Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Quote isn't edit, what a snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Same, but I’ve also noticed that some of the local small supermarkets have a limited selection of stuff, which COINCIDENTALLY is limited to the premium stuff. Tesco finest rather than value etc. I’m sure that’s not intentional at all.

That was always the case with the smaller Tescos etc, to be fair, even before The Event. If they have to limit their selection because small, why would they pick the stuff with the lowest profit margin?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You reckon?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Continuity RCP posted:

Giffgaff have been good for me but I've been told by a reliable source (a stranger in a beer garden several years ago) that they're actually run by the police

Same (well not the police bit), they're pretty good if you already own your phone or are willing to buy one upfront off Amazon (my midrange Motorola cost about 200 quid a couple of years ago). They're O2 underneath, if that matters to you re: coverage etc.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

In the run up to the Brexit vote my mum was very gammony, she said things like "Britain built a world empire it doesn't need the EU." "We've won two world wars." and used the phrase "blitz spirit". I called her today and she complained loudly that there was a lot missing from her Morrisons order, it was mostly crisps and biscuits rather than essentials. So I asked her where her blitz spirit was and she came as close to swearing I've ever heard. Sometimes you have to find entertainment wherever you can.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
thank god my parents are just the tepid liberal flavour of boomer rather than frothing gammons

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I can vouch for Giffgaff being perfectly good, I've been with them for years now. Good deal for what I get, and never had any issues with coverage, since it's piggybacking on O2.

As for food, getting by pretty comfortably on £50 a week for 2 people. Lidl is so good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been doing a £50 shop every two weeks since the start of March and judging by how full my chest freezer is and how fat I'm getting I would probably have survived just fine on half that.

I don't drink at home which probably saves a fair bit. And I will happily eat scrambled egg on toast every day (cost price about 35p) in good times and bad.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See I try and make sure I am purchasing things right, but I am not sure how to keep costs down on things. I even make sure that Breakfast and lunch are similar every day, and it doesn't seem to help!

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
GiffGaff are poo poo if you're PAYG though - they where charging me literally 5 times as much as 3hree do now
(15p min for voice, 5p for each Txt or mb of data vs 3p, 2p and 1p respectivly)

I get by of £30 a week for food and (non-alcoholic) drink. But I live on toast and marmite.. and veggy curry.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Renfield posted:

I get by of £30 a week for food and (non-alcoholic) drink. But I live on toast and marmite.. and veggy curry.

How does one make a good veggie curry that can be frozen? I've been making veggie Chilli and, although it is not my favourite, it isn't bad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Renfield posted:

GiffGaff are poo poo if you're PAYG though - they where charging me literally 5 times as much as 3hree do now
(15p min for voice, 5p for each Txt or mb of data vs 3p, 2p and 1p respectivly)

I mean I can believe that, but I pay a tenner a month for a goodybag and it does me just fine. Especially now I'm on the house wifi all the time, and the only person who actually phone-phones me ever is my dad.

Also my grocery bill is uh higher than those in here, but I do now have a well stocked fridge-freezer, freezer, and minifridge, and quite a lot of booze.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

thank god my parents are just the tepid liberal flavour of boomer rather than frothing gammons

lucky

well, my mam would be receptive to what I tell her if she wasn't constantly being bombarded with bullshit by my dad, who is literally The Male Online from the Viz, and from what I can tell from here is getting even more crazy now

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Today I am making cawl which in my family is just dumping whatever veggies you have available into a pot and letting it simmer for most of the day. Leeks essential. Meat optional (I'm going to fry up a couple of chicken breasts).

Farm Foods do bags of frozen chopped leeks which has been a gamechanger for my lazy rear end.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Food expenditure chat:

Just checked my figures and I'm averaging just under £6 a day this month of which 'fine food'= 3.38 per day and 'naughty food' = 2.55 per day.

Excluding March when I topped up my stockpile, my average from last June through to end of Feb was £7.25 of which 'fine food' = approx 5.27 per day and 'naughty food' = 1.98 per day.

(Fine = generally healthy normal people food, naughty = choc, biccies, cakes, icecream etc)

So I was a bit surprised at the difference until I compared 'fine' with 'naughty'.
I'm consuming 'fine' from my stockpile and not having to top it up much, but 'naughty' is stuff that I absolutely cannot trust myself to get in and store (eg it takes me 3 minutes longer to eat 7 kitkats than 1 so buying 7 to last a week doesn't happen, takes 1 minute longer to consume large family tub of yoghurt than a single size servicing so likewise, buying a couple of big tubs to last a week doesn't happen either. γνῶθι σεαυτόνi as they say.)

If I cooked from scratch, I could spend less but as someone further up said, life would be hell as I loathe and detest cooking and food prep activity with all my heart and all my soul (but funnily enough I'm actually a reasonably good cook when I do it it just gives me zero pleasure). My oven in my flat is still pristine from when I moved in.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 24, 2020

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I did a morrisons shop, bought a bag of potatoes, 5kg of rice and a load of instant noodles off amazon, and haven't bought food since. I'm getting diet coke withdrawl though, and I did spend £30 on spices (which arrived this morning!)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075QZPZMQ/ref=sns_myd_detail_page These are also delicious if you can get hold of them.

