Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

algebra testes posted:

Is Bear Pope or King Hiros running the 24hrs this weekend?

Yeah, we have a few people signed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
So I rage-quit the game for the first time last night. While hot-lapping alone.

I was super excited to see that the Fanatec Global series was a Mid Ohio this week (my IRL home track). I wanted to run it in the Kia but it seems everyone is doing the CTS and I didn't want to be alone in my class. Ran a bunch of practice laps in the CTS. After some initial frustration I found that "slow in, fast out" really rings true with that car. The very first lap I did this I exaggerated the slowness through the corners and managed my fastest lap - a 1:26.1

Somehow after that I couldn't even come close. I was lucky to get into the 26's for the first few laps then couldn't break 27 for almost 20 laps. Are there any tips I should know for that car?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

speedtek posted:

So I rage-quit the game for the first time last night. While hot-lapping alone.

I was super excited to see that the Fanatec Global series was a Mid Ohio this week (my IRL home track). I wanted to run it in the Kia but it seems everyone is doing the CTS and I didn't want to be alone in my class. Ran a bunch of practice laps in the CTS. After some initial frustration I found that "slow in, fast out" really rings true with that car. The very first lap I did this I exaggerated the slowness through the corners and managed my fastest lap - a 1:26.1

Somehow after that I couldn't even come close. I was lucky to get into the 26's for the first few laps then couldn't break 27 for almost 20 laps. Are there any tips I should know for that car?

Everytime I hit a wall with laptimes on a particular car/circuit I quit for 24 hours and come back. I can't really lend advice to that particular car but that has helped me in general.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Can cars lose power from damage? Someone lightly rear-ended me (not hard enough to get any incident points or a meatball) at the beginning of the race, and for the entire race, I had a noticeably lower top speed and was ~5 seconds a lap slower. People were passing me going 20mph above me on long straights. What's up with that?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Edit: ^^^^ What car? Some are very, very sensitive to aero damage.

Guess I'm a weird one, I race(d) a lot of oval in real life and always wanted iracing for the sportscars, which I love more than oval.

Joined...and I can't feel poo poo with the brakes, so road is out for me until I get loadcells or a huge chunk of time to practice I guess. So I'm running oval, and honestly love it. I'm doing this season in street stocks, and will probably move up to ARCA next season just to take it slow and have fun.

That said, where is the app.ini located? I found it previously, but the last update wiped all my settings and now I can't find that file to save my life. Getting annoying manually turning off fuel and tires again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Edit: ^^^^ What car? Some are very, very sensitive to aero damage.

Skip Barber. It didn't feel any harder to control; just couldn't get up to top speed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The skip barber has fragile rear suspension and the rear wing slows you down when it gets banged up. So if someone bangs you up, you will end up not being able to go as fast. I think the only engine problems you get with the skip is if you downshift too fast and overrev which will blow up your engine on the last lap.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm literally unable to overrev that car - it won't let me downshift. In fact, it seems to be VERY picky about letting me downshift in general and I often miss my shift. Any advice on that?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Blip the throttle on downshifts

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I find it's easier for me to time the downshifts using a stick sequential over paddles, fwiw.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Paddles in the skip sucks. It's too easy to shift too fast or too soon. The time it takes to move my hand from the wheel to the shifter is enough for it to work.

Scutty
Mar 28, 2013
I may be way off here but i recall only being able to downshift the Caddy CTS while braking.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

iwentdoodie posted:

That said, where is the app.ini located? I found it previously, but the last update wiped all my settings and now I can't find that file to save my life. Getting annoying manually turning off fuel and tires again.
Google is your friend, but it's in your C:\Users\<yourName>\Documents\iRacing\ folder

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KillHour posted:

I'm literally unable to overrev that car - it won't let me downshift. In fact, it seems to be VERY picky about letting me downshift in general and I often miss my shift. Any advice on that?
I noticed this too, sometimes it just won't downshift. The only way I've been able to get it to 100% down shift is using the clutch and blipping.

