

Let's add a little realism to the game

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

Must-include for any future "bastard" setups.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Oh cool more of this

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I was looking back trying to remember what setups I used what roles in and now I'm LOLing at the setup from A Scandal at the Gnomish Patent Office, the biggest game I ever ran. Too many weird roles to explain them all in one post, but I'll just list the names and if anyone's curious, the setup's here.

• Recruiting DNA Investigator
  • Blackmailer
  • Stealthy Interaction Cop
  • Ambulance Driver
  • Lynch-Enabled Brutal Tracker
  • One-Shot Super-Commuter
  • Actionproof Passive Interviewer
  • Skittish Fullcop
  • Day Medium/Double Voter
  • Delayed Passive Roleblocker
  • Recruiting Doctor
  • Roleblocker (real crazy that one)
  • Miller Distributor
  • Tracker-Confuser
  • Delayer
  • Bulletproof Brutal Union Cop
  • Saboteur
  • Vengeful Gun Owner/Lynchbomb
  • Chameleon
  • Trust-Enabled Dayvig
  • Partial Nexus
  • Kidnapper-Flavorcop/One-Shot Janitor
  • One-Shot Smoke-Bomber/One-Shot Booby-Trapper

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I think I was the brutal union cop (I might be completely wrong). As I was both anti union and a cop, I should have just self voted

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Jose Valasquez posted:

what if you had a team of COPs

who were actually VIGs?

horribly cliched idea. unbelievably bad. Anybody who would run such a game is a trash tier mod.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

xopods posted:

This one was mine. I blew myself up N1 by setting a booby trap that was triggered as soon as I set it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

No Mafia, just killer cops and and survivors

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I was once unkillable confirmed town. It was the greatest game of my life.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I think every game of mafia should have CCKeane be a stump. It just makes the game better.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
One time I made Infinitum unkillable. No one should be unkillable I think

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

xopods posted:

I try to design my setups so there's at least a decent chance something like that happens. That and/or a few roles that don't necessarily produce confusing results, but interact in such a way that something crazy could happen but usually won't. That way people don't expect too much night action madness from my games, but it's always there as a possibility, and in those rare games that the perfect storm does occur, it makes for a memorable experience.

I really enjoyed reading your Corona Outbreak game recently. Like two crazy nights that really threw people. That and Yami's crazy hidden role game were really what inspired me to do my WhatsApp game .

Speaking of, my game has started and people are really getting into it. All newbies with like 2 of them who have heard of or played similar types of game. All IRL friends from different groups including my sister. A bit worried about a few of them who live together but I've told them to be careful with their phones.

I'm adding an extra person after the first night. They will be a One-Shot Roleblocker. I'm also going to have them tell the players either how many town or how many scum there are when they join; this is just because the players don't really have a basis for how many scum there are going to be. I don't want to give away the 3P though.

Edit: Been reading up on masons/masonry and I now understand my mason recruiter is building an unconfirmed masonry.

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 24, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

I was once unkillable confirmed town. It was the greatest game of my life.
I was unkillable scum in a game once, maybe the same one?

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

Kashuno posted:

I think the bigger problem is infinitums posting

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Wafflecop posted:

I really enjoyed reading your Corona Outbreak game recently. Like two crazy nights that really threw people. That and Yami's crazy hidden role game were really what inspired me to do my WhatsApp game .

If you feel like playing in a game, I'll be starting one soon, probably over the weekend.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I have a mini ready to go too, I'll probably launch it once xopod's game is in D2 or so.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

xopods posted:

I was looking back trying to remember what setups I used what roles in and now I'm LOLing at the setup from A Scandal at the Gnomish Patent Office, the biggest game I ever ran. Too many weird roles to explain them all in one post, but I'll just list the names and if anyone's curious, the setup's here.

• Recruiting DNA Investigator
  • Blackmailer
  • Stealthy Interaction Cop
  • Ambulance Driver
  • Lynch-Enabled Brutal Tracker
  • One-Shot Super-Commuter
  • Actionproof Passive Interviewer
  • Skittish Fullcop
  • Day Medium/Double Voter
  • Delayed Passive Roleblocker
  • Recruiting Doctor
  • Roleblocker (real crazy that one)
  • Miller Distributor
  • Tracker-Confuser
  • Delayer
  • Bulletproof Brutal Union Cop
  • Saboteur
  • Vengeful Gun Owner/Lynchbomb
  • Chameleon
  • Trust-Enabled Dayvig
  • Partial Nexus
  • Kidnapper-Flavorcop/One-Shot Janitor

Scum played well in this game.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

Scum played well in this game.

Especially me, blowing myself up with two others N1.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

George Kansas posted:

I think every game of mafia should have CCKeane be a stump. It just makes the game better.