I may have also bought a dehydrator... It's awesome.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

Cybergoth nite erry nite.

I go to a club called antichrist and if they don't do a biohazard theme night as soon as the lockdown is lifted I will be mortified

e: just in case there's any wondering, this is quite emphatically not a pic of me

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

How does one make a good veggie curry that can be frozen? I've been making veggie Chilli and, although it is not my favourite, it isn't bad.

I generally don't - just do it as needed, using Pataks sauces and Quorn instead of chicken - so veggy as in vegetarian, not make with vegetables !

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

sassassin posted:

Today I am making cawl which in my family is just dumping whatever veggies you have available into a pot and letting it simmer for most of the day. Leeks essential. Meat optional (I'm going to fry up a couple of chicken breasts).

Farm Foods do bags of frozen chopped leeks which has been a gamechanger for my lazy rear end.

I dislike eating cawl on hot days though generally you can't go wrong while making it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ahhhh, got it.

I know a friend of mine made a very nice banana curry a few years back. Maybe I should ask for the recipe.

The only time I leave home is to do my food shop, so i would rather not do it all online. But that might be an idea going forward.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
This may be (almost certainly is) a stupid question, but that vaccine trial...

They've injected half the volunteers with the vaccine, and the other half with a meningitis vaccine as a control.

I get that - that makes sense.

But, if everyone is social distancing and isolating, surely that's going to massively lengthen the duration of the trial? Or are they telling these people that they can go out and about and lick toilet seats?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

GazChap posted:

This may be (almost certainly is) a stupid question, but that vaccine trial...

They've injected half the volunteers with the vaccine, and the other half with a meningitis vaccine as a control.

I get that - that makes sense.

But, if everyone is social distancing and isolating, surely that's going to massively lengthen the duration of the trial? Or are they telling these people that they can go out and about and lick toilet seats?

They can also catch the virus from being deliberately injected with the virus, which i assume is the plan

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was assuming they were going to deliberately expose them to it, yes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I assume the idea is you see whether the test vaccine group has a lower rate of catching it and then expand the trial to bigger sample sizes.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Has anyone been following what's been going on with Forward Momentum? Just read about them in on Novara:

https://novaramedia.com/2020/04/23/its-time-for-the-uk-left-to-regather-momentum/

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

Josef bugman posted:

Every couple of weeks I break down a couple heads of cauliflower and roast them with salt and garam masala, then make whatever sauce separately (you can also used a jarred sauce, I personally don't because I'm on an extremely lovely restricted diet). Just stir the veg through once the sauce is done. I try to avoid cooking veg in sauces because it's too easy to overcook them that way imo.

As for the sauce if I can't be arsed to make a proper korma or something I'll basically just sweat some onions with a bit of cumin, turmeric and ground coriander for ten minutes or so then chuck in some tinned tomatoes and let it simmer for at least a half hour. Maybe stir a bit of yoghurt or cream into the portion you're about to eat (not the stuff you're freezing, it can break when you reheat it). It's not too different to making a basic chilli in terms of technique, really.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
In this house we bleach our innards and that's that :mad:

You drink your Jeye's Fluid or there'll be no puddin!!!!

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Reading the replies on that is pretty funny because apparently there are tories who are opposed to clapping because they hate the NHS so much.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol that he is even coughing in his profile pic

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Possible thread title for may - Drinking Bleach to Own the SNP

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Disinfecting the Virus of Life

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nicola Sturgeon doesn't speak for me either. But on this occasion at least, I'll agree with her.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Tesseraction posted:

Disinfecting the Virus of Life

Read this to the tune of Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

OwlFancier posted:

I was assuming they were going to deliberately expose them to it, yes.

You 100% do not do this its wildly unethical. Right now the Phase 1 testing that's happening is just to see if it generates an immune response and if it randomly kills people/what side effects there are. Proving efficacy is not the goal but they will likely roll it into bigger phase II & III trials due to the urgency.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it more or less unethical than the harm that would come from delaying the efficacy proof?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm surprised they didn't drag her from her home and tie her to a giant poppy.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Is it more or less unethical than the harm that would come from delaying the efficacy proof?

If it produces the needed antibodies then it works, no need to infect people.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Let us say, for the sake of argument, that this all passes in a couple of months. 2020 was a write off; working from home has been shown to not do that much harm; people have been proved, yet again, to have the memories of goldfish, the world still turns on its axis, chickens still lay eggs etc.

The system has been tested, and has not collapsed. How best to challenge it then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You can do that, e.g. by selecting a bunch of young healthy volunteers to try minimise the bodycount but then your data is garbage because you cant test on at-risk groups.

It's been thought of and adddressed e.g. this link and some people support it.
https://academic.oup.com/jid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/infdis/jiaa152/5814216

So it's something people are considering but it doesnt really speed up the testing process much compared to just making the study size bigger after you establish the vaccine isnt going to cause serious side effects in most cases and you end out with a bodycount that you are directly responsible for which is problematic to say the least.