Until recently I've been mostly just using iRacing and other programs to learn tracks before heading there in real life. Now that I'm actually racing other people online I'm finding my single 36" TV as a screen isn't cutting it, my FOV is too narrow to race close with others. I'm torn between going three screen or going ahead and getting a VR setup. There's plenty of used VR setups available lately and it would be easier than rigging up a triple screen setup so I'm leaning that way at the moment. Those that have done both what are your thoughts? Also what's the minimum VR headset you'd recommend? I don't feel like dropping a grand on the new Steam setup, would rather use half that for VR and the other half for new pedals and wheel.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Going from an OG Vive to an Index made a huge difference in being able to see clearly and read gauge clusters. I haven't tried anything in between like a Vive pro or whatever the latest Oculus is though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I flat out refuse to play iracing in 2D anymore. The depth perception you get from VR is amazing and a game changer. Looking through corners is awesome. Also just being able to look out the side window to see where someone is rather than mapping a button to “look left” or “look right” can’t be overstated. Plus in cars like the skip you can straight up look over your shoulder.

Depth perception helps so much with judging braking zones, your proximity to other cars, the edge of the track, etc.

It’s such an unbelievable upgrade in immersion that, like I said, I won’t (can’t) go back.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Guess I'll look around and see what people are using, last time I looked was years ago when VR wasn't officially supported. Most of what I race is open wheel, just the visibility upgrade seems worth it to me. I should probably borrow a setup and make sure I don't get motion sickness or headaches before I jump in.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

NitroSpazzz posted:

Also what's the minimum VR headset you'd recommend?

I upgraded my Oculus CV1 to a Rift S last year, and I was very happy with the improved resolution of the Rift S. Now I can actually read the numbers on nearly all brake boards and dashboards. Also, the max 80 FPS means a little more headroom for eye candy, which I prefer.

Some are rather sensitive to lower frame rates when racing in VR, either because of discomfort with less than 90 fps or more, or because it breaks VR immersion. I'm personally fine with 40 fps with ASW so I can have all the car and track and grandstand details that makes the racing experience immersive for me. But some will even turn off shadows completely and disable nearly all nice graphics settings just to never have less than max FPS, simply because their reaction to frame rates in VR is very different.

So for anyone trying sim racing in VR for the first time, definitely be aware of the frame rate and how it affects you.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Lou Takki posted:

Everytime I hit a wall with laptimes on a particular car/circuit I quit for 24 hours and come back. I can't really lend advice to that particular car but that has helped me in general.

Thanks for this. I took your advice and started pumping out mid/high 25's from the start. Not sure if the online practice had different conditions than solo pratice but the car just ~felt~ better.

Does anyone have experience with the Kia? I feel like I can get 2 or 3 good laps then the grip just disappears from the front tires. Am I crazy? Or am I maybe abusing them too much?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I'm dipping back into iRacing now that everything's in lockdown. I got turned off by how much money you gotta blow to race last time around, but I've come back around to it and I've decided I'll spend a bit of money and see how much I enjoy it when I'm not just driving Mazdas around Lime Rock. What's a good basic set of cars/tracks for ~$100 for someone who's interested in road racing?

e: to add a little bit more info, the most important thing to me is that I'd be able to race whenever and ideally in many different series. I prefer closed wheel to open wheel, but Skip Barber and F3 look like a lot of fun. Eventually I think I might want to race iLMS

sum fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 23, 2020

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

sum posted:

I'm dipping back into iRacing now that everything's in lockdown. I got turned off by how much money you gotta blow to race last time around, but I've come back around to it and I've decided I'll spend a bit of money and see how much I enjoy it when I'm not just driving Mazdas around Lime Rock. What's a good basic set of cars/tracks for ~$100 for someone who's interested in road racing?

https://www.iracingstats.com/tracks/
https://www.iracingstats.com/#road

Skip Barber is far and away the most popular road series. Unfortunately, the next three weeks after Spa and Brands Hatch are on some fairly unpopular tracks. F3 is also a good place to start because it has a sprint D-class series and the more lengthy C-class series, but the car is harder to drive and can be frustrating to learn. Here's what I'd pick up for starters: Skip Barber, BMW GTE, Spa, Brands Hatch, Villeneuve, Road Atlanta.