Agreed.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Lumpen made a game where I was the only scum and a “puppet master.” I saw every night action and could give whatever result I wanted. The game was ten players or something and I won.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kashuno posted:

unkillable nep-nep that was listed as a spectator was a correct and righteous thing, actually

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Grandicap posted:

Especially me, blowing myself up with two others N1.

Okay , well, merk and FV played well.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

merk posted:

Lumpen made a game where I was the only scum and a “puppet master.” I saw every night action and could give whatever result I wanted. The game was ten players or something and I won.

I love this.

I love a thing Lumpen did.

gently caress.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Wafflecop posted:

Speaking of, my game has started and people are really getting into it. All newbies with like 2 of them who have heard of or played similar types of game. All IRL friends from different groups including my sister. A bit worried about a few of them who live together but I've told them to be careful with their phones.

I'm adding an extra person after the first night. They will be a One-Shot Roleblocker. I'm also going to have them tell the players either how many town or how many scum there are when they join; this is just because the players don't really have a basis for how many scum there are going to be. I don't want to give away the 3P though.

Edit: Been reading up on masons/masonry and I now understand my mason recruiter is building an unconfirmed masonry.

Glad to hear that my nonsensical games inspire people. :)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

CapitalistPig posted:

I love this.

gently caress.

stopped clocks occasionally find nuts, yes

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

CapitalistPig posted:

I love this.

gently caress.
I can't take credit because I have no idea what game merk is referring to. I think he's misremembering.

The only games I have ever moderated were Instant Runoff (aka LumpenList), Dangerous Ground (gay detective audiobook mafia), Slack Mafia (all-vanilla), Slack Mafia 2 (nailbiter), and Yobomakeanos Mafia...

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Lumpen posted:

I can't take credit because I have no idea what game merk is referring to. I think he's misremembering.

The only games I have ever moderated were Instant Runoff (aka LumpenList), Dangerous Ground (gay detective audiobook mafia), Slack Mafia (all-vanilla), Slack Mafia 2 (nailbiter), and Yobomakeanos Mafia...

whew that was a close one.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

whew that was a close one.

It's okay, I had your back. If it had actually been a Lumpen game I would have pointed out that the setup was probably designed by Lumpen to make a point about how power roles are bad, actually, and everyone should just play all-Vanilla games so that night actions don't distract them from their reads.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Wasn't there once a large Ecco game where merk was the "zombie master" and needed to be voted out for Town to win, but was not EVEN ON THE PLAYER ROSTER and never posted in the thread during the game? I can't find the game but it seemed like a big troll at the time and maybe merk is remembering that one.

That might have been Pander not merk in that game though...

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Lumpen posted:

Wasn't there once a large Ecco game where merk was the "zombie master" and needed to be voted out for Town to win, but was not EVEN ON THE PLAYER ROSTER and never posted in the thread during the game? I can't find the game but it seemed like a big troll at the time and maybe merk is remembering that one.

Now that you mention it, I think it was Ecco that ran this game? I was definitely a player in the game though.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
There was an eccogame where merk was a pro-town cult leader who had to be killed before any of the cult recruiters could be killed, but obviously his identity was a secret.

I was scum in that game and for whatever reason every town just believed without question that the cult that said they were pro-town were actually pro-town, so scum didn't have a chance.

Yes, I'm still salty about that one.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

xopods posted:

It's okay, I had your back. If it had actually been a Lumpen game I would have pointed out that the setup was probably designed by Lumpen to make a point about how power roles are bad, actually, and everyone should just play all-Vanilla games so that night actions don't distract them from their reads.

This would be a game I would run.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Asiina posted:

There was an eccogame where merk was a pro-town cult leader who had to be killed before any of the cult recruiters could be killed, but obviously his identity was a secret.

I was scum in that game and for whatever reason every town just believed without question that the cult that said they were pro-town were actually pro-town, so scum didn't have a chance.

Yes, I'm still salty about that one.

Should have told the town that the scum team was pro town

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

Lumpen posted:

I vaguely remember the zombie ecco game where people came back to life the day after they were killed as zombies.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Amnistar posted:

I vaguely remember the zombie ecco game where people came back to life the day after they were killed as zombies.

Ecco also ran a 70-person game with zombies on Halloween a few years back.

Ecco has ran some of the best games. Always willing to experiment and iterate on mafia in a fun way.

edit: My favorite Ecco thing was the setup where he had two seemingly independent games going at once. At some point, a great flood occurs where the two games merged together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Looking back through the list of Ecco games, I gotta say, much respect to a true artist and innovator of Maria setup design. The big game queue is still a bad idea, but Ecco, a treasure.