If you're comfortable not having much to race in the next few weeks but think you'll be using iracing long term, I would buy the most popular road tracks as they'll always be useful and see play in most series. Watkins Glen, Spa, Monza, Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring

house of the dad fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 23, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The Skippy is so vital it should be free.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I'm really getting tired of shafted out of top 5's or wins in the last 5 laps. What's the point of having worked up the field only to get punted back to oblivion. :smith:

Edit: Also enjoy this from my race yesterday https://gfycat.com/smoggysimilargreendarnerdragonfly

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 24, 2020

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you want to race skips, NH is an excellent track for it, but it looks like it only gets in every other season or so.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

fuseshock posted:

I'm really getting tired of shafted out of top 5's or wins in the last 5 laps. What's the point of having worked up the field only to get punted back to oblivion. :smith:

Edit: Also enjoy this from my race yesterday https://gfycat.com/smoggysimilargreendarnerdragonfly

Welcome to plate racing breh. Nothing matters but the last 5 laps.
I've run like 8 races so far this week, I've been crashed in all but 2. But, I'm a glutton for punishment and plate tracks are about the only ones I stand a chance at winning on anyway since I started making 2nd and top split races, so here we go.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Jay_Zombie posted:

But, I'm a glutton for punishment and plate tracks are about the only ones I stand a chance at winning on anyway since I started making 2nd and top split races, so here we go.

:getin:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Mr. Powers posted:

If you want to race skips, NH is an excellent track for it, but it looks like it only gets in every other season or so.

NH Road is such a great Skip track.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
:siren: Another special Friday Gooncar event in 2hrs from this post! :siren:

Last practice event before the Nurburgring 24hr tomorrow, still slots on the 2nd team for that with the mission 'just drive around slowly and not die'.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
drat you goons, this thread made me order a wheel for my PC. Disregarding all advice from iRacing veterans, I went and got a cheap one if I decide I'm not interested 2 days later as often happens. Still hope to recapture the feeling I got when I beat my friends in my first karting time trial.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How cheap?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

T80 cheap or T150 cheap? The distinction is important

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017
Thrustmaster Ferrari secondhand, haven't ordered it yet (will be available in a couple of days, guy's not in town) but it seems decent by what I've read. There was a Logitech Momo available but got snatched up while I was undecided. Not sure if this is good, and something else might pop up in the next few days, but I'm ready to get an actual good one if I decide it's worth the money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

458 Italia or 458 spider?

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

458 Italia or 458 spider?

I don't even know if this is serious, but the full name is THRUSTMASTER FERRARI Racing Wheel Red Legend Edition.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

$69 new at Best Buy. That thing is going to be hot garbage. No force feedback at all. It also doesn't have a clutch pedal.

Edit: It looks like it's literally a rebranded T80.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 24, 2020

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

KillHour posted:

$69 new at Best Buy. That thing is going to be hot garbage. No force feedback at all. It also doesn't have a clutch pedal.

Edit: It looks like it's literally a rebranded T80.

Yeah that is exactly what it is, I have the same one. I don't know if I would grab one up second hand though. I have had this one for 1.5 years and it is starting to physically fall apart. The wheel is like loose in the housing and every once in a while it gets a little dead spot in it and I have to kinda shake it around a little to get it to go away. It was a good starter wheel for figuring out if iRacing was something I was definitely into but I'm glad to have a G290 on the way and I'm excited for the upgrade.

Evig Vandrar
Jan 15, 2017

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah that is exactly what it is, I have the same one. I don't know if I would grab one up second hand though. I have had this one for 1.5 years and it is starting to physically fall apart. The wheel is like loose in the housing and every once in a while it gets a little dead spot in it and I have to kinda shake it around a little to get it to go away. It was a good starter wheel for figuring out if iRacing was something I was definitely into but I'm glad to have a G290 on the way and I'm excited for the upgrade.

Ok, that's not bad. Due to the combo of corona and me working in tourism I guess I won't be able to invest in a better wheel for at least a couple of months. I don't think it should be worn out because they're selling some other stuff that their preteen son used, so I guess it was a matter of getting the kid a wheel and him figuring out he didn't care about it much.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The biggest issue is between the lack of force feedback and mushy pedals, you'll have no way to tell when you're losing grip. Trying to take corners is going to be blind trial and error - just don't want you to get the wrong impression and give up out of frustration. iRacing is difficult even with the best equipment.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Non FFB wheels are essentially huge game pad joysticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vando posted:

:siren: Another special Friday Gooncar event in 2hrs from this post! :siren:

Last practice event before the Nurburgring 24hr tomorrow, still slots on the 2nd team for that with the mission 'just drive around slowly and not die'.

What times? I'm in Australia so I can probably not die during the night.